ADVERTISEMENT

Biden calls on snack companies to stop shrinkflation ahead of Super Bowl

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
New YorkCNN —
President Joe Biden doesn’t want corporate greed to eat into your Super Bowl snack spread.

In a video posted Sunday to X, formerly known as Twitter, the president called on companies to put a stop to “shrinkflation.”

“When buying snacks for the game, you might have noticed one thing: Sports drink bottles are smaller, a bag of chips has fewer chips, but they’re still charging you just as much,” he said.

Shrinkflation is a widespread practice where businesses offer less product without reducing the price accordingly. It’s a common cost-saving tactic during periods of inflationary pressure. While inflation has slowed down to a three-year low, prices are still punishingly high for many Americans, who have found themselves getting consistently less for their buck when shopping for essentials.

Biden has struggled to get his economic message to break through ahead of the 2024 election. Economic indicators are telling a positive story, but many Americans feel that the president’s policy has made economic conditions in the country worse. A majority of Americans (55%) said in a recent CNN poll that they believe Biden’s policies have worsened economic conditions in the country, while just 26% believe his policies have improved conditions.

“There is no denying that shrinkflation is real and that it is having a measurable impact on family budgets,” concluded a December report published by Democratic Sen. Bob Casey of Pennsylvania.

The report found common household and grocery items noticeably decreased in size between January 2019 and October 2023, while unit prices rose more than 20%. For example, a pack of Double-Stuffed Oreos now weigh 6% less, Gatorade bottles hold 12% less liquid, and a Walmart’s Great Value Ultra Strong paper towel roll has 28% fewer sheets, according to the report.

“The American public is tired of being played for suckers,” said Biden in the video. He called on companies “to put a stop to this,” but did not mention any actionable steps his administration would be taking.

Biden also didn’t address the companies by name, although the video panned over snacks like Doritos, Wheat Thins and Gatorade, which were mentioned in Casey’s report.

You can really easily tell how many products have shrunk in size when you try to buy to follow recipes. You can't find the amount in a single package that the recipe calls for. Also, I was at Target Saturday (living the dream) and overheard a mom telling her kids that for something at the school she had signed up to provide half gallons of ice cream. They started looking and all the containers were 1.5 quarts. The mom used her google machine to confirm there are 4 quarts in a gallon, so she decided now she was going to have to buy 1.5 qt containers so there would be enough.

Biden inflation has been caused by adding $2T in excess spending, and bad energy policies. That's the same answer as it was 6 months ago, a year ago, and 2 years ago.

Its the same false answer over and over. What extra spending happened? Ukraine perhaps. Medicare goes along on its own

The US is producing more oil than it ever has, and even then OPEC controls oil prices.

You are willfully obtuse on this.

My dad was telling me about a place called Maxwells in Iowa City. Late 70s. They had 8oz Budweiser cans for $.25 a can. Great size and a great price!
Fantastic bar. Great live music. Had Friday matinee that started at 3:00 PM. Fun way to start the weekend. Oh to be 18 again.

Reactions: fredjr82
Biden inflation has been caused by adding $2T in excess spending, and bad energy policies. That's the same answer as it was 6 months ago, a year ago, and 2 years ago.
Bad energy policies? We’re at peak oil production and energy prices are the lowest they’ve been in years.

Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon. Biden and Trump both supported enormous amounts of helicopter money.

Doritos are just flat over priced. I am not paying $5.00 for tortilla chips. Plenty of alternatives.

The 20 oz pop bottle is the biggest rip off going. But, guilty as charged at times.
Local QT charges $2.50 for these and I have bought my share. I actually look to see which stores have soda on special now. I rarely drank soda until I quit alcohol a little over a year ago. Still cheaper when compared to that at least.

New YorkCNN —
President Joe Biden doesn’t want corporate greed to eat into your Super Bowl snack spread.

In a video posted Sunday to X, formerly known as Twitter, the president called on companies to put a stop to “shrinkflation.”

“When buying snacks for the game, you might have noticed one thing: Sports drink bottles are smaller, a bag of chips has fewer chips, but they’re still charging you just as much,” he said.

Shrinkflation is a widespread practice where businesses offer less product without reducing the price accordingly. It’s a common cost-saving tactic during periods of inflationary pressure. While inflation has slowed down to a three-year low, prices are still punishingly high for many Americans, who have found themselves getting consistently less for their buck when shopping for essentials.

Biden has struggled to get his economic message to break through ahead of the 2024 election. Economic indicators are telling a positive story, but many Americans feel that the president’s policy has made economic conditions in the country worse. A majority of Americans (55%) said in a recent CNN poll that they believe Biden’s policies have worsened economic conditions in the country, while just 26% believe his policies have improved conditions.

“There is no denying that shrinkflation is real and that it is having a measurable impact on family budgets,” concluded a December report published by Democratic Sen. Bob Casey of Pennsylvania.

The report found common household and grocery items noticeably decreased in size between January 2019 and October 2023, while unit prices rose more than 20%. For example, a pack of Double-Stuffed Oreos now weigh 6% less, Gatorade bottles hold 12% less liquid, and a Walmart’s Great Value Ultra Strong paper towel roll has 28% fewer sheets, according to the report.

“The American public is tired of being played for suckers,” said Biden in the video. He called on companies “to put a stop to this,” but did not mention any actionable steps his administration would be taking.

Biden also didn’t address the companies by name, although the video panned over snacks like Doritos, Wheat Thins and Gatorade, which were mentioned in Casey’s report.

GOP wanted to do a $600 Billion Covid Bill in early 2021 but Biden said no so the Bill was $1.9 Trillion.

The Trumpers and Dems think Budget Deficits don't matter. The old school Republicans know that is BS and that is why they never get elected. People don't want to hear that.

The key is CUT SPENDING & RAISE TAXES to balance the budget and pay down the debt.

If people don't have $, then they don't spend $ and prices go down. It is that fricking simple but I bet less than 15% of the people get that.

Sen Warren wanted to increase benefits for Social Security (SS) which is as fiscally reckless as Trump wanting to cut SS taxes. SS taxes need to go up and SS benefits need to go down. Everything else is BS.

Last edited:
I don’t know what that means. All I know is candy bars are shrinking in size.
Soylent Green Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

Local QT charges $2.50 for these and I have bought my share. I actually look to see which stores have soda on special now. I rarely drank soda until I quit alcohol a little over a year ago. Still cheaper when compared to that at least.

The profit on those must be insane. I worked at a convenience store back in the day and I saw what a box/bag of syrup cost and how many fountain pops they would get. It was something like $10 for the box and it made like 100 32 oz pops at $.99 a piece. I can only imagine what their margins are at the economies of scale they can produce at.

I have no one to blame but myself if I bitch about the cost of those. I know better. lol.

To be more accurate you should also include all the global factors that played a role.

I’ll hang up and listen.

You are fvcking stupid.....yes, it's Joe, not corporate greed

Please don't breed
I can understand blaming some of the inflation woes on government spending. I don’t get 1) not also being honest and including the global factors that played a role, as well as 2) there is SOME level of price-gouging going on. It doesn’t compute that prices soared because of the supply chain issues, and everything else from the pandemic; and then reasonably expect that prices would ultimately return to something close to pre-pandemic prices.

There’s also no justifying the smaller packages/container sizes for higher prices.

Because he doesn't understand that even with reduced inflation prices are still increasing,... Joe has only recently become senile, he has never been smart.
Huh? Decreased inflation prices are increasing?

Really? How did that spending create inflation? What energy policies caused inflation? You don't get to make a claim and assume it's true. Inflation was global. Did Biden's policies cause it?

Some of you are too stupid to insult.

Reactions: nelly02
Really? How did that spending create inflation? What energy policies caused inflation? You don't get to make a claim and assume it's true. Inflation was global. Did Biden's policies cause it?

Some of you are too stupid to insult.
The dollar is the world standard, so our policies to impact the rest of the world. On top of that, Europe followed our lead on direct stimulus.

The dollar is the world standard, so our policies to impact the rest of the world. On top of that, Europe followed our lead on direct stimulus.
Like I said before. Some of you are too stupid to insult. There is zero chance any of what you said is true. The dollar isn't the standard and hasn't been for a long time. Besides what policies are you referring to? Your side keeps saying they exist but no one can list them out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT