ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like a big dip in season ticket sales

I have been an out of state season ticket holder for the last 29 years and a silver or golden hawkeye for most of that time. Hell, even my family and friends didn't believe me when I said I was fed up and done until real changes were made. Well I didn't renew and pretty sure my wife and I will enjoy our trip to France & Spain far more than watching Iowa football this October.

Wow, good for you. I hope your trip includes Barcelona - that alone is worth 100 games at Kinnick.

You might be gone, but there are new Hawkeye fans born everyday and one of them will eventually replace you... I saw this happen after Cummings and even after Hayden...and it will happen again after Ferentz either sinks or swims this year.

You had a respectable run, Accipiter. 25 years, while not unusually long, is nothing to sneeze at. You will be missed this season...but not for long.
Soybean, I hope we ARE replaced by young, enthusiastic fans who pack Kinnick every weekend. I take no pleasure in leaving and still care a lot about our program and want it to succeed. My post was just refuting the seemingly prevailing opinion that most of us older fans who've left will come scrambling back if we have a winning record this year (maybe even beat Iowa State)? I just think once you've left, there are so many other terrific things to do on beautiful fall days (things that don't cost us over $600 for our five donor seats), and when lots of your old tailgating buddies are leaving too, the old framework that kept you coming all those years is just gone. BTW, my current stretch of 25 years is just because I was in California for a number of years; my first Hawkeye game was in the early 50's.

I really don't want to go back and forth here, but if I'm correct, Iowa finished 7th in the final AP and Coaches Polls, for the 2009 season. That is 5 seasons removed, not a decade, or 12, or 13 or whatever. They have not finished that high the last 5 years, but I didn't say that.

You referenced 4 top ten in eight years.

Which as we know is well beyond being relevant to the state of this program now.

If you're only point was to reference the lone top ten finish that happened 5 years ago then that was unclear.

You referenced 4 top ten in eight years.

Which as we know is well beyond being relevant to the state of this program now.

If you're only point was to reference the lone top ten finish that happened 5 years ago then that was unclear.
We also finished ranked in 2008.

Can't see the lines can you, Russ.

Prolly a gift to Iowa that they don't have to play OSU this year... I get that people would buy tickets to that game, but Iowa would be in that game for about 11 minutes at best....

Over the last 10 years you would be surprised how many times OSU wasn't on the schedule. A fact that makes the win totals harder to fathom.

Well, I'm doing what I said I didn't want to do. My point was over the years, Ferentz has won 2 Big Ten titles, finished ranked in the Top Ten 4 times, ranked in the top 25 I don't know how many times, made Iowa a relevant program again, won x amount of bowl games(including BCS bowl games), has a winning record against Michigan, produced 2 Outland Trophy winners, had a Heisman Trophy runner-up, x amount of All Big Ten performers, a jillion NFL players(with many starting, not just playing), been courted by who knows how many NFL teams and college teams, while remaining loyal to Iowa when he was at his pinnacle. I'm probably missing some other things. His last great team was 5 seasons ago, and now some people think he can't coach anymore.

He's done all this with great integrity and ethics. He has to deal with people picking at his every word. He says nothing back except that he wants and needs to do better. This is the climate that we live in. And, I think it's unfortunate.

People talk about how much money he makes, which I agree is ridiculous for any coach. But do people know what he actually does with his money? How much he gives back to UI and to the state of Iowa and to the Iowa City community. Probably not, because he doesn't talk about it, and doesn't demand they put his name on entities he donates to.

What he gets is personal attacks on his abilities to coach football, and unbelievably, his character.

Iowa is fortunate to have him. That's my opinion, and it surely won't be the first, or last time, people won't agree with me.

Reactions: Coyote8 and cohawk
Didn't realize sales were over now, seems silly to not sell tickets right up to August...

Jesus, if you parked at the Coralridge mall you really shouldn't be complaining about tailgating.

Well, I'm doing what I said I didn't want to do. My point was over the years, Ferentz has won 2 Big Ten titles, finished ranked in the Top Ten 4 times, ranked in the top 25 I don't know how many times, made Iowa a relevant program again, won x amount of bowl games(including BCS bowl games), has a winning record against Michigan, produced 2 Outland Trophy winners, had a Heisman Trophy runner-up, x amount of All Big Ten performers, a jillion NFL players(with many starting, not just playing), been courted by who knows how many NFL teams and college teams, while remaining loyal to Iowa when he was at his pinnacle. I'm probably missing some other things. His last great team was 5 seasons ago, and now some people think he can't coach anymore.

He's done all this with great integrity and ethics. He has to deal with people picking at his every word. He says nothing back except that he wants and needs to do better. This is the climate that we live in. And, I think it's unfortunate.

People talk about how much money he makes, which I agree is ridiculous for any coach. But do people know what he actually does with his money? How much he gives back to UI and to the state of Iowa and to the Iowa City community. Probably not, because he doesn't talk about it, and doesn't demand they put his name on entities he donates to.

What he gets is personal attacks on his abilities to coach football, and unbelievably, his character.

Iowa is fortunate to have him. That's my opinion, and it surely won't be the first, or last time, people won't agree with me.

I don't pay an ungodly amount of money and devote my fall Saturdays to watch Outland Trophy winners and coaches with integrity and ethics. I do it to see my favorite football team win lots of games and not get blown out by garbage programs like Minnesota.

People that keep bringing up what a nice guy he is while he steals $4 million a year should be taken out back and shot. Seriously.

You might be gone, but there are new Hawkeye fans born everyday and one of them will eventually replace you... I saw this happen after Cummings and even after Hayden...and it will happen again after Ferentz either sinks or swims this year.

You had a respectable run, Accipiter. 25 years, while not unusually long, is nothing to sneeze at. You will be missed this season...but not for long.

This is such a stupid post. It completely ignores the changing sports landscape in this country. The main difference between now and the end of Hayden's tenure is that not all of the games were on TV back then. If you actually wanted to see 75% of them you had to be inside the stadium.

Thinking that the current generation of gadget-addicted children (who can't be bothered to put down their phone or tablet for 30 seconds to do anything, let alone pay hundreds of dollars to attend a 3 hour football game) will seamlessly replace the current crop of diehards is the height of idiocy.

Last edited:
Reactions: waterboy4582
You've never actually been to an Iowa football game before, have you?

Be honest.

You should ask yourself that question. There are still places to tailgate on campus without being a donor. It's gone down but the overblown argument people like you make is beyond ridiculous.

Reactions: Ree4
This is such a stupid post. It completely ignores the changing sports landscape in this country. The main difference between now and the end of Hayden's tenure is that not all of the games were on TV back then. If you actually wanted to see 75% of them you had to be inside the stadium.

Thinking that the current generation of gadget-addicted children (who can't be bothered to put down their phone or tablet for 30 seconds to do anything, let alone pay hundreds of dollars to attend a 3 hour football game) will seamlessly replace the current crop of diehards, is the height of idiocy.

At the end of Hayden's tenure you could probably see 75% of games on TV if you lived in a 2 hr. radius of IC. You know a reasonable driving time to go to a game there. I remember living in Ann Arbor and seeing 1/2 of Iowa's games. This idea that seeing most games on TV is something new is just not true.

At the end of Hayden's tenure you could probably see 75% of games on TV if you lived in a 2 hr. radius of IC. You know a reasonable driving time to go to a game there. I remember living in Ann Arbor and seeing 1/2 of Iowa's games. This idea that seeing most games on TV is something new is just not true.
I don't pay an ungodly amount of money and devote my fall Saturdays to watch Outland Trophy winners and coaches with integrity and ethics. I do it to see my favorite football team win lots of games and not get blown out by garbage programs like Minnesota.

People that keep bringing up what a nice guy he is while he steals $4 million a year should be taken out back and shot. Seriously.

He has achieved quite a bit more than 2 Outland Trophy winners, as I documented.

Would you rather have Iowa win at any cost? Do you care about ethics? Do you care about UI or Iowa City, other than Iowa Football?

Steals his salary? I already agreed many coaches are paid, too much. But, steals?

However, this is an example of what I said initially. You think I should be taken out back and shot? I've never been threatened like that.

MODS, is that something that is tolerated on HawkeyeReport. If it is, that is really wrong.

I'm done with this thread. This is not worth it.

I'm thinking the problem originates with the scoreboard.

Wow, 1/2 of the games. A whole 6 out of 12. That's really impressive.

You should ask yourself that question. There are still places to tailgate on campus without being a donor. It's gone down but the overblown argument people like you make is beyond ridiculous.

Where would you encourage a large group of people to tailgate near the stadium, on a per-game basis, without any kind of pre-paid permit.

This should be entertaining.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I disagree that most of the fans who've not renewed will be back if the team starts winning again; once fans are out, multiple other activities will take the place of football, and the old tailgating groups will not be there anymore. We're out this year after 25 years and we'll just never get back into it again. It would never be the same for us; it's gone...
This is a tremendous response. You do not simply plug in new fans when the winning resumes. Even when Iowa was relevant, we were not on the level of the upper tier of college teams. KF football is simply NOT exciting football. Went we had better talent, Iowa rarely blew out bad teams. Seems we always played to the level of competition. Watching games on the tube after returning home from Kinnick was like watching a different league. When you have a serious lack of skill position players, every game will be close. College football is another form of entertainment. When it is no longer that way... people spend their hard-earned $$$ elsewhere. That is where Iowa football is today.

Where would you encourage a large group of people to tailgate near the stadium, on a per-game basis, without any kind of pre-paid permit.

This should be entertaining.

Have you been to a game at Kinnick? Our tailgate is less than a 5 minute walk from Kinnick and we have over 100 people at our tailgate area. I know you have a negative comment about everything but here's some free advice - once you start insulting posters it doesn't make you right, you just look like a bully or buffoon.

Nice post Gary!!That is the attitude that made me dump my 4 tickets after 25 years.Lets see how it plays out this year and btw how many tickets and how long have YOU been buying?

Reactions: WeWantDiaco
Have you been to a game at Kinnick? Our tailgate is less than a 5 minute walk from Kinnick and we have over 100 people at our tailgate area. I know you have a negative comment about everything but here's some free advice - once you start insulting posters it doesn't make you right, you just look like a bully or buffoon.

Which is where exactly, that you don't need to have a parking pass or some kind of pre-arranged agreement with a homeowner?

Last edited:
Which is where exactly, that you don't need to have a parking pass?
This has been discussed at length already, but we are in an entirely different mindset than we were in when the Hawks were bad before. The hierarchy has made every attempt to make the game day atmosphere more controlled. Now we see the AD attempting to bribe fans to return. Maybe he's getting pressure from the IC Chamber and the affects of a smaller crowd. Maybe he's making a token effort to show he gives a crap. Doesn't really matter. Fans have other options for their entertainment dollar. I know I do! The BTN has reduced fan influence. Football generates more revenue from BTN than anything the actual fans in attendance ever will. Too bad. Kinnick games at one time were the highlite of my fall season. Not anymore.

If these numbers are accurate, that's a 20% drop in just one season. I'd say people are sending a message. Even if some folks buy individual game tickets, I think it's fair to expect Kinnick to look emptier this year..

Problem is, most of this happened over a decade ago. The guy isn't getting it done anymore.

That's great, but look at the last 5 years. That's a pretty significant chunk of time to have gotten things "turned around". And it's not going in the right direction.

Sometimes it's just over. Hayden did a bunch of great things too but at a certain point it's over.

Across the street(south of the stadium)there is all kinds of parking no more tha 5 minutes away.

Are you paying for this? You just show up on gameday without a pre-paid pass or any agreement with a property owner? It's always reserved for you and your group and no other group ever takes over your location?

Are you paying for this? You just show up on gameday without a pre-paid pass or any agreement with a property owner? It's always reserved for you and your group and no other group ever takes over your location?
You can do it for the year or in some instances game by game.You need to get out more.

You can do it for the year or in some instances game by game.You need to get out more.

You need to learn how to read. There is very little "game-by-game" parking in these areas that you refer to. It is also extremely unlikely that they will have space for several vehicles for a large group on a one-off basis. It also varies game to game whether there is even extra available parking at all. And even if/when you can find the space, you are paying a significant premium. And all for the privilege of watching one of the most boring football teams in America.

I know a lot more about this than you seem to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT