ADVERTISEMENT

Lady Buffs plan on getting in Caitlin's head. “We’re just going to see how the Refs are calling the game & go from there."

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Another game plan of being very "physical" where the refs can't call a foul every single time.

The story from the Denver Post:

Keeler: CU Buffs on opportunity to end Caitlin Clark’s Iowa Hawkeyes career: “We want to come in and ruin everyone’s day”

DENVER, CO - NOVEMBER 8:  Sean Keeler - Staff portraits at the Denver Post studio.  (Photo by Eric Lutzens/The Denver Post)

By SEAN KEELER | skeeler@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
PUBLISHED: March 26, 2024 at 7:53 p.m. | UPDATED: March 27, 2024 at 9:26 a.m.

BOULDER — Caitlin Clark wears your heart on her sleeve. Her game is three-fifths Steph Curry, one-fifth Hermione Grainger, one-fifth John Cena. She’s LeBron with a ponytail, Taylor Swift with a better jumper, the smoke and the inevitable.

“It’d be hard to get into her head,” CU Buffs guard Tameiya Sadler told me Tuesday just before practice for the Sweet 16 at the Events Center. “But we’re going to try it.

“We’re going to keep going. We’re going to give her our best fight, for sure. Give her anything that we have to throw her off her game and get this one.”

Before we dive into Saturday’s Buffs-Iowa rematch in Albany, a quick bit of trivia on CU-vs.-Clark Part I, played last March in Seattle. Sadler was the only Buffs guard to play at least 21 minutes against the Hawkeyes during their Sweet 16 matchup and not pick up at least three or more fouls along the way.

Long story short: Iowa coaxed three Buffs starters into fouling out, outscored them 19-5 at the charity stripe, and ended CU’s season by rallying for an 87-77 victory.

Now this doesn’t make Sadler some expert on how to defend Clark, college basketball’s all-time scoring leader and the most popular NCAA hoops player on the planet. It just makes her less petrified than most mortals would be when running with an assassin who thinks 30 feet is a layup.

“Caitlin’s very emotional, so for us, it’s like, we can’t feed into her emotions that she’s going to play with,” Sadler continued. “Because she’s going to fall, she’s going to throw up her hands, she’s going to talk to the refs. But at the end of the day, we can’t focus on that. We have to focus on us.”

The focus, at least to 99.998% of the millions who’ll tune in to ABC for Saturday’s regional semifinal, will be on Clark, who’s already declared for the WNBA draft, and the Hawkeyes. CU? CU’s a speed bump. A bit player. The villains standing between America’s favorite shooter and America’s favorite Final Four narrative.

Sadler smiled at that last one. Wickedly. To heck with that. She wants to send Clark home.

“For sure. I feel like, going into the Kansas State game, we were like, ‘We want to come in and ruin everyone’s day,'” said Sadler, who did her part with 10 points, two assists, two rebounds and a steal in 19 minutes off the bench in a 13-point win over the fourth-seeded (and site host) ‘Cats this past Sunday.

“This is what we want to do. And so we like that underdog mentality because that’s when we play our best brand of basketball. So we were excited to be that villain.”

AP24086030866462.jpg

Iowa guard Caitlin Clark calls for a foul after a shot in the first half of a second-round college basketball game against West Virginia in the NCAA Tournament, Monday, March 25, 2024, in Iowa City, Iowa. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

America loves its bad guys. That is, until those bad guys start costing the powers that be money.

As good as Clark has been for the game, she’s proven to be even better for business. She’s made Iowa women’s hoops appointment viewing — which makes the NCAA tourney appointment viewing as long as the Hawkeyes are still rocking the bracket. The Iowa-Holy Cross game in the first round reportedly averaged 3.23 million viewers on ABC, making it the most-watched pre-Final Four game in women’s tourney history. (And it crushed the old mark of 767,000 for UConn-Jackson State in 2022.)

Fast forward to this past Monday night in Iowa City, and West Virginia had the Hawks on the ropes. Only the Mountaineers shot five free throws … as a team. Iowa shot 30. The visitors were whistled for 27 fouls. The Hawkeyes got tagged with 11.

Fuzzy math, that. Curious.

“I think the biggest thing is actually a mental approach to that, because you’re not going to avoid the fouls, we all know that,” Buffs guard and former Valor star Kindyll Wetta offered Tuesday. “But how are you going to respond when you do get the foul call? Are you going to argue? Are you going to complain? Or are you just going to say, ‘OK, I need to focus, keep playing the game, and not let this bother me?’ So, I would say (it’s) mostly mental.”

With more eyeballs comes more scrutiny. Neutrals felt West Virginia got jobbed. And celebs such as Damian Lillard weren’t shy about going to social media to share their disgust.

“We’re just going to see how the refs are calling the game and go from there,” Sadler reasoned. “But we’re a defensive team, and so we pride ourselves on defense. And we’re going to go out there and be aggressive, no matter what.”

Alas, the zebras in Bracketville don’t usually love cutting the story’s villains a break down the stretch.

Well, unless you’re Duke.

“We’re going to be the ones to ruin their day, for sure,” Sadler continued. “Because I know people are not even counting on us to even win this game. We’re going to show them what CU basketball is about.”

Another game plan of being very "physical" where the refs can't call a foul every single time.

Keeler: CU Buffs on opportunity to end Caitlin Clark’s Iowa Hawkeyes career: “We want to come in and ruin everyone’s day”

DENVER, CO - NOVEMBER 8:  Sean Keeler - Staff portraits at the Denver Post studio.  (Photo by Eric Lutzens/The Denver Post)

BOULDER — Caitlin Clark wears your heart on her sleeve. Her game is three-fifths Steph Curry, one-fifth Hermione Grainger, one-fifth John Cena. She’s LeBron with a ponytail, Taylor Swift with a better jumper, the smoke and the inevitable.

“It’d be hard to get into her head,” CU Buffs guard Tameiya Sadler told me Tuesday just before practice for the Sweet 16 at the Events Center. “But we’re going to try it.

“We’re going to keep going. We’re going to give her our best fight, for sure. Give her anything that we have to throw her off her game and get this one.”

Before we dive into Saturday’s Buffs-Iowa rematch in Albany, a quick bit of trivia on CU-vs.-Clark Part I, played last March in Seattle. Sadler was the only Buffs guard to play at least 21 minutes against the Hawkeyes during their Sweet 16 matchup and not pick up at least three or more fouls along the way.

Long story short: Iowa coaxed three Buffs starters into fouling out, outscored them 19-5 at the charity stripe, and ended CU’s season by rallying for an 87-77 victory.

Now this doesn’t make Sadler some expert on how to defend Clark, college basketball’s all-time scoring leader and the most popular NCAA hoops player on the planet. It just makes her less petrified than most mortals would be when running with an assassin who thinks 30 feet is a layup.

“Caitlin’s very emotional, so for us, it’s like, we can’t feed into her emotions that she’s going to play with,” Sadler continued. “Because she’s going to fall, she’s going to throw up her hands, she’s going to talk to the refs. But at the end of the day, we can’t focus on that. We have to focus on us.”

The focus, at least to 99.998% of the millions who’ll tune in to ABC for Saturday’s regional semifinal, will be on Clark, who’s already declared for the WNBA draft, and the Hawkeyes. CU? CU’s a speed bump. A bit player. The villains standing between America’s favorite shooter and America’s favorite Final Four narrative.

Sadler smiled at that last one. Wickedly. To heck with that. She wants to send Clark home.

“For sure. I feel like, going into the Kansas State game, we were like, ‘We want to come in and ruin everyone’s day,'” said Sadler, who did her part with 10 points, two assists, two rebounds and a steal in 19 minutes off the bench in a 13-point win over the fourth-seeded (and site host) ‘Cats this past Sunday.

“This is what we want to do. And so we like that underdog mentality because that’s when we play our best brand of basketball. So we were excited to be that villain.”

AP24086030866462.jpg

Iowa guard Caitlin Clark calls for a foul after a shot in the first half of a second-round college basketball game against West Virginia in the NCAA Tournament, Monday, March 25, 2024, in Iowa City, Iowa. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

America loves its bad guys. That is, until those bad guys start costing the powers that be money.

As good as Clark has been for the game, she’s proven to be even better for business. She’s made Iowa women’s hoops appointment viewing — which makes the NCAA tourney appointment viewing as long as the Hawkeyes are still rocking the bracket. The Iowa-Holy Cross game in the first round reportedly averaged 3.23 million viewers on ABC, making it the most-watched pre-Final Four game in women’s tourney history. (And it crushed the old mark of 767,000 for UConn-Jackson State in 2022.)

Fast forward to this past Monday night in Iowa City, and West Virginia had the Hawks on the ropes. Only the Mountaineers shot five free throws … as a team. Iowa shot 30. The visitors were whistled for 27 fouls. The Hawkeyes got tagged with 11.

“I think the biggest thing is actually a mental approach to that, because you’re not going to avoid the fouls, we all know that,” Buffs guard and former Valor star Kindyll Wetta offered Tuesday. “But how are you going to respond when you do get the foul call? Are you going to argue? Are you going to complain? Or are you just going to say, ‘OK, I need to focus, keep playing the game, and not let this bother me?’ So, I would say (it’s) mostly mental.”

With more eyeballs comes more scrutiny. Neutrals felt West Virginia got jobbed. And celebs such as Damian Lillard weren’t shy about going to social media to share their disgust.

“We’re just going to see how the refs are calling the game and go from there,” Sadler reasoned. “But we’re a defensive team, and so we pride ourselves on defense. And we’re going to go out there and be aggressive, no matter what.”

Alas, the zebras in Bracketville don’t usually love cutting the story’s villains a break down the stretch.

“We’re going to be the ones to ruin their day, for sure,” Sadler continued. “Because I know people are not even counting on us to even win this game. We’re going to show them what CU basketball is about.”

My goodness, these teams and coaches just keep fueling the fire😳 I don’t see how they think it helps their cause?

it’s almost like their making a hero movie about Iowa basketball and all the enemies they have to face.

AP24086030866462.jpg

Good! This should put Caitlin and the team in the right mindset

Can Colorado beat the Hawks of course, If I were them I wouldn’t count on Iowa shooting 36% from the field and 22% from three like the Hawks did vs W.Virginia.
I am one of those that feel Iowa getting out of Iowa City and all the pressure the Seniors felt to win their last home game will actually loosen the team up and allow them to just play ball.

The guy is just making stuff up about Iowa overlooking them.

We could very well lose, but it won't be because Iowa was not taking them seriously.

Quotes might be to motivate his own team, but is also bulletin board material. Better to just keep your mouth shut, but it's also a way to get attention on his program.... It's why everyone wants a shot at Caitlin and Iowa now

Can Colorado beat the Hawks of course, If I were them I wouldn’t count on Iowa shooting 36% from the field and 22% from three like the Hawks did vs W.Virginia.
I am one of those that feel Iowa getting out of Iowa City and all the pressure the Seniors felt to win their last home game will actually loosen the team up and allow them to just play ball.

Agreed... Getting out of Iowa City and making the sweet 16 is a huge load of their shoulders.

Yes, their #1 seed suggests that they SHOULD make the final four. But failing to make the elite 8, isn't going to feel like a utter failure.... Like losing in the second round at HOME would have been.

They absolutely want/expect to win, but they should be playing with house money now :cool:

Good! This should put Caitlin and the team in the right mindset

any game where they don't come in with the right mindset they are going to lose

luckily, they came in with the right mindset against West Virginia and pulled away at the end

We lost some games in the regular season when holding a lead in the 4th qtr; hopefully this team is past that

Colorado has a huge center and a the Sherrod girl is probably the most athletic guard we'll have played this year. Gonna be a tough one.

5 seniors and 2 juniors make up their top 7.

The 5 starters vs Kansas State (and their averages):

Quay Miller, 6'3 Senior; 9 pts, 7.5 reb
Aaronette Vonleh, 6'3 Junior, 14 pts, 5.2 reb
Frida Formann, 5'11 Senior, 12.5 pts, 2 reb, 2 assists
Maddie Nolan, 5'11 Senior, 6.5 pts, 2.5 reb, 1 assist
Jaylyn Sherrod, 5'7 senior, 12.9 pts, 3 reb, 5 assists

2 key players off the bench:

Kindyll Wetta, 5'9 Junior, 6 pts, 3 reb, 4 assists
Tameiya Sadler, 5'8 Senior, 5.5 pts, 2 reb, 2 assists

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Iowa will lose when the refs let the opponent beat the hell out of them/injury and not call fouls. Iowa is not going to win the tourney because the refs will not call fouls consistently and let teams push, shove, hold, trip, etc. I do not believe they will face SC this year (they won't get that far).

I really get tired of the muggings on the court. It would be really nice if we could actually watch a BBall game versus rugby match on the BBall court.

JMO

Sure hope you are right. It is starting to feel like it is Iowa against the world here. Everyone but us Iowa fans, heck, even some of our own, want Iowa to lose. Already blaming the refs. It’s kind of crazy.

5 seniors and 2 juniors make up their top 7.

The 5 starters vs Kansas State (and their averages):

Quay Miller, 6'3 Senior; 9 pts, 7.5 reb
Aaronette Vonleh, 6'3 Junior, 14 pts, 5.2 reb
Frida Formann, 5'11 Senior, 12.5 pts, 2 reb, 2 assists
Maddie Nolan, 5'11 Senior, 6.5 pts, 2.5 reb, 1 assist
Jaylyn Sherrod, 5'7 senior, 12.9 pts, 3 reb, 5 assists

2 key players off the bench:

Kindyll Wetta, 5'9 Junior, 6 pts, 3 reb, 4 assists
Tameiya Sadler, 5'8 Senior, 5.5 pts, 2 reb, 2 assists
Stuelke 6'2, 14.1, 6.7, 1.2 Soph
Clark 6'0, 31.8, 7.3, 8.8 Senior
Martin 6'0, 12.8, 6.8, 2.5 Senior
Affolter 5'11, 7.9, 6.6, 2.3 Jr
Marshall 5'9, 5.9, 5.9, 1.7 Senior
Feuerbach 6'0, 2.8, 1.4, Jr
O Grady 6'3, 4.2, 1.9, Jr
Davis, will she play? Senior that would add quality depth. 5'7, 6.1, 2.6, 3.1

Looks like it's Colorado that should be worried. Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Can Colorado beat the Hawks of course, If I were them I wouldn’t count on Iowa shooting 36% from the field and 22% from three like the Hawks did vs W.Virginia. I am one of those that feel Iowa getting out of Iowa City and all the pressure the Seniors felt to win their last home game will actually loosen the team up and allow them to just play ball.

Good discussion here on getting out of Iowa City and playing more freely.

Hit the PLAY button.

Must not have gotten the memo. Iowa is the villain now. And now that the media is pushing this disgruntled story about getting called for fewer fouls, they won't be getting many favorable calls this weekend. So feel free to make hoops and play the heel.

And this narrative that Iowa isn't the underdog in this tournament is wrong. Yeah, they have CC22, and they have been there, but this is Iowa's underdog story.

The guy is just making stuff up about Iowa overlooking them.

We could very well lose, but it won't be because Iowa was not taking them seriously.

Quotes might be to motivate his own team, but is also bulletin board material. Better to just keep your mouth shut, but it's also a way to get attention on his program.... It's why everyone wants a shot at Caitlin and Iowa now
Mouthing off worked well for the West Virginia coach, so Colorado decided to use a similar strategy. Genius. LOL

this smells like a huge Gabby Marshall game to me.
Clark is gonna draw so much attention I think Gabby will be the X factor in a Hawk win.
I got the Hawks by 10ish
One issue they NEED to clean up is turnovers. They had a ton vs WVU. Cut those down and I feel good about the game.

When one team is known for its rugby style and the other team plays basketball, anyone who's shocked one team got called for a lot more fouls than the other is a biased idiot. And the idea that you can play rough and negate the other team's talent because "they can't call everything" is questionable. It's actually the refs' job to call everything that is a foul a foul. And if an entire team fouls out in the first half, so be it.

This BS of playing "physical" has to stop, in both the men's and women's game. It's ruining basketball. And all that needs to happen to stop it is for the refs to call a foul a foul . . . every damn time.

Iowa will lose when the refs let the opponent beat the hell out of them/injury and not call fouls. Iowa is not going to win the tourney because the refs will not call fouls consistently and let teams push, shove, hold, trip, etc. I do not believe they will face SC this year (they won't get that far).

I really get tired of the muggings on the court. It would be really nice if we could actually watch a BBall game versus rugby match on the BBall court.

JMO
Unfortunately this is my feeling as well. In a physical game the refs just need to do their job. Call a clean game and Iowa has a shot. Eventually they are going to have to beat 8 on 5 and that is really going to piss me off. Again! The championship game last was a farce.

Clark is gonna draw so much attention I think Gabby will be the X factor in a Hawk win.
I got the Hawks by 10ish
One issue they NEED to clean up is turnovers. They had a ton vs WVU. Cut those down and I feel good about the game.
The Hawks had 15 turnovers that game.
WV forces an average of 18 turnovers per game. We did pretty good considering the madness

I got the Hawks by 10ish
I largely agree, whether it is Gabby, or someone else like Martin or Affolter, SOMEONE besides Clark is going to have to make some 3's. WVU missed a ton of open 3's the other night...you can't count on other teams being that bad from distance. Iowa, other than Clark, also missed a bunch of 3's.

Let's have a good shooting game, how about that? :)

When one team is known for its rugby style and the other team plays basketball, anyone who's shocked one team got called for a lot more fouls than the other is a biased idiot. And the idea that you can play rough and negate the other team's talent because "they can't call everything" is questionable. It's actually the refs' job to call everything that is a foul a foul. And if an entire team fouls out in the first half, so be it.

This BS of playing "physical" has to stop, in both the men's and women's game. It's ruining basketball. And all that needs to happen to stop it is for the refs to call a foul a foul . . . every damn time.

Have you watched the ISU men play? I swear they could call a foul every play. Houston, Virginia, etc…

Reactions: blubberhawk
lol neutral observers say wv was jobbed.
That was a brutal hackfest. Anyone not watching Iowa state and Houston all season would have said that game had way too much contact. Much of it seemed intentional to bait Caitlyn.
The author of the article is far from unbiased.

AP24086030866462.jpg

Iowa would have shot at least 60 free throws if I was a ref at the WVU game. I saw three hacks on CC on one possession before she got to half court.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT