ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Softball Season

Totally Agree Crankermo, i think Bamas kinda the unlucky one cause after Minnesota destroys La Tech they will most likely take down Bama. Pitching is going to be the Key. Bamas tough no doubt but so is the Gophers. After that though I think Florida will handle them. Hoping not so they show the world the Big Ten has contenders too.

If Osario is on her game Minny will have to lay off the rise and grind one out. She's as gd as they come for sure.

Reactions: Drmac22
Checked on Sammi Guyerman's stats for the year at Long Beach. She hit .290 and led the team in hits.

Last edited:
Looks like Katy Taylor and Taylor Makowsky are no longer on the team. Katy will be missed. Even with her .060 average she worked her way into her lineup with her defense and speed. Lots of pressure for Thompson's defense to pick up next year.

Two pretty solid transfers this week - Indiana St.'s #1 pitcher from last year and a Marshall freshman who hit better (.287) than anyone on last year's Iowa team. I like it! Getting quality transfers to fill holes is what quality programs do nowadays.

Last edited:
Two pretty solid transfers this week - Indiana St.'s #1 pitcher from last year and a Marshall freshman who hit better (.287) than anyone last year's Iowa team. I like it! Getting quality transfers to fill holes is what quality programs do nowadays.

Transfer pitcher 4 time Iowa HS All State, won State Championship at Ballard. NJCAA All American, at DMACC, led NJCAA in strikeouts, NFCA Magazine NJCAA Pitcher of the Year, 17 wins for Indiana State

Reactions: Wadukester
The Sycamores had a weird situation, the HC was canned at the end of March (right before the UNI series, which they won) due to things their AD said had been discussed in the off season but for which progress was unsatisfactory. There was only one full time assistant, who was just starting her first year. She had gotten a friend of hers to volunteer coach, and that's how they finished up. I see they have now hired one of Indiana's assistants to take over. But the pitcher looks like a good get for us, under the circumstances.

Reactions: beahawk
The Sycamores had a weird situation, the HC was canned at the end of March (right before the UNI series, which they won) due to things their AD said had been discussed in the off season but for which progress was unsatisfactory. There was only one full time assistant, who was just starting her first year. She had gotten a friend of hers to volunteer coach, and that's how they finished up. I see they have now hired one of Indiana's assistants to take over. But the pitcher looks like a good get for us, under the circumstances.
She have to sit out a year? Or was she released?

Any news on a new assistant coach? Very quiet out there. Middle of recruiting and evaluation season.

I'm guessing that speculation on Looper's contract being unlikely to be renewed is widespread in the SB world, restricting the pool of persons willing to come into our situation. I'd be OK with giving Megan Blank the job for a season.

Lots of young coaches looking to build a resume. Let's build on last year. Maybe Looper can get a short extension. Without the horrible start it would have been a very respectable season.

Well, I won't pretend to read Barta's mind, but he did eventually terminate Dahm and Dingmann. IMHO, Looper's body of work is no better.

Looks like ISU took the hit for Minnesotas Softball coach leaving.
Jamie Trachsel is taking the job at Minn and Ditching ISU. To bad for them too because shes a terrific coach and its a big loss for ISU.

Yep, the Clones were much improved. I was hoping for a dud hire from the Gophers.

Nice fall schedule - I see we're taking on Kirkwood again, that could be interesting.

looks kinda weak on softball coaching experience

looks kinda weak on softball coaching experience
I suspect the feeling is this staff has one more year..and no one else wanted a 1-year gig.

I see Megan Blank isn't coming back next year.

The DMACC game was uneventful. Many of the same questions as recent years. Pitching seems to be covered. Although the transfers didn't pitch. Little or no power in the bats. Kilian hit 2 balls hard. Definitely won't put fear in the eyes of opponents.

Freshman infielders looked smooth. They were over matched at the plate, though. I think they will be fine. Rozier and Thompson didn't play. Thompson had a slight limp when she left the dugout. I like the freshman SS in the field. Where will Thompson play? She needs to be in the lineup.

Outfield will be adequate in the field. I think Monteer got a hit if I remember correctly. She can run.

Overall, they seemed to be better coached than in the past. No mental mistakes that were so easily seen.

2 players that seemed to be, at least, on par talent wise with Iowa for DMACC were the starting pitcher. She could also swing a lefty bat. Also, the SS from CR. Both are talented enough to play.

Yes I agree that Avery Guy could play at Iowa and her Dad Is Willy Guy former Hawkeye WR, so there is a chance she transfers to Iowa after she does her two years at DMACC.. One can only hope. Don't know much about the pitcher. Known Ave and her family for years great family and really great kid!

Soph Molly Jacobsen LHP-First Team All American as a Fr. Heavily recruited by Power Five programs including Big Ten . Taking official visit to Iowa this weekend .

Reactions: Drmac22
Yes I agree that Avery Guy could play at Iowa and her Dad Is Willy Guy former Hawkeye WR, so there is a chance she transfers to Iowa after she does her two years at DMACC.. One can only hope. Don't know much about the pitcher. Known Ave and her family for years great family and really great kid!

I just read that Avery had a 4.0 GPA in high school. She wouldn't have to wait 2 years to transfer as she was a qualifier. Unless she scored in single digits on the ACT, which seems unlikely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT