ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Quarterfinals Thread

I agree. Not questioning their toughness at all. Nobody should be.

What does have me confused is how Iowa's wrestlers continually show up at nationals (every year) in shoulder wraps, leg wraps, torn ACL's, etc while Penn St. has never had a single one. In fact, it doesn't really seem like any colleges do except Iowa. That's the part I can't figure out yet.

We have guys fighting injuries day and night come nationals. Nobody else seems to have that problem to the degree we do.
That is just not true. PSU had Nolf win a natty on one leg, they have had several others with injuries, just not to their super starts. Now I do agree that the Hawks have had a increase of injuries of late. As I said in a different post, that falls on the strength and conditioning coach to improve awareness and recovery cycles. Guys shouldn't end a season and start the next season with the same persistent injury (JE and AD hands).

The last 5 years seems like all team have more injuries, we just got hammered the worst. Knee/ACL problems you can blame on the evolution of scrambling and refs not being able to call PD quick enough. Shoulders and hands are another thing all together. Some serious investment needs to be done in injury prevention and recovery.

Maybe cleaner shots and better finishes solves 90% of our injury problems.

Then it's up to him and our staff to adapt and help him develop other offensive attacks. We have failed at that time and time again as a program in recent years. A guy takes away your go-to move, fine, try something else bc there's always something else. Rby wrestles with a hand behind his back, great, beat the shit out of his head and attack the side he refuses to engage with. We just don't adapt.
This just isn't what happens at this level. Maybe 1 out of 100 guys develop new, effective attacks years into DI wrestling and they are usually unicorns so gifted they simply can do just about anything.

Now, what can and DOES happen at the DI level with most high level AA's is refining their skill set, identifying the best situations and minimizing mistakes. The problem now is how EASY it is to scout and gameplan for opponents.

What I will say is Iowa's overall style is easier to scout and plan for vs. Iowa scouting and planning for guys like RBY, Lee, or the slew of 165'ers because Iowa IS a stay in your face team. They just don't recruit guys that can attack from space and that isn't something you teach 20 year olds how to do if they already don't do it.

Iowa's top opponents know how to take away most of Iowa's offense in the ties and that is the one weak spot. Still, even with that, if Iowa wasn't so beat up and had Lee wrestling, I think they would have won it this year. That speaks volumes to how good the team is at what they do best.

Finally, I would agree that it would help to recruit some guys like Montell Marion(maybe the last one I can remember) who can get to some high level offense without needing to tie...

Reactions: aije
I'm so tired of watching guys and make 0 shots for 6+ minutes and pull some BS out and win. Terrible wrestling to watch. Not just against Iowa, just in general. I don't know what can be done, but it sucks to watch. Geer, for example, did nothing all of regulation, had a boring stall ride and wind on Abe's shot. Yes he needs to finish one of those, but it's becoming a theme in wrestling.
We go to the 30 second clock. If you don't take a quality shot, it's a point for the opponent. That would force at least a little...

This just isn't what happens at this level. Maybe 1 out of 100 guys develop new, effective attacks years into DI wrestling and they are usually unicorns so gifted they simply can do just about anything.

Now, what can and DOES happen at the DI level with most high level AA's is refining their skill set, identifying the best situations and minimizing mistakes. The problem now is how EASY it is to scout and gameplan for opponents.

What I will say is Iowa's overall style is easier to scout and plan for vs. Iowa scouting and planning for guys like RBY, Lee, or the slew of 165'ers because Iowa IS a stay in your face team. They just don't recruit guys that can attack from space and that isn't something you teach 20 year olds how to do if they already don't do it.

Iowa's top opponents know how to take away most of Iowa's offense in the ties and that is the one weak spot. Still, even with that, if Iowa wasn't so beat up and had Lee wrestling, I think they would have won it this year. That speaks volumes to how good the team is at what they do best.

Finally, I would agree that it would help to recruit some guys like Montell Marion(maybe the last one I can remember) who can get to some high level offense without needing to tie...
Agree to disagree. And I know you're experienced but the elite do develop multiple attacks and have adaptable styles. PSU has multiple wrestlers each year that certainly do. They aren't all unicorns.

Agree to disagree. And I know you're experienced but the elite do develop multiple attacks and have adaptable styles. PSU has multiple wrestlers each year that certainly do. They aren't all unicorns.
Well... not all of them. Even those non unicorns expect to go out and perform like one. And for me there in lies the difference. Iowa isn't taking too many of those toss up matches.

Reactions: Mattski
I agree. Not questioning their toughness at all. Nobody should be.

What does have me confused is how Iowa's wrestlers continually show up at nationals (every year) in shoulder wraps, leg wraps, torn ACL's, etc while Penn St. has never had a single one. In fact, it doesn't really seem like any colleges do except Iowa. That's the part I can't figure out yet.

We have guys fighting injuries day and night come nationals. Nobody else seems to have that problem to the degree we do.
guess you don't remember Nolf, Rasheed, Cassar to name a few

Reactions: 24 so far
DeSanto, Warner Advance to NCAA Semifinals

DETROIT
-- University of Iowa seniors Austin DeSanto and Jacob Warner advanced to the 2022 NCAA semifinals with quarterfinal wins Friday afternoon at Little Caesars Arena.

DeSanto is returning to the semifinals for the second straight year. Warner is making his first career appearance in the NCAA semis. Both wrestlers secured All-America honors with quarterfinal wins and became the 23rd and 24th four-time All-Americans in program history.

DeSanto rolled to a 9-0 major decision in his 133-pound quarterfinal. He scored one takedown in the first, added four nearfall points in the second, and tacked on a second takedown and more than three minutes of riding time in his win over No. 4 Korbin Myers (Virginia Tech).

“Got it done. Got the major too,” DeSanto said. “I wrestled tough and hard. There are still areas to improve.”

Warner topped third-seeded Eric Shultz (Nebraska), 2-0, in the 197-pound quarterfinal. After a scoreless first period, Warner put on a two-minute ride in the second period and added an escape in the third.

“If you put hard rides on guys you can win a lot of matches,” Warner said. “I knew I had to had to stay in there. I knew when he chose bottom I had to put a tough ride on him.”

Iowa has four more wrestlers alive on the backside of the brackets. Max Murin, Alex Marinelli, Michael Kemerer and Tony Cassioppi are all within one win of the medal stand.

All four wrestlers dropped decisions in the quarterfinals. Two of the four losses came in overtime. Marinelli and Cassioppi both surrendered takedowns in sudden-victory periods to fall by identical 3-1 scores at 165 and 285, respectively.

Murin dropped a 6-3 decision to top-ranked Yianni Diakomihalis at 149, and Kemerer fell, 5-3, at 174.

Iowa was 2-4 on the backside of the bracket. Drake Ayala (125) lost, 8-5, and Abe Assad (184) fell, 5-3, in sudden victory. Jaydin Eierman and Kaleb Young both won their first consolation matches before falling in their second bouts. All four were eliminated from the tournament.

Eierman advanced with a 5-3 win before injury defaulting from the tournament in the second period of his next match. He finished his collegiate career as a four-time All-American with 120 career wins between five seasons at Missouri and Iowa.

Young opened his day with a 9-1 major decision but dropped his next bout, 5-3. He finished his Hawkeye career as a three-time All-American with 77 career wins.

The Hawkeyes are in fourth place with 37.5 team points. Penn State leads the team race with 73.0 points. Michigan (62.5) and Arizona State (53.0) round out the top four.

UP NEXT

The semifinals and consolation Round of 12 begin Friday at 7 p.m. (CT). Session IV is televised on ESPN and streamed at WatchESPN.

NOTABLES
  • Iowa has crowned at least one All-American in 51 consecutive tournaments, a stretch dating back to 1972.
  • Austin DeSanto became the 23rd four-time All-American in the history of the Hawkeye wrestling program.
  • Jacob Warner became the 24th four-time All-American in the history of the Hawkeye wrestling program.

IOWA’S NCAA QUARTERFINAL RESULTS

133 - #5 Austin DeSanto (Iowa) major dec. #4 Korbin Myers (Virginia Tech), 9-0

149 - #1 Yianni Diakomihalis (Cornell) dec. #8 Max Murin (Iowa), 6-3

165 - #6 Cam Amine (Michigan) dec. #3 Alex Marinelli (Iowa), 3-1 SV1

174 - #4 Hayden Hidlay (NC State) dec. #5 Michael Kemerer (Iowa), 5-3

197 - #6 Jacob Warner (Iowa) dec. #3 Eric Shultz (Nebraska), 2-0

285 - #6 Jordan Wood (Lehigh) dec. #3 Tony Cassioppi (Iowa), 3-1 SV1

IOWA’S CONSOLATION ROUND RESULTS

125 - #14 Jakob Camacho (NC State) dec. #13 Drake Ayala (Iowa), 8-5

141 - #2 Jaydin Eierman (Iowa) dec. #17 Dylan D’Emilio (Ohio State), 5-3

141 - #24 Stevan Micic (Michigan) injury def. #2 Jaydin Eierman (Iowa)

157 - #9 Kaleb Young (Iowa) major dec. #23 Markus Hartman (Army), 9-1

157 - #1 David Carr (Iowa State) dec. #9 Kaleb Young (Iowa), 5-3

184 - #16 Dakota Greer (Oklahoma State) dec. #18 Abe Assad (Iowa), 5-3 SV1

IOWA’S NCAA SEMIFINAL MATCHUPS

133 - #5 Austin DeSanto (Iowa) vs. #1 Roman Bravo-Young (Penn State)

197 - #6 Jacob Warner (Iowa) vs. #2 Stephen Buchanan (Wyoming)

IOWA’S CONSOLATION ROUND OF 12 MATCHUPS

149 - #8 Max Murin (Iowa) vs. #6 Jonathan Millner (App State)

165 - #3 Alex Marinelli (Iowa) vs. #8 Phillip Conigliaro (Harvard)

174 - #5 Michael Kemerer (Iowa) vs. #8 Michael O’Malley (Drexel)

285 - #3 Tony Cassioppi (Iowa) vs. #16 Zach Elam (Missouri)

TEAM STANDINGS

1. Penn State 73.0
2. Michigan 62.5
3. Arizona State 53.0
4. IOWA 37.5
5. NC State 37.0
6. Cornell 34.5
7. Virginia Tech 31.0
8. Ohio State 29.5
9. Missouri 28.0
10. Nebraska 27.5

Well, we know a 1st place finish is out of the question so the mindset now is to "Go for the next best thing"
Hopefully the guys on the back side of the bracket stay sharp and hungry.... We can still challenge for a 2nd - 4th place finish and take home a team trophy.... Stay strong Hawkeyes!!!!

Bartlett use to be really really good top 2-3 recruit!! Psu excuses for that is he is wrestling up so they say. That’s their problem. But they come here and trash Ayala who is injured!!! B/s
Yes sir our wrestlers underperform. So inciteful of you.

Honestly, injuries absolutely derailed this season. People pointing the finger at the coaches I think are simply wrong. No doubt in my mind a healthy Lee, Eierman and Kemerer changes this team significantly.

That really brings me to the one part of the program I question - strength program. Other than Marinelli and Murin, the Iowa guys often seem small to me. Even bigger, the incredible amount of injuries that took place. I don't know enough about their strength program to start pointing fingers or calling for firings, but if there is one thing that I think needs some serious analysis and reflection it is how they are training and developing from a strength perspective.

I know others on here have brought it up. After watching this season, and particularly the last few weeks I think I would have to fall in line with their questioning.
a good strength and conditioning program works on getting these guys strong and in shape. A great strength and conditioning program can help make guys strong in areas that help prevent injuries. Stabilizing muscles around the joints and increasing strength in extreme (deep) range of motion.

I know that Iowa recently brought in a strength and conditioning coach, I think it was just this last off season, I do not know if he was replacing someone, or if it was the first year they had a coach dedicated to wrestling only.

I worked in the athletic department at Uof I several years back. outside of football and basketball a lot of the programs were sharing strength coaches and interns, which is obviously not ideal. The potentially dangerous positions in wrestling are vastly different from that of volleyball. Not to mention the time commitment and limitations this placed on them.

With the new facility and having a dedicated strength and conditioning coach I expect this to improve.

Can I ask in, and I mean it in a truly polite inquisitive manner, did you wrestle DI? The reason I ask is because I keep hearing fans say things like, shoot, score, go out there and take it, like it is simply a thing you do.

Do you realize how HARD it is to do once you have been scouted? Marinelli's entire offense is predicated on his opponents pressuring back into his ties. NO ONE does that anymore. He is NOT fast and now his only chance at offense is off loose ties with his opponents going mostly backwards. All that would happen in most of those situations, against top opponents is 1- He gets stuck on bottom or 2- He gets taken down.

I get that we all think these guys should be shooting at a high rate and scoring in bunches, but we don't have a bunch of Jordan Burroughs on this team and even PSU doesn't.

Finally, I can PROMISE you Alex is NOT trying to go out and win by a point. He is just not able to get to his offense because the top guys know EXACTLY how to keep him from it...
No I did not wrestle D1, but I don't see how/why that matters. That said, I know you're being polite - as I try to be - so I'm not taking it the wrong way and don't mean to sound overly harsh. My issue with Alex is that Alex "seems" to have adopted this "just win baby" mentality. Look at his bonus percentages the last few years (discounting the COVID year when he only wrestled a few matches). During his So and Jr year he was over 50 percent bonus rate; this year under 30%. Look at the rankings/status of the guys he is failing to bonus; it's sick. If his life depended on it I guarantee you Alex could bonus most anyone not ranked in the top 20 and most of the guys who are in the top 20. Granted his life doesn't depend on it so it's not important. But maybe, just maybe if that was his goal each and every match he would have a lot more TDs during the season and just might have more confidence and a better chance of getting TDs when they matter, like today for instance.

I'm not an Alex-hater. I really like the guy and love that he's a good Christian man. But I fricking hate it when he and some of our other top 5, top 10 guys don't go out there and destroy their opponents, especially the ones who are far inferior in talent. And I really hate it when the "wrestle hard, keep it close" attitude allows matches to remain really close going late into the 3rd and even into overtime, and then "boom, what a surprise" we lose. Alex is so much more talented than this. And you know what, once he's been scouted, just like the case with Jaydin even before his injury during the Red match, you better come up with some new ways of winning. I guarantee you ADS gets scouted till there's no tomorrow, but aside from a select few, he wins and wins big. And what is that about Alex not being fast? I've seen him wrestle faster guys and he still gets the TDs when he really needs them...so why not get more TDs when he just wants them vice needs them. It's irrelevant now and I hate it for him. I really wanted with all my heart for him and Kem to bring home the gold at least once.

Team Standings from the PSU Wrestling Club site

TeamPointsMaximum
Potential
(Rd of 12)
# Cons 5
(All Amer.)
# Cons Semi# 7th-8th
Team Standings
Penn State
73​
163​
6​
Michigan
62.5​
196​
5​
3​
Arizona State
53​
132.5​
4​
1​
Iowa
37.5​
145.5​
2​
4​
North Carolina State
37​
106​
2​
2​
Cornell
34.5​
123​
2​
3​
Ohio State
31.5​
139.5​
2​
4​
Virginia Tech
31​
100​
2​
2​
Missouri
28​
121​
1​
4​
Nebraska
27.5​
159.5​
1​
6​
Stanford
24.5​
54.5​
2​
Oklahoma State
23.5​
77.5​
1​
2​
Princeton
23​
53​
2​
Northwestern
21.5​
114.5​
1​
4​
Cal Poly
20​
50​
2​
Minnesota
19.5​
73.5​
1​
2​
Pitt
19.5​
93​
1​
3​
North Carolina
18​
72​
1​
2​
Northern Iowa
17​
36.5​
1​
Oregon State
16.5​
133.5​
6​
Wyoming
16.5​
51​
1​
1​
Wisconsin
13.5​
72​
3​
Penn
12​
51​
2​
Rutgers
12​
51​
2​
Lehigh
11​
45.5​
1​
1​
Oklahoma
11​
50​
2​
Purdue
10.5​
49.5​
2​
Virginia
10.5​
69​
3​
Drexel
8​
27.5​
1​
Iowa State
8​
66.5​
3​
Illinois
7.5​
46.5​
2​
North Dakota State
7.5​
27​
1​
Appalachian State
6.5​
26​
1​
Rider
6​
6​
This is so sad...

Reactions: Jrjt0518
Team Standings from the PSU Wrestling Club site

TeamPointsMaximum
Potential
(Rd of 12)
# Cons 5
(All Amer.)
# Cons Semi# 7th-8th
Team Standings
Penn State
73​
163​
6​
Michigan
62.5​
196​
5​
3​
Arizona State
53​
132.5​
4​
1​
Iowa
37.5​
145.5​
2​
4​
North Carolina State
37​
106​
2​
2​
Cornell
34.5​
123​
2​
3​
Ohio State
31.5​
139.5​
2​
4​
Virginia Tech
31​
100​
2​
2​
Missouri
28​
121​
1​
4​
Nebraska
27.5​
159.5​
1​
6​
Stanford
24.5​
54.5​
2​
Oklahoma State
23.5​
77.5​
1​
2​
Princeton
23​
53​
2​
Northwestern
21.5​
114.5​
1​
4​
Cal Poly
20​
50​
2​
Minnesota
19.5​
73.5​
1​
2​
Pitt
19.5​
93​
1​
3​
North Carolina
18​
72​
1​
2​
Northern Iowa
17​
36.5​
1​
Oregon State
16.5​
133.5​
6​
Wyoming
16.5​
51​
1​
1​
Wisconsin
13.5​
72​
3​
Penn
12​
51​
2​
Rutgers
12​
51​
2​
Lehigh
11​
45.5​
1​
1​
Oklahoma
11​
50​
2​
Purdue
10.5​
49.5​
2​
Virginia
10.5​
69​
3​
Drexel
8​
27.5​
1​
Iowa State
8​
66.5​
3​
Illinois
7.5​
46.5​
2​
North Dakota State
7.5​
27​
1​
Appalachian State
6.5​
26​
1​
Rider
6​
6​
FWIW, love the Penn State Wrestling Club site! They do a great job of keeping the scoring and brackets up to date during tourney time. Big kudos to whoever makes it happen over there! Just wish we were at the top of this page looking down on PSU. :)

Better than nothing. :)
I don't disagree but adding more subjectivity and with that, the ability to be intimidated by a crowd or coach is a problem. I seem to remember in the old days that after a scoreless first period there was at least a stall warning given to someone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT