ADVERTISEMENT

2018 DRAFT CLASS AND FREE AGENTS

Harbinger273

HR Heisman
Feb 17, 2016
Iowa will have several players enter the ranks of the NFL this year. Between the draft and free agent process there could be 8 or more. I think 5-6 get drafted and 2-4 go as free agents.

DRAFTED~ Josh Jackson (1st), James Daniels (3rd), Josey Jewell (3rd), Akrum Wadley (5th), Sean Welsh (5th), Ben Niemann (7th)

UNDRAFTED FREE AGENT~ Boone Myers, James Butler, Nathan Bazata, Matt Vandeberg

Great to have such a large group potentially getting in, representing the premier developmental program in the country.

Iowa will have several players enter the ranks of the NFL this year. Between the draft and free agent process there could be 8 or more. I think 5-6 get drafted and 2-4 go as free agents.

DRAFTED~ Josh Jackson (1st), James Daniels (3rd), Josey Jewell (3rd), Akrum Wadley (5th), Sean Welsh (5th), Ben Niemann (7th)

Great to have such a large group potentially getting in, representing the premier developmental program in the country.
Agree with everything but niemann ain't getting drafted

Tyler Kluver and Bo Bower will be UDFAs. They may not make it to fall camp but they will need bodies for off season workouts.

Agree with about all of this but Wadley and Niemann both jump up one round. Wadley is a playmaker that can run inside, outside and special teams. Niemann can cover and tackle, safety here is not a reach but I think he stays at linebacker. He too will be on special teams.

Do you think he gets moved to safety then because usually safeties cover the TEs?
In some coverages sure, in most they do not. If you want me to list the coverages in which a safety accounts for TE I will do that for you, but it is about a 1/3 of the time, and 1/2 of those coverages the OLB would account for the RB so yeah coverage skills are pretty important.

Great to have such a large group potentially getting in, representing the premier developmental program in the country.[/QUOTE

Ike?

Agree with about all of this but Wadley and Niemann both jump up one round. Wadley is a playmaker that can run inside, outside and special teams. Niemann can cover and tackle, safety here is not a reach but I think he stays at linebacker. He too will be on special teams.
Safety?? LOL

Not sure what to think on Niemann but he should get drafted. Bo just seems like a no go. I mean maybe practice squad but I don't know. I have a feeling inside running wont get Wadley very far in the NFL. Long time starter Bazata seems like he could work his way onto a team.

Not sure what to think on Niemann but he should get drafted. Bo just seems like a no go. I mean maybe practice squad but I don't know. I have a feeling inside running wont get Wadley very far in the NFL. Long time starter Bazata seems like he could work his way onto a team.
Bower would get destroyed on a practice squad. Niemann is not even close to good enough against the run to be drafted

Wadley will not survive running inside the tackles in the league. He should still be able to make some plays in space in limited duty. The level of overall athleticism picks up dramatically in the NFL and will reduce Wadleys margin. Look at the running QB's who dominate in college, and then get in the pro's and they get run down by LB's and DE's. Different level of athlete across the board.

Reactions: Uihawks111
Matt Vandeberg certainly has extensive experience and makes great effort on the ball. Im sure he gets a shot. Seems like the quintessential New England Patriot type receiver. Im unclear on the effect of his two foot injuries. Hope he has a good showing in pro dabs and at team camps.

If Butler is invited to the Combine, I believe he will have a strong enough showing (or at Iowa’s pro day) to be drafted. He had a strong showing at a camp in Dallas the past few days. Several teams with high praise including a couple west coast teams (but you never know).

Reactions: Harbinger273
Here is an interesting list of all 7 rounds of the draft: https://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2018/
Interesting notes:
  • Jackson at number nine to S.F.
  • Jewell at 45 to Green Bay
  • Allen Lazard to MN Vikings at end of 3rd
  • Sean Welsh in the 6th to Oakland
  • Ike Boettger in 7th to Indy
  • Jake Campos in 7th
  • No Piersbacher in any of the rounds(should have gone to Iowa)
  • No Daniels (not sure when this was put together, though JJ is on the list)
  • No spot for Wadley either
  • Vikings take a 2nd receiver in the 6th which makes me question the writers picks
Here is a list of team needs: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000855915/article/2018-nfl-draft-order-and-team-needs-nos-2132. Shows the vikings need OT & OG, not 2 WR's. Also does not show GB needing linebacker. Interesting perspective.

Last edited:
Not a very reliable list. Pierschbacher was first team SEC on one vote. But he was also left off some others. Daniels will go in the first 3 rounds. If he stays healthy, he could be perennial all-pro. He is still only 20 years old, isn’t he?

Not a very reliable list. Pierschbacher was first team SEC on one vote. But he was also left off some others. Daniels will go in the first 3 rounds. If he stays healthy, he could be perennial all-pro. He is still only 20 years old, isn’t he?
I have my doubts about Daniels staying healthy. The draft projections in the prior post seem inconsistent. I want an least Jewell in Oakland! Despite their experience I also have concerns about Myers and Boettger because of an injurious history in both cases. I'm excited th see where Welsh goes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT