ADVERTISEMENT

Penn St Match Thread

Real, Max, Patrick, and of course Spencer came and looked solid. Max in particular was more offensive than usual. I give him props for getting after it. Spencer did what we all expected from him. PK and AF was a pretty exciting match for no scoring. Solid defense by both guys. PK is going to be good and in the end I wouldn't be surprised he out scores AM in March.

All in all a good match, wish Abe would have been healthy. Hope he is by March.

Reactions: depelland
It was a long shot but at least it came down to the last match.

I think Iowa as they look right now gets a champ with 3 total AAs.
I'm thinking champ at 25 and 41, and AA at 49 (51% chance), 65, 97 (he always shows up in March) and HWT. So I see best case 6 people on the podium; worst case 4. And if our guys don't show up in March we could slide to the four spot which would be completely unacceptable.

Reactions: AFHawk86
Did I just see that Spencer had on a bigger brace on his right knee? Maybe the guy coming off double acl surgery shouldn’t be one of two wrestlers on the team to wrestle every single dual meet for the B1G season?
It’s not a brace

Overall, I think Iowa wrestled well, especially in a hostile environment full of morons who don't understand what they are watching and with a couple of officials who refused to call stalling on the home team.

They had no margin for error to leave HV with a W and Teske's brain fart with 30 seconds left paired with no Assad really left us in a tough spot. It was great seeing Max and Kennedy win tight matches.

Matches went 6-4 and I could be wrong, but I believe match points ended 44-41 in favor of PSU. It could have been worse, I guess.

Did I just see that Spencer had on a bigger brace on his right knee? Maybe the guy coming off double acl surgery shouldn’t be one of two wrestlers on the team to wrestle every single dual meet for the B1G season?

It’s not a brace
Obi-Wan Kenobi Not The Droids GIF

That was probably the one loss I hated the most. Love Kem and hate that he was riddled by injuries most of his college time. He's the kind of wrestler, along with Lee, that we need to keep on our team to improve our offense in the room and on the mat under the big lights. I hate this handfighting and do nothing style, unless it serves a purpose (such as the case with Brands tonight). I don't think Nelson could have won, but like Teske he could have got caught trying more than he's capable of in a big time dual. That said, the rest of the time (when not completely outclassed by your opponent when we're going against Penn State), I want to see these guys open up like Lee does now and like Kem always did. I would love to see PK get there, and of course Woods is already there. Love our guys, but I want some freaking action!! :)
That one was gutting. I think if I could go back and change the past for any Hawk who didn't get over the hump, it would be him. Absolutely loved the way he wrestled in every position.

Went about as expected.
Lee as expected
Disappointed teske gave up the fall. Gotta know the match score and situation.
Real and murin wrestled well.
Siebrecht wrested well but showed why you have to have a leg attack to get past the round of 12. Needed a td in the last 30-40 seconds and didn't fire off a shot.
Kennedy wrestled tough. Not sure how Facundo wasn't hit for startling.
I figured brands would keep it close.
Assad would not have won but likely keeps it to a regular deciy.
Warner likely never beats dean. He's looking like a 5th-7th place finisher and no better.
Cass ain't ever beating kerk again.

Last edited:
We've seen very little of him at 100%.

Completely hate this ACL talk. I'm not superstitious by nature but this triggers my senses a bit.
I know. I had the privilege of watching him in person since at least middle school. He’s still coming around. Didn’t like the sleeve on the other knee tonight but I think he was just being extra cautious and didn’t worry about added mobility against a….an inferior opponent. We will go with that.

It’s amazing how this dual brings out a ton of less to NO knowledgeable Iowa fans. If you blast Iowa for this performance on the road against the CLEAR #1 team in the country you are a MORAN!

125: Lee teched a very strong kid who solely was avoiding pinning combos and the ref helped him do that.

133: Teske kept it close with a clearly superior opponent and tried to WIN at the end vs. simply stalling out for the decision loss. Almost any other time he would get blasted if he didn’t try at the end. Morans…

141: Woods wrestled a very smart, tactical match against a guy who is very good at keeping it close with anyone.

149: Murin deserves the same props as Woods.

157: Siebrecht was all the way in a match with a blue chip recruit that many PSU fans are as high on or higher as Nickal or Nolf.

165: Kennedy outwrestled another top 5 recruit that just beat Amine. Ask Alex about Amine.

174: Brands wrestled his ASS OFF against another superior opponent and had him running at the end

184: A backup kept it to a tech giving up 20 lbs and multiple NCAA championships.

197: Dean is simply a slightly better version of Warner. Neither are special in neutral. Both are really tough on the mat, but Dean is a bit tougher and stronger on top.

285: Kerk has simply found the game plan for Cass. Control his wrists, keep him at a distance and off the ties and he will beat him every time with superior speed and athleticism.

Simply put, Iowa truly wrestled the best they could have against a truly great opponent on the road. Watching this dual I actually think Iowa is closer to PSU than I thought they were. PSU still wins NCAA’s by 20 or so, but Iowa is the CLEAR #2 behind possibly a top 10 team of all time in PSU…

I mostly agree except for Teske. Even ignoring the pin, he wrestled a really bad and lazy second half of the match. Slow to react/didn't react at all to several of RBY's shots. Teske wrestling his best keeps that match to a decision.

Siebrect also had an opportunity to win that match and I think he'd agree he didn't wrestle his best. Not a bad match by him, but certainly not his best.

I'm thinking champ at 25 and 41, and AA at 49 (51% chance), 65, 97 (he always shows up in March) and HWT. So I see best case 6 people on the podium; worst case 4. And if our guys don't show up in March we could slide to the four spot which would be completely unacceptable.
You gotta give Murin a little more credit. I know you picked Van Ness but Max battled tonight and was the aggressor even with the lead. 😃😃😃

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
And Tony used to weigh 260 or more to Kerk's 235-240. Throw in the height difference and my point stands.
That was two years ago. Last year Tony shed 20 LBS and was still able to out-experience Kerk in his two wins. Kerk is all grown up now and his skill is really starting to show. Just like Star he's difficult to take down and uses his length/size well. Tony never threatened him tonight.

Tony and our staff will have to find a new way to compete with Kerk because what worked before ain't gonna work no more. When was the last time we were able to out-strategize PSU H2H when it mattered?

Cool. With your inability to have a conversation without resorting to name calling, gaslighting, or degrading comments in general, I hope you don’t leave your mom’s basement much. 🤣🤣🤣

Your insistence at the beginning of this thread that the PD was the right call proved pretty quickly that you aren't someone worth having a legitimate conversion with. If you don't want to be met with blunt and harsh discourse, maybe try to be less of an stubborn and ignorant ass.

Reactions: Mendoza77
And Tony used to weigh 260 or more to Kerk's 235-240. Throw in the height difference and my point stands.

Um……….I posted their weights because I was agreeing with you. Kerk has also wrestled smarter in the recent matches.

Reactions: MVPFAN
No huge surprises. We wrestled relatively well. Good to see Woods, Max, and PK with wins. It's a race for second at NCAAs.
I thought we did pretty well. PSU had Bartlett beating Woods, Vann Ness was a given over Murin, Haines was going to destroy Siebrecht, Facundo was beating PK and Starocci was going to wipe the mat with Brands.

Your insistence at the beginning of this thread that the PD was the right call proved pretty quickly that you aren't someone worth having a legitimate conversion with. If you don't want to be met with blunt and harsh discourse, maybe try to be less of an stubborn and ignorant ass.
More name calling 🙄🙄🙄

But it’s all fine and dandy. I’ve been called a lot worse by people a lot more important than an internet wrestling fan.

That was two years ago. Last year Tony shed 20 LBS and was still able to out-experience Kerk in his two wins. Kerk is all grown up now and his skill is really starting to show. Just like Star he's difficult to take down and uses his length/size well. Tony never threatened him tonight.

Tony and our staff will have to find a new way to compete with Kerk because what worked before ain't gonna work no more. When was the last time we were able to out-strategize PSU H2H when it mattered?
I know Tony thinks he is better after losing weight as do others and some aspects of his game probably are better but I feel he is not as good in other areas and smaller Tony is a worse matchup vs the guys he needs to beat to win a title.. I agree they better figure something out because I don't see him beating Kerk or Parris and the NW guy is right there too.

Reactions: Mendoza77
You gotta give Murin a little more credit. I know you picked Van Ness but Max battled tonight and was the aggressor even with the lead. 😃😃😃
Absolutely agree WRT tonight...and I loved that he beat SVN. But for reasons unknown as good as Max is - and I think he's got the talent to be a top 3 guy - he seems to become a defensive wrestler against the top 10ish guys. And I don't know why because he clearly has the goods! I loved the way he was wrestling earlier this year, but then when he faced Yahya he went back to that defensive, do nothing but handfight style and hope for the best at the end of the 3rd or in SV (which of course didn't go well). I don't think he can beat Yianni and probably not Gomez, but I definitely think he can beat the rest of them if he goes on the offensive.

Went about as expected.
Lee as expected
Disappointed teske gave up the fall. Gotta know the match score and situation.
Real and murin wrestled well.
Siebrecht wrested well but showed why you have to have a leg attack to get past the round of 12. Needed a td in the last 30-40 seconds and didn't fire off a shot.
Kennedy wrestled tough. Not sure how Facundo wasn't hit for startling.
I figured brands would keep it close.
Assad would not have won but likely keeps it to a regular deciy.
Warner likely never beats dean. He's looking like a 5th-7th place finisher and no better.
Cass ain't ever beating kerk again.
Agree, though I still think Warner can beat Dean if his 'mind is right'. And I would say "not likely, but still possible' that Cass ever beats Kerk again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT