ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State preview/predictions

Will Tom be on the hot seat after we lose 18-12?
John Candy No GIF by Laff

This is going to be a great dual meet and a must watch for all wrestling fans.

I think we start at 125, I hope Ayala comes out strong this week and starts us off with a win.

Franek will NOT lose to chittum, as some are saying.

I'm gonna need a break from Turkey so on Sunday I'm gonna go with some good old Italian sunday gravy with pasta! Thats what I got to add, go HAWKS

Not to stir anything up, just a serious wrestling question. I was at a club practice the other night, and some of us dads were discussing this matchup. Admittedly, we are all located in central pa, but most of these guys are at the age where we all wanted to wrestle for Iowa. Just getting that out to state that there wasn't an Iowa hatred. We were trying to think of a wrestler that has been completely developed at Iowa.

This all stemmed from the fact that the suspensions absolutely suck, but other teams have overcome holes in their lineup. Usually it requires some studs to jump levels and step up. Just curious the last wrestler to do that at Iowa. You guys have had some absolutely hammers over the years, but a lot of those guys came in and or transferred in that way.

Just curious of your thoughts since you guys are closer to the program, and may have known some of these kids since high school.

This all stemmed from the fact that the suspensions absolutely suck, but other teams have overcome holes in their lineup. Usually it requires some studs to jump levels and step up. Just curious the last wrestler to do that at Iowa. You guys have had some absolutely hammers over the years, but a lot of those guys came in and or transferred in that way.

Last wrestler to do it IAW your narrow definition? Nelson Brands.

Last wrestler to do it IAW your narrow definition? Nelson Brands.
That's who we were thinking. I wasn't completely familiar with him coming out of high school. I also thought Murin. I love the way the kid wrestles, and I think he went to the perfect program for his style. Maybe Desanto? He was solid as a transfer, but definitely improved in that environment. I was kinda vague in the definition. I guess I was just curious because of the weird high school rules. I didn't get to see a lot of those kids at some big tournaments. I'm pretty familiar with a lot of the East Coast kids, and can see what jumps they make from high school.

Not to stir anything up, just a serious wrestling question. I was at a club practice the other night, and some of us dads were discussing this matchup. Admittedly, we are all located in central pa, but most of these guys are at the age where we all wanted to wrestle for Iowa. Just getting that out to state that there wasn't an Iowa hatred. We were trying to think of a wrestler that has been completely developed at Iowa.

Just curious of your thoughts since you guys are closer to the program, and may have known some of these kids since high school.

How many other teams overcome the loss of 2 AAs and a 3rd multi-time NCAA qualifier? I’d argue only one team could do that and still put a great team on the mat for a dual.

I 100% agree. Especially given the nature of it being last minute. Maybe some past Iowa teams. It's some garbage suspensions for sure. It just got us going down a crazy rabbit hole thinking about what teams could push everyone else to really step up. It was just a bunch of old guys bench wrestling.

Some strikes and gutters, ups and downs today against Oregon State, but on to the next one. ISU has dropped 17 straight duals to Iowa, last winning in 2004. This could be their best chance in years to knock out the Hawks, which would obviously piss us all off a great deal.

Rankings per Intermat.

#8 Iowa vs. # 10 Iowa State

125: #11 Ayala vs. #17 Kysen Terukina. Terukina majored Eric #6 Barnett today, which was surprising, and Drake looked off this afternoon. I'm gonna say today's loss motivates Drake to bounce back and win by decision. Hawks 3-0.

133: #9 Teske vs. #18 Evan Frost. I like Teske by a comfortable decision. Hawks 6-0.

141: #1 Woods vs. #15 (at 149) Anthony Echemendia. I think Real is able to get to his legs and maybe a turn. Real by decision. Hawks 9-0.

149: # 9 VV vs. Casey Swiderski (NR by Intermat, Flo has him at #13). Swid beat #14 Zargo pretty handily today and can be hard to score on. VV needs to clean up his finishes to win this one. I'm going with Swid in a close decision. Hawks 9-3.

157: #2 Franek vs. #19 Cody Chittum. Hilton could be salty in this one after Chittum decommitted from Iowa. I think Franek controls this match as a savvy veteran, wins by decision. Hawks 12-3.

165: #5 Caliendo vs. #2 David Carr. Carr is just on a different tier, wins by decision. Hawks 12-6.

174: NR Arnold vs. #22 MJ Gaitan. Assuming Gabe goes again, I like him to control this match from neutral and push to get the major. Hawks 16-6.

184: #29 Stafford vs. #5 Will Feldkamp. Will need something big to pull this match out. Feldkamp by major, Hawks 16-10.

197: #23 Glazier vs. #25 Julien Broderson. This will be a big one. Think Glazier gets a TD late to seal it in a gritty decision. Hawks 19-10.

Heavy: NR Hill vs. #7 Yonger Bastida. Mismatch here, but I'm gonna say Hill is able to keep it to a major. Wouldn't matter for the dual if the previous go as above. Hawks win 19-14.

Not much room for error, and we almost have to have wins at 25, 33, 74, and 97. I will not be going, as I can't stand that stinking place and its fans.
I got:

Ayala be dec: 3-0
Some strikes and gutters, ups and downs today against Oregon State, but on to the next one. ISU has dropped 17 straight duals to Iowa, last winning in 2004. This could be their best chance in years to knock out the Hawks, which would obviously piss us all off a great deal.

Rankings per Intermat.

#8 Iowa vs. # 10 Iowa State

125: #11 Ayala vs. #17 Kysen Terukina. Terukina majored Eric #6 Barnett today, which was surprising, and Drake looked off this afternoon. I'm gonna say today's loss motivates Drake to bounce back and win by decision. Hawks 3-0.

133: #9 Teske vs. #18 Evan Frost. I like Teske by a comfortable decision. Hawks 6-0.

141: #1 Woods vs. #15 (at 149) Anthony Echemendia. I think Real is able to get to his legs and maybe a turn. Real by decision. Hawks 9-0.

149: # 9 VV vs. Casey Swiderski (NR by Intermat, Flo has him at #13). Swid beat #14 Zargo pretty handily today and can be hard to score on. VV needs to clean up his finishes to win this one. I'm going with Swid in a close decision. Hawks 9-3.

157: #2 Franek vs. #19 Cody Chittum. Hilton could be salty in this one after Chittum decommitted from Iowa. I think Franek controls this match as a savvy veteran, wins by decision. Hawks 12-3.

165: #5 Caliendo vs. #2 David Carr. Carr is just on a different tier, wins by decision. Hawks 12-6.

174: NR Arnold vs. #22 MJ Gaitan. Assuming Gabe goes again, I like him to control this match from neutral and push to get the major. Hawks 16-6.

184: #29 Stafford vs. #5 Will Feldkamp. Will need something big to pull this match out. Feldkamp by major, Hawks 16-10.

197: #23 Glazier vs. #25 Julien Broderson. This will be a big one. Think Glazier gets a TD late to seal it in a gritty decision. Hawks 19-10.

Heavy: NR Hill vs. #7 Yonger Bastida. Mismatch here, but I'm gonna say Hill is able to keep it to a major. Wouldn't matter for the dual if the previous go as above. Hawks win 19-14.

Not much room for error, and we almost have to have wins at 25, 33, 74, and 97. I will not be going, as I can't stand that stinking place and its fans.
125: 3-0
133: 6-0
141:9-0
149: 12-0
157: 15-0
165: 15-3
174: 18-3
184: 18-7
197: 18-10
HVY: 18-14

Iowa wins. If Ayala loses, tough day.

Reactions: Sharky1203
That's who we were thinking. I wasn't completely familiar with him coming out of high school. I also thought Murin. I love the way the kid wrestles, and I think he went to the perfect program for his style. Maybe Desanto? He was solid as a transfer, but definitely improved in that environment. I was kinda vague in the definition. I guess I was just curious because of the weird high school rules. I didn't get to see a lot of those kids at some big tournaments. I'm pretty familiar with a lot of the East Coast kids, and can see what jumps they make from high school.

I don't think Nelson was top 100. He had to wrestle up at 184 in 2021 because of Kemerer and Marinelli. His worse loss in his career was to Kane at NCAAs by major...I think that is the only time he ever got bonused. 2022 I believe he was injured. I don't think many, even on here, expected him to AA last year. Probably the best example of a guy like that would probably be Dan Dennis. Not many had heard of him and basically came to Iowa on book money. I don't believe he won a state title in Illinois. You probably know the rest. Lugo would be another guy...RD of 12 his freshman year, 1-2 his sophomore year. Transferred...a decent season his RS Jr year as he AA'd. Went 21-1, Big then champ, and presumptive #1 seed in 2020.

Our problem isn't developing guys into solid wrestlers or good depth...we have that for days. Our problem is this: We can't afford to have a top ten p4p miss, PSU can as they are just steamrolling everyone else in the recruiting game. Joe Lee doesn't workout, no biggie...bring in Facundo. Facundo doesn't (jury is still out here I think), well let's bring in an even better guy in Mesenbrink.

I don't think Nelson was top 100. He had to wrestle up at 184 in 2021 because of Kemerer and Marinelli. His worse loss in his career was to Kane at NCAAs by major...I think that is the only time he ever got bonused. 2022 I believe he was injured. I don't think many, even on here, expected him to AA last year. Probably the best example of a guy like that would probably be Dan Dennis. Not many had heard of him and basically came to Iowa on book money. I don't believe he won a state title in Illinois. You probably know the rest. Lugo would be another guy...RD of 12 his freshman year, 1-2 his sophomore year. Transferred...a decent season his RS Jr year as he AA'd. Went 21-1, Big then champ, and presumptive #1 seed in 2020.

Our problem isn't developing guys into solid wrestlers or good depth...we have that for days. Our problem is this: We can't afford to have a top ten p4p miss, PSU can as they are just steamrolling everyone else in the recruiting game. Joe Lee doesn't workout, no biggie...bring in Facundo. Facundo doesn't (jury is still out here I think), well let's bring in an even better guy in Mesenbrink.
Agreed. The biggest one to me in recent memory is Lugo. He made a huge jump once he fully bought into the Iowa way.

I hope you're right, because I bet my Cyclone friend $200 saying just that. Last week took some of the confidence I had but a lot of you guys made good points about Cali making the adjustment to the funk and showing his attack rate and now I can see the positives. I think MC matches up decently here and {covers head from thrown objects} like our guy a lot.
Betting in Iowa...who woulda thunk it?

Hope like hell I'm wrong, but I think Ayala is going to have a tough time with Terukina. Unless Terukina craps the bed, Drake is really going to have to step it up to win this one.
I actually like Ayala to win though think it will be a battle. I think he's got something to prove after whatever the hell that was that happened against Oregon State. Also, I"m hoping Caliendo wrestles Carr smart from a team perspective. As much as I would love to see him shock the world and win, I don't see that as a possibility. So I'm hoping he does all the right stuff to keep it close. I think Glazer is going shine and I think we're going to win this dual. I'm predicting bonus from Glazer. On a final note, I'm thinking that if we don't win the dual and one of the reasons is VV losing due to his inability to get a TD - like last week - I think we let Ferrari have a go at it. VV has a solid top game, but aside from that I don't see any game. Hopefully TnT can fix things in the room, but I want action on the mat when it's showtime. :)

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving with loved ones! :)

top ten p4p misses will be more frequent when you only get one in the room every 5-10 years. There have been so few I don't even know who the misses would be.

Reactions: Boro407
Ayala will win.

I may be in the minority, but Caliendo will not allow bonus points.

Feldkamp is overrated. Avoid his double overlooks and fireman’s and you’re in the match. Plan to catch him in those and you get the fall. Not saying Swafford will do that, but he can certainly avoid bonus points.

ISU fans are going to be pretty quiet after this one.
The 3pt takedown helps Carr tremendously

Reactions: Inthecircle
Dresser's history of pulling stunts like that ain't too good.

So, yeah, he might do it.

Kevin's best squad vs one of Iowa's weakest this year.

A lot on the line for Orange.
Who had a the first Kevin Dresser signature orange? This guy did.

Been watching these two teams go at it for 46 years since I was 14 and until Iowa State wins I believe Iowa wins.
It's like anything else...eventually the downtrodden program has to win.

But with the buildup and expectations this year, if Iowa wins there will be many ISU fans on suicide watch.
And Hilton security better be on "high alert".

I like the way you think, bonus from Glazier would be huge.
I think Ferrari will be our guy at 149 after he enrolls second semester.
I hope VV puts it all together on this one because if he wrestles like last week it won't be pretty. I'm excited about seeing Ferrari hitting the mat at 49...ready for some action. And I'm good if VV can pull it together but so far I haven't seen what I'm hoping we'll see more of from our Iowa boys...action and scoring.

PK 74 and Gabe 84 for the ISU dual would be an interesting wrinkle. Could be fun to see Gabe and Naak continue their HS rivalry on a much bigger stage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT