ADVERTISEMENT

10 Reasons...

hawkaeg80

HR MVP
Dec 28, 2014
Cedar Rapids
I got this from a Facebook post. It seems as though it should read "10 Reasons to LOVE Iowa Wrestling". I can think of a couple of other reasons. How about you?

10 Reasons to Like Iowa Wrestling

10) A 70 square foot mat

9) S.I. 16th rated dynasty

8) 23 national championships in the last 40 years

7) 15, 955

6) The Iowa style

5) TWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOO

4) Your best crowd last year was when Iowa came to wrestling

3) Kurdelmeier to Gable to Zalesky to Brands

2) Our radio analyst can tech fall yours

1) Your head coach wrestled at Iowa

I got this from a Facebook post. It seems as though it should read "10 Reasons to LOVE Iowa Wrestling". I can think of a couple of other reasons. How about you?

10 Reasons to Like Iowa Wrestling

10) A 70 square foot mat

9) S.I. 16th rated dynasty

8) 23 national championships in the last 40 years

7) 15, 955

6) The Iowa style

5) TWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOO

4) Your best crowd last year was when Iowa came to wrestling

3) Kurdelmeier to Gable to Zalesky to Brands

2) Our radio analyst can tech fall yours

To clarify, it was a 70 foot square mat, not 70 square feet (which would more OSU style).

You are correct sir. I should have known better. That was my mistake not the person who posted on Facebook.
Kind of funny because I took a friend to his first Hawkeye wrestling (um yeah) meet and he was asking me about the size of the mat. I told him the story of the 70 foot square mat. He couldn't believe it. He couldn't believe that there are no real rules concerning mat size.

Pretty sure that list was put on a t-shirt. There was talk last year of doing so.

Vallholl, weren't you involved in that?

Reactions: Vallholl
Pretty sure that list was put on a t-shirt. There was talk last year of doing so.

Vallholl, weren't you involved in that?
Yes, I was.

The list was created on this board in Jan. 2013 (I had to look through my email). Ironside printed it up. I have two.

It started with me asking Ironside to make "Its okay, we hate you too" T-shirts. But when Ironside asked U of I, it was frowned upon (fun haters) by the ath. dept. So, he suggested we could come up with reasons to "like" Iowa wrestling. It seemed lame at the time, but the Board kept throwing up new additions.

My favorite is #3 b/c my former neighbor, Gary Kurdelmeier's name is on the shirt. Ironside had friends who read this board and they liked and commented to him about #2. When I asked Ironside his favorite, w/o skipping a beat, he said #10.

Since this board could use a good distraction, here are a few of the early versions I found in my hotmail account. I pasted them into separate posts so you can "like" your favorites.

"Iowa Wrestling, It's okay, we hate you too"

Back: Reasons to hate Iowa Wrestling.
10) No dodgeball
9) Sports Illustrated's 16th ranked Sports Dynasty
8) 23 National Championships in the last 40 years.
7) 15,955
6) The Iowa Style
5) Your best crowd last year was when Iowa came to wrestle
4) The Brands Brothers
3) Our radio analyst can tech fall yours.
2) Twwwwwwwooooooooooooo

Reactions: sstark46
FRONT: Iowa Wrestling
BACK:Reasons to Like Iowa Wrestling.

10) A.C. Slater almost wrestled here
9) Sports Illustrated's 16th ranked Sports Dynasty
8) 23 National Championships in the last 40 years.
7) 15,955
6) The Iowa Style
5) Your best crowd last year was when Iowa came to wrestle
4) Kurdelmeier to Gable to Zalesky to Brands
3) Our radio analyst can tech fall yours.
2) Twwwwwwwooooooooooooo

FRONT: YOU HATE IOWA WRESTLING
BACK: BECAUSE YOUR COACH BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD.

Yes, I was.

The list was created on this board in Jan. 2013 (I had to look through my email). Ironside printed it up. I have two.

It started with me asking Ironside to make "Its okay, we hate you too" T-shirts. But when Ironside asked U of I, it was frowned upon (fun haters) by the ath. dept. So, he suggested we could come up with reasons to "like" Iowa wrestling. It seemed lame at the time, but the Board kept throwing up new additions.

My favorite is #3 b/c my former neighbor, Gary Kurdelmeier's name is on the shirt. Ironside had friends who read this board and they liked and commented to him about #2. When I asked Ironside his favorite, w/o skipping a beat, he said #10.
Wow, time flies. Can't believe that was 3 years ago!

Reactions: Vallholl
I would buy any version of those shirts but would LOVE to wear the Iowa Wrestling, "It's OK we HATE you too" version to the NCCAA Finals.

One of my favorite memories was taking my son nationals in 2009. We had seats on the floor mat level. At the start Back in Black starts pumping through the Arena. Goosebumps and chills as the crowd roars. On the Jumbotron they show a little kid decked out in all Iowa Gear holding a sign that said something like #1 Iowa Hawks. The arena broke out in the loudest Boo's that I have witnessed in person. That shirt would have been great on that day and any day for an Iowa wrestling Dual or Tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT