ADVERTISEMENT

152 Pound of Sugar and 132 Pounds of Flour a Year

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
According to a medical video I'm watching that's apparently what the average American consumes per year.

Are you doing your share?

What are the sugar and flour sources you can't live without? I mean if you are going to eat sugar and flour, you don't want to waste your allotment on crap.

I am on the under for both.
I try to be, but fall off the wagon more than I should. Every once in a while the craving for some really good dessert becomes too hard to resist.

Jessica's Banana Nut bread from Costco is the craving I'm trying to resist at the moment.

Fortunately for me, they're out of stock.

350_Banana_Nut_Tea.png

Reactions: Moral
That sugar number has to be really skewed by pop drinkers that drink down 10 pops a day. Or Energy drinks or any other sugary drinks.

I'm way under both of those. Probably by half on the sugar, no idea on the flour but we eat very little bread anymore and I know there's flour in some things that I am unaware of or forget about.

Reactions: goldmom
I don't eat a lot of sweets (except for around Christmas), and I don't drink sodas, but I'm afraid that sugar probably shows up in things I do eat - like pizza crust, pasta sauce, BBQ sauce, etc. And I do like to have honey on biscuits, which would count as sugar. I drink mostly sugar-free drinks, but I have the occasional sweet tea.

I think I'm still "under" but probably not as far under as I'd prefer to be.

According to a medical video I'm watching that's apparently what the average American consumes per year.

Are you doing your share?

What are the sugar and flour sources you can't live without? I mean if you are going to eat sugar and flour, you don't want to waste your allotment on crap.
I probably ate my share just with the holiday cookies 🍪 I made.

That sugar number has to be really skewed by pop drinkers that drink down 10 pops a day. Or Energy drinks or any other sugary drinks.

I'm way under both of those. Probably by half on the sugar, no idea on the flour but we eat very little bread anymore and I know there's flour in some things that I am unaware of or forget about.
While I'm sure you are right about the soda drinkers, it's also true that many things have sugar (or more sugar) than we think.

It's gets particularly confusing when people focus on "added sugar." If it has 12g of added sugar, that isn't necessarily the total sugar. Total sugar will appear in the panel, too, but we are trained to look at added sugar. And lots of people only look at added sugar.

I've also learned recently that some ingredients that aren't listed as sugar actually are, or are so rapidly converted to sugar that they might as well be. Maltodextrin, for example - which is in everything these days. It can spike your blood sugar worse than sugar, but isn't counted in the total or added sugar tallies on the product label.

While I'm sure you are right about the soda drinkers, it's also true that many things have sugar (or more sugar) than we think.

It's gets particularly confusing when people focus on "added sugar." If it has 12g of added sugar, that isn't necessarily the total sugar. Total sugar will appear in the panel, too, but we are trained to look at added sugar. And lots of people only look at added sugar.

I've also learned recently that some ingredients that aren't listed as sugar actually are, or are so rapidly converted to sugar that they might as well be. Maltodextrin, for example - which is in everything these days. It can spike your blood sugar worse than sugar, but isn't counted in the total or added sugar tallies on the product label.
Sugar is in everything in this country. You think you are avoiding it, but probably only reducing obvious things. Wish FDA and/or Congress did far more to limit this to help with the obesity issues in our country.

You can cut back on sugar or take metformin.

Metformin has been linked to improved cognition and reduced dementia in old age.

Probably best to keep eating sugar so I can qualify for metformin.

I’m probably tripling that sugar intake. I eat a lot of jelly/preserves and you don’t realize how much sugar is in there until you make your own

I drink water almost exclusively (I say while I'm drinking a sweet-tea) and I try not to eat much sweets, but I will kill some halloween candy when it's around.
I'd guess I do more than my part for flour but under for sugar.

Way under. I avoid sugar as much as possible, as well as white carbs, especially starches. If I eat bread, it's typically dark rye. No cake.

that’s about 1/2 lb sugar and 1/2 lb flour ie 8oz each. 1cup flour looks to be realistic and tbh doesn’t feel like an excessive amount, is it? but 1 cup of sugar per day is crazy high indeed

I love sweets but I don’t drink soda and I’ve cut way back on carbs, but it wouldn’t surprise me to eat my way through that much sugar in a year.

that’s about 1/2 lb sugar and 1/2 lb flour ie 8oz each. 1cup flour looks to be realistic and tbh doesn’t feel like an excessive amount, is it? but 1 cup of sugar per day is crazy high indeed
If you look at just a few labels, you'll be astonished at how much sugar is added to our food. It's crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT