ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Iowa Hawkeyes

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
If MANY PIECES of the puzzle can come together this winter etc with the portal etc getting some decent WR’s and we retain our defense (ones not graduating) shore up our oline we could be a major factor in the BTW Division… I truly like our chances. I know I know BF must go or for him to take over his natural spot with the oline … I have no idea like many here that don’t know if he will be retained but I have a not so good feeling that he will remain where he’s at but that’s another story that’s been hashed over so many times and I am not about to do the same but “we” all know that he needs to start packing… Me thinks we need to get another RB or 2 and one more QB… and hopefully get these young dudes on the line ready more than anything… not all on the QB… line doesn’t protect we will have another Spencer McNamara … this could be a great great upcoming year IF they can put this puzzle together- let’s hope for some good fortune in the next month - I do think we will land some good receivers though, again just a few pieces to the puzzle…

If MANY PIECES of the puzzle can come together this winter etc with the portal etc getting some decent WR’s and we retain ou

Of course you are correct, the hawks were so damn close to winning the West Div this year. They hold Illinois to 9 points at their place and do not give up a TD yet lose by 3 points, they had 2 super tough crossover games and losses, and then they had a really bad first 35 minutes against Nebby which cost them. They lost the west by 10 points in two games.

So if the offense just improves by 10 points a game and the defense has another great or even very good season in points against them they probably win the West. A new staff at Wisky and at their place could be tough and perhaps Nebby found their coach so we shall see.

Of course you are correct, the hawks were so damn close to winning the West Div this year. They hold Illinois to 9 points at their place and do not give up a TD yet lose by 3 points, they had 2 super tough crossover games and losses, and then they had a really bad first 35 minutes against Nebby which cost them. They lost the west by 10 points in two games.

So if the offense just improves by 10 points a game and the defense has another great or even very good season in points against them they probably win the West. A new staff at Wisky and at their place could be tough and perhaps Nebby found their coach so we shall see.
Thank you well said

We’ve lost more than we’ve gained at the point

Cade can’t throw the ball to himself and we have no one to keep him off his back either

Drama Queen we r?? We already have plenty of talent on this team that was redshirted or 1st yr players last yr. But your little brain can't think outside what's in the current news stream.

JAZZ has a huge upside and could slide into ABs role in a heartbeat, and our best WR Bostick will be back. We land one WR and we were fine. I say a TE, an Olineman and a DB r bigger need then the avg RB we missed on.

Oh wait, we have a 5 star who will start, and 2 good TEs returning. Oh, and X starting next yr. So relax. A couple additions thru the portal will be for depth, that's about it.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Oh wait, we have a 5 star who will start, and 2 good TEs returning. Oh, and X starting next yr. So relax. A couple additions thru the portal will be for depth, that's about it.
Just like Eppy did? Lachey is going to be a beast, the rest is unproven. Those additions, especially at the WR spot will absolutely be starters.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Here's what our starting lineup looks like for 2023:

QB- Cade McNamara
RB- Kaleb Johnson
FB- Eli Miller?
WR- Diante Vines
WR- Brody Brecht
TE- Luke Lachey
RT- Nick DeJong?
RG- Tyler Elsbury?
C- Logan Jones
LG- Connor Colby
LT- Mason Richman

DE- Ethan Hurkett
DT- Luke Van Ness
DT- Logan Lee
DE- Deontae Craig
LB- Seth Benson?/Sebastian Castro?
LB- Jay Higgins
LB- Kyle Fisher
SS- Xavier Nwankpa?
FS- Quinn Schulte
CB- Cooper DeJean
CB- Jamari Harris

K- Drew Stevens
P- Tory Taylor

That looks like a National Championship winning roster right there motherf***er. We don't need to bring anyone else in from the portal or from high school recruiting..................................

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jo2knight

QB- Cade McNamara
RB- Kaleb Johnson
FB- Eli Miller?
WR- Diante Vines
WR- Brody Brecht
TE- Luke Lachey
RT- Nick DeJong?
RG- Tyler Elsbury?
C- Logan Jones
LG- Connor Colby
LT- Mason Richman

DE- Ethan Hurkett
DT- Luke Van Ness
DT- Logan Lee
DE- Deontae Craig
LB- Jay Higgins
LB- Kyle Fisher
SS- Xavier Nwankpa?
FS- Quinn Schulte
CB- Cooper DeJean
CB- TJ Hall?/Jamison Heinz?

K- Drew Stevens
P- Tory Taylor

That looks like a National Championship winning roster right there motherf***er. We don't need to bring anyone else in from the portal or from high school recruiting..................................
Jamari Harris will be the CB opposite DeJean.

Oh great the Big10 West, one of the worst divisions in football, just inept teams, playing glorified rugby. Why win it so Michigan, could had run over us again to the tune of 42-3. Get real.

QB- Cade McNamara
RB- Kaleb Johnson
FB- Eli Miller?
WR- Diante Vines
WR- Brody Brecht
TE- Luke Lachey
RT- Nick DeJong?
RG- Tyler Elsbury?
C- Logan Jones
LG- Connor Colby
LT- Mason Richman

DE- Ethan Hurkett
DT- Luke Van Ness
DT- Logan Lee
DE- Deontae Craig
LB- Jay Higgins
LB- Kyle Fisher
SS- Xavier Nwankpa?
FS- Quinn Schulte
CB- Cooper DeJean
CB- TJ Hall?/Jamison Heinz?

K- Drew Stevens
P- Tory Taylor

what's the minimum number of players listed that need to be replaced to be a National Championship winning roster?

4BZdrnP.png

Since less than 8% of the players in the portal have committed, isn't it fair to say that the vast majority of teams have lost more than they have gained?

That's the way it works,.. athletes have to enter the portal before they can leave the portal.

i get the feeling that thanks to protracted hand wringing and national attention on our offensive shortcomings, the program will do a bunch of things (including transfers) to lift the offense. expect the offense to look average (which would be a significant improvement). my concern though is that the D (that is taken for granted) will fall from elite to merely good erasing any overall gains and we'll merely end up taking a different route to reach the same spot in november 23.

The primary problem is not the coaching staff,.. Things are never that simple.

Your perspective kind of depends on general program opinion. If you hate the program & the coaches involved on offense, you’re going to naturally assume there’s no way they can be better.

As I’ve indicated, I’m not a huge fan of Barnett, maybe that’s unfair but it’s a reality that I-line was horrific.

I also would like Brian Ferentz to be gone but as is my norm, I look at ancillary things to get a gauge on what may or may not be happening.

I said it in its own thread earlier cade McNamara knows whether the coaches are being replaced or not, and he still came on board.

So what that means is if, even though I hope they aren’t retained, “if” they are staying and he still came on board. Then he thinks the offense can be better, and I think I’ll rely on him and his thoughts about the potential more than I would these message board guys!

I don’t really think some folks really understand how bad that offensive line was even in the games where the O played better. I’ve seen a couple breakdowns from friends or people in the know, and there isn’t a quarterback in the world or OC that would’ve made that line look good. They were epically poor.

Last edited:
I don’t really think some folks really understand how bad that offensive line was even in the games where the I played better. I’ve seen a couple breakdowns from friends or people in the know, and there isn’t a quarterback in the world or OC that would’ve made that line look good. They were epically poor.

This is where the truth lies....

QB- Cade McNamara
RB- Kaleb Johnson
FB- Eli Miller?
WR- Diante Vines
WR- Brody Brecht
TE- Luke Lachey
RT- Nick DeJong?
RG- Tyler Elsbury?
C- Logan Jones
LG- Connor Colby
LT- Mason Richman

DE- Ethan Hurkett
DT- Luke Van Ness
DT- Logan Lee
DE- Deontae Craig
LB- Jay Higgins
LB- Kyle Fisher
SS- Xavier Nwankpa?
FS- Quinn Schulte
CB- Cooper DeJean
CB- Jamari Harris

K- Drew Stevens
P- Tory Taylor

This is missing so much. Bostick will start at WR no matter who we bring in.

Unfortunately if we do win the West next year it won’t count for some of our fans. It’s funny really if you go backwards through strength of schedule ratings like several posters have done in here. Our schedule is usually a top 40 schedule, but it doesn’t matter to these guys. They’re not interested in lifting Iowa up they’re interested in tearing them down!

J
If the same coaches are in the same places, it won't matter who they bring in from the portal.
Just a little reminder, many of these "same coaches" have been in place for 10 consecutive seasons of bowl eligibility. I know it's human nature to over react to basically everything anymore, but maybe try to see the positives once and a while.

Just like Eppy did? Lachey is going to be a beast, the rest is unproven. Those additions, especially at the WR spot will absolutely be starters.

Well we had actual depth at DL when epenesa came in so it’s not like there was the urgent need there like we have at OL.

Idk if I expect Proctor to start game 1, but absolutely by the end of the season. Just a matter of how much time he needs to get up to speed.

Reactions: cmhawks99
One thing I’m still surprised by is that, McNamara came on board at all. I’ll confess after reading all the negative posts in here all year. I think I too, began to be negative, so….

It was a nice surprise, although based on the same negative posts “still” it seems maybe Cade is just dumb I guess. Seems crazy to trust these coaches when many of our smartest loudest fans don't?

Reactions: savage84
I am optimistic for next season. I think the Hawks should be able to make a serious run to win the West.
I am too. But I was optimistic this year. Can't lose to crap teams like ISU and Nebraska.

Reactions: 83Hawk
J

Just a little reminder, many of these "same coaches" have been in place for 10 consecutive seasons of bowl eligibility. I know it's human nature to over react to basically everything anymore, but maybe try to see the positives once and a while.
Bowl game is hardly something to use to measure any success given 6 wins gets you in a bowl game. Bowl games do not mean what they used to IMO.

Reactions: Bruceman44

QB- Cade McNamara
RB- Kaleb Johnson
FB- Eli Miller?
WR- Diante Vines
WR- Brody Brecht
TE- Luke Lachey
RT- Nick DeJong?
RG- Tyler Elsbury?
C- Logan Jones
LG- Connor Colby
LT- Mason Richman

DE- Ethan Hurkett
DT- Luke Van Ness
DT- Logan Lee
DE- Deontae Craig
LB- Jay Higgins
LB- Kyle Fisher
SS- Xavier Nwankpa?
FS- Quinn Schulte
CB- Cooper DeJean
CB- Jamari Harris

K- Drew Stevens
P- Tory Taylor

We are in trouble and will have another revolving door for defenders to enter the back field if we start Dejong at RT next year. He's worse than Plumb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT