ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Softball Season

Avery Guy is full academic qualifier. This week DMACC beat D1 UNO behind Jacobsen. Former DMACC JC All American RHP transferred in this year to join Iowa.

Iowa has very strong relationships with DMACC going back to Coach Blevins years.

Reactions: SynergyHawk12
Avery Guy is a full academic qualifier. DMACC defeated Div 1 UNO this week behind Jacobsen.
Former DMACC JC All American RHP transferred into Iowa for this year. Iowa has an excellent relationship with DMACC going back to Coach Blevins years.

I know she could transfer but it would take an offer from Iowa and I don't think that has happened. In my opinion Looper should have been recruiting her from HS. She has always played well and is a multi sport athlete. Plus her Dad was a Hawk.

Was anyone at the game last night verses Kirkwood? I saw we won 5-3 but there was not many details on twitter. I was curious if anyone the freshman or transfers are playing well.

Go Hawks

Doocy pitched well. I think she threw a no hitter through 5. She left with either a blister or a sore arm. It was difficult to tell. Wood hit a HR. She will be good at the plate if she can stay healthy. Good in CF, too.

Yoways came in to relieve. She gave up 5 hits in 1 inning.

Kirkwood was mostly freshman and they were a mess in the field. Freshman who started from Bettendorf was probably their most talented player. She played 3rd after finishing pitching. Hits the ball hard. She was probably the only player not overpowered by Doocy.

Thompson and Rozier didn't play. Cantu didn't play for the 1st 7 innings (I left). Libby and Ibarra played. Only 1 mental mistake in the field. Throw to 3rd that allowed a runner to advance. They do seem better coached as they don't make as many mental mistakes.

The team still doesn't hit the ball hard consistently. Good teams will be able to overpower them.

If I had to guess, I'd say 3 or 4 more victories over last year. I hope Doocy can stay healthy and keep the other team from scoring.

Doocy pitched well. I think she threw a no hitter through 5. She left with either a blister or a sore arm. It was difficult to tell. Wood hit a HR. She will be good at the plate if she can stay healthy. Good in CF, too.

Yoways came in to relieve. She gave up 5 hits in 1 inning.

Kirkwood was mostly freshman and they were a mess in the field. Freshman who started from Bettendorf was probably their most talented player. She played 3rd after finishing pitching. Hits the ball hard. She was probably the only player not overpowered by Doocy.

Thompson and Rozier didn't play. Cantu didn't play for the 1st 7 innings (I left). Libby and Ibarra played. Only 1 mental mistake in the field. Throw to 3rd that allowed a runner to advance. They do seem better coached as they don't make as many mental mistakes.

The team still doesn't hit the ball hard consistently. Good teams will be able to overpower them.

If I had to guess, I'd say 3 or 4 more victories over last year. I hope Doocy can stay healthy and keep the other team from scoring.

I was at the game also. Again I was impressed with Boger at the plate - Hopefully, she will make things happen this year.

Yoways did not play/Doocy started then Riding came in.

Wood hit a HR, I think our Power bats in the middle of the Lineup (Wood, Rozier, Cantu) have a chance to make a difference this year.

Looking forward to seeing new players and transfers this weekend.

Hi. Always good to have another voice in this forum.

Thanks for correcting me on the relief pitching.

What specifically impressed you about Bogar at the plate? She looked better against Kirkwood but was completely over matched in the DMACC game. They had a better pitcher with a possible D.1 scholarship waiting for her. I do like her smoothness and laterals in the field.

Where will they fit both Rozier and Cantu in the lineup at the same time? Only one can DP and they still have to get Thompson in the lineup somewhere. Her .400+ on base percentage is something this team drastically needs. Schmeiderer seems set at catcher. Although, that could change. I don't remember seeing Rozier catch. I've seen Cantu catch. Kilian should probably play at 1st or 3rd. Plus, the outfield seems set. Might not have enough room for everybody.

Hi. Always good to have another voice in this forum.

Thanks for correcting me on the relief pitching.

What specifically impressed you about Bogar at the plate? She looked better against Kirkwood but was completely over matched in the DMACC game. They had a better pitcher with a possible D.1 scholarship waiting for her. I do like her smoothness and laterals in the field.

Where will they fit both Rozier and Cantu in the lineup at the same time? Only one can DP and they still have to get Thompson in the lineup somewhere. Her .400+ on base percentage is something this team drastically needs. Schmeiderer seems set at catcher. Although, that could change. I don't remember seeing Rozier catch. I've seen Cantu catch. Kilian should probably play at 1st or 3rd. Plus, the outfield seems set. Might not have enough room for everybody.
So what have the lineups looked like? Apparently, the team has too many players with "incomplete" skill sets as there are seemingly too many players with "starter" prospects but not enough spots to get them in the lineup of a team struggling to play .500 ball. I miss the success of the bygone era!

Hawkeyesports article said Bogar was 3-5 at the plate in the DMACC game.

Hi Yeah I was at the game. Left after the 7th inning. Doocy didn't pitch. I saw Shaw warming up in the bullpen but Ihle came in. She was good, but not great. The runs scored that I saw were earned by UNI but were very tough plays. Riding pitched well as the starter.

UNI probably has the better team. I don't think this was a fluke. Iowa would have tied 0-0 with Doocy pitching.

Team has very little talent at the plate. Schmiederer had 2 hits. Opposing teams will again have little or no fear of them.A senior ran the team out of the inning when they had a chance to pull even. I don't think she knew there was only 1 out. That was definitely Coach Looper's fault.

Upside is the team is better in the field. Bogar will be solid and others are good. Doocy is a very good #1. Thompson has yet to play and she will bring some spark. I think she will probably play 2nd this year. Relief pitching will be better. Last year, they hit 50 points lower than their opponents and you don't win many games doing that. I don't see that changing.

Hawkeyesports article said Bogar was 3-5 at the plate in the DMACC game.

Yeah, I saw that. I left after 7 and the score was 3-1. They scored 3 in the last 2 innings. She definitely could have gotten 2 of her hits in those innings. Before that, She struck out by 3 feet against their good starting pitcher. She did beat out a nubber with eyes for her first hit.

There was a LARGE downturn in pitching talent from DMACC's #1->2->3. Against a good pitcher, she was totally over matched.

She will be an excellent player for Iowa. She's already very good in the field and I can see her potential. I think she can run with the best. She should be the starting SS this year and will be a bright spot for a limited team.

Last year, they hit 50 points lower than their opponents and you don't win many games doing that. I don't see that changing.
Iowa Softball tweeted the starting lineup. Four out of the five best hitters (arguably) didn't start...Thompson, Cantu, Rozier & Deshields. So I'm hopeful there's hope! Several of those upper classmen who started have never been able to hit and hopefully won't see much of the field in the spring.

Cantu only played part of the first game at 1st. Thompson and Rozier haven't played all year. I've never seen DeShields play. Transfer from Marshall?

Kilian had 3 hits.All hard hit balls. Schmiederer had a misplayed deep fly ball fall in for a double. Larissa Libby's daughter, Taylor Libby got a hit.

Iowa State had about 15 hits and Iowa 3 before they got to ISU's 3 string pitcher. ISU also hit about 3 hard hit line drives right at an Iowa player. Couldn't believe they only had 3 runs. Might have left 10 in scoring position. Iowa seems solid in the field. One of their runners fell down running home from 3rd on a hard hit that kept the runner from 2nd from scoring easily. Allie Wood had a great catch on a hard hit ball at the wall. Saved 2 runs. Very impressive.

I think the only place for a newcomer to find play is in LF. Cheyenne Pratt is a returning starter who plays good defense. Can't hit her body weight, though. Otherwise, they are going to have to earn that position and Looper is seldom quick on making such changes.

Thompson will probably be @ 2nd. Kilian has hit surprisingly well and would need to play at 1st or 3rd. They are definitely giving Sarah Kurtz a full try out @ 3rd. She has problems hitting the ball, too.

I think the only place for a newcomer to find play is in LF. Cheyenne Pratt is a returning starter who plays good defense. Can't hit her body weight, though.

Pratt's doesn't look like she's over 275 lbs. :)
Her starting spot is solid. She's our best returning hitter. http://uiowa_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/STATISTICS/softball/2017/2017 Overall Stats.pdf

I hope a newcomer can help out at third. Terrible batting average out of that position the last couple years.

Last edited:
The obvious answer is injuries, and I know teams like to keep injury details close to the vest, but anyone know why so many expected starters played so little this Fall?......Cranker......anyone?

Lea supposedly has a knee issue. She's roommates with Kenzie. No one knows about Cantu. Doocy had an injury to her throwing arm. Might have been a wrist or her hand. I thought it could have even been a blister when they took her out of the game. Erin Riding was injured and unavailable for the last weekend.

Liz Deshields played 1st base this weekend. She was over matched at the plate. Don't know why Kurtz didn't play.

I think we need to start a sunglass fund to buy sunglasses for the players in the field. 2 balls were lost in the sun and neither player had glasses on. Even after the lost balls, they didn't put them on. Cost the team more than a few runs. Both players were seniors.

The team didn't get to hit against NIU's 3rd string pitcher. That's why they didn't score many runs.

Official scorer for Iowa was always their creative self.

Surprises for the fall were the hitting of Kilian and Schmiederer. Kilian hits the ball harder than anyone else on the team. AIAEC. Schmiederer got 6 hits the last few games. She also played RF for the last game Sunday. Taylor Libby caught the 2nd game. She got a hit or 2. Rozier must be injured. Same with Cantu.

Allie Wood was tremendous in CF. Would have even been better if she had sunglasses.

I heard freshman pitcher Lauren Shaw had back surgery and is rehabbing. She did pitch in the bullpen.

We have a bunch of injuries right now. Shame we couldn’t be healthy for the fall but it is what it is. We should be healthy come winter practices though.

We have a bunch of injuries right now. Shame we couldn’t be healthy for the fall but it is what it is. We should be healthy come winter practices though.
Yes, you cannot gather much from the fall games as the coaches are trying to play some younger girls and see what all they got against live pitching and game situations. My Daughters St Cloud St team played Minnesota and it was 1-1 in the 5th but ended up 5-1 loss for My daughters team. Just hanging with them that long was impressive, they even pitched Fiser and that LSU transfer so the pitching was solid. But they played dang near everyone so you really dont know what your gonna get from the teams until the spring season starts. I think Iowa will be improved. But unfortunately still be bottom half of B10.

...Liz Deshields played 1st base this weekend. She was over matched at the plate.

I think we need to start a sunglass fund to buy sunglasses for the players in the field. 2 balls were lost in the sun and neither player had glasses on. Even after the lost balls, they didn't put them on. Cost the team more than a few runs. Both players were seniors...
Agree on Deshields, although there were other awful looking swings from other players. I sometimes wonder if we are coached to take soft, easy swings with the goal of at least making more contact.

SS also lost a ball in the sun in the 2nd NIU game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT