ADVERTISEMENT

Zain Retherford: Brandon Sorensen’s Gordian Knot

burk11

HR All-State
Mar 12, 2003
We all watched a great wrestling match on Sunday, albeit Sorensen on the losing end for the sixth time in his head-to-head matchups with Retherford. Regardless of the outcome, Sorensen met the challenge, he competed without fear. “Failure is often as exciting to watch as success when the effort is absolute” (Roger Banister).

Retherford’s constant motion rendered Brandon’s attack ineffectual, neutralizing Brandon’s offense. Movement is the great equalizer. Retherford’s performance reminds of the great fighter Willie Pep, arguably the greatest “pure boxer” to ever enter the ring. Pep was inside, then he was outside, always out of range. He moved to the left, then moved to right, grueling to find. He was up, then he was down, always a confusing. Watch Pep grab an elbow and spin his opponent, forcing a reset of the action and his opponent to start the attack anew. Watch Pep feign a punch, and his opponent retreat and defend against an attack that never arrives. Always controlling the tempo and action of the bout. This paragraph is the essence of Retherford’s performance in Lansing Michigan on March 4, 2018.

Thus it seems the Retherford is that Gordian Knot for which there is no solution. This knot has no beginning, and this knot has no end.

wrxg_f-maxage-0.gif

We all watched a great wrestling match on Sunday, albeit Sorensen on the losing end for the sixth time in his head-to-head matchups with Retherford. Regardless of the outcome, Sorensen met the challenge, he competed without fear. “Failure is often as exciting to watch as success when the effort is absolute” (Roger Banister).

Retherford’s constant motion rendered Brandon’s attack ineffectual, neutralizing Brandon’s offense. Movement is the great equalizer. Retherford’s performance reminds of the great fighter Willie Pep, arguably the greatest “pure boxer” to ever enter the ring. Pep was inside, then he was outside, always out of range. He moved to the left, then moved to right, grueling to find. He was up, then he was down, always a confusing. Watch Pep grab an elbow and spin his opponent, forcing a reset of the action and his opponent to start the attack anew. Watch Pep feign a punch, and his opponent retreat and defend against an attack that never arrives. Always controlling the tempo and action of the bout. This paragraph is the essence of Retherford’s performance in Lansing Michigan on March 4, 2018.

Thus it seems the Retherford is that Gordian Knot for which there is no solution. This knot has no beginning, and this knot has no end.

Retherford, usually an offensive dynamo, made 0 point scoring attempts in his two minutes of riding and took a half a shot(middleof 3rd period) in 5 minutes of neutral wrestling.

I did "knot" see much wrestling there. Say what you want.

That said. He beat a really good wrestler for the 6th time. Tough to do

Last edited:
Pep was a weak featherweight. Retherford might be the strongest 49er out there.

You lost me at "great wrestling match".

How many times can a ref warn a wrestler for hands to the face yet do nothing about it? I couldn't believe how often the ref warned zain but within 5 seconds his fingers were right back in Sorensons face.

Reactions: acuhawk
Is that anything like a Square Knot or a Bowline? With a Bowline, the rabbit comes out of the hole and runs around the tree and goes back down into the hole. I'm guessing Zain is the rabbit and Sorensen the tree but I just heard Barry Davis is retiring...he announced it at a convenience store carrying a shit load of snacks with an open bag of donuts. Gable was on hand and approved his selection of treats...Finally, Barry can splurge.

Is that anything like a Square Knot or a Bowline? With a Bowline, the rabbit comes out of the hole and runs around the tree and goes back down into the hole. I'm guessing Zain is the rabbit and Sorensen the tree but I just heard Barry Davis is retiring...he announced it at a convenience store carrying a shit load of snacks with an open bag of donuts. Gable was on hand and approved his selection of treats...Finally, Barry can splurge.
Not sure how many will get the Barry Davis - Dan Gable reference but for some reason I have always remembered that Sports Illustrated article regarding that event.

How many times can a ref warn a wrestler for hands to the face yet do nothing about it? I couldn't believe how often the ref warned zain but within 5 seconds his fingers were right back in Sorensons face.
My dad (who is a casual wrestling fan, but has started following the hawks thanks to me, and only started following wrestling when i started in HS), texted me right after Retherford/Sorensen with this exact quote: "Was that wrestling or face slapping? That was horrible, ref needs to penalize that crap."

Reactions: acuhawk and tiltman
You lost me at "great wrestling match".

BondHawk,

Touche‘!

However, ‘Beauty is in the eye of the beholder’. In my ‘eye’ both kids wrestled to win, maybe excessively cautious, but brilliant execution. These kids have seen each other multiple times. My only criticism of Sorensen is that he has done little to alter his style/attack over the years, unlikely that he will change.

As noted previously on this forum, when contrasting the philosophy of wrestling at the University of Iowa vs that of Oklahoma State University; “if something is not working for an Iowa wrestler, you try harder. If something is not working at Stillwater, you try something different.”

Neither wrestler could get to the legs, great counters to everything, blocking, hand fighting (underneath) was relentless. In my ‘eye’ Retherford’s constant movement is ‘soooo’ difficult to defeat.

Reactions: therod and Chuck C
BondHawk,

Touche‘!

However, ‘Beauty is in the eye of the beholder’. In my ‘eye’ both kids wrestled to win, maybe excessively cautious, but brilliant execution. These kids have seen each other multiple times. My only criticism of Sorensen is that he has done little to alter his style/attack over the years, unlikely that he will change.

As noted previously on this forum, when contrasting the philosophy of wrestling at the University of Iowa vs that of Oklahoma State University; “if something is not working for an Iowa wrestler, you try harder. If something is not working at Stillwater, you try something different.”

Neither wrestler could get to the legs, great counters to everything, blocking, hand fighting (underneath) was relentless. In my ‘eye’ Retherford’s constant movement is ‘soooo’ difficult to defeat.

Several good points. And I agree on the fact that Zain is constantly moving. On top, even when not working for points, he is always keeping heavy pressure on the down man. I would like to wrestle with him for 2-3 seconds :). Joking aside, it would only take that long to realize what I have always thought. That he is freakishly strong. Much stronger than he looks

Now with that said, back to your "movement" point. I have seen Zain wrestle Brandon all of their matches and probably have seen Zain wrestle another 20 or so matches. This is honestly the first time I can ever recall him not driving the action. Looking for points. Moving ahead. Sunday, I don't want to say he was necessarily stalling the entire match, but I do think he could have been dinged once. What I would say, is that he seemed to be circling much more than he usually does, and at times, IMO, circling backwards bit by bit.

Now I have to give some of that credit to Brandon. He did a better job of hand fighting, head positioning, no doubt. But to your Iowa/Okie St example. Things have been working for Zain, so why the change? Again was it Brandon? Or something that Zain chose to do?

Here's to Brandon getting it done when it matters the most!! Hope Mark Perry is in his ear about his Johnnie Hendricks history. :)

Reactions: el dub

Did you notice him push off of the top of BS’s head with the palm of his hand over and over and over and over. I sure hope BS sees this in film study.

BS needs to get his forehead off the mat, and maybe he could escape. If I were the ref, I would have dq'ed both for stalling in the 2nd. Retherford took the only legit shot during that match.

Reactions: ih8iast8
Agree. Neither wrestler was stalling...

Have to disagree. It's incumbent on the top guy (the offensive one) to try and score on the bottom guy...or at least be in a position to try and score. For example, Brandon gets guys in a spiral ride off to the side. We all know that he's not going to actually turn a guy from there...at least most of the time but that he's making it look good. Zain, who normally breaks guys down either turns guys or looks like he is going to turn guys (freshman year excluded of course). For some reason, that didn't happen this match...all he did was ride Brandon's hips.

Reactions: acuhawk and jvclark
Have to disagree. It's incumbent on the top guy (the offensive one) to try and score on the bottom guy...or at least be in a position to try and score. For example, Brandon gets guys in a spiral ride off to the side. We all know that he's not going to actually turn a guy from there...at least most of the time but that he's making it look good. Zain, who normally breaks guys down either turns guys or looks like he is going to turn guys (freshman year excluded of course). For some reason, that didn't happen this match...all he did was ride Brandon's hips.

CHief: I agree and have said several times it seemed so atypical of him. On top Zain had both of Brandon's legs laced with his arms making it almost impossible for Brandon to stand up or sit out(or even get hand control underneath) and equally difficult for Zain to work out to the side or try to turn.

Last edited:
That match reminded me how much i hate riding just to ride and riding time points period. Just awful.
I personally think that was a set up match for both guys going into nationals. Zain didn't care to show too much and Brandon wanted to see if he could get out from the bottom.
I did think Brandon might have figured out a method to beat Zain though. Hand fight like a mother in first period but play mostly defense. Take neutral in the 2nd and do more of the same. Just flat out make sure you don't get taken down.
In the third ride him as hard as possible and look for a quick tilt or suck back but ultimately just try to wear on Zain as much as possible for as long as possible.
Assuming Brandon doesn't get a tilt or riding time, both of which are super unlikely, he needs to just work his ass off for a late td and create a scramble situation and hope for the best.
Total long shot but its the only way he's beating Zain. If he ends up underneath him at anytime, he loses.

CHief: I agree and have said several times it seemed so atypical of him. On top Zain had both of Brandon's legs laced with his arms making it almost impossible for Brandon to stand up or sit out(or even get hand control underneath) and equally difficult for Zain to work out to the side or try to turn.
Zane was working to get legs in on BS. BS was working hard to prevent that. It might have looked like stalling, but BS knew that if ZR could get legs in to ride with his bow and arrow it would lead to him scoring more and possible pin. Of course to say nothing about the intense pain that could render. BS was there before.

Reactions: Creek Side
I viewed this match to be very similar to the Snyder-Coon match. Both wrestlers seemed to be overly tentative and hesitant to show any cards that they might need to play at nationals. They both know each other's game so well. I'm hoping that if, hopefully when, they meet in Cleveland that both wrestlers will let things fly as it will be their last NCAA head to head.

That match reminded me how much i hate riding just to ride and riding time points period. Just awful.
I personally think that was a set up match for both guys going into nationals. Zain didn't care to show too much and Brandon wanted to see if he could get out from the bottom.
I did think Brandon might have figured out a method to beat Zain though. Hand fight like a mother in first period but play mostly defense. Take neutral in the 2nd and do more of the same. Just flat out make sure you don't get taken down.
In the third ride him as hard as possible and look for a quick tilt or suck back but ultimately just try to wear on Zain as much as possible for as long as possible.
Assuming Brandon doesn't get a tilt or riding time, both of which are super unlikely, he needs to just work his ass off for a late td and create a scramble situation and hope for the best.
Total long shot but its the only way he's beating Zain. If he ends up underneath him at anytime, he loses.
BS getting a tilt against Zain? Has he tilted anyone this year?

Reactions: Lew Masterson
I agree that Brandon was working hard to avoid letting Zane get the leg in, I think that focus prevented him from making any moves to get to his feet and get out. Eventually, you have to take a chance to win a match and Brandon didn't seem to want to take that chance at Big 10s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT