ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Season Stats - 19 Offensive Touchdowns in 13 Games

Steamboat529529

HR All-American
May 27, 2021
We could say that we only averaged around 1.5 offensive touchdowns per game last year.

We could say that Michigan scored 28 touchdowns last year. But that was in only four games against their non conference opponents.

We could say that Ohio State scored more touchdowns in three games against Toledo, Wisconsin, and Iowa but that doesn’t take into account how much help they got from Iowa’s offense and how well Iowa’s defense played. Toledo also scored seven times as many offensive points against Ohio State as Iowa’s offense.

We could say all that, but I’m not going there.

I guarantee we score more offensive touchdowns in 2023. Onward and upward!

lets see how much the O Line improves, the run game was crippled because of that OL,

looking to see if any of the RB'S can gain at least 3-4 yards on 1st down. vs the 1-3 yard loss on 1st down. it is easier on the offense when the 2nd down is either 2nd-7 or 2nd 6. that makes it harder on the defense.

lets see how much the O Line improves, the run game was crippled because of that OL,

looking to see if any of the RB'S can gain at least 3-4 yards on 1st down. vs the 1-3 yard loss on 1st down. it is easier on the offense when the 2nd down is either 2nd-7 or 2nd 6. that makes it harder on the defense.
Personally, I'm waiting to see if they can throw a 8 yd pass on 3rd and 7. Kinda used to a 4 yd pass on 3rd and 8.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
That's why I think I'm solid on doubling the total offensive scoring.

I think the offense only scored 19 TDs, 7 passing and 12 rushing. That's only 1.46 per game, 114 pts. So they only need to score 2.92 TDs per game to double the TDs. Let's round up to three, that's only 234 points I'm seeing several opportunities to score 4 or 5 TDs on the schedule.

The kickers made every PAT last year, so that's a net gain of 19 pts on offense. Better offense means more FG attempts as well. Iowa only attempted 21 FGs and made 17. Thinking back at all the drives that made it to FG range but lost ground and had to punt or get intercepted. I'm guessing Stephens attempts more like 31-40 more FGs and hits at the same 90% rate. Let's split the difference, at 35 and we're looking at 42 more offensive points.

So last year, the offense scored only 133 points from offensive TDs and only 51 points from FGs. That's only 184 points, 14.1 per game. Doubling that would still only move up to 6th or 7th place. That's the difference in outstanding QBing and historically bad QBing. The team only needs to be above average to double last year.​

Reactions: uihawk82
We could say that we only averaged around 1.5 offensive touchdowns per game last year.

We could say that Michigan scored 28 touchdowns last year. But that was in only four games against their non conference opponents.

We could say that Ohio State scored more touchdowns in three games against Toledo, Wisconsin, and Iowa but that doesn’t take into account how much help they got from Iowa’s offense and how well Iowa’s defense played. Toledo also scored seven times as many offensive points against Ohio State as Iowa’s offense.

We could say all that, but I’m not going there.

I guarantee we score more offensive touchdowns in 2023. Onward and upward!
Iowa had a grand total of 25 TDs last season. Only 19 were on offense. 6 were defensive TDs (3 by CDJ). Stat has been thrown around 24% of the teams TDs were by the defense last season. Impressive and sad all at the same time.

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
That's why I think I'm solid on doubling the total offensive scoring.

I think the offense only scored 19 TDs, 7 passing and 12 rushing. That's only 1.46 per game, 114 pts. So they only need to score 2.92 TDs per game to double the TDs. Let's round up to three, that's only 234 points I'm seeing several opportunities to score 4 or 5 TDs on the schedule.

The kickers made every PAT last year, so that's a net gain of 19 pts on offense. Better offense means more FG attempts as well. Iowa only attempted 21 FGs and made 17. Thinking back at all the drives that made it to FG range but lost ground and had to punt or get intercepted. I'm guessing Stephens attempts more like 31-40 more FGs and hits at the same 90% rate. Let's split the difference, at 35 and we're looking at 42 more offensive points.

So last year, the offense scored only 133 points from offensive TDs and only 51 points from FGs. That's only 184 points, 14.1 per game. Doubling that would still only move up to 6th or 7th place. That's the difference in outstanding QBing and historically bad QBing. The team only needs to be above average to double last year.​
My numbers were off. You are right DSD. I gave the offense credit for two more touchdowns. The numbers were even worse that I thought. 🤦‍♂️

Take away Nevada and Northwestern and it’s not pretty.
How often are we going to beat this horse? Instead of living in the past, how about looking to the future. Afterall, a well-used and oft employed comment about Nebraska living in the past can now be applied to all those posting about how the 2022 offense performed and who's responsible.

How often are we going to beat this horse? Instead of living in the past, how about looking to the future. Afterall, a well-used and oft employed comment about Nebraska living in the past can now be applied to all those posting about how the 2022 offense performed and who's responsible.
Actually no. Brian Ferentz is still very much part of Iowa’s future somehow. Theres no past unfortunately. There’s a big difference between Tom Osborne in the mid 1990s at Nebraska and Iowa bringing back the coordinator in charge of the worst offense in modern big ten football last season. Kind of crazy putting those two in the same sentence.

Last edited:
Reactions: not_mantiteo
Excuse me. This is the here and now. It happened a few months ago. The glaring problem hasn't gone away. It is in the present.

Last edited:
Excuse me. This is the here and now. It happened a few months ago. The glaring problem hasn't gone away. It is in the present.
Here's a difference. Iowa went from the worst starting QB in 46 years to a 4* that started for a Michigan Big Ten Champ is glaring improvement. Unlike a HS kid, we all have seen what Cade can do against Big Ten competition. Just by that one move the script is going to flip on offense. So that is where we are now.

Iowa is never going to have the talent to play X Box offense. The last two seasons' offensive production is not acceptable. So bringing in a game changing improvement at QB seems like a good place to start. Iowa's offense only needs to score enough points that we aren't losing games where neither team reaches 20.

Last edited:
Here's a difference. Iowa went from the worst starting QB in 46 years to a 4* that started for a Michigan Big Ten Champ is glaring improvement. Unlike a HS kid, we all have seen what Cade can do against Big Ten competition. Just by that one move the script is going to flip on offense. So that is where we are now.

Iowa is never going to have the talent to play X Box offense. The last two seasons' offensive production is not acceptable. So bringing in a game changing improvement at QB seems like a good place to start. Iowa's offense only needs to score enough points that we aren't losing games where neither team reaches 20.
That and if Kirk could he would gain 3.34 yards per play and grind that clock out.

Agreed; but that is only a temporary ointment on a glaring wound. The root of the problem still exists - Wonder Boy.

The offensive Offensive Scheme must go.
Even more critical than unloading Junior.
95% of the offensive problems fall on KF and his belief. We have had 2 OC's that had pretty productive "pre-Iowa" stats, only to be handcuffed.

Reactions: blhawk
Please inform the head coach that 2015 was 8 years ago and he'll never get a schedule like that again. That guy seems to love living in the past... especially when it comes time to defend his dogshit offense

It is all about the O Line now. The other pieces are in place for an improved offense. You would think that Kirk and Brian would be able to handle that part....they know how to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT