ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Oregon State Predictions 11/19/2023

In your years as a Mighty Force at Loras, did you manage to regularly beat your Augsburg (and Wartburg) opponents?
I was actually a rare thorn in the side of Wartburg… I don’t know why I did well against those guys… Was literally the only guy on the team who seemed to have a winning record against them and I generally didn’t take things too seriously there… so it was odd. Some luck for sure… I think in most matches I’d “catch them.” I got beat by one dude who wasn’t even their starter once tho. I never beat an Augsburg guy that I remember.

Last edited:
I was actually a rare nail in the side of Wartburg… I don’t know why I did well against those guys… Was literally the only guy on the team who seemed to have a winning record against them and I generally didn’t take things too seriously there… so it was odd. Some luck for sure… I think in most matches I’d “catch them.” I got beat by one dude who wasn’t even their starter once tho. I never beat an Augsburg guy that I remember.
Is it safe to assume you knew where East Dubuque was located at that time?

Reactions: PinDoxRico
I think labeling the heavy from Augsburg as "D3" as an indicator of talent is unfair. While yes in fact he is in D3, he without question has some skills and would pretty likely be in the top 15ish "D1" heavies.
I tend to agree with the vast majority of your posts (typically the political ones), but D-1 and D-3 are worlds apart. Kim from Augsburg is ranked #1 in D-3 and finished 3rd last year at their tournament. Maryland’s Seth Nevills is ranked 25th in D-1 and was a 4X CA state champ. Dude has wins over Tate Orndorff and Christian Lance. tOSU’s Feldman was the number one big man coming out of HS a couple years ago and he’s ranked 18th. D-1 is really, really tough. Some of these exceptional D-3/ D-2 kids hang with D-1 guys for a period or two, and then the wheels fall off in the 3rd. There are of course outliers here and there, but the best D-3 heavy beat Iowa’s 3rd best Heavy 2-1. Facts not feelings (amIright?)

Reactions: vhsalum and el dub
I tend to lean slightly to the optimistic side when it comes to the Hawks, but I don’t share your optimism on Hill. Not being able to get out from under a D-3 Heavy does not bode well for D-1 success. He’s not currently ranked in the top 30, so I wouldn’t put him middle of the pack. McDermott is middle of the pack (ranked #18). He’s got size and he’s a pinner. I hope Oregon St isn’t within 6 when we get to the heavies.

I can't say this is completely unfair. Though bigger than last year, he still gives up a good amount of weight.

The middle of the pack comment comes from the standpoint that there are nearly 80 D-1 programs and I'd bet (shooting from the hip) he'd fall somewhere in the 40s currently. Boone McD is decidedly not "middle of the pack" as he was in the top 32 last year and as you noted, ranked 18th.

I can't say this is completely unfair. Though bigger than last year, he still gives up a good amount of weight.

The middle of the pack comment comes from the standpoint that there are nearly 80 D-1 programs and I'd bet (shooting from the hip) he'd fall somewhere in the 40s currently. Boone McD is decidedly not "middle of the pack" as he was in the top 32 last year and as you noted, ranked 18th.
I don’t recall seeing him compete last year, he still looks pretty small for a Heavy, which unfortunately is going to hinder him. He’s obviously a hard worker, that has put himself in this position with raw effort and determination, and I applaud him for that. Your definition of middle of the pack differs from mine. I don’t know much about Heavies ranked out of the top 30, but I’ll concede to your point that he’s likely somewhere in the top 40-50 range.

I tend to agree with the vast majority of your posts (typically the political ones), but D-1 and D-3 are worlds apart. Kim from Augsburg is ranked #1 in D-3 and finished 3rd last year at their tournament. Maryland’s Seth Nevills is ranked 25th in D-1 and was a 4X CA state champ. Dude has wins over Tate Orndorff and Christian Lance. tOSU’s Feldman was the number one big man coming out of HS a couple years ago and he’s ranked 18th. D-1 is really, really tough. Some of these exceptional D-3/ D-2 kids hang with D-1 guys for a period or two, and then the wheels fall off in the 3rd. There are of course outliers here and there, but the best D-3 heavy beat Iowa’s 3rd best Heavy 2-1. Facts not feelings (amIright?)
My only point intended was that there are good quality athletes at the D3 level who just choose to compete there. The vast majority of the time there is a reason why they are there and that is the talent. But some can compete just fine at the D1 level. Heck - the Bears have a D2 guy starting at QB as a rookie in the NFL. I have no dog in the fight here, as they say. Just in this case I didn't think it was an automatic reason to write off Hill.

Tom was hot in his press conference today. Imagine someone will post it soon. Caliendo and Swafford took questions

Not taking sides at all in what one should take away from the Kim / Hill match but I gotta chime in

1. D1 vs D2 vs D3 and who competes at which level I think really needs to be done on a sport by sport level .

Comparing football to wrestling not fair .

There are numerous examples of D3 baseball players playing in the pros . Again not fair .

2 lots of reasons kids go d2 or d3 the top ones I can think of are scholarships , playing time, academics and time commitment .

3 with all that said, I can’t think of anyone I know or know of that was elite at there sport that didn’t go d1. But to be honest if I try hard enough I would think of someone .

Then I was reminded of this…

Agree that I’m hoping to see Gabe a bit early in the year (assuming he will then end up redshirting and Kennedy will slot in at 174 once he returns from his suspension).

Would love to see Keuter but that is probably more likely when football season is over.

Looks like we SHOULD be able to beat Oregon St without all of the aforementioned guys.

ISU might be trickier though. Could definitely see Gabe going for that one is Kennedy can’t.

Teske and Rhodes 133
Gabe and Riggins 174 will be listed

Ayala
Teske/Rhodes
Woods
Vic
Franek
Caliendo
Gabe / Riggins
Swafford
Glazier
Hill

Caliendo vs. Olguin should be a good rematch, Caliendo winner 9-8 at Nationals last year in Rd. 2 of consi.

Has the Beavers travel itinerary been confirmed?
You said "Beavers"
Beavers are cool.

Beavis And Butthead Comedy GIF by Paramount+

I thought it was established that the DOJ targeted Iowa and Iowa State because an athlete's mom said someone was using her credit card to place wagers.

Is Tom suggesting some sort of conspiracy theory?
“You’re sports, media. Ask the question.” Or, “We like our guys”?
The latter.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
I thought it was established that the DOJ targeted Iowa and Iowa State because an athlete's mom said someone was using her credit card to place wagers.

The latter.
That’s gonna pi$$ some posters off, bruh. Lol

Reactions: TarpHawk
Not taking sides at all in what one should take away from the Kim / Hill match but I gotta chime in

1. D1 vs D2 vs D3 and who competes at which level I think really needs to be done on a sport by sport level .

Comparing football to wrestling not fair .

There are numerous examples of D3 baseball players playing in the pros . Again not fair .

2 lots of reasons kids go d2 or d3 the top ones I can think of are scholarships , playing time, academics and time commitment .

3 with all that said, I can’t think of anyone I know or know of that was elite at there sport that didn’t go d1. But to be honest if I try hard enough I would think of someone .

Then I was reminded of this…

It’s really just case by case in wrestling. The vast majority of the time, a D3 champ would not make the podium at the D1 level. They would be somewhere between 25+ seed through DNQ types at the D1 level. But on rare occasion there’s an exception, like the Wartburg HWT from Spencer, Iowa several years ago. He could compete. I’m sure a lot of others could make that list.

My take is the Augsburg guy isn’t the exception but would be one who’d be a decent bet to qualify, and Hill lost by 1.

Reactions: Bosox2004

The latter.
The issue isn't that the DOJ investigated Iowa & ISU athletes. Most athletes didn't do anything illegal, so therefor they are safe from prosecution and the investigation proved that.

But what the coaches are pissed at, is that the DOJ then turned their findings over to the NCAA. From my understanding these were findings that the NCAA would have never had access to without the DOJ handing it over.

No conspiracy, just a severe breach of privacy.

From that perspective, the coaches have every right to be pissed.

Perhaps I'm wrong and if so, please someone correct me.

The latter.

Sure but why not just investigate that individual? All of our guys made legal bets yet they were still reported.
Also, UNI and Drake athletes were not investigated and/or reported. Why not? It’s not like I want any of them to be get busted but one can see where Tom is going with this. Iowa/ISU were targeted and he wants to know why. Who is the individual that made this call? Media needs to ask that.

The NCAA are sticking their heads in the sand on this issue. They only uncorked their heads to look up, make Iowa and ISU an example, and stuck it back in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT