ADVERTISEMENT

157 - 165 - 174 in 2024/2025

CatCoach

HR All-State
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I know we have beat this dead horse to death, but during the Big 10 165 final match they mentioned that Mesenbrink and Haines are thinking about switching weight classes next year.
I think it was general consensus that MM was bigger or just as big as Caliendo at 165. If MM can drop to 157, is their a chance Caliendo can?? I know we have talked about Kennedy dropping and that seems to be a hard NO by everyone on this site.

I think for Iowa to become competitive next year, not catching PSU but back to comfortable 2nd place, they need to have Kennedy and Arnold at their best weights.

125 Ayala (top 3 NCAA)
133 Block (hurt all year, but high recruit?)
141 ??? Transfer?
149 Rathjen (8 - 6th NCAA)
157 Caliendo/Kennedy (4th)
165 Kennedy/Caliendo (4th)
174 Arnold (Top 3rd)
184 Brands??Transfer?? Josh Barr PSU?? (Top 3)
197 Glazier (6 - 4th)
HWT Kueter (6-4th)

I know when Iowa did their body certifications Caliendo started off at 165, which means he weighed in at 165 or lower when they did their body fat testing.
Now that may just mean he doesn't carry a lot of extra fat or he knew he didn't need to get to 157 because we had Franek.
Franek was 174 when Iowa did his certification, which means he was heavier than Caliendo, he weighed between 165 & 174.
Kennedy was at 174 like Franek so he was a small 174, which we all know.
Arnold was 197, which means he weighed in between 184 and 197.
Just FYI Brands was 184.
Riggins 184
Glazier 197

Remember this is just what they weighed in at. We are not privy to their body fat %, only the trainer, coach, and athlete know that info, but it does tell us that when Caliendo did his body fat, fully hydrated, he weighed less than 165. Could he possibly make 157??

Maybe he just didn't go there because we have Franek and next year he is willing to go down with Franek gone?

Anyone have any inside info?

Josh Barr? Why would he not be 184 at PSU? There is an opening for him with them next year.

I doubt either Caliendo or Kennedy will be comfortable at 157. It's a real problem since Arnold has said repeatedly that 174 is his weight and he is a legitimate title contender at that weight, so you don't want to force him up, so one of Caliendo or Kennedy will have to suck down, sit, or portal. Caliendo beat out PK for the spot this year, so if he does that again, he will be the 165 and Gabe 174 (and Angelo is purportedly a 184 long term if not next year), which will force PK to really suck down to have a spot at Iowa. I think there is a decent chance he portals rather than either sucking or sitting. He's an AA caliber wrestler and all of the guys in front of him have as much or more eligibility left. I doubt he's going to want to be a room guy.

Need to get ALL our best guys on the mat. IOWA always seems to have an issue with this? Seems like we have guys cutting to fill a spot much more often then bulking up?

I think Ayala moving to 133 and maybe Block to 141 MIGHT be a plan??? As the OP said, 'we do not have the inside info" that would allow us to see more clearly if this makes any sense?

125 seems rather weak to me and a stud freshman could come in and do damage or a possible transfer seems like a easier path? The IDEA though is to HAVE A F-IN PLAN!!!! <THIS is one reason why they get paid good money!

Still kind of sort of hoping that these 2 MENTAL CASE Ferraris can some how help the team??? AJ is the best 197 in the country and can't seem to get his act together sadly.

A top part of the line up with Caliendo, Kennedy, Arnold, Brands, AJ , and Kueter would be enough to compete with/possible over take F*** st, IF you could get 125-149 sorted out also?

FULLY understanding that Caliendo to 157 might be a stretch, we have not heard 100% about Brands coming back? AJ is a long shot right now, and Kueter plays Football!!!!

"Someone get me a doctor!!!!"

Reactions: el dub
Yeah, the Josh Barr thing is really random. He’s 14-0 this year and the plan with Truax has gone well: help Truax get to his goal and give Barr a year to prep.

Need to get ALL our best guys on the mat. IOWA always seems to have an issue with this? Seems like we have guys cutting to fill a spot much more often then bulking up?

I think Ayala moving to 133 and maybe Block to 141 MIGHT be a plan??? As the OP said, 'we do not have the inside info" that would allow us to see more clearly if this makes any sense?

125 seems rather weak to me and a stud freshman could come in and do damage or a possible transfer seems like a easier path? The IDEA though is to HAVE A F-IN PLAN!!!! <THIS is one reason why they get paid good money!

Still kind of sort of hoping that these 2 MENTAL CASE Ferraris can some how help the team??? AJ is the best 197 in the country and can't seem to get his act together sadly.

A top part of the line up with Caliendo, Kennedy, Arnold, Brands, AJ , and Kueter would be enough to compete with/possible over take F*** st, IF you could get 125-149 sorted out also?

FULLY understanding that Caliendo to 157 might be a stretch, we have not heard 100% about Brands coming back? AJ is a long shot right now, and Kueter plays Football!!!!

"Someone get me a doctor!!!!"
Glazier > AJ

Josh Barr? Why would he not be 184 at PSU? There is an opening for him with them next year.

I doubt either Caliendo or Kennedy will be comfortable at 157. It's a real problem since Arnold has said repeatedly that 174 is his weight and he is a legitimate title contender at that weight, so you don't want to force him up, so one of Caliendo or Kennedy will have to suck down, sit, or portal. Caliendo beat out PK for the spot this year, so if he does that again, he will be the 165 and Gabe 174 (and Angelo is purportedly a 184 long term if not next year), which will force PK to really suck down to have a spot at Iowa. I think there is a decent chance he portals rather than either sucking or sitting. He's an AA caliber wrestler and all of the guys in front of him have as much or more eligibility left. I doubt he's going to want to be a room guy.
I maybe wrong but I thought it was stated that Truax was coming back for one more year at 184 for PSU.

They have Barraclough at 174. Barraclough lost to Griffith 2 -1 and Mesenbrink 8 - 5. He would probably take 5th at NCAA's this year.

184 is Barr's natural weight. They also have Lucas Cochran at 197?

Wishful thinking on my part, maybe with Barr.

What about freshman Whiting from MU? He is behind sophomore Hawks. He has been ranked as high as 7th this year and with a possible 4 seniors leaving 184 he could be a possibility? Only problem is he is a AWA kid and not sure how he feels about Iowa. Does he want to sit at MU for 2 more years? or come to Iowa and start?

I have no inside info just throwing out potential plans, but like IRONBIRD says, we need to have a plan.

Reactions: el dub and IRONBIRD
I maybe wrong but I thought it was stated that Truax was coming back for one more year at 184 for PSU.

They have Barraclough at 174. Barraclough lost to Griffith 2 -1 and Mesenbrink 8 - 5. He would probably take 5th at NCAA's this year.

184 is Barr's natural weight. They also have Lucas Cochran at 197?

Wishful thinking on my part, maybe with Barr.

What about freshman Whiting from MU? He is behind sophomore Hawks. He has been ranked as high as 7th this year and with a possible 4 seniors leaving 184 he could be a possibility? Only problem is he is a AWA kid and not sure how he feels about Iowa. Does he want to sit at MU for 2 more years? or come to Iowa and start?

I have no inside info just throwing out potential plans, but like IRONBIRD says, we need to have a plan.
Truax is out of eligibility (this is his 5th/Covid extra year). Assuming Starocci is not coming back for a 5th, Penn State's lineup should look like this next year:

157/165: Haines/Mesenbrink in some order
174: Facundo
184: Barr
197: Cochran / Mirasola (likely RS)
HWT: Kerk

RS: Ryder, Cunningham, Healey, Mirasola (x2)
Class of 25: Henckel, Duke

Barraclough will probably be in the portal given the level he jumped this year if you want him. He's not useful as a 184, but he is certified at 157 (and typically weighed in under 165 this season even when wrestling 174), so he could fill that hole if he can hold that weight for next year. He is a legit AA at 157 if he can make that weight. I assume he'll probably prefer a place where he can go 165 and not have a tough cut, but you never know.

Truax is out of eligibility (this is his 5th/Covid extra year). Assuming Starocci is not coming back for a 5th, Penn State's lineup should look like this next year:

Barraclough will probably be in the portal given the level he jumped this year if you want him. He's not useful as a 184, but he is certified at 157 (and typically weighed in under 165 this season even when wrestling 174), so he could fill that hole if he can hold that weight for next year. He is a legit AA at 157 if he can make that weight. I assume he'll probably prefer a place where he can go 165 and not have a tough cut, but you never know.
What was Facundo's injury this year?

I guess anything could happen, but I would be very surprised to see Kennedy transfer, regardless of where he is on the depth chart.

No way Kerk has another year

I guess anything could happen, but I would be very surprised to see Kennedy transfer, regardless of where he is on the depth chart.
It's a weird situation since he is a Hawkeye to the core and his brother just committed, but he's also an AA caliber wrestler who may be blocked from the starting lineup for the rest of his eligibility (and Caliendo and Gabe are obviously elite wrestlers as well, so no knock against PK for that). I would think he would want to take a shot somewhere else rather than back up for 2 years, but who knows.

Reactions: Hawkgma
So IOWA is losing:
133 Teske
141 Woods
157 Franek
I had heard Glazier was coming back for one more year.
If we can get someone to 157 that plugs a major hole and if Block can be AA at 141/133 that fills that spot. Seems like Ferrari to 184 is unlikely now, so we have a hole there.

PSU is losing:
141 Bartlett?? He is a SR but does he have another year?
174 Star
184 Truax
197 Brooks
HWT Kerk?? They said he does have a year left.
If ALL 5 of these guys decide to move on, that is a lot of points to make up.

Michigan is losing:
125 DeAugustino
149 Gomez
157 Lewan
165 Griffith
197 Striggow
HWT Davidson
Can they find 4 transfers to fill in like last year??

NEBBY is losing:
157 Robb
Could they be in the mix next year?? Seems like they always fizzle out.

PSU is losing:
141 Bartlett?? He is a SR but does he have another year?
174 Star
184 Truax
197 Brooks
HWT Kerk?? They said he does have a year left.
If ALL 5 of these guys decide to move on, that is a lot of points to make up.
Bartlett, Starocci, and Kerkvliet all have another year should they choose to use it.

I can't wait for the days when there is no such thing as a free covid year again. Between covid, medical redshirt, redshirt, and an olympic redshirt it is ridiculous how difficult it is to keep track of eligibility anymore. Can you qualify for two olympic redshirts? If so you could wrestle in college for 8 years possibly? Stupid

I can't wait for the days when there is no such thing as a free covid year again. Between covid, medical redshirt, redshirt, and an olympic redshirt it is ridiculous how difficult it is to keep track of eligibility anymore. Can you qualify for two olympic redshirts? If so you could wrestle in college for 8 years possibly? Stupid
Mr. Daton Fix says hi! (26 years old yesterday)

Fix could have done this. Could have oly shirted this year.

No. All that typing was a waste. It is plainly obvious no one here knows.

Pretty sure that this like how not even the gunmen know who killed Kennedy; not even the wrestlers know the answers you're looking for.
I guess you'd rather we fight about religion or politics rather than wrestling what if's? For F sake that is what a message board is all about and you come out and crap on someone trying to simply start a discussion.

No inside info, but I'm guessing Ryder Block would have to cut a leg off to make 133 for a season.
Every time we discuss the lineups for the next couple of years, Block's name gets mentioned.

Is he a legit starter or Iowa has no one better right now?

No one from WSR has ever set the world on fire at Iowa.

Every time we discuss the lineups for the next couple of years, Block's name gets mentioned.

Is he a legit starter or Iowa has no one better right now?

No one from WSR has ever set the world on fire at Iowa.
We don't really know because he hasn't competed since Fargo due to injury. He was a decent recruit who had a good match with Kasak, who's having a nice year. That's our best measuring stick.

It's a weird situation since he is a Hawkeye to the core and his brother just committed, but he's also an AA caliber wrestler who may be blocked from the starting lineup for the rest of his eligibility (and Caliendo and Gabe are obviously elite wrestlers as well, so no knock against PK for that). I would think he would want to take a shot somewhere else rather than back up for 2 years, but who knows.

PK seems like he'd want to fight for the spot and think he can win the spot. I'd imagine it'd be pretty close between him and Caliendo now. When they wrestled off earlier, he was coming off injury no? PK is a different wrestler now than at the start of the season.

I believe the top half of the lineup next season will look like this -
157 - Caliendo
165 - Kennedy
174 - Arnold
184 - Angelo Ferrari (if he has put on enough size by next season)
197 - Glazier
285 - Kueter

I guess you'd rather we fight about religion or politics rather than wrestling what if's? For F sake that is what a message board is all about and you come out and crap on someone trying to simply start a discussion.
Could Starocci's injury or how he finishes at NCAA's have an influence on whether he comes back to PSU or not?

What if he has to default out of tourney? What if he makes it to semi's only to reaggravate it and MF's to 8th place? What if he wins it all for his 4th title? Do any of those things have an effect on his decision?

Could Starocci's injury or how he finishes at NCAA's have an influence on whether he comes back to PSU or not?

What if he has to default out of tourney? What if he makes it to semi's only to reaggravate it and MF's to 8th place? What if he wins it all for his 4th title? Do any of those things have an effect on his decision?

I'll tell you the future. He'll win NCAAs and come back to PSU next year. Bet accordingly.

I wasn't crapping on him in the least. I was crapping on the rest of us. We have little or no inside info here.

I had heard Glazier was coming back for one more year.

Neither him nor Brands participated in senior day. That should tell us all we need to know.

Reactions: goldenanimal
I wasn't crapping on him in the least. I was crapping on the rest of us. We have little or no inside info here.

Neither him nor Brands participated in senior day. That should tell us all we need to know.
Fair enough - but realistically most everyone on this Board has very little actual knowledge about what is or what may happen in the future. Unless of course someone here is on the staff and is moronic enough to share plans. What else is there to talk about other than speculation? Iowa wrestling is quickly becoming the 85 Bears where the past is all there is.

It's a 50/50 on Nelson wrestling next season.
If he does wrestle, it will be at 184, which would allow Angelo to redshirt, put on some size and still get some varsity matches.
I left him out of my lineup for 157-285 because I haven't heard anything concrete that he will wrestle for sure next season.

I believe the top half of the lineup next season will look like this -
157 - Caliendo
165 - Kennedy
174 - Arnold
184 - Angelo Ferrari (if he has put on enough size by next season)
197 - Glazier
285 - Kueter
That would be a tough top half. I do feel that Caliendo has to be close to 157. He came in under 165 this year. He needs to be a hydrated 157.9 to be sure.

If that happens and MM drops to 157, I feel like Caliendo could make the finals and then 2026 move up to 165 after Patrick leaves.

Kennedy at 165 would have Hamiti and MM/Haynes, word is O'Toole is heading to 174. I think Patrick could be top 3.

174 Arnold would have O'Toole, Star??,

184 Angelo? Keckeisen, Munoz? Pinto?

197 really clears out but I still see Glazier as a 5 - 8th, which I feel is good for him.

HWT clears out some. Kerk, Schultz, & Feldman - I'm not so sure Ben with 20 more lbs. on could not roll around with Feldman. I do think Feldman has improved a lot this year. Bastida, Hendrickson, Elam & Davidson gone.

Optimistically -

157 - 3rd
165 - 3rd
174 - 3rd
184 - ?? 5 - 8th potential??
197 - 5 - 8th
HWT - 4th

Glazier > AJ
I’m afraid not. But the good news is Zach weighed 197 on full feed and hydration before the season, he is a blown up natural 184, so if by some miracle AJ was on the team, Zach could be very good 184, allowing Angel to take the redshirt he needs to physically mature. If Anthony get on the team, he could go 157, or maybe cut to 149 and challenge Caleb again if Caliendo cuts to 157. Drake is not that strong at 125, but I think he could be a stronger 133, because he could eat and lift to put some muscle on that long skinny frame. Look at Mendez. Bumped up
From 133, and has manhandled many good 141, including woods. He may be the strongest guy at 141 this year.

I’m afraid not. But the good news is Zach weighed 197 on full feed and hydration before the season, he is a blown up natural 184, so if by some miracle AJ was on the team, Zach could be very good 184, allowing Angel to take the redshirt he needs to physically mature. If Anthony get on the team, he could go 157, or maybe cut to 149 and challenge Caleb again if Caliendo cuts to 157. Drake is not that strong at 125, but I think he could be a stronger 133, because he could eat and lift to put some muscle on that long skinny frame. Look at Mendez. Bumped up
From 133, and has manhandled many good 141, including woods. He may be the strongest guy at 141 this year.
Forgot to mention that Caleb has looked small and soft at 149, so wonder if he could get disciplined enough to make 141 next year??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT