ADVERTISEMENT

Top Guys at each weight next season

LaxHawk174

HR All-American
Jan 15, 2014
I just listed a bunch of guys in each weight that I think will be the serious AA contenders, just to give people an idea of how our hawks might stack up in each weight class. If you have any people that I missed, mention them to be added, I'm sure i missed a few people.

* = Returning All American

*Gilman IOWA
*Tomasello? tOSU
*Dance? Vtech
*Millhof* OU
*Peters UNI
*Schram STAN
*Cruz Lehigh
McGhee Mizz
Bresser OSU
Suriano PSU
Rodriguez NDSU
Lambert NEB
Micic MICH
Piccinnini OSU

*Clark IOWA
*Richards ILL
*Tomasello? tOSU
*Dance? Vtech
*Taylor WISC
*Montoya NEB
*Moisey WVU
*Youtsey MICH
Cortez PSU
DiCamillo UVA
Brock OSU

*Heil OSU
*Meredith WYO
*McKenna STAN
*Jack NCST
*Ashnault RU
*Gulibon PSU
*Cruz LEH
*Ward UNC
Kolodzik PRIN
Manley MIZZ
Thorn MINN
Gross SDSU
Hayes tOSU

*Retherford PSU
*Sorensen IOWA
*Collica OSU
*Mayes MIZZ
*Pantaleo MICH
*Tsirtsis NW
*Oliver CMICH
*Martinez BSU
*Clagon RID
*DePalma KSU
*Neff LEH
*Chishko Vtech
Jordan tOSU
Lugo EDIN
Finesilver DUKE

*Imar ILL
*Nolf PSU
*Smith OSU
*Palacio CORN
*Murphy MICH
*Walsh RID
Kemerer IOWA
Berger NEB
Steiert UNI
Ryan tOSU

*I. Jordan WISC
*Lewis MIZZ
*McFadden Vtech
*Wilson STAN
Rohskopf NCST
Valencia ASU
Massa MICH
Joseph PSU
Marinelli IOWA
Marsteller/Rogers OSU
White tOSU

*B.Jordan tOSU
*Nickal PSU
*Crutchmer OSU
*Meyer IOWA
*Epperly Vtech
*Jackson IND
*Weatherspoon ISU
*Hammond CSUB
*Ramos UNC
*Realbuto CORN
Reed OU

*Dean CORN
*Dudley NEB
*Renda NCST
*Boyd OSU
*Brooks IOWA
*Miklus MIZZ
*Dechow ODU
*Martin tOSU
Abounader MICH
Zavatsky Vtech
Valencia ASU
McCutcheon PSU

*Cox MIZZ
*Pfarr MINN
*Downey ISU
*Haught Vtech
*Harner PRIN
Studebaker NEB
Weigel OSU
Wolfe RID

*Snyder tOSU
*Coon MICH
*Walz Vtech
*Medberry WISC
*Dhesi OSU
*Kroells MINN
Stoll IOWA
Hall ASU
Black ILL
Nevills PSU

Title Contending Teams Next year
IOWA
PSU
tOSU
OSU
VTech

Dark Horses
MICH
MIZZ

Last edited:
Picininni for OSU at 125

Did no one graduate at 149? Holy cow that's a lot of returning AA's. Have to believe some of those guys clear out.

Ryan for tOSU at 157

Like your contenders and dark horses. Those are my picks as well except I'd drop Michigan. I think we see the long awaited return of ASU next year.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
I am guessing that IMAR and Bo Jordan will both move up a weight next year. Wouldn't be surprised if Micha does too. Looked pretty lean at 141. But, maybe he would rather continue to suck weight than have Zain in his way for a national title

I am guessing that IMAR and Bo Jordan will both move up a weight next year. Wouldn't be surprised if Micha does too. Looked pretty lean at 141. But, maybe he would rather continue to suck weight than have Zain in his way for a national title
He'll be at 149

Imar is moving up to 165 next year. He is NOT pulling weight for trials as previously reported.

1. Expect Gilman to bonus everybody but Micic
2. Clark will b in the deepest weight next year. Could finish anywhere from 1st to 5th.
3. Turk is a bit under the radar. Has some Great offense from space something the team needs to work on as a whole.
4. Sorensen takes 2nd again. Unless he figures out how to score without a tie he will never beat Rutherford.
5. Kemdawg is for REAL once GMan has graduated he will be my favorite Hawk. Sky is the limit for him. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with Nolf. Only kid I think he has trouble with.
6. Pass
7. Meyer could AA or go 2-2 next year. Really like how he looked on the backside in New York. Showed some nice moves.
8. Brooks anywhere from 2nd to low AA. Has to get better at scoring from space though.
9. Holloway/transfer pass
10. Stoll will AA and have some nice bonus pts along the way but hwt is pretty loaded again next year. Healthy Nevils & add Medberry and it could get Very interesting. I would be SHOCKED if Synder comes back.
I honestly thought the Best they could do this year was 2nd or 3rd but next year I honestly feel it will be a dog fight between the 2 most storied wrestling programs in history with a punchers chance for psu & VA Tech...

Reactions: DirkTang1
PSU will be the favorite in my opinion. The guys they have coming in at 125 and 133 will score almost the same points as those weights did this year. Gulibon will be better. 49 and 57 will be the same. 65 Can only get better, 74 will be better. McCutcheon won't be hurt at 84. 97 will drop a bunch but a healthy Nevills will make up those points.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
PSU will be the favorite in my opinion. The guys they have coming in at 125 and 133 will score almost the same points as those weights did this year. Gulibon will be better. 49 and 57 will be the same. 65 Can only get better, 74 will be better. McCutcheon won't be hurt at 84. 97 will drop a bunch but a healthy Nevills will make up those points.

They are likely still the favorites but their 125/133 next year will have a lot of work to do to match champ and mid AA. Who knows with Gulibon, 65 is likely better, 74 can only get 1 match better and Jordan might say something about that. 184 should be better. The Nevills from this year is not even in the area code to match the runner up points from McIntosh.

One thing I have noticed is fosu, osu and psu are beating the bushes and making whatever moves they can to have a stacked lineup. They are planning ahead with HS recruiting, looking at transfers and whatever else they can to get the best possible talent they can assemble, they are outside the box. The osu board mentioned how John Smith has worked to help bolster the level of high school talent in Oklahoma and it is paying off. The best of the best in Iowa are not as good as the states these schools depend on plus they are grabbing studs outside their states. Honestly we seem to be coming up a bit short in these areas, hopefully we can make the needed adjustments. Getting the high school talent back on track in Iowa is going to be a big key, we need to get that travel restriction lifted for starters. There is just not enough talent in state to sharpen people. Between 3 classes and all the weights guys rarely end up fighting it out with other studs to get their title.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Agree, plus some big variables, probably at 84, of Rasheed and Hall. And 97 could be a hole or an AA, hard to tell.

Penn State scored 123 in March and lose 50 rock solid points to graduation (Megaludis, McIntosh, and Conaway). For sure they have replacement points, but IMO these points are not going to be anywhere near as solid at 125 and 197. I don't know a lot about Cortez (133) other than he wrestled behind Zane at Illinois and has lost to Clark. Gulibon scored 3 points, so he can only improve.

Just my opinion but I see PSU as a little vulnerable next year. They have about 70 sure points and it's going to be a scrape for the rest.

They are likely still the favorites but their 125/133 next year will have a lot of work to do to match champ and mid AA. Who knows with Gulibon, 65 is likely better, 74 can only get 1 match better and Jordan might say something about that. 184 should be better. The Nevills from this year is not even in the area code to match the runner up points from McIntosh.

One thing I have noticed is fosu, osu and psu are beating the bushes and making whatever moves they can to have a stacked lineup. They are planning ahead with HS recruiting, looking at transfers and whatever else they can to get the best possible talent they can assemble, they are outside the box. The osu board mentioned how John Smith has worked to help bolster the level of high school talent in Oklahoma and it is paying off. The best of the best in Iowa are not as good as the states these schools depend on plus they are grabbing studs outside their states. Honestly we seem to be coming up a bit short in these areas, hopefully we can make the needed adjustments. Getting the high school talent back on track in Iowa is going to be a big key, we need to get that travel restriction lifted for starters. There is just not enough talent in state to sharpen people. Between 3 classes and all the weights guys rarely end up fighting it out with other studs to get their title.

I agree with everything you stated. Nevills tore a pectoral muscle this year I believe. If he comes back 100% next year he will be a very good heavyweight.

I might add that I was a bit sarcastic with a punchers chance with psu. They will probably still b the team to beat but they will NOT duplicate 125. Now AAing for them at 125 will be easier than 133. Cortez is good but I could easily name 8 guys that I think are better. 197 will be a BIG drop also for them. I think a healthy Nevils is a guy that could be top 4 but not a finalist. I would take Coon, Walz and Medberry over Nevils. So Retherford/GMan is a wash, Nolf/Clark & Turk is a wash, Nickal/Kemdawg is a wash, Nevils/Stoll is a wash. Sorensen gets 2nd and Cortez rd. of 12 type guy. Then through out the 2 possible true Frosh in Marinelli & Suriano and I'll take Marinelli's finish over Suriano's....

I certainly agree that 197 for PSU won't be what it was with Mac but A J Nevill (won the 195 title in CA) this year and 1915 NJ champ and 96k champ at the US Open Jr Nationals in Vegas Anthony Cassar coming in next year, PSU won't be counting on walk-ons at that weight.

Look for arz state to cause some trouble. Not to win it but depends on how brackets are they can be a huge spoiler and help someone hope it is the HAWKS.

1. Expect Gilman to bonus everybody but Micic
2. Clark will b in the deepest weight next year. Could finish anywhere from 1st to 5th.
3. Turk is a bit under the radar. Has some Great offense from space something the team needs to work on as a whole.
4. Sorensen takes 2nd again. Unless he figures out how to score without a tie he will never beat Rutherford.
5. Kemdawg is for REAL once GMan has graduated he will be my favorite Hawk. Sky is the limit for him. Looking forward to seeing what he can do with Nolf. Only kid I think he has trouble with.
6. Pass
7. Meyer could AA or go 2-2 next year. Really like how he looked on the backside in New York. Showed some nice moves.
8. Brooks anywhere from 2nd to low AA. Has to get better at scoring from space though.
9. Holloway/transfer pass
10. Stoll will AA and have some nice bonus pts along the way but hwt is pretty loaded again next year. Healthy Nevils & add Medberry and it could get Very interesting. I would be SHOCKED if Synder comes back.
I honestly thought the Best they could do this year was 2nd or 3rd but next year I honestly feel it will be a dog fight between the 2 most storied wrestling programs in history with a punchers chance for psu & VA Tech...

There is a two time returning National champ that may give him a little resistance.

Reactions: ev_flores0331
125: Tomasello
133: Kaid Brock
149: Z-Pain
157: Imar
165: Isaac Jordan
174: BoJo
184: Gabe Dean
197: J'Den Cox
HWT: Snyder

Cortez is damn good. He actually beat Conaway this year.

Him and Clark have wrestled a ton in their life. They went back and forth in hs but Clark beat him when it counted. He also beat him at midlands two years ago. I think he'll AA but not sure how high. Like the poster above stated 33 is going to be stacked with high end talent.

Another name to throw in there is Jaydon Clayton of Mizz. He had a really good RS year. I remember him beating up on Kaid Brock in all star dual last year.

Him and Clark have wrestled a ton in their life. They went back and forth in hs but Clark beat him when it counted. He also beat him at midlands two years ago. I think he'll AA but not sure how high. Like the poster above stated 33 is going to be stacked with high end talent.

Another name to throw in there is Jaydon Clayton of Mizz. He had a really good RS year. I remember him beating up on Kaid Brock in all star dual last year.
I'm thinking Guilbon is headed back down to 33.

Besides his win over a teammate, his best win in college is probably over Scott Delvecchio. I do think he'll be a tough out, but he really hasn't proven a lot on the collegiate level

Thanks Lax for a good listing of contenders. This is who I think the top 2-3 guys will be at each weight, with their primary challengers in ( ). Of course I'm assuming certain jumps in weight class (e.g. Tomasello, Dance, Martinez, B. Jordan, Martin, etc.). Strongest weights appear to be 133, 165, 184 and 285. The two ? are because I'm not sure Clagon is that good, and not sure if Snyder will definitely be at OSU next year.

125 = Gilman (Micic, Suriano)
133 = Clark - Tomasello - Brock (Richards, Taylor, Dance)
141 = Heil - McKenna (Jack, Ashnault)
149 = Retherford - Sorensen (Mayes, Collica, Clagon?)
157 = Nolf - Smith (Murphy, Kemerer)
165 = Martinez - I. Jordan (Valencia, Joseph, Marinelli, Lewis, Rogers, White)
174 = Nickal - B. Jordan - Jackson (Crutchmer)
184 = Dean - Martin (Dechow, Dudley, Valencia, Brooks, Boyd, Renda)
197 = Cox (Pfarr)
285 = Snyder? - Coon (Walz, Dhesi, Medberry, Stoll, Hall, Nevills, Kroells)

125: Tomasello
133: Kaid Brock
149: Z-Pain
157: Imar
165: Isaac Jordan
174: BoJo
184: Gabe Dean
197: J'Den Cox
HWT: Snyder

Bojo will wrestle Bo Nickal three times, minimum. Not saying he might not win one, but Nickal beats him 2 out of every 3 times, guarantee. He's not scoring from neutral unless Nickal slips on a throw, which COULD happen, but relying on it isn't happening very often.

Tomasello, I still think is going up to 133. Gilman has his number and he might actually have a better shot at a loaded 133 and he gassed badly against Gilman, and gassing against anyone, anytime, is a bad sign. It's why I need to see more of Cory Rasheed, because once you see that gas tank problem, it needs to be figured out and fixed.

Look for arz state to cause some trouble. Not to win it but depends on how brackets are they can be a huge spoiler and help someone hope it is the HAWKS.

Correct. Arizona State will jump into the top 7 or 8 this year, maybe better.

Clayton beat several NCAA qualifiers this year and won a bunch of matches by bonus too (stuck UNIs Alber). Did lose to Richards and Gasca but he'll be a big improvement over Synon.

Bojo will wrestle Bo Nickal three times, minimum. Not saying he might not win one, but Nickal beats him 2 out of every 3 times, guarantee. He's not scoring from neutral unless Nickal slips on a throw, which COULD happen, but relying on it isn't happening very often.

Tomasello, I still think is going up to 133. Gilman has his number and he might actually have a better shot at a loaded 133 and he gassed badly against Gilman, and gassing against anyone, anytime, is a bad sign. It's why I need to see more of Cory Rasheed, because once you see that gas tank problem, it needs to be figured out and fixed.
First, stating with certainty that Nickal will beat Jordan a majority of the time shows your PSU bias - I personally think that Nickal is slightly better, but not by much, so who knows how their matches will go. Second, you mention a CORY Rasheed - is he the same as Shakur? I checked the PSU roster and see only Shakur listed.

First, stating with certainty that Nickal will beat Jordan a majority of the time shows your PSU bias - I personally think that Nickal is slightly better, but not by much, so who knows how their matches will go. Second, you mention a CORY Rasheed - is he the same as Shakur? I checked the PSU roster and see only Shakur listed.
Yes Corey and Shakur are the same person.

I'll take BoJo everytime against Nickal. If and when Bo Jordan moves up, he'll win 74. He would have won 74 in New York if he had stayed there.

I'll take BoJo everytime against Nickal. If and when Bo Jordan moves up, he'll win 74. He would have won 74 in New York if he had stayed there.
Lets not forget Nickal will improve from this year to next. I like Nickel over BoJo.

I'll take Bo. If I were to knock Nickal it would be that he looks/acts a bit like he is disinterested. He is REALLY good and would love for him to be a Hawk but would say the same even he were. Same could be said of Clark or Meyer at times also.

I'll take Bo. If I were to knock Nickal it would be that he looks/acts a bit like he is disinterested. He is REALLY good and would love for him to be a Hawk but would say the same even he were. Same could be said of Clark or Meyer at times also.
The most disinterested wrestler I've ever seen was Ed Ruth, especially on top.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT