ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa recruiting thread.

The more you keep digging your heels in on this loses you more and more credibility with every post you make on the subject.

Put the shovel down.
So to be clear, you want the Iowa wrestling program to burn to the ground, but still come here and advise Iowa wrestling fans on how to act and what to believe.

Reactions: derekforhawks
And a glance at what's lined up for the next top 10 p4p Big Board class commits ...

PSU: #7 Barr, #10 Kasak
Iowa: #2 Kueter, #5 Arnold

Iowa got a stud with Kueter, but he's also going to play football and his weight right now (220lb) is not ideal for collegiate wrestling - too big for 197 and needs to add weight for hwt.

PSU: #2 Lilledahl, #5 Sealy, #6 Ryder, #8 Gibson, #9 Mirasola
Iowa: none

So that totals 7 to 2 top 10 recruits over the next 2 years, in favor of PSU. Not even close.

PSU has 5 out of the top 10 recruits in 2024, while the hundred other D1 schools fight for the remaining 5. Incredible.

Yes, Cael is truly an amazing "coach."

digging a little deeper....

PSU:

Steen #12 (Howard #7)
RBY #12
Bartlett #4
Van Ness #4
Haines #7
Facundo #3
Starocci #9
Brooks #2
Dean #74
Kerkv #1

So PSU had 9 out of 10 weight classes with guys ranked in top 12 p4p coming out of HS. The exception was Dean at #74.

PSU wasn't exactly taking a big chance, needing to "develop" Dean, since he was an NCAA runnerup before transferring to PSU. Using his #74 ranking to make it look like PSU wasn't stacked to the eyeballs with top tier guys is very misleading.

For comparison, here's what Iowa had

Lee #2
Teske #34
Woods #21
Murin #44
Siebrect # not in top 100?
Kennedy #3
Brands #93
Assad #29
Warner #7
Cass #14

Pretty lopsided, no matter how you cut it.
We like our guys.

Because Iowa is out there making big NIL offers yet struggling to close deals.
I don’t disagree with that and it was disappointing. psu however still has the biggest war chest and it isn’t close. The next 990 forms will be interesting, hopefully the gap is closing buts it’s a big hill to climb. Their interest income alone is impressive

And a glance at what's lined up for the next top 10 p4p Big Board class commits ...

Iowa got a stud with Kueter, but he's also going to play football and his weight right now (220lb) is not ideal for collegiate wrestling - too big for 197 and needs to add weight for hwt.

So that totals 7 to 2 top 10 recruits over the next 2 years, in favor of PSU. Not even close.

PSU has 5 out of the top 10 recruits in 2024, while the hundred other D1 schools fight for the remaining 5. Incredible.

We’ll find out tomorrow if Iowa is getting a top ranked guy from the class of 2024. Have to think yes.

Reactions: TarpHawk

Is Gibson really #8?

Really wasn’t what I was asking.
It is what I know and it addresses your point that, yes, helping guys on the team realize NIL opportunities is a priority. In terms of dollars, I don’t know. My impression is that Spencer had a six figure opportunity but that was unique. AA type guys / highly ranked recruits are more like five figure opportunities. And I don’t mean to suggest there is a direct nexus between performance and NIL opportunities. It is just my impression as to how opportunities sort of shake out.

It is what I know and it addresses your point that, yes, helping guys on the team realize NIL opportunities is a priority. In terms of dollars, I don’t know. My impression is that Spencer had a six figure opportunity but that was unique. AA type guys / highly ranked recruits are more like five figure opportunities. And I don’t mean to suggest there is a direct nexus between performance and NIL opportunities. It is just my impression as to how opportunities sort of shake out.
My question was not really that others get them, but more like how do you handle the guys who are already on your roster when you start to make bigger deals. No different than when an employer has a salary structure and they alter that structure to bring in someone considered to be necessary. Well, those already on your payroll feel they are necessary too. In this case, there are 10 spots that are realistically no more important than the other. Not a Quarterback or potential first round NBA draft pick. Equal as it matters to the team score. These deals will ultimately bring jealousy, dissension, and turnover. If anyone thinks otherwise, they have never had to be a manager of people.

And yes, I understand an athlete like SL would command something that others can't claim to. I'm talking about the AA level that Iowa should be regularly in the mix for whether already on the roster or not.

If PK is truly able to go 157 (I'm super skeptical), offering Caliendo a nice bag is a no brainer. He's a mid level recruit who is ascendant and young. Potential finalist down the road looking at the 165 landscape.

And nobody should be shocked about NIL deals at this point. Largest fan base in the country. Bound to have several with too much money willing to throw it around.

If PK is truly able to go 157 (I'm super skeptical), offering Caliendo a nice bag is a no brainer. He's a mid level recruit who is ascendant and young. Potential finalist down the road looking at the 165 landscape.

And nobody should be shocked about NIL deals at this point. Largest fan base in the country. Bound to have several with too much money willing to throw it around.
Mid level recruit needs a nice bag?

He's a mid level recruit who quickly developed into an AA as a freshman. He's elite now. Freshman AA at the deepest weight in the country. The point is his arrow is pointing up.
To be clear, he benefited from the best draw you could POSSIBLY get at the most difficult weight. Do you not think Kennedy AA's as well from that draw? Here is Caliendo's match by match results at NCAA's:

Michael Caliendo III over 26 seed Brevin Cassella(Bing) 6-1
10 seed Carson Kharchla(tOSU) over Michael Caliendo III 8-3
Michael Caliendo III over 8 seed Matthew Olguin(ORST) 9-8
Michael Caliendo III over 15 seed Justin McCoy(UVA) 7-4
Michale Caliendo III over 29 seed Caleb Fish(MSU) 12-6
9 seed Shane Griffith(STAN) over Michael Caliendo III 3-2
Michael Caliendo III over 12 seed Izzak Olejnik 6-2

The guy is solid, but I would still take Kennedy over him without much thought. Unless Kennedy can make 157 without killing himself, this move just doesn't make much sense...

To be clear, he benefited from the best draw you could POSSIBLY get at the most difficult weight. Do you not think Kennedy AA's as well from that draw? Here is Caliendo's match by match results at NCAA's:

The guy is solid, but I would still take Kennedy over him without much thought. Unless Kennedy can make 157 without killing himself, this move just doesn't make much sense...
My thoughts as well. He does have an impressive win over Griffith in the dual 6-3, but also losses to him at Scuffle and NCAA's (I'd say that's about even with Kennedy splitting 1-1 with Amine, who eventually beat Griffith at NCAA's).

The other angle worth consideration is maybe if Kennedy is going to be dinged with a gambling violation. Still leaves 2 years of overlap/logjam between the 2. Not the best allocation of resources, IMO. Maybe they just want to stack as much available talent as possible and let the cream rise to the top.

If I had my druthers, I would much rather see Franek at 157 and Kennedy at 165. If Kennedy can produce at a high level at 157, he should already have been there. The fact that he never was, tells me all I need to know. Big bags of money to Mr. Franek, please!!!

My thoughts as well. He does have an impressive win over Griffith in the dual 6-3, but also losses to him at Scuffle and NCAA's (I'd say that's about even with Kennedy splitting 1-1 with Amine, who eventually beat Griffith at NCAA's).

The other angle worth consideration is maybe if Kennedy is going to be dinged with a gambling violation. Still leaves 2 years of overlap/logjam between the 2. Not the best allocation of resources, IMO. Maybe they just want to stack as much available talent as possible and let the cream rise to the top.
The gambling quandary is something I didn't consider. I wouldn't want to be the coaches waiting on sanctions, while trying to figure out their roster going forward...

Adds a bit of perspective, doesn't it?

Yes, that's why I said if PK can go 157. If not, they're similar guys (though I like Caliendo's upside more).

If I had my druthers, I would much rather see Franek at 157 and Kennedy at 165. If Kennedy can produce at a high level at 157, he should already have been there. The fact that he never was, tells me all I need to know. Big bags of money to Mr. Franek, please!!!
Disagree with this because Franek is a 1 year rental in a year Iowa won't be competitive. Would rather have 3 years of Caliendo.

Yes, that's why I said if PK can go 157. If not, they're similar guys (though I like Caliendo's upside more).

Disagree with this because Franek is a 1 year rental in a year Iowa won't be competitive. Would rather have 3 years of Caliendo.
Franek is a top 4 guy at a need weight. Considering I have SERIOUS doubts on Kennedy being effective at 157, I just don't see what having Caliendo and Kennedy battling over 165 does. Especially if it ties up any more scholarship money. Neither of them strike me as guys that could easily fill into 174 after Brands leaves and that is the most likely spot for Arnold anyway.

Reactions: Ilhawk135

The guy is solid, but I would still take Kennedy over him without much thought. Unless Kennedy can make 157 without killing himself, this move just doesn't make much
Franek is a top 4 guy at a need weight. Considering I have SERIOUS doubts on Kennedy being effective at 157, I just don't see what having Caliendo and Kennedy battling over 165 does. Especially if it ties up any more scholarship money. Neither of them strike me as guys that could easily fill into 174 after Brands leaves and that is the most likely spot for Arnold anyway.
If we get Angelo later today, some combination of him and Arnold will hold down 184/174 for the next 4-5 years. His brother would be added to the 157/165 mix with Kennedy and Caliendo for the next 3 years also. If that’s the case, one will transfer I’m sure.

Reactions: Trapper85

Also, "competitive" is relative. Yes, they wouldn't be competitive with PSU. But, no one else will be either. With that said, taking 2nd again still matters. With all the sharks in the waters when the whole Chittum fiasco went viral, it would still be very nice to finish ahead of everyone else.

I get that 2nd sucks to many on here, but it is still a hell of a lot better than 5th or worse...

Also, "competitive" is relative. Yes, they wouldn't be competitive with PSU. But, no one else will be either. With that said, taking 2nd again still matters. With all the sharks in the waters when the whole Chittum fiasco went viral, it would still be very nice to finish ahead of everyone else.

I get that 2nd sucks to many on here, but it is still a hell of a lot better than 5th or worse...
Would definitely love Franek. Just saying that in a hypothetical choice of PK 157 (if possible) / Caliendo 165 vs. Franek at 157, I'd take Caliendo for the 2 extra years.

The other thing to consider is Franek is old. Seems like we've seen a lot of regression from 6/7th year guys.

I don't need to see another wrestler that's too short for a weight class.

Iowa needs to adjust their body type profile where they can't finish a takedown as soon as the opponent "sprawls".

JMO

How would this look 125 Ayala 133 Teske 141 Woods 149 Voinovich 157 Franek 165 Caliendo 174 Kennedy 184 Brands 197 Assad Hwt Cassioppi. That team would compete and make the team race exciting. Add a fast car at 197 and who knows
Assad can’t finish shots on 184’s, that will be a bigger problem against bigger stronger apponents. Did Grant Gambrall have that same problem when he tried moving up to 197 also.

Reactions: MitchLL and xjohnx
My question was not really that others get them, but more like how do you handle the guys who are already on your roster when you start to make bigger deals. No different than when an employer has a salary structure and they alter that structure to bring in someone considered to be necessary. Well, those already on your payroll feel they are necessary too. In this case, there are 10 spots that are realistically no more important than the other. Not a Quarterback or potential first round NBA draft pick. Equal as it matters to the team score. These deals will ultimately bring jealousy, dissension, and turnover. If anyone thinks otherwise, they have never had to be a manager of people.

And yes, I understand an athlete like SL would command something that others can't claim to. I'm talking about the AA level that Iowa should be regularly in the mix for whether already on the roster or not.
I understand and generally agree, or at least wonder the same thing. But to a degree, is this not already true even for schollies? Not everybody gets/deserves the same scholly money and the room is not in disarray because of it. And NIL money is not coming from the coaches or U (i.e., the 'employer' here) anyway. Some guys have wealthy parents, some not. It's life. NIL is certaintly a new world, but I don't see the analogy to the employer example you used.

For all the negative recruiting talk, hasn’t Iowa now signed three top-5 recruits from the classes of 2023 and 2024? (And it would have been four had Jesuroga not opted for a military career.)

Reactions: TarpHawk and MSU158
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT