ADVERTISEMENT

2018 recruiting

edquinn06

HR All-American
Sep 25, 2014
IA-IL-WI
I know there has been a lot of names thrown around about possible targets and some have committed else where

Patrick- UVA
Thomas-Minny
Silva-Michigan
Shapiro-ISU
RBY- PSU
Teasdale- PSU

So who is still in the mix to join Brands and Cassioppi?

Sasso Iowa, ISU, VT, tOSU
Hidlay Iowa, NCST, Lehigh
Teske Iowa, ISU, Minny, PSU, UNI
Jordan Iowa, tOSU

Can anyone give an under/over that we land two of these guys?

I know there has been a lot of names thrown around about possible targets and some have committed else where

Patrick- UVA
Thomas-Minny
Silva-Michigan
Shapiro-ISU
RBY- PSU
Teasdale- PSU

So who is still in the mix to join Brands and Cassioppi?

Sasso Iowa, ISU, VT, tOSU
Hidlay Iowa, NCST, Lehigh
Teske Iowa, ISU, Minny, PSU, UNI
Jordan Iowa, tOSU

Can anyone give an under/over that we land two of these guys?

I think there is an 83% chance we get 3 out of 4.

The biggest priorities are Teske and Hidlay. I think we get both of them. Not sure what to think on Sasso, heard a lot of different things. We have some leeway with 149 recruiting due to Lugo, but we need a replacement 149 either this class or next, and frankly I like the 149 prospects (Sasso, Rider) better in 2018 than 2019. I think Rocky is a coinflip between us and tOSU. We have Marinelli, Justin + Moriah Stickley, and the M* connection. tOSU has 1 year of overlap with Micah Jordan as a RS SR when Rocky is a True FR plus I'm sure Tom Ryan is close with the whole Jordan family.

I'm hoping for Hidlay, Teske, and Rider to go along with Cassioppi and Nelson. That is a realistic class and an excellent one.

Reactions: Mendoza77
ISU isn't PSU or tOSU. Top 10 recruits aren't knocking down their door. They have to start somewhere.
Definitely. Probably 90% of D1 wrestling schools would find a way to get Teske there for free. Iowa, OSU, TOSU, PSU, and maybe 2 or 3 more being the exception.

Reactions: TarpHawk
So he wants 10% of the schools total scholarship money? Does he think he is the next Carl Sambergscum?

Give him 75% + any academics + any other scholarships(local/home town/national $200 to $1000) work summer camps. It will be very close to full ride.

Reactions: Grip220
Give him 75% + any academics + any other scholarships(local/home town/national $200 to $1000) work summer camps. It will be very close to full ride.

Can be a slippery slope. Not easy. And at last count, NCAA scholarship athletes can't accept local/hometown scholarships. Maybe that has changed or maybe it only applies to revenue sports.

Last I heard ISU's offer was higher than Iowa's, but was not a full ride, & both were greater than PSU's. If a kid is going to determine a decision like that by 10% worth of scholarship dollars I believe he'd be making a mistake. Also, last I knew wrestlers on scholarship could accept any other financial aid available whether it be local scholarships, etc.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Can be a slippery slope. Not easy. And at last count, NCAA scholarship athletes can't accept local/hometown scholarships. Maybe that has changed or maybe it only applies to revenue sports.
I think you are right. Tried to look it up but too much crap and very little about non revenue sports.

I posted in another thread ISU needs Teske. Iowa wants Teske but also already has Lee. ISU wrestling fans have absolutely put all their eggs in the Teske basket. Keep in mind these are the donors trying to revive a downtrodden program. Getting Teske "over Iowa" would crest their perceived momentum. And even non-wrestling fans would be excited due to their Napolean complex with all things Iowa. I seriously would doubt that unless Iowa is offering about nothing and ISU is giving a full ride that Teske would not come to Iowa. Best room (by far for lightweights), best fans and always wanting to be a Hawk. I would be shocked. And a side benefit for the Hawks is it would be a total kick in the nuts to ISU and their "raising the standard." If anyone thinks Brands wouldn't get an extra charge (on top of getting a stud) by getting ISU's number one target when we already have Lee is crazy. Brands and Dresser don't exactly exchange Christmas cards.

Sound strategy giving full rides to guys ranked outside the top 30. That should go well for them in the future. Like Goblin said, Iowa is the clear choice if he is serious about becoming the best wrestler he can be.
Agree with most of this. For Dresser, it's a matter of appearances. ..beating the Hawks for a recruit. I'd be very surprised if ISU doesn't offer more $$$. If the two offers are even remotely close, it's a no brainer.

If I was Iowa and everything works out; meaning:
1) Spencer can get healthy
2) Lugo can get down to 41
3) Downey can pass 16 hours

Then, I would try for this lineup:

2017-2018

25 - Lee
33 - Murin/Happel
41 - Lugo/Turk
49 - Sorenson
57 - Kemmerer
65 - Marinelli
74 - Young
84 - Downey
97 - Warner
Ht - Stoll

2018-2018 (essentially same line-up)

bump Lugo to 49
best man in at 84

This team would cause a lot of trouble and just made a rebuilding year a trophy contender.

This would also help spread out some of the scholarship money.

It would make 33, 49, and 84 a big priority.

Iowa should press Teske, Sasso and Hidlay but remember, they are working off the scholarship money of 1 senior (Sorenson)

Last edited:
If I was Iowa and everything works out meaning:
1) Spencer can get healthy
2) Lugo can get down to 41
3) Downey can pass 16 hours

Then, I would try for this lineup:

2017-2018

25 - Lee
33 - Murin/Happel
41 - Lugo/Turk
49 - Sorenson
57 - Kemerer
65 - Marinelli
74 - Young
84 - Downey
97 - Warner
Ht - Stoll

2018-2018 (essentially same line-up)

bump Lugo to 49
best man in at 84

This team would cause a lot of trouble and just made a rebuilding year a trophy contender.

This would also help spread out some of the scholarship money.

It would make 33, 49, and 84 a big priority.

Iowa should press Teske, Sasso and Hidlay but remember, they are working off the scholarship money of 1 senior (Sorenson)
Why would you waste a year of Lee and Warner to get a 3rd place trophy?

Why would you waste a year of Lee and Warner to get a 3rd place trophy?

If you put Lee, Sorenson, Kemmerer, and Downey into the finals - I'm not sure its a 3rd place trophy. 125 is very weak this year with Cruz and Lizak as top two returning place winners.

Plus, I think you always put your best team on the mat. Holding people back is not the best strategy because anything can happen in this sport. Lee and Warner will be there for 4 years and will have plenty of chances to win individual and team championships. With Lee and Warner, their success will not be measured in college wrestling - they both have bigger aspirations.

This is my opinion. Iowa is strong in the same places as PSU. If Iowa did this, I think it makes tOSU the favorite to win. That's why I would do it!

If you put Lee, Sorenson, Kemmerer, and Downey into the finals - I'm not sure its a 3rd place trophy. 125 is very weak this year with Cruz and Lizak as top two returning place winners.

Plus, I think you always put your best team on the mat. Holding people back is not the best strategy because anything can happen in this sport.

This is my opinion. Iowa is strong in the same places as PSU. If Iowa did this, I think it makes tOSU the favorite to win. That's why I would do it!
That lineup is capable of winning, IMO. It would require everyone to stay healthy and to all have a good tournament, but certainly not outside the realm of possibility. 4-5 Potential Finalists and 7-9 AAs. Think Lee would be a champ.

Plus, I think you always put your best team on the mat. Holding people back is not the best strategy because anything can happen in this sport. Lee and Warner will be there for 4 years and will have plenty of chances to win individual and team championships. With Lee and Warner, their success will not be measured in college wrestling - they both have bigger aspirations.

My belief is that Iowa is strong in the same places as tOSU IF Lee and Warner compete. PSU not so much.

Lee / NATO/ ?
Sorenson / McKenna / Zain
Kemerer/ Jordan / Nolf
Warner / Moore / McCutcheon

really?

Iowa's best and PSU's best are at the same 3 weights:

Sorenson/Retherford
Kemmerer/Nolf
Downey/Nickal

tOSU is clearly better than both at 197 and HWT.

really?

Iowa's best and PSU's best are at the same 3 weights:

Sorenson/Retherford
Kemmerer/Nolf
Downey/Nickal

tOSU is clearly better than both at 197 and HWT.
Downey's folkstyle fame is based solely off one freestyle bout against Gabe Dean. Let me know his results at nationals and how they jive with your expectations. To believe that Downey is a finalist when it's 50/50 at best that he will even be there given his past is highly optimistic. Downey has talent, but has shown great skill at wasting it, and I'm not penciling him into any bracket until mid March.

Downey's folkstyle fame is based solely off one freestyle bout against Gabe Dean. Let me know his results at nationals and how they jive with your expectations. To believe that Downey is a finalist when it's 50/50 at best that he will even be there given his past is highly optimistic. Downey has talent, but has shown great skill at wasting it, and I'm not penciling him into any bracket until mid March.

I thought he was an all American somewhere, won a juco title and a world silver, or is that someone else? As far as thinking he will make it to the end of the season, well that is the question.

Now, go back and read the original post where I said "IF everything works out." Please don't cherry pick parts of a post in order to make yourself look intelligent. You are not educating anyone on this forum about Downey's past. However, his recent results are about all we have to go on and I would say they are pretty good. More so, a good friend is in the room with him and said he weighed 192lb after practice and is stronger than an ox. He will be a VERY big 184 pounder. Look at the other side, imagine how could he could be if he stays disciplined for a whole year or even longer. Man, I hope this girlfriend sticks around because it seems the best thing for keeping him in line.

Reactions: HawkeyePA
Sound strategy giving full rides to guys ranked outside the top 30. That should go well for them in the future. Like Goblin said, Iowa is the clear choice if he is serious about becoming the best wrestler he can be.

Iowa has done it before, but I won't name names.

What about pinning Haught twice or soundly beating Drew Foster and Phil Wellington. Haught is the 2nd highest returning AA at 197 (behind Moore who he actually beat in their dual with Ohio State) and Foster is a returning AA at the stacked 184 weight class last year. Wellington is of course graduated now, but that was a very solid folkstyle win at the time. Then of course his short season 4th place AA finish up a weht class.

I can't believe I keep sounding like I support Downey. I really do not at all and I absolutely despise his reprehensible behavior off the mat, but he is a good wrestler and can't be undersold in that department.

He has a lot more credentials on his resume than the Gabe Dean match.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkeyePA
This is not quite true. My home region in PA has publicly awarded college scholarships to graduating HS senior wrestlers each year for decades. (Not a full ride, but something meaningful.) Pitt HWT starter Ryan Solomon is a recent recipient.

I believe the rule is that it counts toward the school's 9.9 athletic rides, even though the dollars come from a non-university source.

This is not quite true. My home region in PA has publicly awarded college scholarships to graduating HS senior wrestlers each year for decades. (Not a full ride, but something meaningful.) Pitt HWT starter Ryan Solomon is a recent recipient.

I believe the rule is that it counts toward the school's 9.9 athletic rides, even though the dollars come from a non-university source.

Cool. And good to hear.

Downey has legit folkstyle credentials. He was 4th at 197 on limited training. If he was dialed in, he's a title threat.

Reactions: DonHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT