ADVERTISEMENT

US Open Sr freestyle thread

M

J

Just shut the **** up already. You and every other high school district qualifier that pretends to know more about our wrestlers than the coaches. You’re not a physical therapist, you’re not a doctor, you know nothing about his medical issues. Now go tell everyone how you almost made state your senior year at the bar this weekend.

People that can't wrap their minds around a guy coming off double ACL surgery to knees that already had ACL issues not being healthy are either trolls or really dense.

Why is it so hard for some people to understand Spencer’s situation? He is trying to make the world team and Olympics. He doesn’t have a ton of options. Hes hurt and can’t train properly. He’s doing everything in his power to achieve his dream. HIS dream. He’s not a coward or quitter. He’s not hurting anyone else. I can’t understand any response other than compassion for his situation.
I agree. That doesn't mean it's not a good look, or that someone should question whether he's getting proper counsel, etc. Again, it has been stated on here that this "song" is being used against us. They're not mutually exclusive...you can have compassion and state your opinion on the situation's impact on the program. The purpose of a fan forum, maybe. Instead, we'll stick to name calling (not you evan, others).

Reactions: lookleft goright
Not a good look for program....and this Excuses are for Wusses motto is starting to sound like Excuses are for Spencer....disappointed...come on, and dad doing the FLO interview
I did not care for the interview myself. Why doesn't anyone just say what is going on with the kids? Why the mystery about injuries? I have to think many people he is competing against know what is happening.

WIth that being said, I hope Spencer can just have some patience and take the time to heal up and make a Oly run. It is hard to watch him, when he wrestles like he did against Smith.

I agree. That doesn't mean it's not a good look, or that someone should question whether he's getting proper counsel, etc. Again, it has been stated on here that this "song" is being used against us. They're not mutually exclusive...you can have compassion and state your opinion on the situation's impact on the program. The purpose of a fan forum, maybe. Instead, we'll stick to name calling (not you evan, others).
He makes his own decisions.

Reactions: el dub
It’s frustrating to be sure, but no one but him knows what he is going through. Cant imagine how frustrating it is for him.

He won a tournament injured and copyrighted the phrase "Excuses are for Wussies" then defaults out of 2 tournaments because he's injured. Does it make me a huge jerk for questioning the business logic, at least?
Yes it does. For starters he was going to try when he won injured because he wanted to win 4 and the team needed him to win the title that year. The juice was worth the squeeze. Since losing while trying to wrestle injured this year the juice has not been worth the squeeze, there is no reason right now to risk a further set backs if he isn't 💯 comfortable.

Yes it does. For starters he was going to try when he won injured because he wanted to win 4 and the team needed him to win the title that year. The juice was worth the squeeze. Since losing while trying to wrestle injured this year the juice has not been worth the squeeze, there is no reason right now to risk a further set backs if he isn't 💯 comfortable.
So he wasn't worried about that in the first 2 matches, just the 3rd and 4th? Then, why enter? Did he get injured in a previous match this tournament? I missed that.

Why is it so hard for some people to understand Spencer’s situation? He is trying to make the world team and Olympics. He doesn’t have a ton of options. Hes hurt and can’t train properly. He’s doing everything in his power to achieve his dream. HIS dream. He’s not a coward or quitter. He’s not hurting anyone else. I can’t understand any response other than compassion for his situation.

This. Well said. Anyone saying different than this is a troll or hater.

My god, there’s a whole lot of stupid in this thread. Good to see the cesspool is still going strong.

Reactions: Gutt15
Eiermann injury defaults to Verkleeren. His would be opponent for 7th did as well, so no contest. Getting sadder.

So he wasn't worried about that in the first 2 matches, just the 3rd and 4th? Then, why enter? Did he get injured in a previous match this tournament? I missed that.

You can't understand the logic that Spencer can beat the guys he wrestled in the first few matches without being 100% and with giving up positions he would definitely wrestle through if healthy? If he wrestled Suriano tonight, he'd need to go 100% if he wanted to win which would drastically increase the odds that he injury himself worse.

You're a dense mfer.

He felt obligated because entering this event is the only way to get in the world team.

He wrestled and after session 1 something wasn't right. If the knee isn't able to go, don't push it. Shut it down and keep working towards next year.

Don't lose next year too just because some idiot keyboard warrior thinks it's a bad look.
I agree with this, but I'd go further and say he should have never come back to Iowa after 21. He should have been working on getting healthy then. Now, who knows how much he's banged up.

Reactions: DanDraper
You can't understand the logic that Spencer can beat the guys he wrestled in the first few matches without being 100% and with giving up positions he would definitely wrestle through if healthy? If he wrestled Suriano tonight, he'd need to go 100% if he wanted to win which would drastically increase the odds that he injury himself worse.

You're a dense mfer.
Oh got, he entered for the practice. I didn't get the memo. Nor the one on Lugo, Keuter, nor Eierman. If he lost or got injured during the match, I understand. Just not how you draw the line in the US Open of where he might get injured. Caleb Smith is an AA and beat Matt Ramos in the past I think.

Anyone know what's up with Ironman. He looked healthy his old self whenever I seen him today.

Oh got, he entered for the practice. I didn't get the memo. Nor the one on Lugo, Keuter, nor Eierman. If he lost or got injured during the match, I understand. Just not how you draw the line in the US Open of where he might get injured. Caleb Smith is an AA and beat Matt Ramos in the past I think.

Did you watch his matches? His 3rd didn’t look like the first two.

Eiermann injury defaults to Verkleeren. His would be opponent for 7th did as well, so no contest. Getting sadder.

If a guy coming off major knee surgery and wrestling up a weight defaults out of the 5th place match at the US Open makes you sad, you might want to consider how you prioritize sports in your life.

Did you watch his matches? His 3rd didn’t look like the first two.

If a guy coming off major knee surgery and wrestling up a weight defaults out of the 5th place match at the US Open makes you sad, you might want to consider how you prioritize sports in your life.
Oh boy I just got to experience getting Spoonered for the first time. I would have figured a person with your unimpeachable message board wisdom would recognize that the comment was tongue in cheek. Of course I'm not literally sad or depressed about it. I'm a huge fan of all Hawks past, present, and (most likely) future, and I root for them to have success and reach their goals. I'm bummed for those that weren't able to finish the tournament, but I don't know shit about the details of their circumstances and have no place to second guess their decisions on the internet.

If it please your majesty, I can run any future thoughts by you for preclearance before posting.

He felt obligated because entering this event is the only way to get in the world team.

He wrestled and after session 1 something wasn't right. If the knee isn't able to go, don't push it. Shut it down and keep working towards next year.

Don't lose next year too just because some idiot keyboard warrior thinks it's a bad look.
Well said. Spencer owes absolutely nothing to the many critics that love to hate him because he came to Iowa. The few comments on social media I could stand to read through were pathetic. Almost none of us know what he is really dealing with yet people love to pile on with absolute garbage about his character or family. Just pathetic. Do what's right for you and your life goals Spencer and forgot the rest of the fools trying to bring you down.

I agree with this, but I'd go further and say he should have never come back to Iowa after 21. He should have been working on getting healthy then. Now, who knows how much he's banged up.
He should have gotten surgery immediately following his third title. I think in hindsight everyone can agree that’s what should have happened. It would have given him 18 months to train and get fully healthy.

Coming back and attempting to wrestle on two torn ACL’s was initially dubbed as noble, and a team player move. The recovery has clearly been troublesome and has potentially left him vulnerable to new injuries.

I hate seeing this and I think shutting it down for as long as it takes is the right call. Get healthy and try to make a run at 24. It might be his one and only chance. Has there ever been a more snake bitten stud? Idk how you can’t feel for Spencer.

He should have gotten surgery immediately following his third title. I think in hindsight everyone can agree that’s what should have happened. It would have given him 18 months to train and get fully healthy.

Coming back and attempting to wrestle on two torn ACL’s was initially dubbed as noble, and a team player move. The recovery has clearly been troublesome and has potentially left him vulnerable to new injuries.

I hate seeing this and I think shutting it down for as long as it takes is the right call. Get healthy and try to make a run at 24. It might be his one and only chance. Has there ever been a more snake bitten stud? Idk how you can’t feel for Spencer.
Exactly, he needs to take his time and work his way back for either next year or 2028.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT