ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa WBB 2025 Recruiting Thread

DB is not coming to Iowa. Nothing to be gained by wondering why. She is young. She has a right to choose. Wish her well and move on.
Agree with everything you said except the statement about wondering. There's always something to be gained by wondering why in life. Always. Whether its positive or negative gains is up to the observer.

When racist Iowa fans were attacking Angel Reese all over social media, she was on Angel Reese's side (yep, there are consequences, folks). She also retweeted an Ohio State victory tweet after they beat Iowa. Based on other social media activity, I think it's fair to say she was probably cheering for LSU and South Carolina over Iowa in the natties. She's not interested. She clearly wants to be an SEC (or maybe ACC) athlete.
Angel Reese got exactly what she deserved for the shit she pulled in that game...seems like maybe the Iowa fan's were the only ones being racist in this whole thing huh....if DB is really that kind of a young lady it prob is best she isn't even coming to Iowa....

Not sure what the actual facts are here but DB’s apparent disinterest in the Hawks is beginning,from an outside viewpoint, to almost seem personal. Like something happened that specifically turned her away from looking at Iowa. Just my idle speculation here, no knowledge on it from my end.
Why go down this rabbit hole again. She's not going to be a Hawk so let it go. I'm focused on other young women that are sincerely interested in Iowa. FWIW, I have lived and worked around the country but I always tell people I'm from Iowa. When I die, I will be buried in the rich soil of the Hawkeye state.

Angel Reese got exactly what she deserved for the shit she pulled in that game...seems like maybe the Iowa fan's were the only ones being racist in this whole thing huh....if DB is really that kind of a young lady it prob is best she isn't even coming to Iowa....
Got what she deserved? What do you think she “got”? Bc she was in Vogue, a Cardi B video and just attended the Met Gala lmao. She has 3.1 million IG followers (a full million more than Clark).

Think what you want but don’t get it twisted, she is a popular young woman, almost a celebrity, and a lot of people (especially black people) have a very poor opinion of Iowa and Iowa fans due to all of that ugliness.

That includes recruits. Betts and Morrow had zero interest in Iowa, neither does Bourrage…it’s so perplexing, it almost seems personal…hm…what do they all have in common??

Got what she deserved? What do you think she “got”? Bc she was in Vogue, a Cardi B video and just attended the Met Gala lmao. She has 3.1 million IG followers (a full million more than Clark).

Think what you want but don’t get it twisted, she is a popular young woman, almost a celebrity, and a lot of people (especially black people) have a very poor opinion of Iowa and Iowa fans due to all of that ugliness.

That includes recruits. Betts and Morrow had zero interest in Iowa, neither does Bourrage…it’s so perplexing, it almost seems personal…hm…what do they all have in common??
They all wear long fake eye lashes?

Maybe they just wanted stuff handed to them and not have to work hard to earn it

He meant she got what she deserved from Iowa/Caitlin fans through the criticism she got for her low-life antics after the game had been decided- following Caitlin around and trying to humiliate her. That's P.O.S. gold right there. I's not at all surprising that so many of her supporters support that type of behavior.

Aside from the obvious, one thing they also have in common is their support of Reese's low-life behavior. Is that a coincidence?

You guys can think what you want, but please don’t bitch about elite recruits having zero interest in Iowa, especially black kids. It’s obvious why to anyone who isn’t on this message board.
Why cause Iowa fan's don't want their players acting like classless idiots on the court? I like Reese as a player as I think she is a stud, however her antics no when that game was over no thanks

Why cause Iowa fan's don't want their players acting like classless idiots on the court? I like Reese as a player as I think she is a stud, however her antics no when that game was over no thanks
I’m referring more to the racist Iowa fans on social media giving all hawk fans a bad name by posting things like “Clark owns Reese” or calling Reese a thug, classless, ghetto, etc — as well as their apologists, many of whom frequent this board. Same people who don’t get why Dawn Staley, Cheryl Swoopes, etc are role models to countless young black women, and it does us no good to call them names.

But I’m also kind of referring to the whiny babies who are still mad about last years game. It was entertainment to those not blinded by Hawkeye goggles. To still be mad about Angel Reese well over a year later, after Iowa beat them and after Clark and Reese have made clear many times they they’re friends with no bad blood, is pretty sad. More importantly, it’s crazy that after all this time so many Iowa fans still don’t get why Reese is so popular. It actually dovetails nicely with my original point regarding why so many elite black kids have no interest in Iowa. Different worlds….

Last edited:
Some of those SM posts directed to Reese, supposedly by Iowa fans, were a very bad reflection on Iowa BB fans and, by extension, the state. I don’t know if they were material to the decision making process of potential transfers but it sure did not help.

Can those who want to discuss "Iowa fans and racism" please take your opinions to the off topic site.

You are ruining this board for those of us who are not racist and those who may be or are aren't going to change just because you keep debating the topic.

Social change has to happen organically and not forced upon society. Earning peoples respect changes minds one at a time for example.

I like coming to this website and have for over 20 years but I am tired of so many topics getting hijacked in the name of social justice topics. That is what the off topic site is for. Please stop running good contributors off this site.

Moderators please delete posts when they get off topic. This is not a political site, it's function is to allow people to to discuss Iowa athletics and not who is a lesbian or who is racist etc..

Please. Thank you.

No, this is absolutely a recruiting topic. The same racial posts litter every Clark thread you can find across the internet. It's just a horrible look for the Iowa program to have fans like that, or hitchhiking "fans" like that. What is worse, is how this internet issue might reflect upon the University and state.

I love following Caitlin Clark as she pursues greatness in the WNBA, but that same awful racial stench has started to stick to every Clark fan--and by proxy, Hawkeyes, as this perpetuates.

Unfortunate as it might be, and while it's an "internet reality," it's that sort of perception that Bluder is facing. She has to push through all this smoke right now, and I can bet it's a big headache.

Last edited:
We are all aware that “negative recruiting” happens. I hope anyone who reads a Rivals open (free) forum - like this one- realizes that trolling happens all the time. I respectfully submit some contributors to this discussion enjoy putting a “false light” on Iowa’s athletic programs. It is a sad reality reflecting the juvenile, petty and irresponsible nature of some sports fans.

The fanbase of any team that has any % of white people (all of them) would have had their share of racist asshats on twitter or wherever do the same thing some of ours did after the disrespect we were shown by Reese (and others).

Reese was the instigator here, not the other way around. It’s frankly bullshit that anyone would hold against us what a handful of fans from any fanbase would’ve done, as if we have some kind of uniquely racist ethos no other program has.

If people want to choose the side of Reese et al over our program, which did nothing wrong, then fine. Good luck elsewhere.

The fanbase of any team that has any % of white people (all of them) would have had their share of racist asshats on twitter or wherever do the same thing some of ours did after the disrespect we were shown by Reese (and others).

Reese was the instigator here, not the other way around. It’s frankly bullshit that anyone would hold against us what a handful of fans from any fanbase would’ve done, as if we have some kind of uniquely racist ethos no other program has.

If people want to choose the side of Reese et al over our program, which did nothing wrong, then fine. Good luck elsewhere.
Unfortunately it got personal by way way too many fans. We’re a white state with a white team. Is what it is. I agree that what I thought Angel did was classless but we lost and we should have moved on as fans like the team did. Some girls of color want to play with other girls of color. And maybe white girls see our success and see the same. It’s hard to recruit women of color here. Plain and simple.

Reactions: Stephen Hawk King
I’m referring more to the racist Iowa fans on social media giving all hawk fans a bad name by posting things like “Clark owns Reese” or calling Reese a thug, classless, ghetto, etc — as well as their apologists, many of whom frequent this board. Same people who don’t get why Dawn Staley, Cheryl Swoopes, etc are role models to countless young black women, and it does us no good to call them names.

But I’m also kind of referring to the whiny babies who are still mad about last years game. It was entertainment to those not blinded by Hawkeye goggles. To still be mad about Angel Reese well over a year later, after Iowa beat them and after Clark and Reese have made clear many times they they’re friends with no bad blood, is pretty sad. More importantly, it’s crazy that after all this time so many Iowa fans still don’t get why Reese is so popular. It actually dovetails nicely with my original point regarding why so many elite black kids have no interest in Iowa. Different worlds….
I think its a stretch to say that "they're friends". Clark may respect her, and because of all the attention they both get, they are often at events together, and they play nice, but I wouldn't go much past that..

Last edited:
Can those who want to discuss "Iowa fans and racism" please take your opinions to the off topic site.

You are ruining this board for those of us who are not racist and those who may be or are aren't going to change just because you keep debating the topic.

Social change has to happen organically and not forced upon society. Earning peoples respect changes minds one at a time for example.

I like coming to this website and have for over 20 years but I am tired of so many topics getting hijacked in the name of social justice topics. That is what the off topic site is for. Please stop running good contributors off this site.

Moderators please delete posts when they get off topic. This is not a political site, it's function is to allow people to to discuss Iowa athletics and not who is a lesbian or who is racist etc..

Please. Thank you.

If you do not think the posts are relative to this topic you are kind of clueless

Please. Thank you.
We're talking about recruiting and why some players won't even look at Iowa. Fan behavior is absolutely a part of that.

Iowa fans reacted the same way to the antics of Brian Cardinal and Aaron Craft and Brad Davidson and many others. When they were being assholes they were called out on it. Loudly. If you are going to call attention to yourself by doing asshole things like post game taunting and leaving a crown on the bench, you shouldn't be surprised that people think you are an ass. You did that.

Why do players always rave about the fans?
Perhaps the people on Facebook and the people at the games are not the same people. Or, perhaps those people at the games are different people when behind a computer screen. I will say I think it's more of a state of Iowa problem than a University of Iowa problem. However it can be hard to separate the two, especially for a recruit who doesn't look like 88% of the state.

Perhaps the people on Facebook and the people at the games are not the same people. Or, perhaps those people at the games are different people when behind a computer screen. I will say I think it's more of a state of Iowa problem than a University of Iowa problem. However it can be hard to separate the two, especially for a recruit who doesn't look like 88% of the state.
There are only about 10 states where the population is 20% or more of black population.

If you are going to call attention to yourself by doing asshole things like post game taunting and leaving a crown on the bench, you shouldn't be surprised that people think you are an ass. You did that.
I wholeheartedly agree that asinine behavior opens the door to ridicule. Unfortunately, posters were going way beyond commentary about her court conduct and saw it as an opportunity to make ugly racial slurs.

This goes way back, and it basically is what it is. Raveling left to Cali because of it. 40 years ago. We have a great head coach, possibly the best asst coach in the country. We’ve basically been a destination for kids of color when Raveling and Stringer were here. And that’s ok. It’s a culture thing and kids want and need to fit in wherever they are. We’ve had the 2 greatest years of Iowa women’s bball EVER. If kids want to come here that’s great. If they don’t that’s also their choice. Been that way since I was in college in the Raveling/Davis era.

1: I’ll bet you’re not racist
2. I’ll bet you’re not a LSU FAN
3. I’ll bet you’ve never been to Iowa
You seem very jealous of an Iowa girl who has been the best female player in America the last two years.
4. No snide remarks needed!🥰

Reactions: HawkGem11
This goes way back, and it basically is what it is. Raveling left to Cali because of it. 40 years ago. We have a great head coach, possibly the best asst coach in the country. We’ve basically been a destination for kids of color when Raveling and Stringer were here. And that’s ok. It’s a culture thing and kids want and need to fit in wherever they are. We’ve had the 2 greatest years of Iowa women’s bball EVER. If kids want to come here that’s great. If they don’t that’s also their choice. Been that way since I was in college in the Raveling/Davis era.
Raveling was a great recruiter but not an average coach!

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
I question if you are from Iowa. I grew up in Iowa and am a proud of the people, work ethic and passion for Iowa sports.

Growing up in a smaller town we only had a few black families. One of my best friends was black. Never thought he was different than me. We both played sports, went to the same parties and hung out together. It wasn't until I moved to Chicago that I saw the racial divide.

Thousands of slaves moved through Iowa with the underground railway. Iowa had the highest percentage of soldiers per capita fight for the North during the civil war. Iowa has always had an open mind about race and women's rights. The university was in the forefront of title IX.

A vocal minority does not truly represent Iowans. I've lived in the south for 1/2 of my adult life. Trust me bigotry is much greater there. Hard for me to understand why anyone from LSU or the SEC for that matter is pointing a finger at Iowa.

Not sure why Bourrage wants to look outside of Iowa, her choice. Morrow did not consider Iowa because she followed the $$. Why do girls from California, Ohio, Washington, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania choose Iowa over their home state schools? It is all about fit. Blaming race is a cop out. Iowa is a good school, very nice campus, great fans, facilities, culture and coaches.

Shikreto is one to enter race issues into topic discussions and in a manner to disparrage the U of I and Iowans in general. Recently he has informed us on this site that he is bi-racial and that he lives in the Boston area. Ok, I have no problem with that. Doesn't sound like you are an Iowan or a U of I grad or ever lived in Iowa.

I am white but have bi-racial family members, black and asian and it doesn't matter to anyone. They like living in Iowa. I can't think of many places that have a worse reputation of misstreating blacks than Boston. Probably most people are aware of how Bill Russell and his family was treated and he was a God in Boston for an example. There are many other examples just as agregous as that.

My suggestion is for Shikreto to fix Boston where you reside, and then chose another city or state as his next project. You are not going to be successful by attacking Iowans from behind a keyboard.

I have put all the race baiters on this site on Ignore as I only want to use this site for U of I sports and not social justice issues. No need to attack me because I won't know it.

Those who are concerned about blacks not wanting to come to the U of I have made it clear how they feel and what the issue is. You don't have to do so on every topic every time. You have been heard and enough is enough. If you dislike Iowans or the U of I go find another site please.

Well now that this recruiting thread has been chopped to sheet, I won't visit for recruiting news. Oh well, I'll wait for posted news.

. . . Those who are concerned about blacks not wanting to come to the U of I have made it clear how they feel and what the issue is. You don't have to do so on every topic every time. You have been heard and enough is enough. If you dislike Iowans or the U of I go find another site please.
If I have my facts straight, Shikreto went to Iowa, was a WBB fan in school (perhaps friends with a player or 2), making Shikreto a much longer Iowa WBB fan than many on this site (not directed at doughawk or anyone in particular). Shikreto scours social media for Iowa WBB recruiting info that Shikreto then shares on this site, and for which I am grateful as someone not on social media (hope Shikreto keeps this up). Shikreto is among this site’s most active Iowa WBB recruiting posters and, from all appearances over time, a hardcore Iowa WBB fan who travels to Iowa WBB games when they get closer to home.

If I have my facts straight, Shikreto went to Iowa, was a WBB fan in school (perhaps friends with a player or 2), making Shikreto a much longer Iowa WBB fan than many on this site (not directed at doughawk or anyone in particular). Shikreto scours social media for Iowa WBB recruiting info that Shikreto then shares on this site, and for which I am grateful as someone not on social media (hope Shikreto keeps this up). Shikreto is among this site’s most active Iowa WBB recruiting posters and, from all appearances over time, a hardcore Iowa WBB fan who travels to Iowa WBB games when they get closer to home.
Thanks Shikerto. Someone who is a fan of Iowa basketball wouldn’t keep posting crap like you every day. JMO

Shikreto is one to enter race issues into topic discussions and in a manner to disparrage the U of I and Iowans in general. Recently he has informed us on this site that he is bi-racial and that he lives in the Boston area. Ok, I have no problem with that. Doesn't sound like you are an Iowan or a U of I grad or ever lived in Iowa.
This speculation is wild lmao. My dad is a (white) corn, soy and pork farmer and my mom is latina. I was born in Austin, TX but I grew up in cedar county and went to Iowa, where I majored in poli sci and international studies, graduating in 2011. While I was an undergrad, I started following WBB bc my boyfriend was friends with Megan Skouby, the then-center. I was actually a campus tour guide for the office of admissions for 3.5 years! Lol. After graduating, I worked at CLAS for 12 months as an admin in the deans office before I moved to the east coast where I still live lol. Believe me when I say I know Iowa and I know the University of Iowa, even if I choose not to live there. I also know life outside Iowa….

Anyway, I didn’t bring up race for shits and giggles. Someone remarked that it’s crazy how Bourrage has had zero interest in Iowa, and that it “almost seemed personal”. My belief is that it is personal, and that take is based on her social media activity, where she actively cheers against Iowa and she has shown she clearly supports and looks up to Angel Reese, as well as many other black athletes.

Lots of wbb fans took that whole mess personally, especially black fans. If you don’t see that or don’t understand why yet you are invested in our wbb team, I urge you to mix up where you get your WBB news and updates. Iowa is in many ways on an island, culturally, and it’s my strong opinion that our recruiting suffers for it. My guess is you don’t follow any WNBA players or elite wbb alum on social media but I do. I’ve seen a few tweet very negative things about Iowa fans to thousands of followers and be retweeted by dozens if not hundreds of them. These women are role models to young women playing basketball and are highly respected and influential. For the record I stick up for our fans, program and especially our coaching staff on X and Instagram when I see this kind of content, but sometimes I simply can’t defend the fans bc the behavior referenced is indefensible. I’m not on TikTok but I know it can get brutal there as well. I’m sure Facebook is a hot mess….

Btw I noticed someone remark that Morrow “followed the money” but that is not supported by Heinrichs’s remarks about the attempt to recruit her — he said she never returned his phone call to even make an offer. That strongly suggests she had a pre-existing opinion about Iowa…this dynamic is is not unique to our targets either — some here might recall that after the Swoopes backlash, a black player from Tennessee proudly said “she wants to be a Sheryl” to the media and that was circulated widely on social media. That was clearly a jab at Iowa fans — and it resonated widely with wbb fans at large. Clark herself also famously Liked a tweet indicating that she didn’t appreciate the shirts…

To be clear Iowa has long struggled to recruit and I believe part of that (just part, but a big one) is its lack of diversity, including that of the the state / city in which it exists. The predominantly white culture / complexion of the team reinforces that. It’s my opinion that the Angel Reese and Sheryl Swoopes situations added another layer of complexity + difficulty to that situation, which will not benefit the program’s reputation or recruiting in any way.

This message board exists for commentary, I provided a theory to address a question that IMO had a fairly obvious answer. Not gonna apologize that my opinion triggers you.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT