ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the greatest CBB player you have ever seen play...

The great college players I saw in person were the following:

Lew Alcindor- UCLA
Chuck Darling-Iowa
Don Nelson-Iowa
Jerry Lucas-Ohio State
John Havlicek- Ohio State
Johnny "Red" Kerr-Illinois
Don Schlundt-Indiana

I will never forget the February 18, 1961 game at the Old Fieldhouse when Iowa almost upset No. 1 ranked Ohio State losing 62-61 after leading most of game. It was remarkable because Iowa lost four starters after the first semester. Don Nelson, the center, and the only remaining starter played with four reserves. Matt Szykowny, the football quarterback, played guard. The noise was deafening as the students were stomping their feet on the steel bleachers in the upper deck. Bobby Knight was a member of the Ohio State team but not a starter.

Lew Alcindor- UCLA
Chuck Darling-Iowa
Don Nelson-Iowa
Jerry Lucas-Ohio State
Don Schlundt-Indiana

I will never forget the February 18, 1961 game at the Old Fieldhouse when Iowa almost upset No. 1 ranked Ohio State losing 62-61 after leading most of game. It was remarkable because Iowa lost four starters after the first semester. Don Nelson, the center, and the only remaining starter played with four reserves. Matt Szykowny, the football quarterback, played guard. The noise was deafening as the students were stomping their feet on the steel bleachers in the upper deck. Bobby Knight was a member of the Ohio State team but not a starter.
I saw Alcindor/Jabbar, Nelson, and Havlicek on TV as NBA players, but not Lucas. I've read about how amazing Lucas was at OSU and he's in the conversation about being the NCAA GOAT. What's your memory of his play?

Reactions: Fan In Black
The PG on Bird’s team played in the NBA.
I had forgotten that, good catch. I wonder how many guys of Mike and Bill W's teams went to the NBA?
Correct answer, although Maravich and Alcindor.........

Poor Pistol, he never played in a meaningful playoff game until his last year with the Celtics and by then the clip was empty.

Numerous Big Ten players but I’ll highlight those already mentioned - Ronnie Lester, Magic, Big Dog, and Isaiah Thomas.

I lived in Virginia in the late-80s, early 90s, so I got to see Charlie Ward of FSU, and GA Tech‘s ’Lethal Weapon 3’ - Kenny Anderson, Brian Oliver, and Dennis Scott - certainly the best trio of players on the same team I’ve ever personally seen.

But perhaps the most complete player I saw during that time frame was UVA’s Bryant Stith. He was a joy to watch. He’s still UVA’s leading scorer, a record unlikely to be broken anytime soon.

Numerous Big Ten players but I’ll highlight those already mentioned - Ronnie Lester, Magic, Big Dog, and Isaiah Thomas.

I lived in Virginia in the late-80s, early 90s, so I got to see Charlie Ward of FSU, and GA Tech‘s ’Lethal Weapon 3’ - Kenny Anderson, Brian Oliver, and Dennis Scott - certainly the best trio of players on the same team I’ve ever personally seen.

But perhaps the most complete player I saw during that time frame was UVA’s Bryant Stith. He was a joy to watch. He’s still UVA’s leading scorer, a record unlikely to be broken anytime soon.
We overlapped at UVA. Yes, Stith was a joy to watch. I didn't attend many games, so missed those GA Tech guys. The best opponents I saw were Duke and UNC.

If you qualify the question to be the greatest college player I saw live, I will agree on Magic Johnson. But, I never hear anyone mention that for most of MSU's championship season, Greg Kelser was usually the best player on MSU's team. Kelser was a really undersized PF/Center (maybe 6-7/6-8, thin, but strong), who was tough as nails on both ends of the court, could run like a deer, and could jump higher than anyone he played against.
Greg Kelser was the answer I was going to give. I saw a lot of MSU games in my 'yute' and he was dominant. Magic was phenomenal, don't get me wrong, but Kelser was something special.

Mark Aguirre, Depaul @ Loyola, 1980. The guy was a brute, but had better ball=handling and shooting skills than people realized.
Those DePaul teams had some good players. Cummings, Grubbs, Bradshaw, Dillard, Mitchem...

Another player from Chicago in that era was from Loyola: Alfredrick Hughes. Great college scorer, but one of the worst first round picks in NBA history.

In-person, maybe Magic or Isiah Thomas. I also saw Phi Slamma Jamma play in the KC regional in 1983. Iowa was sooo close to getting by Villanova and having the pleasure of going up against Houston. Hakeem Olajuwon was remarkable to watch play the game in person. The fastest big man up and down the court I have ever seen.

Those DePaul teams had some good players. Cummings, Grubbs, Bradshaw, Dillard, Mitchem...

Another player from Chicago in that era was from Loyola: Alfredrick Hughes. Great college scorer, but one of the worst first round picks in NBA history.
The Loyola team I saw had Kevin Sprewer, Darius Clemons, Leroy Stampley and Daryl Bush, but don't remember the 5th starter or other players. I remember when that was a HUGE rivalry in Chicago, until Ray Meyer started locking down the Public League.

The Loyola team I saw had Kevin Sprewer, Darius Clemons, Leroy Stampley and Daryl Bush, but don't remember the 5th starter or other players. I remember when that was a HUGE rivalry in Chicago, until Ray Meyer started locking down the Public League.
OH! I remember them. Larry Knight was on that team. Don't know if he made it to the NBA, though.

John "the Legend" Lickliter

2922b0fe-f7c3-11de-84ea-001cc4c002e0.image.jpg

My memory only goes back to mid 80's or so, and not necessarily arguing who is best all time, but some names I recall off the top of my head:

Glen Rice
Patrick Ewing
David Robinson
Shaq
Kenny Anderson
Grant Hill
Allen Iverson
Danny Manning

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot.

Lew Alcindor- UCLA
Chuck Darling-Iowa
Don Nelson-Iowa
Jerry Lucas-Ohio State
Don Schlundt-Indiana

Unless you are pretty old, like us, you have no idea how good Jerry Lucas was in college. Like Ronnie, he had a horrible knee injury that kept him from being more than just a very good player in the NBA. Oscar Robertson was so good at Cincinnati that OSU only won one national championship with their great teams from 1960-1962. I never saw Chuck Darling, Red Kerr or Don Schlundt.

Best college player I ever saw live - Big Dog Robinson.

Best player I ever saw live on tv (meaning in my generation) - Allen Iverson.

I saw him in person vs Iowa at Carver and he was phenomenal. Still not sure how Iowa won that game.
I was at that game as a student. I think he had 29 points in the first half! We rushed the court after.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT