ADVERTISEMENT

#20 Hilson on special teams

pistachio1999

HR Legend
Nov 29, 2021
Just happened to HAVE to listen to Dolph and Eddie for about 45 minutes in the car during game and it was when #20 hit the dude that fair caught. Eddie had some very critical comments for #20 and said he has been focusing on him and said was doing dumb stuff before this week too. Almost had another penalty right after this one.

Then when I was listening, Dolph would sometimes refer to LeShon Williams as LeShon Daniels. He has only been gone like 5 or 6 years!

And then the epitome of Dolph:

He called a series like this:

Williams gain of 6 on 1st down.

Williams gain of 2 or 3 on 2nd down.

Then seconds later he says Iowa is at 3rd and 3.

I am like WTF it should be 3rd and 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope it's freakin Dolph math!

Last edited:
In Hilson's defense, he was off to the side and the returner caught the ball going sideways when they collided. Hilson still needs to be cognizant bc that's a huge penalty, but it's not like he ran straight into the returner- the returner more or less ran into him.

The returner ran 5 yards and at least 3 steps after catching the ball. The defender caught him, not knocked him to the ground.
It probably should of been offsetting since the contact was more of 5 yard variety and running after fair catch.
This. In his defense that was a crap call, AND it was the WRONG call regardless. The ref called him for kick catch interference on the field, which it most certainly was NOT. As you stated the return man ran several steps to his right WITH the ball, so he certainly did not interfere with the catch. I guess he certainly could have called him for the contact after a fair catch, but he basically just held him up.

In Hilson's defense, he was off to the side and the returner caught the ball going sideways when they collided. Hilson still needs to be cognizant bc that's a huge penalty, but it's not like he ran straight into the returner- the returner more or less ran into him.
I agree. It was a penalty, but I don't think either side would have been upset if it wasn't called.

I agree. It was a penalty, but I don't think either side would have been upset if it wasn't called.
Wisconsin sure as heck would have been upset as they had already gotten called once for doing the same thing without contacting Cooper.

I thought it looked like Hilson was engaged with a blocker when the fair catch arm wave happened, and only managed to disengage right before the ball arrived. The returner caught it on the run, and if you're Hilson it sure looks like he is returning the kick.

Correct call, but I don't really blame Hilson. Bad combination of events for Iowa.

Shake it off and keep fighting and win 15-6. I'll take it.

He didn't look good on Saturday. But I have faith that Lavar Woods will iron out the wrinkles and get it fixed.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Wisconsin sure as heck would have been upset as they had already gotten called once for doing the same thing without contacting Cooper.
I guess. CDJ was standing in place catching it when they fouled. Their returner was running across the field to fair catch it and ran into Hilner about 5-10 yards after he caught it. A little apples to oranges.

Reactions: DougFHawkeye
I guess. CDJ was standing in place catching it when they fouled. Their returner was running across the field to fair catch it and ran into Hilner about 5-10 yards after he caught it. A little apples to oranges.
Exactly. This play was NOTHING like the one they called against Wisconsin. The badger was almost in CDJ's jersey. Hilson was several yards away, and thats as clear as day. The ref, made the wrong call, penalty or not, it wasn't catch interference which is what he called. It was a make up call for the home team.

Wasn't that a penalty because he was within a yard and directly in front of him? Never mind, I see Millah covered it.

I would ask if it was signaled a fair catch, when did the play end? When he caught it, right? So if he was running after the fair catch was complete, it is reasonable for the defender to stop his progress less the officials did not recognize the fair catch signal nor blow a whistle. Bad call, no penalty unless whistle blew play dead.

Just happened to HAVE to listen to Dolph and Eddie for about 45 minutes in the car during game and it was when #20 hit the dude that fair caught. Eddie had some very critical comments for #20 and said he has been focusing on him and said was doing dumb stuff before this week too. Almost had another penalty right after this one.

Then when I was listening, Dolph would sometimes refer to LeShon Williams as LeShon Daniels. He has only been gone like 5 or 6 years!

I am like WTF it should be 3rd and 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope it's freakin Dolph math!
If one is truly following the game on the radio, that is a very frustrating listen. There are times he take a play off, also, and you are like, “what the hell just happened?”

Hilson is fine. He is playing tough, aggressive special teams football. He got caught in a position that could just as easily been a "no call". Ref delivered the wrong penalty...which was a stupid call. Keep playing tough, Hilson!

Dolph just picked up on the Jim Zabel method of calling a game.

Reactions: pistachio1999
If one is truly following the game on the radio, that is a very frustrating listen. There are times he take a play off, also, and you are like, “what the hell just happened?”
A huge hole for so and so. Then find it out he really only gained like 2 yards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT