ADVERTISEMENT

New Story No. 2 Indiana 87, No. 5 Iowa 78: Not Enough

Adam Jacobi

HR MVP
Staff
Dec 30, 2022
The biggest difference in this game were the two best players of each respective team. For Indiana, Grace Berger and Mackenzie Holmes were both excellent.

Berger had 26 points, 9 rebounds, and 6 assists. She was relatively efficient in her shooting and drew plenty of fouls. Holmes had 24 points and 6 rebounds on 10-17 shooting. Iowa didn’t have an answer for her on defense.

For Iowa, Clark didn’t have her best game, but she scored more than enough for Iowa to win. Monika Czinano, though, was missing in action. Czinano struggled with foul trouble for a decent chunk of the game, fouled out with three minutes left, and scored just 6 points on 3-6 shooting.

Indiana deserves credit for doing a wonderful job taking away easy entry passes. But Czinano also has to do better on both ends. She also had a couple silly fouls that contributed to her foul trouble. Frankly, Iowa looked like a more dangerous team tonight when Stuelke was in for Czinano at the 5.

From @BraydonRoberts5:

Kate Martin was 0-4 from three. Molly Davis can't make a three to save her soul and Gabbie's three shooting has been off for two years. All three had numerous wide open looks.

And yes, Hannah needs to work on her free throw shooting. She's a good looking freshman though. Actually our team FT shooting was not good.

We get them on our court, hopefully we can return the favor.

Oh, one more observation. Holmes got away with alot of hand checking with two hands.

Reactions: amahawk
Before the game, I said to an Indiana friend, “If we run, we win. Indiana gets the nod if their size throws us off, especially Czinano. If she doesn’t get hers inside, it becomes a much steeper road for us. Freshman Stuelke off the bench could be an important piece because she plays strong.”

I wasn’t a genius. It’s been clear that we struggle against physical teams. I am willing to be that Stuelke will figure out free throws by next season.

Looking at stat sheet too many turnovers. This team tends to do that. For all that she does great sometimes clark gets careless trying to make spectacular play. I get take the good with the bad with how she plays but 8 in a game is too many no matter who you are. Think had same in Maryland game. Needs to cut that in half. Just think what 4 more possessions with a shot does for this team.

Reactions: MitchLL
Looking at stat sheet too many turnovers. This team tends to do that. For all that she does great sometimes clark gets careless trying to make spectacular play. I get take the good with the bad with how she plays but 8 in a game is too many no matter who you are. Think had same in Maryland game. Needs to cut that in half. Just think what 4 more possessions with a shot does for this team.
Bringing up anything negative that Clark did in this game is laughable. Without her we lose by 50 to a team like Indiana. The biggest problem was that Marshall, Martin, and Czinano were on milk cartons the entire game, and the abysmal FT shooting by Stuelke. At least Stuelke and Warnock showed up and contributed something. Bluder also way to stubborn using her bench. Affolter and O’Grady played well in the 30 seconds they were in for. No reason Affolter shouldn’t play way more at the expense of Marshall. She is better at basketball..

Reactions: acuhawk
Agree with the 3 pt shooting, but Gabby only shot 1 last night and made it. Clark was 12-28 overall and 3-11 from three with 8 TOs. It just wasn't Iowa's best game by a long shot, but credit to Indiana. We'll see them again in Carver.

How many were because her teammate wasn't looking or hands weren't good enough?

I thoght many TOs happen because the players can't handle passes especially in the paint, and for the most part they don't seem to have ball handling skills. Warnock lost the ball in the free throw line area last night by just losing it.

Reactions: acuhawk
I don't agree that Clark was trying to make spectacular plays, as in the sense of trying to show off. Those attempts were not for show. They are difficult attempts, and because of the difficulty, defenders usually don't expect them, which translates to easy scoring chances once the passes are caught. It's a calculated risk. Iowa needs to continue to work on those passes so that they still appear difficult and unexpected for other teams but no so difficult for Iowa. That's taking full advantage of what a great passer Iowa has in Clark.

I have always remembered what Lute Olsen said one time, "if you have to make a great pass, then you probably shouldn't attempt it".

I have always remembered what Lute Olsen said one time, "if you have to make a great pass, then you probably shouldn't attempt it".
That's very true. Caitlin and her teammates should work hard to make those passes that look like great passes to less talented players just routine ones for them. She has the talent to do it, use the talent.

Unfortunately, I thought Indiana had the perfect defensive game plan in shutting down the Clark to Czinano connection in the paint. Without the points that Monika normally scores, it made for more pressure on all of the other players. That added pressure led to more turnovers and less effective shooting. Hopefully, Coach Bluder will have ideas of how to counter that defensive strategy should other opponents attempt it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT