ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Championship Thread : Session III

Lmfao, I love having my own personal trolls.

1.) The ENTIRE point of that post was how hard 165 was MORON. I am actually a big fan of Facundo having watched him wrestle for years before you even knew who he was.

2.)I actually said it was going to be very hard for Kennedy all year to AA. I picked him 7th and got blasted by many on here

for doing so. Sadly, he had a terrible draw as the 6 seed. Lost to a 2 time AA that beat Hamiti right after and then lost to the 4 seed. Not sure how that is on me...

3.) I have actually said PSU was far ahead of Iowa the ENTIRE year. Nothing has changed that. The PSU guys are finding ways to win tough matches. Tons of props to them. Where have I said anything otherwise?

4.) I am all for Iowa fans feeling upset. That is their right. It's the very ignorant blasting of their wrestlers that are infinitely better than they give them credit for that I have an issue with. I mean, they ARE still in 2nd place.

5,) I love the "buried me"argument. What was the score again? I never said Marinelli would have a better career. Would love to see you cite that one for me. The ONLY thing I may have said was to predict Marinelli would win NCAA's the year Covid cancelled the tournament.

6.) Kennedy actually beat Facundo 1.5-0. But, don't worry, math is tough!

Here is the screengrab I got from the match...clearly shows Van Ness has both feet out of bounds (right foot is denting the mat)

Someone with a rule book can quote it, but i think it states you must have one anchor point in...

sTKauCi.png
Looks like the heel is still in the “cylinder”

Here is the screengrab I got from the match...clearly shows Van Ness has both feet out of bounds (right foot is denting the mat)

Someone with a rule book can quote it, but i think it states you must have one anchor point in...

sTKauCi.png
It's hard to gauge from this picture, but if his butt is across the line and "in the cylinder", they are not out

sTKauCi.png
You can't tell if he is in the cylinder or not.

Reactions: kjb32812 and js8793

sTKauCi.png
it’s a cylinder. i’m guessing they couldn’t tell if his heel was still over the line and stuck with the call on the mat.

Reactions: kjb32812

The "ring" is treated as a cylinder. Any part of the body within the "cylinder" will allow the match to continue. The part of the body in the "cylinder" does not have to be touching the mat. It merely yas to break the plane of the exterior of the "ring".

Sucks that psu is about to lose their coaches but I’m not sad to see him move on. I actively rooted for them last night. They kicked ass.
Funny thing, i barely pay attention to basketball. I'm like with those people who just don't grasp wrestling, but about basketball.

For those complaining about the complainers, I think you're missing the point. We're not bummed Iowa is having a rough tournament. We're frustrated that Iowa's been having rough tournaments for most of the last decade, including the year they won. They won because they were so much better than everybody else it was too much ground to make up, but they still underperformed.

And the reason this is frustrating is that there doesn't seem to be much of an adjustment. Same staff, same style, same pattern of performance. Through 3 sessions, Iowa has 2 wins over higher seeds total. This team hasn't raised its level at the national tournament in a decade. That means to win, they need to have the best team by a good margin. That's not sustainable (and given the way PSU recruits, will we ever see that kind of gap again?).

People forget, most years PSU hasn't had a runaway better team. They've won so much because they always raise their level in March. That's the puzzle TnT need to solve, and until we see some changes it's hard to take it seriously.

Funny thing, i barely pay attention to basketball. I'm like with those people who just don't grasp wrestling, but about basketball.
I used to love hoops. But oddly, the players have become so good that it has become uninteresting. Now, as with soccer and hockey, I almost prefer the womens game as it’s easier to follow the skill of the players.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
For those complaining about the complainers, I think you're missing the point. We're not bummed Iowa is having a rough tournament. We're frustrated that Iowa's been having rough tournaments for most of the last decade, including the year they won. They won because they were so much better than everybody else it was too much ground to make up, but they still underperformed.

And the reason this is frustrating is that there doesn't seem to be much of an adjustment. Same staff, same style, same pattern of performance. Through 3 sessions, Iowa has 2 wins over higher seeds total. This team hasn't raised its level at the national tournament in a decade. That means to win, they need to have the best team by a good margin. That's not sustainable (and given the way PSU recruits, will we ever see that kind of gap again?).

People forget, most years PSU hasn't had a runaway better team. They've won so much because they always raise their level in March. That's the puzzle TnT need to solve, and until we see some changes it's hard to take it seriously.
A dirty little secret in life is that people actually DO like to cheer for Goliath. And once their team has been Goliath and they’ve had a taste of it, it’s really really hard to go back to David. . So, frustration understood.

But as George c Scott said in Patton, “all glory is fleeting”.

Well PSU narrowly won three titles. Three were a little close but they won fairly easily . Three years were very large margins , points wise. And the one they recently lost they were 4/4 in the finals.
I'm not disputing they over perform or raise their level, I'll say it's not easy to do this. I think they've won 70 % or more of their finals matches since Sanderson got there .
And I'm sure you've heard their win % since 2017 in I think the semis and finals , it's like 95% and 90% I believe. I didn't check on iowa during the 1970s - 1997 or so , but did they win at that rate? And if they did we're talking another epic dynasty, which they were.
Whenever a team hits a level like that you keep plugging away until you get to the top because these runs don't last forever .

I used to love hoops. But oddly, the players have become so good that it has become uninteresting. Now, as with soccer and hockey, I almost prefer the womens game as it’s easier to follow the skill of the players.
I like to say that basketball players have out atheleted the game. There's so athletically accomplished that they basically don't follow the rules of the game, and maybe they can. How often do you see walking or carrying the ball?
As for the women's game, I just can't. When I turn on the TV and basketballs are on our usually exclaim ewwww basketball! Louder if it's the ladies.
I watch PSU wrestling , PSU football, and sports with a timer or tape measure or scale. Not much else.

For quite some time now…. Like I said, I’m far from privy of these details, but I do know there’s been interest in quite a few guys on a lot of your wishlists. Some names would shock many.
I assumed there had to be some interest from both parties with Gabe coming in. Would seem to be a pretty good fit to bring in for those upper weights.

That's a fairly small sample size. You know how many people grasp what a 4x national champ means. PSU fans I know ( football fans and alums) barely know wrestling is going on.
Psu won an NCAA tournament basketball game btw. That's getting way more attention locally.
I'm guessing wrestling fans are a lot more plugged in to this stuff compared to general sports fans.
Maybe wrestling would get more attention if we moved it BEFORE March Madness…

I like to say that basketball players have out atheleted the game. There's so athletically accomplished that they basically don't follow the rules of the game, and maybe they can. How often do you see walking or carrying the ball?
As for the women's game, I just can't. When I turn on the TV and basketballs are on our usually exclaim ewwww basketball! Louder if it's the ladies.
I watch PSU wrestling , PSU football, and sports with a timer or tape measure or scale. Not much else.
Yeah, no judges thank you very much.

I actually think the nfl is going to become like the nba in terms of the dynamic you describe.

That’s why I live hockey. A very very honest game. You should try it.

Maybe wrestling would get more attention if we moved it BEFORE March Madness…
I'm not sure, I could give you multiple reasons why I love it, and those same reasons will be why other people just don't get it. I like powerlifting and to me it was similar to wrestling. In fact, you had to maintain a weight and make Waite and we're separate weight classes.
When I first started, there were 10 weight classes for example, now I think there's a few more but honestly most people don't get it, lifting heavy weight looks the same as another weight .
As for wrestling, anyone there in the sport knows how tough it is, how physically demanding it is for variety of reasons. But that doesn't translate to your average person who prefer sports ball..

I actually think the nfl is going to become like the nba in terms of the dynamic you describe.

When the NFL starts piping in garbage generic computerized music DURING live game play like they idiotically do in the NBA...........I'm out.

My cousin has season tickets for the Allentown phantoms. So I try to go to one game per year I haven't gone for a few years after Covid nonsense started, but that's a sport. Both my wife and I can enjoy.
I was just talking to a younger friend today about why I don't like certain sports anymore. And I said it seems that most sports have taken on this need to constantly entertain the fans. It's bad the constant need to interact with the fans is something I find annoying. in basketball he said, and baseball to me I just lost interest over the years pro football similar.
Even Penn State football is something I don't like to attend in person anymore, I prefer my couch and no one in front of me to go to the bathroom. I still remember the days when I went to college and we started most games at 1 o'clock.
I will say I had a great time at Penn State Michigan wrestling match this year. But most sports have lost me. Of course if you're going to ask me my favorite pro hockey team I'm gonna say the Philadelphia Flyers and we know how they've been doing lately.

Reactions: Aardvark86
I'm not sure, I could give you multiple reasons why I love it, and those same reasons will be why other people just don't get it. I like powerlifting and to me it was similar to wrestling. In fact, you had to maintain a weight and make Waite and we're separate weight classes.
When I first started, there were 10 weight classes for example, now I think there's a few more but honestly most people don't get it, lifting heavy weight looks the same as another weight .
As for wrestling, anyone there in the sport knows how tough it is, how physically demanding it is for variety of reasons. But that doesn't translate to your average person who prefer sports ball..
Yep. I raced bikes for a bit. So I know what it is to throw up and to literally get tunnel vision turning yourself inside out in a competition. Love sports that have a will over skill dynamic

When the NFL starts piping in garbage generic computerized music DURING live game play like they idiotically do in the NBA...........I'm out.
If we're sitting around drinking whiskey's and beers, I could talk about this for hours. But that's basically what it is. It'sthat they feel they have to make it constantly an experience for the fans when to me the game is experience.
It's happened at Penn State, and I don't know how it is in Iowa with their football games but yeah I agree. Personally, blame the movie space jam.

My cousin has season tickets for the Allentown phantoms. So I try to go to one game per year I haven't gone for a few years after Covid nonsense started, but that's a sport. Both my wife and I can enjoy.
I was just talking to a younger friend today about why I don't like certain sports anymore. And I said it seems that most sports have taken on this need to constantly entertain the fans. It's bad the constant need to interact with the fans is something I find annoying. in basketball he said, and baseball to me I just lost interest over the years pro football similar.
Even Penn State football is something I don't like to attend in person anymore, I prefer my couch and no one in front of me to go to the bathroom. I still remember the days when I went to college and we started most games at 1 o'clock.
I will say I had a great time at Penn State Michigan wrestling match this year. But most sports have lost me. Of course if you're going to ask me my favorite pro hockey team I'm gonna say the Philadelphia Flyers and we know how they've been doing lately.
I grew up a flyers fan. Love torts. He’ll turn them around. Won’t finish the job because he has a shelf life. But he may be my favorite coach.

If we're sitting around drinking whiskey's and beers, I could talk about this for hours. But that's basically what it is. It'sthat they feel they have to make it constantly an experience for the fans when to me the game is experience.
It's happened at Penn State, and I don't know how it is in Iowa with their football games but yeah I agree. Personally, blame the movie space jam.
Indeed. I was at the psu Miami game in the mid 90s when they first trotted out the in game noise. Sadly, they did not listen to their customers reaction that day.

Yep. I raced bikes for a bit. So I know what it is to throw up and to literally get tunnel vision turning yourself inside out in a competition. Love sports that have a will over skill dynamic
My first meet I had it. F Ed up squats , barely got one in. Banged my head off the bar lying back to bench..
I had a chance to take third if I pulled a big lift, maybe 70-80 lbs over my best. I was 18 and it was teenage states . I had a hour after my first lift to get ready . Back then as the weight went you took your next attempt.
Now the whole class goes, then they do seconds, then thirds.
I did some of that mental training voodoo and damn near lifted it until inside my brain I said holy shit I'm doing it!
Yeah, I missed it but I shouldn't have budged it lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT