ADVERTISEMENT

2019 PGs Andre Gordon & Noah Hutchins

Dailey is athletic, but he is NOT a PG. I think he can be an important player at 2 and even the 3 in most match ups.

How many times did you see him attack the rim and finish (not counting shoot around)? He frequently got by his man, then stopped Unless it was a break away, I don't remember Dailey going to the basket and finishing more than a couple of times.

How many times did Bohannon, Moss, or Ellingson do this? Agree, he isn't very athletic.

On the surface, it would appear that having the combination of an ever improving Dailey and Moss, to go with a young but talented Joe W. manning the 2-3 would upgrade both the defense and offense based on their length and athletic ability.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
How many times did Bohannon, Moss, or Ellingson do this? Agree, he isn't very athletic.

I hate it when people respond to posts without reading them carefully. My first sentence was that "Dailey is athletic, but he is not a PG." My last sentence ended with "I don't remember Dailey going to the basket and finishing more than a couple of times." You found one of them, but it wasn't from a PG position and I doubt that you can find very many more. That finish was impressive, but it was mostly the result of lousy defense and a clear path to the basket. The end result (laying on the court) might be why Maishe didn't do it more often.

I like Dailey because he is long, athletic, and improving, but not at PG. If he improves as much this year as last and gains the confidence to make moves like the tape more often, we will have what you think we already had. There are probably a few drives and finishes by Moss that you could also find, but there weren't nearly as many as I expected.

Reactions: Legend12
On the surface, it would appear that having the combination of an ever improving Dailey and Moss, to go with a young but talented Joe W. manning the 2-3 would upgrade both the defense and offense based on their length and athletic ability.
I have been saying this, and hope that this keeps Fran from playing Nunge and other bigs at 3, which really hurt us last year. Baer can play 3 in certain match ups, but the other bigs need to stay at 4 or 5. One or two of them will need to spend most of the time on the bench.

Reactions: perryhawk
I hate it when people respond to posts without reading them carefully. My first sentence was that "Dailey is athletic, but he is not a PG." My last sentence ended with "I don't remember Dailey going to the basket and finishing more than a couple of times." You found one of them, but it wasn't from a PG position and I doubt that you can find very many more. That finish was impressive, but it was mostly the result of lousy defense and a clear path to the basket. The end result (laying on the court) might be why Maishe didn't do it more often.

I like Dailey because he is long, athletic, and improving, but not at PG. If he improves as much this year as last and gains the confidence to make moves like the tape more often, we will have what you think we already had. There are probably a few drives and finishes by Moss that you could also find, but there weren't nearly as many as I expected.

I agree with you. It shouldn't matter what position someone plays because Fran thinks Iowa is Golden State and plays positonless basketball. This is not a jab at you, but at Fran and his delusional comments about the team he has vs. the team he thinks he has. My overarching point is that the dunk by Dailey was impressive, but shouldn't be a Sports Center Iowa hoops moment, but was because outside of Cook, we don't have any other finishers. I am not beating the drum that Dailey is a PG, but he was at least able to stay on the floor, which made him exponentially better than Brady at that spot.

I agree with you. It shouldn't matter what position someone plays because Fran thinks Iowa is Golden State and plays positonless basketball. This is not a jab at you, but at Fran and his delusional comments about the team he has vs. the team he thinks he has. My overarching point is that the dunk by Dailey was impressive, but shouldn't be a Sports Center Iowa hoops moment, but was because outside of Cook, we don't have any other finishers. I am not beating the drum that Dailey is a PG, but he was at least able to stay on the floor, which made him exponentially better than Brady at that spot.
If you have players with ball handling skills and decent size/quickness, playing "positionless" BB has advantages. Last year, Iowa only had one player with good ball handling skills (not counting CMc), but JBo is small and isn't ultra-quick to compensate. This year, we should be closer to matching what Fran wants, with the addition of JoeW and even Fredrick, and hopefully improvement from Dailey and Moss. Until these guys get on the court together and perform this season, it is mostly just hope.

How? Most 2-3 stars are risks, right?. Developmental prospects? "System guys"? There will be a few needles in that haystack, but a lot will not meet expectations of most fan bases. Show me another program, that isn't a blue blood, that doesn't reach often.

Show me a program that bombed out two straight classes like Iowa did in 2014 and 2015.

I think a good benchmark is if they are offered by any other P5 schools. If they aren’t it’s a huge reach. Sometimes it works out, most of the time it doesn’t.

Fran needs to at least try for the 2019 class. May not make it to see it past if things do not turn around. We should not be ok with consistently not making the tourney. Offer one of these kids they both seem better than current options at point. No guarantee they come here either knowing they are second options after Carton.

I am sorry, but it is not even close. Dailey is quicker than Connor. Not to mention that he is longer. If everything else were even, which it is not, that alone would make him a better defender...

He is our best defender outside of the post. He has the skills and athleticism to make improvements. Let us hope that he does. Along with everyone else on the team!

I’m not seeing it, sorry. I was not impressed with Dailey defensively last year, and I don’t think he would do any better defending quicker PGs than Connor would.

I’m with you on hoping for improvements though.

His PTL coach from last year went out of his way to express what an awful defender he was when I asked about him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT