ADVERTISEMENT

#2 Iowa at #13 Wisconsin PBP

Fans sure. That would not be the vibe coming from my college coach after loosing a dual. Coaches and athletes want to win.

Certain Wisconsin wrestlers might be feeling okay based on their performance but it’s always subdued when the team looses. Yes, people say to be selfish as a wrestler (care about your results) but its extremely hard to do given all the time you spend together.

I’m sure the mentality is gonna be different for everyone but for me personally it was hard for me to enjoy personal success if the team didn’t also experience success. If my coach was happy to lose a dual because we pushed a higher ranked team to the brink, after 5 of our 10 wrestlers lost, I would not be wrestling for him. If hes content with that level of success then I would question if he can improve me to the level I’d want to be. Just my opinion.
This dual will be among the season highlights for Wisconsin, which is struggling under Bono in year 5. He will use this as an example of the "improvement" Wisconsin is making under his leadership.

The article is already up on the Wisconsin site with the headline "Wisconsin Takes Iowa to the Wire." The photo is apparently the best one they could find of Dow "pinning" Assad, which is to say Assad's shoulder is six inches off the mat.

This dual will be among the season highlights for Wisconsin, which is struggling under Bono in year 5. He will use this as an example of the "improvement" Wisconsin is making under his leadership.

The article is already up on the Wisconsin site with the headline "Wisconsin Takes Iowa to the Wire." The photo is apparently the best one they could find of Dow "pinning" Assad, which is to say Assad's shoulder is six inches off the mat.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I’m glad I didn’t wrestle for Bono. That’s just one of many reasons.

Last edited:

Cass’ hand was slipping on the mat at one point. Generally don’t see that during duals. Something seemed fishy.

Close loss to Iowa = win. They aren't the only program that believes this, even when it comes against 2 backups, lol.

Reactions: Gobblin
Sure did look that way with Hilger. I thought he looked really sweaty getting out in the 2nd right away but hadnt worked up a sweat. And I seen Cass look at him and the ref with a questioning look on his face when Hilger slipped out for one.
I’ve seen frying vats at restaurants with less oil than Hilger had on. Kudos to Coach for having the guts to call it out.

Last edited:
Close loss to Iowa = win. They aren't the only program that believes this, even when it comes against 2 backups, lol.
You’re not wrong. We’ve had plenty of backups get partied on after losing a close decision, with a heavy favorite at that weight on the bench. Oh well.

I had a good look from my spot. Assad had kept off his back but seemed to try and roll to the other side. As he did , both shoulders hit the mat at the same time for a fraction of a second

Believe that’s a pin

Disappointed on the dual as it’s my only one, but it’s a dual.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Sure did look that way with Hilger. I thought he looked really sweaty getting out in the 2nd right away but hadnt worked up a sweat. And I seen Cass look at him and the ref with a questioning look on his face when Hilger slipped out for one.
Maybe it was snot?

Reactions: Edgar Wade
Couldn't the Iowa coaches call attention to the overly oiled Hilger and have him penalized and/or made to dry off?
You know when you spend most of your time inventing bugaboos for every hiccup it makes you wonder whether you know much about how to motivate people for tough moments

College basketball is an awful product. Pro basketball is amazing. Not as.good as wrestling (to me; ratings say otherwise). The college game is ugly, disjointed, and less athletic.
love the comedy…or is basketball just too complicated for you.

Reactions: Hawkfan019
Just got around to watching this dual late.

Even to my untrained eye I could see Cass slipping and sliding all over the damn mat. Hands were sliding on grease, feet were sliding Great job by him fighting through that BS.

Saw Cass rub his arms and say something to the ref right when the match was over. Ref just shrugged his shoulders.

Like every other sport, I say....

EFFFF. WISCONSIN

that match is exactly why PK is not a contender at 165 and exactly what i've said all year. he looked totally lost trying to finish. and 165 is full of guys who can scramble just like Hamiti. that match was "close," but Hamiti was never in any danger of losing.
We’ll see…it’s his first year in the seat. Let’s see what happens in March.

For all the banter, excepting Assad getting caught, Iowa wrestled very well on the road. The guys that should have won, did so convincingly. Lee, Teske, Woods and Cass were never remotely in any danger of losing. Cobe bear a ranked opponent and is starting to look like a R12-R16 type guy. Considering he is the “hole” in the lineup, that is something to be quite happy about.

After the above 5, Murin and Kennedy wrestled very tough, showing a lot of effort. They simply lost to better, considerably more savvy wrestlers. With that said, Murin probably can’t adjust or improve to beat Gomez in his last season, but Kennedy is still raw enough, that he can learn from his first feel for Hamiti and I expect him to have some wins over him before his career is over.

Finally, the 2 youngins wrestled admirably, but a freshman backup at 165, wrestling 174 isn’t going to win, even if the opponent isn’t good and Franklin wrestled hard against a ranked opponent. Not even close to bonus in either match was a win.

Assad is the ONLY reason this dual was close. If you know wrestling and actually watched, Dow is actually the one that deserves a ton of credit. He FORCED that position and Assad tried to bail out multiple times and Dow masterfully readjusted several times. Assad wasn’t “hanging” he just didn’t do the full fledged fleeing/backing out of bounds, because he is taught not to. That was the only way he was getting out of that tie. Again, way more credit needs to go to Dow than is happening on this board. It sucks that Assad got caught there, but Dow earned that in every way possible…

Post it because I literally have no idea what you're talking about.
I’ve seen him recently say Tomasello was unathletic and a bad wrestler. Others as well but I can’t remember all of them. But several comments similar to that.

Was very surprised.
You never did substantiate your allegations of Spencer being derogatory. You were asked to several times. In turn you gave smart aleck, incredulous responses to those who challenged your claims.

For all the banter, excepting Assad getting caught, Iowa wrestled very well on the road. The guys that should have won, did so convincingly. Lee, Teske, Woods and Cass were never remotely in any danger of losing. Cobe bear a ranked opponent and is starting to look like a R12-R16 type guy. Considering he is the “hole” in the lineup, that is something to be quite happy about.

After the above 5, Murin and Kennedy wrestled very tough, showing a lot of effort. They simply lost to better, considerably more savvy wrestlers. With that said, Murin probably can’t adjust or improve to beat Gomez in his last season, but Kennedy is still raw enough, that he can learn from his first feel for Hamiti and I expect him to have some wins over him before his career is over.

Finally, the 2 youngins wrestled admirably, but a freshman backup at 165, wrestling 174 isn’t going to win, even if the opponent isn’t good and Franklin wrestled hard against a ranked opponent. Not even close to bonus in either match was a win.

Assad is the ONLY reason this dual was close. If you know wrestling and actually watched, Dow is actually the one that deserves a ton of credit. He FORCED that position and Assad tried to bail out multiple times and Dow masterfully readjusted several times. Assad wasn’t “hanging” he just didn’t do the full fledged fleeing/backing out of bounds, because he is taught not to. That was the only way he was getting out of that tie. Again, way more credit needs to go to Dow than is happening on this board. It sucks that Assad got caught there, but Dow earned that in every way possible…

This board is no place for a well thought, reasonable opinion. Take it somewhere else pal!! 😂

We’ll see…it’s his first year in the seat. Let’s see what happens in March.
I'm excited to see what he can do. Hopefully he can finish as high or higher than Marinelli did, unfortunately he couldn't get the job done on the big stage.

Is gladly take a 6-8 finish from Kennedy but 65 is stacked. He will likely see a guy like Hamiti in the blood round.

I had a good look from my spot. Assad had kept off his back but seemed to try and roll to the other side. As he did , both shoulders hit the mat at the same time for a fraction of a second

Believe that’s a pin

Disappointed on the dual as it’s my only one, but it’s a dual.
Touchfalls only get called in FS or by homer refs. I don't deny it happened, but it was definitely fast.

ADVERTISEMENT