ADVERTISEMENT

So... any guesses to good news on the way

Spicolli

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2001
From that stupid other thread...sounds like there is news on the way...

Best case - Suriano commit (Hall's not ready).
Yates ?
Happel ?

I'm not sure who else might be ready to pull the trigger...

Really hoping for Suriano! Of course Hall would be HUGE but gut feeling is a long shot. Suriano, Happel, Moore, Young and the of course the Bull Marinelli would nail down a great class.

Hall won't be announcing for awhile. Happel is my guess and would be a great addition.

I'm NOT trying to open a can of worms here but Iowa isn't listed on Yates list on Flo. Is there somewhere else that he says Iowa is an option?

It should also be noted that Willie, despite your hatred for him, was very specific that he had gotten info from the Yates family as to his list of choices and that Iowa was not on that list. His other stuff was clearly couched as an opinion, but the Yates stuff seemed to be concretely rooted in sources. I love Yates, hope we land him, but that gave me pause.

Don't have an opinion on Flo either way. Seriously I'm begging not to turn this thread into another Flo discussion. Just curious if Yates mentioned Iowa in a different article or not. I'm a big fan of his and think he would fit in well.

Also I've read on this site once Hall signs all the chips will fall into place. I actually think Suranio is the one who holds the key. Lots of lower weights that need good homes. Once Suriano announces chips will fall into place. Just my opinion.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
It should also be noted that Willie, despite your hatred for him, was very specific that he had gotten info from the Yates family as to his list of choices and that Iowa was not on that list. His other stuff was clearly couched as an opinion, but the Yates stuff seemed to be concretely rooted in sources. I love Yates, hope we land him, but that gave me pause.

Yes but don't put much stock into Willie..esp this far away from PA. Brands is a bit quirky and remember Gilman was coming to Iowa way before he announced and also acted like Iowa wasn't talking to him or on the radar. IMO Tommy has a full hand and is being coy and likewise I think a few kids are playing iowa off by design. He would love to see someone like cael waste valuable recruitment time and resources as well as he and ramos giggle about making Willie look like the blowhard.r know it all that he fancies himself. I think ot s hilarious. Like Iowa isn't on Spencer Lee's radar now. Bahahahaha

Not that he's right or wrong about his other predictions but I think Willie nailed this one.

Also I've read on this site once Hall signs all the chips will fall into place. I actually think Suranio is the one who holds the key. Lots of lower weights that need good homes. Once Suriano announces chips will fall into place. Just my opinion.

I agree If Suranio signs most likely Hawks will lose Yates Need to get Lee then Hall and
ill be set.

Good news coming but might not be great news. LOL

I'm leaning towards Happel or Suriano. Fosu is going to get a big name soon.

Reactions: Knight563
I think ot s hilarious. Like Iowa isn't on Spencer Lee's radar now. Bahahahaha

Ihawked -- The one comment of Willies that I found most difficult to believe was that Spencer Lee was not currently considering Iowa. I have posted several times on this board over the past year or so regarding recruiting (mostly Western Pa and Young Guns kids) and very closely follow the PA wrestling scene. My son graduated HS two years ago and belonged to Young Guns for about 7 years. I do not know where Spencer Lee plans to wrestle in college and do not believe that anybody else (particularly anyone that would then post that information on a message board -- including Willie) knows at this point.

What I can offer is the local view of where Spencer may be leaning from the perspective of current teammates and their parents. The first thing you need to realize is that Spencer is different than all of the other recent Young Guns kids that have been ranked in the top 25 of HS prospects. Not better or worse than the other kids but very different. By being different, I am not referring to his wrestling potential but rather how he and his parents have "managed" Spencer's career and how the family interacts with teammates and their parents. Like most of the Young Gun's and Franklin Regional families, the Lee's are very social and engaging with the other families, while at the same time they have remained incredibly private as it relates to Spencer's wrestling future beyond HS.

With most of the other kids/families it was usually general knowledge and openly discussed what schools they were considering and what they viewed as the pros and cons (coaches, academics, tradition, wrestling fit, location, etc) for each school. With the Lee's it is a very different dynamic. In addition to being very private the Lee's are also very professional in how they engage the other kids and families. While Spencer and the Lee's interact very well with the other kids and families it is also very clear that Spencer and the way his family has "managed" his career to date, is very different than the other kids in the room.....even though many of them are also top 25 ranked kids. If you were to engage Spencer or his parents regarding college preference the conversation will quickly elevate to 40,000 ft with comments such as it is way to early to even discuss colleges.....Spencer is fortunate to have a lot of options...there are so many good programs to choose from, etc taking over the conversation.

IMO, the Lee's have a very defined plan for Spencer's wrestling career through college and beyond on the international scene. I also believe that the Lee"s have a plan and/or process for college selection that they will go through to enable them to make the best decision with the optimal timing. While Spencer and his family have done a remarkable job of keeping their cards very close to their vest; when you talk to the kids and the parents that are closest to Spencer and his family they will uniformly state that they believe it is a 2 horse race between PSU and Iowa. In over 2 years and numerous conversations I have never heard any other schools discussed (and very rarely only one of the 2 mentioned).

Considering the current climate, with social media poised to spread rumors and distort the truth, I respect how the Lee family has handled Spencer's decision-making process. There's certainly nothing wrong with being more open about the process, but we all know how rumors can spread on message boards and how some fans (and some in the media) are more than happy to spread half-truths or even outright falsehoods based on just a tiny nugget of information from a wrestler or someone close to him.

If I had a son of Spencer's stature in the sport, I'd probably keep the decision-making process pretty darn close to the vest, too. Based on your description, it sounds like the Lee family has managed to do this while still being social and pleasant with the other Young Guns families. I commend them for that. . . and I'll add that Spencer would look fantastic in black and gold while learning from the best lower-weight coaching staff and wrestling room in the nation!

Ihawked -- The one comment of Willies that I found most difficult to believe was that Spencer Lee was not currently considering Iowa. I have posted several times on this board over the past year or so regarding recruiting (mostly Western Pa and Young Guns kids) and very closely follow the PA wrestling scene. My son graduated HS two years ago and belonged to Young Guns for about 7 years. I do not know where Spencer Lee plans to wrestle in college and do not believe that anybody else (particularly anyone that would then post that information on a message board -- including Willie) knows at this point.

What I can offer is the local view of where Spencer may be leaning from the perspective of current teammates and their parents. The first thing you need to realize is that Spencer is different than all of the other recent Young Guns kids that have been ranked in the top 25 of HS prospects. Not better or worse than the other kids but very different. By being different, I am not referring to his wrestling potential but rather how he and his parents have "managed" Spencer's career and how the family interacts with teammates and their parents. Like most of the Young Gun's and Franklin Regional families, the Lee's are very social and engaging with the other families, while at the same time they have remained incredibly private as it relates to Spencer's wrestling future beyond HS.

With most of the other kids/families it was usually general knowledge and openly discussed what schools they were considering and what they viewed as the pros and cons (coaches, academics, tradition, wrestling fit, location, etc) for each school. With the Lee's it is a very different dynamic. In addition to being very private the Lee's are also very professional in how they engage the other kids and families. While Spencer and the Lee's interact very well with the other kids and families it is also very clear that Spencer and the way his family has "managed" his career to date, is very different than the other kids in the room.....even though many of them are also top 25 ranked kids. If you were to engage Spencer or his parents regarding college preference the conversation will quickly elevate to 40,000 ft with comments such as it is way to early to even discuss colleges.....Spencer is fortunate to have a lot of options...there are so many good programs to choose from, etc taking over the conversation.

IMO, the Lee's have a very defined plan for Spencer's wrestling career through college and beyond on the international scene. I also believe that the Lee"s have a plan and/or process for college selection that they will go through to enable them to make the best decision with the optimal timing. While Spencer and his family have done a remarkable job of keeping their cards very close to their vest; when you talk to the kids and the parents that are closest to Spencer and his family they will uniformly state that they believe it is a 2 horse race between PSU and Iowa. In over 2 years and numerous conversations I have never heard any other schools discussed (and very rarely only one of the 2 mentioned).
WHAAAAAT?? Willie is wrong?? I find that very hard to believe.

ADR1qxB.jpg

Reactions: bert0781

Appreciate the detailed insight on the situation, and to PA wrestling.

Reactions: letsgohawks44
Man I'm getting restless:)....join the family Suriano, Happel, Yates, Moore, HALL!

Ihawked -- The one comment of Willies that I found most difficult to believe was that Spencer Lee was not currently considering Iowa.
Except for the part where we both said Iowa was on the list for Spencer, dead on. More fabrication. Shaping the narrative around the reality you'd like to create instead of the actual truth. Welcome to the list! Now go take a nap.

Good news coming but might not be great news. LOL

I'm leaning towards Happel or Suriano. Fosu is going to get a big name soon.
^This^
Both of these guys are a lot closer to being Iowa commits than some of the others being discussed. Lee, Hall and Yates are not basing decisions on what other recruits are doing. Of them Lee is most likely to be a Hawk while the other 2....

Like last year (and every year for every program), most kids that fans want are going other places. Like last year during the summer/fall posters are going to question if a change is needed in coaching/philosophy. Like last year I'm telling you all "Relax." I'm just gonna say it earlier this year. It's Iowa. More kids grow up wanting to go to Iowa than any other program (that may change in the next decade but that's another discussion). The program will be alright and get some recruits in the upcoming class that will put smiles on your faces.

Oh no. CP we love you, we love Flo, we love Willie. Please let's move on brother. 97.213% of the board appreciates what Flo does for wrestling. Let's just talk recruits on this thread. THATS WHY WE CREATED THIS ONE IS TO GET AWAY FROM THE NEGATIVITY. Thanks man.

Oh look, Flo is posting a lot of Iowa stuff today. CP, the more you come on here to discuss non-wrestling issues, the more you get dragged into the muck. Don't see you on here much anymore except to defend Willie. Is that because you are a Hawk fan but want to avoid the appearance of favoritism? How professional (really).

Reactions: el dub
^This^
Both of these guys are a lot closer to being Iowa commits than some of the others being discussed. Lee, Hall and Yates are not basing decisions on what other recruits are doing. Of them Lee is most likely to be a Hawk while the other 2....

Like last year (and every year for every program), most kids that fans want are going other places. Like last year during the summer/fall posters are going to question if a change is needed in coaching/philosophy. Like last year I'm telling you all "Relax." I'm just gonna say it earlier this year. It's Iowa. More kids grow up wanting to go to Iowa than any other program (that may change in the next decade but that's another discussion). The program will be alright and get some recruits in the upcoming class that will put smiles on your faces.
Good luck with all that. I've been saying the same thing for as long as this sight has been up damn near. No reason to fret over things you have no control over (it will get worse before it gets better if something doesn't happen soon - Death, Taxes, Sun rising in the East, that sort of thing).

Granted, I'm not all that thrilled with the Title drought either and the scoring disparity at NCAA's, etc. It needs to get better, and by quite a bit frankly. I personally think the Development has been lacking far more than the recruiting, but that's just my opinion. Iowa will get their share, they need to get better when they hit Iowa City, and that needs some work.

Iowa DOES need to make a recruiting splash at some point, and pull in their targets when they've got the resources to do so, and then of course it has to translate to the mat. They're not going off the grid any time soon, but a decade of small trophies at The Big Show will ultimately make it more difficult. We need to get better at everything. Period.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Except for the part where we both said Iowa was on the list for Spencer, dead on. More fabrication. Shaping the narrative around the reality you'd like to create instead of the actual truth. Welcome to the list! Now go take a nap.

CP - I'm not trying to shape any narrative. I'm from PA and my first rooting default is to the local wrestlers. When Iowa faces PSU I will root for PSU unless Kemerer or Young is wrestling. If they face Nolf or Joseph....I hope the best kid wins. With regard to the Lee sweepstakes, I hope he goes to Pitt as that would go a long way in helping Pitt get to the next level. I simply offered my opinion on where I felt Spencer and his family were in the recruiting process. A different perspective on a very active topic if you will.

Now it is indeed time for this old man to take his nap......but first, I think it would be wise for you and the other public faces of Flo to heed the sage words of Ben Franklin -'Don't throw stones at your neighbors', if your own windows are glass.' Whether you realize it or not, Flo(wrestling) lives in two very shallow pools. The Wrestling pool and the Venture Capital pool. Both niche pools, or groups where all members of each group shares a common interests. Flo(wrestling) exists through the benevolence of the members of both of these groups. Continue to alienate and piss off the "highly engaged" members of the very shallow pool of wrestling fans at your own peril as it will not take long for you to also alienate the Venture Capital pool as well.

While Flo's combative Public Relations strategy may play well in the bars on Sixth Street and South Congress in Austn, TX; it's not playing very well on Main Street USA.

Gadsen coming back to wrestle freestyle. Not the type of big news I was looking for, but as a wrestling fan I'm excited to see him and Snyder go at it again. That is if they both get that far.

As CP stated, Needanaps post is spot on - except for the fact that he said Willie said Iowa was not on the list for Lee. I think he got this confused with the statement Willie said about Hall. He reiterated this statement on another board - he thinks Hall knows where he wants to go to school at this point, but he is not saying anything. His opinion is that Iowa, Minny, OK State are not in the running at this time. His gut feeling. He did not say that about Lee.

I have posted about Lee on another board about conversations I have had with his teammate & family because of a relationship I have with them due to my son wrestling with them. Everything he posted - which is closer to the situation than I am - falls right in line with everything I have heard. Nobody knows what he is doing. The two schools ALWAYS mentioned around him are PSU & Iowa. The only time I heard anything else was that he would have to check out ASU, but that came from one of his buddies who is going there.

Last edited:
On another note, I'm going to side with PBS here and say - as a rival fan, too - relax, Iowa recruiting is fine whether they miss on Lee OR Hall OR Suriano OR Yates. And so is PSU's.

There has been a lot of discussion on this board about "high end" recruiting, etc - but I think it has gone waaaaaaaay overboard. Mark Hall is great, but people on here have already crowned him 4x, bonusing throughout. I'm not sure that he is even the best HS kid at his weight (2015 kids included) let alone some kind of Ruth/Taylor point machine. Nobody is. Likewise, with the rest - Spencer Lee was the best wrestler in the country no matter what age at his weight - until about a month or so ago.

Marinelli is already in the fold. Two studs already committed for 2017. There are loads of talented kids left for 2016 that aren't named Mark Hall - Suriano, Happel, Yates, White, Pletcher, Red, Breske, Saavedra, etc. Loads left in 2017 also. All these guys fill the bill for what you need to compete for NCs. Odds are that at least one or two of them will end up with better college careers than Hall and Lee also.

Reactions: moug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT