ADVERTISEMENT

24Hawkeye7

All-Conference
Jul 20, 2015
I think we all agree that the staff is actively searching for a quick upgrade at 133 until a recruit can fill the void.

I am not sure if any of the 141 pounders can make the cut, Duggan maybe? But anyone except for Murin is a marginal upgrade at best.

I apologize if it has been covered but are there rumors about transfers circulating yet?

Possibilities(?):
Rico Montoya, Northern Colorado?
Lantry, Buffalo?
Cam Sykora, North Dakota State?
Anthony Tutolo, Kent State?

He came into the tournament with a losing record. Would be a good addition if he can make 133 but I can’t imagine he would get much scholarship money.

Obviously all speculation; but coming in like he would, he would he be eligible immediately right? As a Junior?

He went 18-19 at 141 this year......I'm hopeful we can do better.

I didn't realize he AA'd. My bad. That would be a good pickup from a talent standpoint, knowing nothing about how the kid would fit otherwise. It would be great to have something work out on the transfer front that would help immediately.

It’s not like M* can pick up the phone and start cold calling wrestlers with other teams (or emailing, texting, etc). These types of things have to be initiated by the wrestler or his handlers except in cases like EMU (or Boise State previously).

Has Glory signed?

I think Iowa should wait for the Wisconsin job gets filled before it gets too excited about EMU's Perry - if they are. According to Flowrestling's reporting, several head coaches are (likely) to be considered for the Wisconsin head coaching job, including SDSU's Bono, Wyoming's Branch, and NIU's Schwab. "Typically" programs and new head coaches grant releases for wrestlers recruited by a prior coach. See: ISU. Though, as we saw when Brands left VT for Iowa, they might not grant a release to go to the old coach's new school.

That being the case, it might be useful to see what happens with the Wisconsin hire. If, say, Wyoming's Branch is named their new coach, Wyoming's 133 R-Fr. Montorie Bridges might become available - who'd be a far better option than Perry. There don't appear to be attractive 133 options at NIU or SDSU (Gross can't come unless he graduates this year, which seems unlikely), but NIU's 174 R-So. Taylor Lujan might become available and would be better than what we have currently at the weight.

Sperry had a great tournament at 41 if he could cut to 33 great give him some time in the room and maybe his tournament run can be his new norm. I was looking at their roster anyone know much about Jake Spiess he's got some nice high school accolades and is listed at 133/141 hes coming off a medical redshirt. Sucks for EMU hopefully they can save the program but looks like whats done is done.

Maybe Renteria will leave Nebraska
FYI Lantry Buffalo teched Perry last year at 133

Grad transfer?

It's tough to know which wrestlers are going to graduate within 4 years. Some people sound like they have inside info, but I'm always dubious of that. But you can always just look at who's a RS-Jr. and say they could "possibly" transfer. The top choice among RS-Juniors (while having no idea whether he's in line to graduate this spring or summer) would be Lehigh's Scott Parker who finished 7th this year and 8th last year at 133. Lehigh's a good program, so you'd question whether he'd be interested in transferring.

Even if you graduate in 4 years you still need to enter a grad program thats not offered at your previous school or get a release.

Reactions: andegre
Can Gross come back?

Nice little story about coming home to help win the team title. He doesn’t need a scholly as he can just wrestle for the hwc next year and pay off his loan.
Been out all week, so it's probably been covered, however with Bono being talked about for Wisc could be the inertia needed for the return, but depends on the tenor of the departure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT