ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Quarterfinals Thread

Nut up fellas. It wasn't the way we hoped it would go. Watch to the end. Cheer on every Iowa match as if it matters, because it does to them. No one woke up hoping to lose.

On the injury debate: I think it was Jake Herbert (could be wrong) went to train in Russia for a summer and he made some striking observations. He said they don't wrestle live for 20-30 min at a time, EVER. They only wrestle live for the duration of a period. He mentioned that his discussions with them led him to believe this was a better approach. He suggested it could result in fewer injuries (in his opinion) and that it dialed in a more accurate sense of urgency during matches. Take it for what it's worth.

Year after year? Where have you been the last two years? Would have won in 20. Did win in 2021. Would have won this year (yes I really do believe that.). They could have easily won three in a row! But go ahead and be mad if you want to.

Well, we would not have won three in a row because if we won in 2020 because all of this year’s seniors would be gone. We could have won two consecutive years, and now we would just be bitching about the drop in talent this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub

Even last year was a bittersweet because of the finals.

Nut up fellas. It wasn't the way we hoped it would go. Watch to the end. Cheer on every Iowa match as if it matters, because it does to them. No one woke up hoping to lose.

On the injury debate: I think it was Jake Herbert (could be wrong) went to train in Russia for a summer and he made some striking observations. He said they don't wrestle live for 20-30 min at a time, EVER. They only wrestle live for the duration of a period. He mentioned that his discussions with them led him to believe this was a better approach. He suggested it could result in fewer injuries (in his opinion) and that it dialed in a more accurate sense of urgency during matches. Take it for what it's worth.
I think the evidence that most training should be at lower intensity is pretty strong. There's a concept that most training should be done at an "endurance" pace. This is your base building base and is 40-60% of your max output. Then you need to have periodic pulses of higher intensity.
I think if you want to develop more skills you need to focus on lighter intensity for the majority of your training. The primary way to get better at a new skill is repetition in lower stake settings. If everything is high intensity high stakes you are going to be reluctant to try new things. Obviously you need to pressure test at times.
Anyways I can't speak to Iowa's training maybe this is what they are doing?

a good strength and conditioning program works on getting these guys strong and in shape. A great strength and conditioning program can help make guys strong in areas that help prevent injuries. Stabilizing muscles around the joints and increasing strength in extreme (deep) range of motion.

I know that Iowa recently brought in a strength and conditioning coach, I think it was just this last off season, I do not know if he was replacing someone, or if it was the first year they had a coach dedicated to wrestling only.

I worked in the athletic department at Uof I several years back. outside of football and basketball a lot of the programs were sharing strength coaches and interns, which is obviously not ideal. The potentially dangerous positions in wrestling are vastly different from that of volleyball. Not to mention the time commitment and limitations this placed on them.

With the new facility and having a dedicated strength and conditioning coach I expect this to improve.
The previous guy was let go as a financial casualty during covid.

Team Standings from the PSU Wrestling Club site

TeamPointsMaximum
Potential
(Rd of 12)
# Cons 5
(All Amer.)
# Cons Semi# 7th-8th
Team Standings
Penn State
73​
163​
6​
Michigan
62.5​
196​
5​
3​
Arizona State
53​
132.5​
4​
1​
Iowa
37.5​
145.5​
2​
4​
North Carolina State
37​
106​
2​
2​
Cornell
34.5​
123​
2​
3​
Ohio State
31.5​
139.5​
2​
4​
Virginia Tech
31​
100​
2​
2​
Missouri
28​
121​
1​
4​
Nebraska
27.5​
159.5​
1​
6​
Stanford
24.5​
54.5​
2​
Oklahoma State
23.5​
77.5​
1​
2​
Princeton
23​
53​
2​
Northwestern
21.5​
114.5​
1​
4​
Cal Poly
20​
50​
2​
Minnesota
19.5​
73.5​
1​
2​
Pitt
19.5​
93​
1​
3​
North Carolina
18​
72​
1​
2​
Northern Iowa
17​
36.5​
1​
Oregon State
16.5​
133.5​
6​
Wyoming
16.5​
51​
1​
1​
Wisconsin
13.5​
72​
3​
Penn
12​
51​
2​
Rutgers
12​
51​
2​
Lehigh
11​
45.5​
1​
1​
Oklahoma
11​
50​
2​
Purdue
10.5​
49.5​
2​
Virginia
10.5​
69​
3​
Drexel
8​
27.5​
1​
Iowa State
8​
66.5​
3​
Illinois
7.5​
46.5​
2​
North Dakota State
7.5​
27​
1​
Appalachian State
6.5​
26​
1​
Rider
6​
6​
It's a great time to be a ISU fan. Should be a contender real soon.

Yes. I suspect we grind too much in the practice room, which would explain why we are burnt out and injured every March.

This is a pattern, and it’s not happening from the handful of matches they wrestle.

No I did not wrestle D1, but I don't see how/why that matters. That said, I know you're being polite - as I try to be - so I'm not taking it the wrong way and don't mean to sound overly harsh. My issue with Alex is that Alex "seems" to have adopted this "just win baby" mentality. Look at his bonus percentages the last few years (discounting the COVID year when he only wrestled a few matches). During his So and Jr year he was over 50 percent bonus rate; this year under 30%. Look at the rankings/status of the guys he is failing to bonus; it's sick. If his life depended on it I guarantee you Alex could bonus most anyone not ranked in the top 20 and most of the guys who are in the top 20. Granted his life doesn't depend on it so it's not important. But maybe, just maybe if that was his goal each and every match he would have a lot more TDs during the season and just might have more confidence and a better chance of getting TDs when they matter, like today for instance.

I'm not an Alex-hater. I really like the guy and love that he's a good Christian man. But I fricking hate it when he and some of our other top 5, top 10 guys don't go out there and destroy their opponents, especially the ones who are far inferior in talent. And I really hate it when the "wrestle hard, keep it close" attitude allows matches to remain really close going late into the 3rd and even into overtime, and then "boom, what a surprise" we lose. Alex is so much more talented than this. And you know what, once he's been scouted, just like the case with Jaydin even before his injury during the Red match, you better come up with some new ways of winning. I guarantee you ADS gets scouted till there's no tomorrow, but aside from a select few, he wins and wins big. And what is that about Alex not being fast? I've seen him wrestle faster guys and he still gets the TDs when he really needs them...so why not get more TDs when he just wants them vice needs them. It's irrelevant now and I hate it for him. I really wanted with all my heart for him and Kem to bring home the gold at least once.
I appreciate your response and I do understand your perspective. I was simply trying to explain to you how limited his offense is now against the really good guys and it honestly has nothing to do with his effort. His top opponents have simply taken away what he does best and forced a guy who doesn’t take low percentage risks into either doing so or “looking” like he isn’t trying to attack.

i truly try to be a student of the sport and watch the little things and I am positive this isn’t about Marinelli not Opening up and trying to score. It is simply him not being able to get to his offense because his opponents won’t engage in those positions.

Whatever it was happened at 1:07 left in the period. Because that is what they set the clock to for the restart.

I appreciate your response and I do understand your perspective. I was simply trying to explain to you how limited his offense is now against the really good guys and it honestly has nothing to do with his effort. His top opponents have simply taken away what he does best and forced a guy who doesn’t take low percentage risks into either doing so or “looking” like he isn’t trying to attack.

i truly try to be a student of the sport and watch the little things and I am positive this isn’t about Marinelli not Opening up and trying to score. It is simply him not being able to get to his offense because his opponents won’t engage in those positions.
Then you force your opponent into positions you want to be in and can score from... that is if you're the better wrestler. That was the Iowa way for decades and it's what psu has been doing now for awhile. They're FAR more adaptable and it's why they perform better in tourneys like this where they face multiple styles. We took a step forward and changed some recruiting tactics a few years ago, it's time to do the same with versatile style training as well as advanced S&C.

Ayala is out. Those who are so high on him need to educate me. Now he's not 100%...that is pretty obvious with the shoulder brace. But it seems like a lot of posters think he has a really bright future.

I guess I don't see what they are seeing. He looks like he has a long ways to go.
You need educated on many, many things.

Go get a buddy that's roughly 10-15 pounds heavier than you, tear your labrum so your shoulder has no stability, and then try pulling his leg in.

Report your findings back to the cesspool.

I was being dramatic. Nothing is worth drinking again. Congrats on the 20!
Agree. 34 for me. But I went for 3 bowls of ice cream to soothe my misery today. I think the Hawk's struggles today might have garnered us a few of potential 'recruits' though. 🙂

Reactions: NCHawk5
Man...some of y'all are D Bags. How many times has he wrestled Schultz and it comes down to a point? Great job Jake!
But we never reverse results from the regular season (except for losing matches that we won previously).

And all our guys underperform year in and year out. How can this be?!

Reactions: OldestandGreatest
Nothing Meaningful strikes again!

Hey how'd Vito do? Man it's kind of disappointing to know Spencer would've only gotten 4th this year, seeing as how Vito is clearly better than him.
Do you ever contribute anything of meaning? The only thing that Murin did against Yianni was grab, push, and interlock fingers. As someone here pointed out, he wrestled to not lose too badly. What's the point of that? Keep Cornell from getting any bonus points?

And, clown, I never said that Vito would have beaten Spencer. I said that the Vito at the Florida duals would have beaten the Spencer at the Florida duals (you can look it up), and in hindsight I'd have been correct. So stop making up s***.

Reactions: Jrjt0518
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT