ADVERTISEMENT

157 - 165 - 174 in 2024/2025

PK seems like he'd want to fight for the spot and think he can win the spot. I'd imagine it'd be pretty close between him and Caliendo now. When they wrestled off earlier, he was coming off injury no? PK is a different wrestler now than at the start of the season.
By the time they wrestled at Soldier Salute, PK had been back for over a month. I think it was mentioned here that that was another wrestle-off.

Forgot to mention that Caleb has looked small and soft at 149, so wonder if he could get disciplined enough to make 141 next year??
You don't need him down at 141. Block should be a better option, unless you are saying Rathjen should go down to give Block a spot at 149 if he's going to struggle to make 141.

Reactions: cheaptilt42
Griffith is at 174 this year, Amine at 165.

Please tell me Amine is also gone. Watching him is so painful (especially after watching Lewan).
Amine has another year. It will be his 6th year in the program (1 RS, 1 free year, and 4 counting years) if he comes back. It just seems like he's been there for 15 years because between him and all of his cousins and brothers, there's been at least one Amine there for at least that long and they all look the same.

If Block has grown out of 141 we have a lot of work to do in the light weights. I just know in July of 2023 Ryder blew through Fargo at 138 pounds and looked great. He is thin, so I am not doubting he has grown. We need him at 141.

Not sure what to think about Ayala and his weight. He seems like an average sized 125, but some times going up a class is in their best interest. Drake would have to get stronger.

If Block has grown out of 141 we have a lot of work to do in the light weights. I just know in July of 2023 Ryder blew through Fargo at 138 pounds and looked great. He is thin, so I am not doubting he has grown. We need him at 141.

Not sure what to think about Ayala and his weight. He seems like an average sized 125, but some times going up a class is in their best interest. Drake would have to get stronger.
I doubt Block grew taller, but kids grow tall first then fill out, especially when you are built like slender man as he is, so at his height, he could easily put on weight without growing any more.

Ayala looks pretty sucked down this year. I think he would benefit from moving up, but who is going to go at 125 next year? You don't want a long term portal replacement because DeLuca is coming the following year, and he is a stud, so can they get a one and done portal guy?

It's going to be fascinating to see how Iowa's lineup shakes out next year. You have a ton of great pieces (even assuming AJ and Anthony are jettisoned), but they don't really fit together very well.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I doubt Block grew taller, but kids grow tall first then fill out, especially when you are built like slender man as he is, so at his height, he could easily put on weight without growing any more.

Ayala looks pretty sucked down this year. I think he would benefit from moving up, but who is going to go at 125 next year? You don't want a long term portal replacement because DeLuca is coming the following year, and he is a stud, so can they get a one and done portal guy?

It's going to be fascinating to see how Iowa's lineup shakes out next year. You have a ton of great pieces (even assuming AJ and Anthony are jettisoned), but they don't really fit together very well.
Deluca said he wants to redshirt, so transfer with 2 years left would be ideal.

I believe the top half of the lineup next season will look like this -
157 - Caliendo
165 - Kennedy
174 - Arnold
184 - Angelo Ferrari (if he has put on enough size by next season)
197 - Glazier
285 - Kueter
My thoughts as well. If Nelson comes back I think he goes 184. Angelo wrestles his 5 matches and then RS.

I hate that the season is almost over and that we have to wait another 8 months! I'm not getting an f'ing younger...can we start running NCAAs in March and September, kind of like the summer NBA league? :)

Could Starocci's injury or how he finishes at NCAA's have an influence on whether he comes back to PSU or not?

What if he has to default out of tourney? What if he makes it to semi's only to reaggravate it and MF's to 8th place? What if he wins it all for his 4th title? Do any of those things have an effect on his decision?
Way to many what if’s.

157 - Caliendo
165 - Kennedy
174 - Arnold
197 - Glazier
285 - Kueter

i think this is correct. maybe riggins at 184 if ferrari redshirts.

people might crucify me for this but i think riggins could be a really good 184 next year. he has the frame to grow into the weight and he has shown a great ability to get to the legs. he can make a glazier type leap.

157 - Caliendo
165 - Kennedy
174 - Arnold
197 - Glazier
285 - Kueter
To add to this, 157 Cobe would probably be top 10 next year if we needed him to step in.
184 - Brands would be AA too, and it seems like he's coming back now.
Regardless, these weights would all be really good with whoever starts.
149 - Rathjen top 12, or if Block beats him out, he's likely higher.
133/141 - Seems like we need a transfer at one or both of these.

Reactions: Sandor45 and eb05

people might crucify me for this but i think riggins could be a really good 184 next year. he has the frame to grow into the weight and he has shown a great ability to get to the legs. he can make a glazier type leap.
eric cartman cross GIF by South Park

It's a weird situation since he is a Hawkeye to the core and his brother just committed, but he's also an AA caliber wrestler who may be blocked from the starting lineup for the rest of his eligibility (and Caliendo and Gabe are obviously elite wrestlers as well, so no knock against PK for that). I would think he would want to take a shot somewhere else rather than back up for 2 years, but who knows.
A 100% healthy Kennedy just might be better than caliendo next year too. I like what caliendo has done this year but I don't think .essenbrink is doing to Kennedy what he has to caliendo 2x this year.

Reactions: Sandor45
A 100% healthy Kennedy just might be better than caliendo next year too. I like what caliendo has done this year but I don't think .essenbrink is doing to Kennedy what he has to caliendo 2x this year.
Sorry, Mrs. Kennedy, I know you love your son, but come on! ;)

I am a big fan of PK too, but MM would put on a takedown clinic on PK. PK is lost if he can't get to the ties. He is also a bit flat-footed and not near fast enough to wrestle MM from space. MM would be a TERRIBLE match up for PK.

I am by no means a competent evaluator of talent, but can Joey Cruz not be the guy? Pretty highly rated as a HS recruit.

125 Ayala, no strength to move up. AA
133 and 141 seem to be unknown holes next year. 149 rathjen round of 12?
157 maybe a Ferrari, maybe Cali but the cut is unknown
165 Cali or Kennedy AA
174 Gabe assuming AA
184 freshman Ferrari, 6th year brands, unknown cut for glazier?
197 Glazier or?
Hwt Hill 1st half, BK 2nd, assume BK AA

Lots of unproven, non AA guys people expect to step in and do so. If round of 12, top 10 is the bar than the hawks are gonna continue to struggle to bring home trophies. These are all nice guys but if the goal is winning now the transfer portal seems to be needed at more than 1 weight.

125 Ayala
133 Transfer
141 Block
157 Ferrari
165 Kennedy
174 Arnold
184 Glazier
197 Ferrari
HWT Kueter

- Caliendo SOL ?

• Haha
Reactions: BGon4ND

Size is his main issue imo. If he can put the weight on then I’m fine with him competing for that spot again. He has the heart you want and isn’t afraid to fire off shots. If when he knows he’s gonna get stuck under bigger guys hips. Gotta like that attitude.

Sorry, Mrs. Kennedy, I know you love your son, but come on! ;)

I am a big fan of PK too, but MM would put on a takedown clinic on PK. PK is lost if he can't get to the ties. He is also a bit flat-footed and not near fast enough to wrestle MM from space. MM would be a TERRIBLE match up for PK.
Agree, I think part of his success at 174 is the guys not being quite as fast and agile, and he has energy on full feed. He is not even fast for 174 against the top guys.

Last edited:
149? And I don’t see any way Cali isn’t in the lineup
If cali can make 157, then 149 Ferrari/Rathjen. If Ferrari returns and beats Rathjen, then he may be able to cut to 141 to challenge there. 149 would be max cut for Ferrari with 157 being ideal, but not beating Cali. If Cali can’t make the cut then Kennedy SOL unless he beats Gabe, which I don’t see, again the athletic and size problem. Minnesota doesn’t have much coming back at 165/174, could see him finishing his career back home. He sat 2 years. Behind bull, can’t see him wanting to sit his last 2 years

I think our line up next year will be as followed. I'm going to assume Nelson is back, AJ and Anthony Ferrari are not on board(I'll believe it when I see them in a Hawkeye singlet actually competing). I'm also going to assume neither PK or Cali make 157.
125 Ayala
133 Schriever/Petersen
141 Block/Petersen
149 Rathjen/voinovich
157 Cobe Seibrecht
165 Caliendo/Kennedy
174 Arnold/Kennedy
184 Brands(Angelo RS)
197 Glazier
285 Hill/Kueter for postseason
Team 2nd place

To add to this, 157 Cobe would probably be top 10 next year if we needed him to step in.
184 - Brands would be AA too, and it seems like he's coming back now.
Regardless, these weights would all be really good with whoever starts.
149 - Rathjen top 12, or if Block beats him out, he's likely higher.
133/141 - Seems like we need a transfer at one or both of these.
Man, I truly don't see what some of you see in Cobe. I don't think he will ever be top 10 but that is my opinion.

Anyone know anything about Nasir Bailey from Little Rock? #5 at 133 and a Freshman. I don't see Drake having the horse power to move up to 133.
Little Rock seems to be an ascending program (in a pretty big way). It doesn't seem likely their guys are going to look to jump ship, but he's worth pursuing immediately if he does enter the portal. He's very quick and athletic (and fun to watch). He'd be a better get than Nagao was last year if he's available. He wrestles Nagao in round 2 this year, so you'll get a look at how the two compare next week.

Reactions: Sandor45
I know we have beat this dead horse to death, but during the Big 10 165 final match they mentioned that Mesenbrink and Haines are thinking about switching weight classes next year.
I think it was general consensus that MM was bigger or just as big as Caliendo at 165. If MM can drop to 157, is their a chance Caliendo can?? I know we have talked about Kennedy dropping and that seems to be a hard NO by everyone on this site.

I think for Iowa to become competitive next year, not catching PSU but back to comfortable 2nd place, they need to have Kennedy and Arnold at their best weights.

125 Ayala (top 3 NCAA)
133 Block (hurt all year, but high recruit?)
141 ??? Transfer?
149 Rathjen (8 - 6th NCAA)
157 Caliendo/Kennedy (4th)
165 Kennedy/Caliendo (4th)
174 Arnold (Top 3rd)
184 Brands??Transfer?? Josh Barr PSU?? (Top 3)
197 Glazier (6 - 4th)
HWT Kueter (6-4th)

I know when Iowa did their body certifications Caliendo started off at 165, which means he weighed in at 165 or lower when they did their body fat testing.
Now that may just mean he doesn't carry a lot of extra fat or he knew he didn't need to get to 157 because we had Franek.
Franek was 174 when Iowa did his certification, which means he was heavier than Caliendo, he weighed between 165 & 174.
Kennedy was at 174 like Franek so he was a small 174, which we all know.
Arnold was 197, which means he weighed in between 184 and 197.
Just FYI Brands was 184.
Riggins 184
Glazier 197

Remember this is just what they weighed in at. We are not privy to their body fat %, only the trainer, coach, and athlete know that info, but it does tell us that when Caliendo did his body fat, fully hydrated, he weighed less than 165. Could he possibly make 157??

Maybe he just didn't go there because we have Franek and next year he is willing to go down with Franek gone?

Anyone have any inside info?
I don’t understand why people continue to overlook Hill at Hwt. I have a difficult time believing that if Kueter was better than Hill this year that Brands wouldn’t have wrestled him. Hill is going to fight for his position and considering he is a RS freshman, he has had a very impressive year.

I don’t understand why people continue to overlook Hill at Hwt. I have a difficult time believing that if Kueter was better than Hill this year that Brands wouldn’t have wrestled him. Hill is going to fight for his position and considering he is a RS freshman, he has had a very impressive year.
Make no mistake, Kueter is better than Hill. It is simply that the gap isn't that wide and the team placement doesn't benefit enough to pull the trigger...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT