ADVERTISEMENT

Lady Buffs plan on getting in Caitlin's head. “We’re just going to see how the Refs are calling the game & go from there."

Colorado has a huge center and a the Sherrod girl is probably the most athletic guard we'll have played this year. Gonna be a tough one.
They will probably dominate the glass so it will be vital that we shoot well and be aggressive , get them in foul trouble. Go Hawks !

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but just recently I've been struck by pbp guys/gals saying stuff like " ... and Jones goes up for the layup and INITIATES the contact ... " like that's straight up textbook, great@ss sh*t right there.

I'm probably just too old school. Indeed, it's a smart play anymore. But C'MON, isn't that so backwards to the spirit of the beautiful game? (to borrow a soccer phrase)

/grumpy old(ish) man rant

The guy is just making stuff up about Iowa overlooking them.

We could very well lose, but it won't be because Iowa was not taking them seriously.

Quotes might be to motivate his own team, but is also bulletin board material. Better to just keep your mouth shut, but it's also a way to get attention on his program.... It's why everyone wants a shot at Caitlin and Iowa now
If the Hawks had blown out WV I'd be worried about them "overlooking" Colorado.

The silver lining of the WV game is it'll have them focused for Colorado.

As long as Iowa doesn’t shoot like Seymor Hoffman in Along Came Polly, they’ll probably be ok
jennifer aniston comedy GIF

Other players MUST step up, CC drawing ALL attention could work to our advantage but will be a dog fight
WV was able to counteract this by fouling the crap out of everyone that got the ball. CC was able to deal with it better than the other players. But since January, teams that tried to shut down Clark were burned by Martin, Marshall, and Stulke and Iowa won those games easily. In fact, just trying to shut down Clark is probably the worst way to try and beat Iowa unless you foul the crap out of everyone else. Just don't complain when Iowa shoots 47 free throws. Your chances of winning are better if you force Clark to be all of the offense and also make sure your own team doesn't have an off night with their own shooting. Clark might put up 45, but she's not going to put up 70. If you can score 85 points and shut everyone but Clark down, you have a real good chance of winning.

So as an Iowa fan, go ahead, put all of your focus on shutting down Caitlin. You'll be lucky to lose by less than 20.

Good for them, that's exactly how competitive people should approach a game line this.

The author of the article is far from unbiased.
And Sean Keeler used to write for the Des Moines Register! And he comes out with this clearly anti-Caitlin Clark, unfair anti-Iowa take about ref bias that is complete BS

He's prepping his audience for the same "unfair" thing to happen on Sat, since the Buffs foul even more than WVU does

I actually think the refs are going to COMPLETELY swallow their whistles, given this idiotic narrative, and it's going to lead to us losing this game

And Sean Keeler used to write for the Des Moines Register! And he comes out with this clearly anti-Caitlin Clark, unfair anti-Iowa take about ref bias that is complete BS

He's prepping his audience for the same "unfair" thing to happen on Sat, since the Buffs foul even more than WVU does

I actually think the refs are going to COMPLETELY swallow their whistles, given this idiotic narrative, and it's going to lead to us losing this game
That’s the point. He’s an Iowa State guy.

They will probably dominate the glass so it will be vital that we shoot well and be aggressive , get them in foul trouble. Go Hawks !

I sure hope not based on stats were a much better rebounding team than they are. I’m expecting for us to dominate the glass

Quite frankly fellas in my mind, calling too many fouls on us is much worse than not calling enough on West Virginia or rather Colorado.

We had I believe our second worst shooting night of the year and we won by 10. That game was tied once late in the fourth quarter otherwise we led the whole entire game. I’m not sure what this team has to do to prove to some of you guys that they can win basketball games… and don’t get me wrong. They definitely can lose this game, but the biggest thing when teams play us, many of them don’t shoot nearly as good at the free-throw line as we do so let’s say we both go to the line 15 times we’re likely to make 12 of them maybe they make eight ?!

We are typically a better rebounding team than most of the teams. We play every now and then we get a little sloppy and lazy on the defensive class, we are beginning to prove we can play some pretty good defense in stretches when we absolutely have to.

I anticipate us going to the rack, more And shooting much better

If the Hawks had blown out WV I'd be worried about them "overlooking" Colorado.

The silver lining of the WV game is it'll have them focused for Colorado.

I would hope that playing in the Sweet 16 by itself would have the Iowa team focused ;)

And Colorado gave Iowa a tough game last year in the Sweet 16 and the Buffs have practically everyone back from last year's team.

They are a veteran group; 5 seniors and 2 juniors make up their top 7.

The 5 starters vs Kansas State (and their averages):

Quay Miller..............6'3 Senior; 9 pts, 7.5 reb
Aaronette Vonleh..6'3 Junior, 14 pts, 5.2 reb
Frida Formann........5'11 Senior, 12.5 pts, 2 reb, 2 assists
Maddie Nolan.........5'11 Senior, 6.5 pts, 2.5 reb, 1 assist
Jaylyn Sherrod........5'7 senior, 12.9 pts, 3 reb, 5 assists

2 key players off the bench:

Kindyll Wetta.........5'9 Junior, 6 pts, 3 reb, 4 assists
Tameiya Sadler.......5'8 Senior, 5.5 pts, 2 reb, 2 assists

True!! West Virginia tried to make it a bar fight, and we saw what happened. Predictably, they committed a lot of fouls and got blasted at the free throw line.
Lol, exactly. I'm admittedly very fair on reffing and will call Iowa out when they get a call they shouldn't, happens all the time. I don't know what game many people were watching but I'm thinking that for a lot of them, it was their first game tuning in. WVU had a very obvious game plan to play physical. It sometimes works. It sometimes doesn't. I don't know where many of these "phantom" calls were that people in social media are mildly upset over. WVU came in aggressive and physical and they left that way...with the L. The reffing is bad anyway in WBB so why are people surprised, even if they aren't right?

I am a bit curious how Colorado Coaches and players are so open an focused on “getting in CCs head”. Are they stupid? Really. I would be shocked if Cc is not Uber focused, passing, running, gunning, etc. the more I see this stuff the more I think we win by 15.
I say let the loose lips buffs keep talking.

Last edited:
AS IF other teams have not tried to get into Caitlin's head! Where'd that get them?

"We want to come in and ruin everyone's day," said the big tuff Buff. Keep huffing and puffing, and we'll see whose house blows down.

GO HAWKS!!

Last edited:
Sports reporting has gotten so lazy. All you need to do is throw in a couple hot takes to get people to talk about your article.
lol it’s the Denver post! It’s like the Gazette or Register writing about Iowa.

Can Colorado beat the Hawks of course, If I were them I wouldn’t count on Iowa shooting 36% from the field and 22% from three like the Hawks did vs W.Virginia.
I am one of those that feel Iowa getting out of Iowa City and all the pressure the Seniors felt to win their last home game will actually loosen the team up and allow them to just play ball.
I feel similarly. At the beginning of the year I thought playing in electric arenas would be to our benefit, because most of the other teams don’t play in those environments except pretty much when they play Iowa. My thought was that that experience matters, and the inexperienced would get spooked. Turns out that didn’t happen, and that pretty much everyone but Clark plays worse. I think being on a more neutral court will allow them to play within themselves. If they can just play an average game that should free up Caitlin to do Caitlin things.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Iowa would have shot at least 60 free throws if I was a ref at the WVU game. I saw three hacks on CC on one possession before she got to half court.
I agree. Anyone who just looks at the fouls called and free throws in a box score does not get a sense of just how aggressive they were playing. It was like the bad boy pistons. I would have fouled out a lot more of them if I was a ref.

I largely agree, whether it is Gabby, or someone else like Martin or Affolter, SOMEONE besides Clark is going to have to make some 3's. WVU missed a ton of open 3's the other night...you can't count on other teams being that bad from distance. Iowa, other than Clark, also missed a bunch of 3's.

Let's have a good shooting game, how about that? :)
West Virginia ranked 122nd in 3 point percentage on the season. Iowa was not that concerned about their 3 point shooters. My God, did you not watch the shooting form of some of their perimeter players. Looked like 3rd graders shooting from the hip.

Sean in Colorado now? Smokin the weed before he writes his columns?

Reactions: amahawk
Being physical towards a teams best player isn’t something new, happens all the time.

The difference is the media attention

Last edited:

Didn’t age well.

My goodness, these teams and coaches just keep fueling the fire😳 I don’t see how they think it helps their cause?

it’s almost like their making a hero movie about Iowa basketball and all the enemies they have to face.

sure didn't help Colorado today

they should have kept their mouths shut

Reactions: cmhawks99
I am a bit curious how Colorado Coaches and players are so open an focused on “getting in CCs head”. Are they stupid? Really. I would be shocked if Cc is not Uber focused, passing, running, gunning, etc. the more I see this stuff the more I think we win by 15.
I say let the loose lips buffs keep talking.
Well I was a bit off on the spread but it was a failed strategy and even a bigger fail to talk about it in advance. Great game ladies. Great coaching and strategy.

Reactions: BioHawk
Can Colorado beat the Hawks of course, If I were them I wouldn’t count on Iowa shooting 36% from the field and 22% from three like the Hawks did vs W.Virginia. I am one of those that feel Iowa getting out of Iowa City and all the pressure the Seniors felt to win their last home game will actually loosen the team up and allow them to just play ball.

Iowa shot 54% overall and 41% from 3

hopefully we can repeat this over our next 3 games

Reactions: Scott559
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT