ADVERTISEMENT

UNI Open

So does the performance of the Hawkeyes today quiet the "pull the shirts" folks? We know Lee is a title contender if healthy, but still gotta wonder if his knee is 100%, so why pull his shirt unless you go all-in with Murin and Warner. These guys have tremendous talent and potential. but pretty obvious from today's results that Murin and Warner need the redshirt season.

Murin got dominated by Martin (Topher Carton majored Martin twice last season). Murin needs a year to mature and grow into a strong 141, and the Martin match shows he needs a lot of work on getting out from the bottom like 99% of true freshmen. Turk has struggled, so they gave Happel a shot, and he didn't really do anything significantly better than Turk. Not much difference between Turk, Happel, and Murin right now, so no reason to pull Murin's shirt.

Warner beat Woodley 5-2 earlier this year, but lost to him today 5-4. Don't know much about Woodley, but it appears he's the 3rd best 197 on Oklahoma's team. 197 is filled with Seniors, so it makes most sense to keep the shirt on Warner so he gets bigger and stronger and the weight empties out. Wilke is having a good season so far, so replacing him with Warner wouldn't be much of an improvement, if any. With a year to mature, Warner should start next season with a high ranking and be in position to contend for a title for four years.

The Murin hope is that he could help staunch the bleeding at 133. No given, to be sure.

We may find, over the next several weeks, that Wilcke and Warner are closer than we thought. That certainly adds an additional dimension to his redshirt decision, if Wilcke is farther along than we thought and Warner has a little more to go than we thought.

But the Lee decision is entirely independent. If Wilcke can (similarly to Warner) hit top 5 at 197, and we were already writing off 133 for team points, then you're still pairing Lee with Kemerer, Marinelli, Sorenson, PD3, Stoll, and Wilcke for a great group of fighters come tournament-time.

Are we sure Wilson lost? He was green, right? They raised green's hand.

I think Raschka did win, but the scoreboard had me all kinds of confused.

Warner beat Woodley 5-2 earlier this year, but lost to him today 5-4. Don't know much about Woodley, but it appears he's the 3rd best 197 on Oklahoma's team.

Warner also best Dixon from Okie as well. I think Woodley is Oklahoma’s best 197 but he’s in the same position as Warner. Woodley is pretty good but a lesson for Warner about sitting on his butt with the lead. Warner is not redshirting for lack of talent...but size.

Last edited:
Keegan shaw won in SV over Fortuna 3-1. Will wrestle for 3rd. Murin up for 3rd now on mat 5

My takeaways from the past 18 hours:
- Lee’s redshirt needs to be pulled. He looks ready to win it now.
- Leave Warner’s shirt on ... his loss didn’t change my mind. Wilcke looks just about as good. Warner after a year of strength training will be scary.
- There is no solution for 133/141 this year. Murin could improve the situation, but he’s not ready to AA yet, so leave the shirt on. Gotta go Laux + Turk and just deal with it.

Murin gets ridden almost entire period. Hart finally lets him out after he realizes he can't get riding time. Murin wins 3-1. Murin really struggles on the bottom.

Overall Placements from today:

Spencer Lee - 1st Place
Myles Wilson - 2nd Place
Max Murin - 3rd Place
Jacob Warner - 3rd Place
Jeremiah Moody - 3rd Place
Keegan Shaw - 4th Place
Connor Corbin - 4th Place
Aaron Costello - 4th Place
Logan McQuillen - 5th Place
Aaron Meyer - 6th Place
Stephen Alvarez - DNP (0-2)
Zach Axmear - DNP (0-2)
Sam Cook - DNP (0-2)

One thing that seems to have escaped most everyone's attention is the "savior" you're all looking forward to at 184 could throw a big monkey wrench into the 197 mess. First though, as I've said all along, it makes no sense to pull Warner's shirt when we have a capable body there already in Wilcke. I don't think there is enough difference between Warner and Wilcke to waste one of them sitting. Secondly (and this is hearsay, I don't follow any college athletes on Twitter) it sounds like Downey has been talking smack to a certain 197 pounder on Twitter, so he might have different ideas on how our line-up might look than all of you. I would hope Brands had struck a different deal with him, especially since it sounds like Wilcke and Warner both certified at 197. And lastly, call me a skeptic, but Downey still has some things to accomplish, and three months plus to behave himself before he can score points for us at NCAAs. Maybe today will slow down some of the "pull the shirt" talk, but there are more issues than that to deal with.
Spencer looked great today against less than impressive competition, but I still worry about his knee even though we could really use the points he'd bring us.
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but putting some food for thought out there.

Last edited:
And which "schtick" may that be? The one where I said that I Could be dead wrong on this one, or the "schtick where I said, Hence, the potential ignorance?

Can't get one by Spooner, eh, folks? ;) Hes is a shaaaaarp cookie!

No.............

Spooner just needs whoever buys his underwear for him to start getting a size or two larger. That's all.
slowdance__by_serge.gif

[

We may find, over the next several weeks, that Wilcke and Warner are closer than we thought. That certainly adds an additional dimension to his redshirt decision, if Wilcke is farther along than we thought and Warner has a little more to go than we thought.

But the Lee decision is entirely independent. If Wilcke can (similarly to Warner) hit top 5 at 197, and we were already writing off 133 for team points, then you're still pairing Lee with Kemerer, Marinelli, Sorenson, PD3, Stoll, and Wilcke for a great group of fighters come tournament-time.[/QUOTE]

I think you are dreaming unfortunately. I don't advocate pulling any shirts this year unless the kid and his family insist.

[

But the Lee decision is entirely independent. If Wilcke can (similarly to Warner) hit top 5 at 197, and we were already writing off 133 for team points, then you're still pairing Lee with Kemerer, Marinelli, Sorenson, PD3, Stoll, and Wilcke for a great group of fighters come tournament-time.

I think you are dreaming unfortunately. I don't advocate pulling any shirts this year unless the kid and his family insist.[/QUOTE]

Great set of reasons you got there.....because I’M DREAMING.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT