ADVERTISEMENT

Just another reminder of how bad ESPN sucks

LaQuintaHawkeye

HR Heisman
Dec 16, 2017

ESPN Promotes Final Caitlin Clark Home Game At Iowa By Using Iowa State Logo Over Her Photo​

>>> LINK <<<

It's important to note that this was a PRE-PRODUCED video. This wasn't a simple mistake made in the moment. This mistake was made beforehand and not one person realized it. That massively raises the level of incompetence.

chris farley what the fuck GIF

Why do I feel like this only happens to Iowa and Iowa State? I never see logos get mixed up with other in-state rivals like this.
Well when you have Ohio State and Iowa together, you are definitely going to get an Iowa State reference at some point.

Reactions: hawksense
Why do I feel like this only happens to Iowa and Iowa State? I never see logos get mixed up with other in-state rivals like this.
They have messed up UNI and Northern Illinois several times.

So a few mistakes on schools you are familiar with likely means it happens a lot.

Funny story: Years ago I went to ISU with an Iranian kid. He spoke English, a little. Anyway he was sent to this country to go to college, and there was some kind of event where foreign students signed up for college. The interviewer said Iowa State and he thought they said Ohio State which he had heard of. So he chose Iowa State by accident. A brilliant engineer and he ended up heading some of the biggest programs at NASA. Didn't know this story until a few years ago he relayed it to me. Funny the twists and turns in life.

Iowa and Iona get mixed up a lot, too.

What's even sadder is that Iona might legit be the better hoops program these days.
I remember once during the Dr. Tom era, Iowa was borderline about making the NCAA tournament. When they showed one of the regional brackets on the selection show I was thrilled....Iowa was there! Except on closer examination it was actually Iona.

Iowa didn't make it that year.

Ol' Doodle had a friend in Hillcrest who was from the Chicago area (shocking!) and when he told his elderly grandmother that he was going to college, she asked where. He said University of Iowa and she said, "Oh, that's nice. What state is that in?" She. Lived. In. Chicago.

Tie No Respect GIF by Rodney Dangerfield
I used to tell people it was a far western suburb of Chicago.

Iowa and Iona get mixed up a lot, too.

What's even sadder is that Iona might legit be the better hoops program these days.

Iona was accused of some violation with their BB program when Lute was here, but they reported it as Iowa and Lute was a little more than ticked off.

Can't recall if it was Gus's broadcast partner or someone in the studio that called us Iowa State a time or two.

Ol' Doodle had a friend in Hillcrest who was from the Chicago area (shocking!) and when he told his elderly grandmother that he was going to college, she asked where. He said University of Iowa and she said, "Oh, that's nice. What state is that in?" She. Lived. In. Chicago.

Had the very same thing happen to me in Chicago. This guy asked me where I was from. He had no clue where the state of Iowa was.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawk-A-Doodle-Doo
I think they’ve done this in the reverse in the past, and we’ve all had a good laugh about it. It’s just not that important to them to get it right.

Reactions: MitchLL

Got one for you.....a very attractive girl who I was going to ask out on a date and who lived in Chicago, asked me where I was from.....testing her geography and sense of direction, I told her I was from a small town about 20 miles northeast of Chicago. She said "wow we are fairly close to each other". I guess she forgot about the lake.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawk-A-Doodle-Doo
I think it's because you notice it when it's your team. It can happen to other teams, but you don't get offended by it and it's not that big of a deal and is quickly forgotten.

I assume at this point it has to be intentional from those in production. Either from Iowa/ISU grads ribbing each other, or even a bitter UNI grad or grad of a rival school...........

Well when you have Ohio State and Iowa together, you are definitely going to get an Iowa State reference at some point.
Yep. This has happened before when we play OSU. Like they can't help but put STATE behind both schools. Still not excuseable.....

I think it's because you notice it when it's your team. It can happen to other teams, but you don't get offended by it and it's not that big of a deal and is quickly forgotten.
Really? Not a big deal you say? Playing a the biggest game of the year on national TV, the most watched regular season womens game, and they put your cross state rivals logo in there. Okay then. I mean if your Iowa State, I can see not being offended if they said you were Iowa, (The States flagship University), i mean it IS the Hawkeye State, but the other way, NO thank you.....

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Can't recall if it was Gus's broadcast partner or someone in the studio that called us Iowa State a time or two.
Sure, but there's a BIG difference between a slip of the tongue in the moment during the game, as Sara did, and a pre prepared production where people look over that stuff before its in. Thats why they have editors...

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
It isn’t just ESecPN, I’ve read multiple articles where the University of Iowa has been put in Ames.

Good point.

Check this out from the B1G official website...once you see it :rolleyes:

Player of the Week
Payton Sandfort
F – Jr. – 6-7 – Waukee, Iowa – Waukee – Major: Finance

• Averaged 24.5 points, 7.5 rebounds, 8.0 assists, and 1.5 blocks, with a shooting line of 40.0/40.0/95.8, as the Hawkeyes scored a pair of wins
  • Recorded the first triple-double in program history with 26 points, 10 rebounds, and 10 assists in a 90-81 victory over Penn State
  • Tallied 23 points, five rebounds, and six assists to lead Purdue to an 87-80 win at Northwestern
  • Garners his first Player of the Week award
  • Last Iowa Player of the Week: Ben Krikke (Nov. 20, 2024)

Good point.

Check this out from the B1G official website...once you see it :rolleyes:

Player of the Week
Payton Sandfort
F – Jr. – 6-7 – Waukee, Iowa – Waukee – Major: Finance

• Averaged 24.5 points, 7.5 rebounds, 8.0 assists, and 1.5 blocks, with a shooting line of 40.0/40.0/95.8, as the Hawkeyes scored a pair of wins
  • Recorded the first triple-double in program history with 26 points, 10 rebounds, and 10 assists in a 90-81 victory over Penn State
  • Tallied 23 points, five rebounds, and six assists to lead Purdue to an 87-80 win at Northwestern
  • Garners his first Player of the Week award
  • Last Iowa Player of the Week: Ben Krikke (Nov. 20, 2024)
He had a hell of a week playing for Iowa AND Purdont!

Really? Not a big deal you say? Playing a the biggest game of the year on national TV, the most watched regular season womens game, and they put your cross state rivals logo in there. Okay then. I mean if your Iowa State, I can see not being offended if they said you were Iowa, (The States flagship University), i mean it IS the Hawkeye State, but the other way, NO thank you.....
I don't think you understood my post. This is a big deal to us as Iowa and Iowa State fans. A really big deal. If you were a Tennessee fan you wouldn't have thought much of it.

I don't think you understood my post. This is a big deal to us as Iowa and Iowa State fans. A really big deal. If you were a Tennessee fan you wouldn't have thought much of it.
Maybe so. Still this team led by THIS young woman has raised the profile of womens basketball on a national level. EVERY major network drooled all season as to who would get their games. FOX themselves moved several of Iowa's games from affiliates to their main network to reap from this abundance, and THEN they do something so stupid as post the WRONG team. Totally ridiculous......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT