ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Session III

Desanto lost his sh*t and acted very poorly there I hope he learns from it and the coaches do the right things with him..
It does raise the question — to what extent should autistic athletes be allowed to compete in mainstream athletics? I don’t have the answer, and it’s a complex issue for sure. That said, if he’s done this sort of thing previously, the NCAA needs to keep track, discipline him appropriately (as with any wrestler, acrostic or not), and possibly remove him altogether if he’s unable to control his behavior that could injure opponents.

I’m not aware of any autistic D1 wrestlers in the past. Maybe there have been some, but I haven’t noticed any in 40+ years. Probably a new issue, and a tricky one.

My guess is that all is well as long as he’s winning, but precautions may need to be taken if he isn’t. Of course the same could be said of some wrestlers who are just knuckleheads and not autistic at all, but his mental illness would seem to predispose him to some extra off-the-wall behavior. I’ve certainly never seen a Kimura employed in a wrestling match with an apparent intent to inflict injury .

It does raise the question — to what extent should autistic athletes be allowed to compete in mainstream athletics? I don’t have the answer, and it’s a complex issue for sure. That said, if he’s done this sort of thing previously, the NCAA needs to keep track, discipline him appropriately (as with any wrestler, acrostic or not), and possibly remove him altogether if he’s unable to control his behavior that could injure opponents.

I’m not aware of any autistic D1 wrestlers in the past. Maybe there have been some, but I haven’t noticed any in 40+ years. Probably a new issue, and a tricky one.

My guess is that all is well as long as he’s winning, but precautions may need to be taken if he isn’t. Of course the same could be said of some wrestlers who are just knuckleheads and not autistic at all, but his mental illness would seem to predispose him to some extra off-the-wall behavior. I’ve certainly never seen a Kimura employed in a wrestling match with an apparent intent to inflict injury .
Regardless of a disability or challenge, the expectations for conduct should not change. "If you see something, say something". If a coach suspects there is potential for an outburst that would cause injury or harm to someone, they should not be allowed to compete, period.

If Spencer can get that all important first period take down. With like 1:15 or so left and then ride him out, that would be huge. Gonna make it tougher for Tomato to not go down, as that potential 1 point escape would be so very important.

This will be a very strategic match.

GO HAWKS!!
Agree, but I really don’t think it needs to be as strategic as the last two matches have been. I think Spencer is flat-out better than Tomasello. I just think he’s shown him a ton of respect in the last two matches and hasn’t wrestled his match. If he forgets who the opponent is and just goes after him, I think he wins going away.

Also, don’t underestimate the significance of the “free knee”. Spencer minimized it (appropriately) in interviews, but he moves better without it and actually has some offense he couldn’t use with it on. Maybe we see some of that in the semis.;)

As much as I hate PSU I do like Dain. Fun to watch and seems pretty humble. Still hate PSU though.

I hate they are waiting for all the matches to finish to move on. I have to go into to work at noon, at this rate I will miss Kem and the bull!
I understand, but it will keep us from having to choose between Kem and Bull's matches, when the time comes. I like keeping the quarters-semis-finals "pure" for each team's fans...

Reactions: 24 so far
Remember, DeSanto is on the autism spectrum. I actually suspect that might have something to do with this sort of thing. He probably lacks a certain amount of judgment and/or empathy that would keep most of us from doing something whacky like that.

I’m not excusing it, but his autism might make his behavior a bit more understandable.

And he should be DQ'd out of the tournament. The purpose of the move he attempted is to break someone's arm, and he was actively trying to do just that. He had it locked up and was putting force to it. Can't believe the refs didn't stop it. Absolutely unacceptable.

What does Cruz’s riding ability have anything to do with Iowa?

Come on...you must be new to wrestling, so for that, we forgive you.

Riding isn’t about nearly riding lateral or getting the legs in right away and basically holding on for as long as possible, but doing nothing to try and score from the position...that is what we are all referring to as stalling (yet it is being allowed to continue uncalled). Stalling on top does not make one a good guy on top.

Scoring points from that position while maintaining control of your opponent at the same time is what makes one good in the top position.

Cruz isn’t even close to the same category as Lee...

Reactions: Dagboi
Wow. That bow and arrow that Retherford just turned Lewallen with hurt my knee/back back here in Iowa.....Ouch

Agree, but I really don’t think it needs to be as strategic as the last two matches have been. I think Spencer is flat-out better than Tomasello. I just think he’s shown him a ton of respect in the last two matches and hasn’t wrestled his match. If he forgets who the opponent is and just goes after him, I think he wins going away.

Also, don’t underestimate the significance of the “free knee”. Spencer minimized it (appropriately) in interviews, but he moves better without it and actually has some offense he couldn’t use with it on. Maybe we see some of that in the semis.;)
Tomasello is just really good. I do think Lee is better, even now, but until he proves it on the biggest stage it won't matter. He could gas Nato under the right circumstances, just don't think it will happen. Nato is at Home in Ohio too, that won't hurt him. It's 2 GREAT wrestlers, all there is to it, either could win.

What is the name of the move that Retherford had in with Lewallen with the backpoints? Looks like a really dicey position.

Edit: Ah, bow and arrow.

You hold them accountable the same as anyone else, no free passes...

Remember, DeSanto is on the autism spectrum. I actually suspect that might have something to do with this sort of thing. He probably lacks a certain amount of judgment and/or empathy that would keep most of us from doing something whacky like that.

I’m not excusing it, but his autism might make his behavior a bit more understandable.

Even someone with Autism knows better than to intentionally inflict unwarranted harm on someone else.

Reactions: Dagboi and Estroner
Do the quarters winners have to weigh in again for the semis?
If not Nato will be about or over 130

So we should let him try to deliberately injure his opponent without condemnation. No fking way. He's a piece of shit and should be DQ'd.
Really tricky question. No doubt, he should face consequences like anyone else and his autism can’t be used as an excuse or reason to absolve him of responsibility. And I’d be fine with a DQ.

That said, I think our conclusions regarding his character should take into consideration that he quite literally may not know any better — or at least may be unable to control certain impulsive behaviors.

What is the name of the move that Retherford had in with Lewallen with the backpoints? Looks like a really dicey position.

Edit: Ah, bow and arrow.
Bow and arrow. The knee he works on is called a leg turk. So far in this match he has kept it safe and hasn't taken the lower leg away from the thigh(almost perpendicular at times), which SHOULD be potentially dangerous as it is very hard on the knee.

You hold them accountable the same as anyone else, no free passes...
I’m not saying you don’t hold them accountable. The question is to what extent should they be allowed to compete in the first place. Because in that situation, there won’t necessarily be the same kind of learning from consequences that you’d see from athletes with normal mentation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT