ADVERTISEMENT

11/30 Update - Cybertruck Delivery Event (Link)

the funky design doesn’t bother me. i could be wrong but one reason might be that the vehicle has all straight panels that are probably a lot easier to manufacture and hopefully lower cost to consumer

ron-swanson-parks-and-rec.gif

He’s talking about software. Sourcing tires, building and setting body panels, frame construction, and interior aren’t software. Tesla is great at software, but pretty lousy at fit and finish.

EVs have ~8X more microchips per vehicle than an ICE vehicle. Software is huge for EVs, I think you are underestimating the complexity of making a quality EV. Tesla not only does their own software in house. They also design the microchips and the computer board. Which other auto manufacturer designs their own microchips? Can you see the competitive advantage in being able to do so?

EVs have ~8X more microchips per vehicle than an ICE vehicle. Software is huge for EVs, I think you are underestimating the complexity of making a quality EV. Tesla not only does their own software in house. They also design the microchips and the computer board. Which other auto manufacturer designs their own microchips? Can you see the competitive advantage in being able to do so?
Toyota does/did because they didn’t like buying a “black box” from suppliers. Up until 2019 they designed and manufactured MCUs and other chips themselves. Have offloaded most of that work to Denso, which they partially own, in order to consolidate effort and improve development efficiency.

Toyota does/did because they didn’t like buying a “black box” from suppliers. Up until 2019 they designed and manufactured MCUs and other chips themselves. Have offloaded most of that work to Denso, which they partially own, in order to consolidate effort and improve development efficiency.

Interesting, didn’t know that.

I already see Rivian pickups around Iowa City.

One of my school bus kids' father took delivery of the SUV this spring. Got a good look at it up close before school ended in June...very impressive. From what I understand they're about 90% "same parts" overall versus the truck.

Haven't seen a truck yet, but then again I haven't even seen a Lightning yet in CR. I'm sure there are some, just haven't seen one.

CR seems to be behind IC and DM metros with EV's, but the last couple years it's been like a light switch (no pun intended) got flipped on. I see Teslas everywhere I go in town any more.

Cars are big. There’s not a race to build smaller more efficient chips. Companies like Porsche and Audi will use modular chiplets.

And look at the interior difference on Porsche’s EV.
2021-porsche-taycan-interior.png

Gorgeous. Just too many screen buttons for my liking. To each his own.
There is only a few buttons/knobs and they are on the steering wheel. Everything else is touch-sensitive displays. On a similar note, the BMW i7 looks ridiculous…backseats included. Wish the I-series weren’t sharing chassis/platforms though.

There is only a few buttons/knobs and they are on the steering wheel. Everything else is touch-sensitive displays. On a similar note, the BMW i-7 looks ridiculous…backseats included.

Well yeah thats what I meant.

What’s with the NAV over on the passenger side? is it big enough to read or is it audio turn by turn instructions for the driver? Just picking nits. gorgeous interior all the same.

Still on Step 1?

Cybertruck timeline.

1. Nobody will like the design.
2. Ok - they like it, but won’t order it.
3. They ordered, but Tesla won’t make it.
4. It won’t scale <— 𝘠𝘖𝘜 𝘈𝘙𝘌 𝘏𝘌𝘙𝘌
5. They made some, but production low.
6. Ok. They made loads, but panel gaps.
7. 300k a year is below forecast.
8. Best selling truck? Pfft. Trucks are not the biggest category.
Uh...people actually bought that thing? I'm still at number 1 and there's no way in hell you're getting me off of it without a complete redesign. Even if he paid me to have one of those trucks I'd still be at number 1.

Oh, I'd take the truck if he paid me to do it, but I wouldn't like the way it looks.

Is that the cybertruck? Redesigned it already?

tesla-cybertruck-prototype-at-cyber-rodeo-disappoints-with-misaligned-panels-185956_1.jpg

20230717-Tesla-Cybertruck-Hero-Image.jpg

64b849668a4e660019e37e00

Very awkward.

How many years have they been producing cars, and we are still talking about it?

Meh, every Cybertruck we have seen is prototype or very early production. SN 1. They are still tuning the lines and the processes. Even Elon said once not to buy Tesla vehicles during a ramp as there will be more imperfections while they dial in the process. Can you name a few other instances of automaker CEOs being this honest and transparent?

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
Meh, every Cybertruck we have seen is prototype or very early production. SN 1. They are still tuning the lines and the processes. Even Elon said once not to buy Tesla vehicles during a ramp as there will be more imperfections while they dial in the process. Can you name a few other instances of automaker CEOs being this honest and transparent?
ROFL!

Went from “this is awkward,” to ‘don’t buy early production.’ As honest and transparent Elon? 😂. This the guy still saying the cybertruck is an exoskeleton design? It’s unibody, bruv. It’s a Honda Ridgeline.

So you can’t? Cool.
You missed the point, which isn’t surprising. I provided an example of him being neither transparent nor honest. Is there a CEO in the auto industry you find to be any less honest/transparent than Elon? What are your metrics used? How many of those CEOs buy in and spread misinformation/conspiracy theories publicly? You want a name(s)? How about Mary Barra or Alan Mulally.

Last edited:
ROFL!

Went from “this is awkward,” to ‘don’t buy early production.’ As honest and transparent Elon? 😂. This the guy still saying the cybertruck is an exoskeleton design? It’s unibody, bruv. It’s a Honda Ridgeline.

The road to a production Cybertruck has been bumpy. Almost as bumpy and uneven as the first Cybertrucks coming out of the Austin Gigafactory, which have reportedly been so bad that they prompted Elon Musk to send an urgent email to Tesla employees. In the message, Musk demanded greater precision in the production process of the EV pickup, with Musk going on to reference the famously tight tolerances of Lego blocks and soda cans to inspire his workers to build better Cybertrucks. It goes without saying that the time to ask for “sub 10 micron accuracy” from your own company, let alone the suppliers building parts for the thing would be several years ago, before the car was “headed for production.” But we’re all learning as we go in this life.

But a better Cybertruck would only be possible through a complete redesign, according to Fast Company, which cites car designer and the Autopian contributor Adrian Clarke. The issues come down to the impossibly flat body panels of the Cybertruck. Given the design of the EV, small imperfections inherent in the production process are all the more clear

Reactions: LBoogie28

The road to a production Cybertruck has been bumpy. Almost as bumpy and uneven as the first Cybertrucks coming out of the Austin Gigafactory, which have reportedly been so bad that they prompted Elon Musk to send an urgent email to Tesla employees. In the message, Musk demanded greater precision in the production process of the EV pickup, with Musk going on to reference the famously tight tolerances of Lego blocks and soda cans to inspire his workers to build better Cybertrucks. It goes without saying that the time to ask for “sub 10 micron accuracy” from your own company, let alone the suppliers building parts for the thing would be several years ago, before the car was “headed for production.” But we’re all learning as we go in this life.

But a better Cybertruck would only be possible through a complete redesign, according to Fast Company, which cites car designer and the Autopian contributor Adrian Clarke. The issues come down to the impossibly flat body panels of the Cybertruck. Given the design of the EV, small imperfections inherent in the production process are all the more clear
It's all part of the plan!!!!!!11!!!

Reactions: GOHOX69
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT