ADVERTISEMENT

“You either die or emigrate”

• Thread starter anon_ddojbbh8q7xrt
  • Start date
A

anon_ddojbbh8q7xrt

This is important

“You have two choices: You die in Guatemala or you fight for your dream and come here and stay here ... and get a better life with your family," he said.”

This is why we must make it easier and safer not harder.

I see that CNN still struggles with the term Illegal Alien. There is a pathway, come here legally or not at all. We are not the world's babysitter.

Reactions: ghost80
This is important

“You have two choices: You die in Guatemala or you fight for your dream and come here and stay here ... and get a better life with your family," he said.”

The right thing, the Christian thing of course is to open our borders but it irks me that people who espouse that never sit down and ponder the true consequences; they fuzzily just think we'll still be the happy, jolly US of A, with better restaurants. First of all, a lot of the emigration from Central America certainly IS because of gang violence/corrupt governance there, but I think the majority of it is because they have massive population growth when the countries are largely based on subsistence agrculture with no more viable land available. The Catholic Church in its historical quest for maximum peons has of course banned birth control and abortion in those countries. We are therefore their blowoff valve so they can continue having four or five kids that they then can't afford to feed and educate. Second, really look at what will happen if we actually open up; Central America and much of Mexico will absolutely empty out, and Africa will be right behind. We presently are looking at about a million people coming in a year. How can you possibly not think that wouldn't go to four or five million a year? Explain why we wouldn't end up with a population of close to a billion by 2100. We are already running out of water all over the West, and by 2050 with global warming, people are going to have to start relocating from the coasts. According to a recent survey, it's claimed we've already lost a large share of the topsoil from midwest farmland (and you can clearly see that just driving around). In otherwords we are already degrading this country at an unsustainable rate without adding another half billion people. I've been in Mumbai, and I still have nightmares about it. I want our streams to run clear, our birds and other animals to have a place to live, our children to have a good education and a good future. If people are clear-eyed about the consequences of open borders, if they think the only important thing is to be the crowded, leaking lifeboat for an over-breeding world, then that's probably morally admirable. But I think 99% of open borders folks have lazy jelly for brains and aren't really taking responsibility for their beliefs. You can't have it both ways; you instead need to look very carefully at the irreversible consequences of your actions and muse about the future for your country and your offspring.

The right thing, the Christian thing of course is to open our borders but it irks me that people who espouse that never sit down and ponder the true consequences; they fuzzily just think we'll still be the happy, jolly US of A, with better restaurants. First of all, a lot of the emigration from Central America certainly IS because of gang violence/corrupt governance there, but I think the majority of it is because they have massive population growth when the countries are largely based on subsistence agrculture with no more viable land available. The Catholic Church in its historical quest for maximum peons has of course banned birth control and abortion in those countries. We are therefore their blowoff valve so they can continue having four or five kids that they then can't afford to feed and educate. Second, really look at what will happen if we actually open up; Central America and much of Mexico will absolutely empty out, and Africa will be right behind. We presently are looking at about a million people coming in a year. How can you possibly not think that wouldn't go to four or five million a year? Explain why we wouldn't end up with a population of close to a billion by 2100. We are already running out of water all over the West, and by 2050 with global warming, people are going to have to start relocating from the coasts. According to a recent survey, it's claimed we've already lost a large share of the topsoil from midwest farmland (and you can clearly see that just driving around). In otherwords we are already degrading this country at an unsustainable rate without adding another half billion people. I've been in Mumbai, and I still have nightmares about it. I want our streams to run clear, our birds and other animals to have a place to live, our children to have a good education and a good future. If people are clear-eyed about the consequences of open borders, if they think the only important thing is to be the crowded, leaking lifeboat for an over-breeding world, then that's probably morally admirable. But I think 99% of open borders folks have lazy jelly for brains and aren't really taking responsibility for their beliefs. You can't have it both ways; you instead need to look very carefully at the irreversible consequences of your actions and muse about the future for your country and your offspring.
You clearly are a racist 😉

This is important

Why can’t Guatemala get better?
Is it just an irredeemable shithole or something?

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
This is important

They traveled thru Mexico on their way to the US. Would they die in Mexico, too?

Why can’t Guatemala get better?
Is it just an irredeemable shithole or something?
I don't get why that's never the answer - to work to improve their own country, rather than fleeing. Things will NEVER get better there if the people who don't like it just leave. And of course those governments love it, because it's fewer people (esp fewer unhappy people) they have to worry about.

I don't get why that's never the answer - to work to improve their own country, rather than fleeing. Things will NEVER get better there if the people who don't like it just leave. And of course those governments love it, because it's fewer people (esp fewer unhappy people) they have to worry about.
If they are allowed to flee their dung heap.....so also will all those issues making it a dung heap.

And it isn't hard to see what will happen to the new host of these parasites.

If they are allowed to flee their dung heap.....so also will all those issues making it a dung heap.

And it isn't hard to see what will happen to the new host of these parasites.
They're still people, and I don't think most are parasites - just desperate for a decent life for their family. I don't blame them for that. I just think they should make their country a better reflection of what they want, rather than rely on us to absorb more and more of them.

That's where I think organizations like World Bank / IMF should be doing more: identifying the countries where there's no quality and life, with everyone trying to leave, and investing in the things that would make real changes (while minimizing the graft/misuse).

They're still people, and I don't think most are parasites - just desperate for a decent life for their family. I don't blame them for that. I just think they should make their country a better reflection of what they want, rather than rely on us to absorb more and more of them.

That's where I think organizations like World Bank / IMF should be doing more: identifying the countries where there's no quality and life, with everyone trying to leave, and investing in the things that would make real changes (while minimizing the graft/misuse).

The US could take positive steps like ending the war on drugs that fosters corruptions in Central and South America.
Not tacitly, overtly and covertly supporting coups south of the border would be another good step.

Reactions: dirtypool
I dare someone to come up with something more simplistic and childish than this post.

What’s the pathway? The Trump administration made asylum all but unachievable. People fleeing violence can’t simply wait.
Why don't you ask the 20+ million naturalized citizens that did it the right way. You can also ask them how they feel about these folks getting for free what they had to work their asses off for.

So you're saying that someone fleeing from violence in Guatemala couldn't find somewhere safe during that 2300 mile journey to our southern border? If you believe that you're really gullible. But to each their own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT