ADVERTISEMENT

Who hates Iowa? Devyn Marble.

libertyhawkeye

HR All-State
Oct 22, 2011
This might blow up because that's what seems to happen. Assuming this is regarding his father Roy Marble and how Iowa hasn't truly recognized him for his contributions.

Reactions: Beam me up
Wow. I thought it was odd that he wasn’t on the video tribute to Luka.

Especially with him playing for Fran.

I’d be curious to know what the riff is.

This might blow up because that's what seems to happen. Assuming this is regarding his father Roy Marble and how Iowa hasn't truly recognized him for his contributions.

It's amazing how Twitter gets people in trouble

Or in Iowa's case, look at how ONE TWEET from James Daniels almost took the entire coaching staff down

Love the Marbles, but I think this is poor form. Roy didn’t get his jersey retired because he wasn’t even the best player in his class and probably not in (my) top 15 players all time. I loved Devyn’s game too, probably more than Roy’s. No one has disrespected them.

Wow. I thought it was odd that he wasn’t on the video tribute to Luka.

Especially with him playing for Fran.

I’d be curious to know what the riff is.
IIRC, the family was not happy his # was never retired (or his jersey is not hanging from CHA);

and when Roy was terminally ill, Iowa had that ceremony where they gave him another framed jersey; I don't think that went over too well w/ the family, either (Iowa didn't do enough)

not sure if Roy's past troubles (and did he get his degree??) were the hold up or not to any further recognition

IIRC, the family was not happy his # was never retired (or his jersey is not hanging from CHA);

and when Roy was terminally ill, Iowa had that ceremony where they gave him another framed jersey; I don't think that went over too well w/ the family, either (Iowa didn't do enough)

not sure if Roy's past troubles (and did he get his degree??) were the hold up or not to any further recognition

Roy is the GOAT. I agree with Devyn.

I don’t think he left Iowa with a degree. So eh e can correct me if I’m wrong. Multiple run ins with the law, including domestic abuse. Substance abuse issues as well. Great player as a Hawkeye. Based on numbers alone he should have his # retired. Based on everything else......absolutely not. Tough call for the University. And when hasn’t the University erred on the side of caution?

Yeah that's my understanding. I can see why Devyn would be upset. Sure Roy had troubles with substances but my gosh time has passed and no need to shame a guy for his own struggles decades ago. Roy was is terminally ill and he gets some awkward recognition ceremony, and Luka gets his number retired when he hasn't finished playing for Iowa. The optics are weird and the AD after Barta should try to fix the broken relationship.

I don’t think he left Iowa with a degree. So eh e can correct me if I’m wrong. Multiple run ins with the law, including domestic abuse. Substance abuse issues as well. Great player as a Hawkeye. Based on numbers alone he should have his # retired. Based on everything else......absolutely not. Tough call for the University. And when hasn’t the University erred on the side of caution?
WOB. So dumb to post this when everybody’s dog already knew this.

Smh. What a tool move.

Reactions: Beam me up
I loved and respected the Marbles at IA.
not to be a jerk , BUT wasn’t Iowa the only D1 offer Devyn had.
probably some what attached to his fathers history at IA.
A lot of his success has to be tied to us giving him an offer,
biting the hand that fed him ?

I’m so glad Gary Barta is perfect so that way he can keep my kids & grandkids from idolizing misfits like the Marbles.

No? It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand why his number wasn’t retired
Well the way this is going to play out on the national stage is a black player who held the record for decades never had his number retired, even when he was gravely ill....meanwhile a white player breaks the record and gets his number retired before the season even ends.

you have to admit the optics are not great, especially given the summer Iowa sports had...

Well the way this is going to play out on the national stage is a black player who held the record for decades never had his number retired, even when he was gravely ill....meanwhile a white player breaks the record and gets his number retired before the season even ends.

you have to admit the optics are not great, especially given the summer Iowa sports had...
The timing of this sucks too. We don’t need Luka’s head focusing on anything but b-ball these next few weeks.

I mean doesn’t it make you wonder?
Not at all. Luka is maybe the most decorated Hawkeye basketball player since what the early 70's? When has Iowa had a 2 time 1st team all American and most likely player of the year?

This has nothing to do with race.

If it becomes a story then Iowa shouldn't hold back on the reasons they didn't retire his number. Love Roy the player, not sure if everyone will say the same for the man.

Oh yeah I completely agree with you on that. The Twitter mob is going to take this and run. I’m just saying it’s completely moronic to try to stretch this into a race thing. These are the times we live in though

Reactions: Franisdaman

There are only "optics" for those that wake up every day looking for "optics".

We will see, I’m guessing this is gonna be big.

I did find it odd he wasn’t in the video congratulating Luka on breaking the scoring record. I hadn’t heard of any bad blood though. Salty about not having his dads number retired I guess? I mean it definitely should be...
Wow, I wish Devyn would have elaborated on that comment. Very surprising to hear that from him. I wonder why he feels the university is disrespecting his family?

In the duplicate thread you responded to, you are getting trolled. Don't feed the troll who is buddies w/ Oliver Martin & thought he should have been starting at Iowa. Don't feed the troll who wanted to meet in Iowa City to fight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT