ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Iowa Hawkeyes

One thing I’m still surprised by is that, McNamara came on board at all. I’ll confess after reading all the negative posts in here all year. I think I too, began to be negative, so….

It was a nice surprise, although based on the same negative posts “still” it seems maybe Cade is just dumb I guess. Seems crazy to trust these coaches when many of our smartest loudest fans don't?
Your relentless crusade against HR posters who express a negative opinion or disagree with your POV is getting tiresome and a bit pathetic. Take up knitting or do something useful.

Well we had actual depth at DL when epenesa came in so it’s not like there was the urgent need there like we have at OL.

Idk if I expect Proctor to start game 1, but absolutely by the end of the season. Just a matter of how much time he needs to get up to speed.
If he ends up at Iowa, he's an early enrollee, so I don't think it will take him until mid season to get up to speed. It is quite a tall task to expect a true freshman to start on the OL at Iowa especially at OT. I haven't heard anything on Davidkov yet either as he was the 2nd string coming into spring.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Of course you are correct, the hawks were so damn close to winning the West Div this year. They hold Illinois to 9 points at their place and do not give up a TD yet lose by 3 points, they had 2 super tough crossover games and losses, and then they had a really bad first 35 minutes against Nebby which cost them. They lost the west by 10 points in two games.

So if the offense just improves by 10 points a game and the defense has another great or even very good season in points against them they probably win the West. A new staff at Wisky and at their place could be tough and perhaps Nebby found their coach so we shall see.
Yes, the Hawks were dam close to winning the West. But they were woefully not competitive against Mich/OSU. In other words, the West was very weak.

And, depth was a problem is 2022. Losing Coop and SP in the last game, on top of Sam and the fullback in the previous one (not to mention Keegan, Jacobs and Roberts) left the Hawks very thin.

Keagan Johnson and Sam Laporta were really the lone bright spots on offense, and one of them is gone. If the Hawks land All and keep Lachey, at least Sam's departure will be ok. And the QB problem has likely been fixed, if he can stay healthy. So, TE, QB and RB look pretty good.

That leaves a lot of question marks on offense, regardless of who the OC will be.

Your relentless crusade against HR posters who express a negative opinion or disagree with your POV is getting tiresome and a bit pathetic. Take up knitting or do something useful.

It feels a lot like the relentless crusade many have against our coaches doesn’t it?

Why yes, yes it does?

Reactions: savage84
Drama Queen we r?? We already have plenty of talent on this team that was redshirted or 1st yr players last yr. But your little brain can't think outside what's in the current news stream.

JAZZ has a huge upside and could slide into ABs role in a heartbeat, and our best WR Bostick will be back. We land one WR and we were fine. I say a TE, an Olineman and a DB r bigger need then the avg RB we missed on.

Oh wait, we have a 5 star who will start, and 2 good TEs returning. Oh, and X starting next yr. So relax. A couple additions thru the portal will be for depth, that's about it.
Pretty bold assumption for a guy with no stats.

I will make you a deal, though, if I can get in one single thread, not all of them, not even some of them, just one. If I can get in one thread and not find 4, 6, 6 of the usual suspects throwing shade in the coaches, I promise I will never ever say negative things about the critic again!

Fair?! How likely do you think it will happen?

Besides what is wrong with the assessment. Cade McNamara committed to come on board to “these coaches” in the same people are running amok on the board complaining about it… Seems to me it makes that kid pretty dumb!

I mean, I’m assuming you think that their assessment is right we have dumb coaches? Right? And therefore anybody to commit to them has to be equally dumb.

I will make you a deal, though, if I can get in one single thread, not all of them, not even some of them, just one. If I can get in one thread and not find 4, 6, 6 of the usual suspects throwing shade in the coaches, I promise I will never ever say negative things about the critic again!

Fair?! How likely do you think it will happen?

Besides what is wrong with the assessment. Cade McNamara committed to come on board to “these coaches” in the same people are running amok on the board complaining about it… Seems to me it makes that kid pretty dumb!

I mean, I’m assuming you think that their assessment is right we have dumb coaches? Right? And therefore anybody to commit to them has to be equally dumb.
You started a thread that said you want Brian gone, but Cade....So what am I missing about this? I am good with being positive, but maybe rather than baiting people into it, provide some information instead.

Unfortunately if we do win the West next year it won’t count for some of our fans. It’s funny really if you go backwards through strength of schedule ratings like several posters have done in here. Our schedule is usually a top 40 schedule, but it doesn’t matter to these guys. They’re not interested in lifting Iowa up they’re interested in tearing them down!
Well, the downside to expectations is the failure to meet them..........and all that comes with it.

You are taking the criticism against the coaches personally, it seems. The critics are not going away. Posters like Iowaslaw and RoyLFuchs, the insufferable assholes, every fanbase has a few - ignore them.

Reactions: Ignored
You started a thread that said you want Brian gone, but Cade....So what am I missing about this? I am good with being positive, but maybe rather than baiting people into it, provide some information instead.

I can’t talk to you it will derail the thread

You are taking the criticism against the coaches personally, it seems. The critics are not going away. Posters like Iowaslaw and RoyLFuchs, the insufferable assholes, every fanbase has a few - ignore them.

My memory suggest you’re really not that bad… But there’s a shit ton of guys, that every single thread that starts positive they throw shade at the coaches… I do like screwing with those guys, sorry!

Maybe you’ve never been to a party with somebody constantly bitching, in fact, I’ve been to parties where people were bitching about things that I actually didn’t like either, but it became so oppressive. I finally had to tell him to shut the hell up and point out how idiotic are… That’s me.

I’d like Brian Ferentz to move on I’m not so sure the offensive line coach is the right fit but I’m tired of getting on a message board hoping to find some positive news and listen to these lunatics!!

Fair?!

1. We need 2 new O Tackles. Proctor + TBD?
2. We need 2 new WR (1 with elite quickness and 1 with a big catch radius) (could be an incoming freshman like Bostick but likely need some juice from the portal)
3. We need 1 new CB

Richman will be a starting tackle until he is gone. If Porter signs, the only pressing need would be one or two guards. Any WR with a pulse would be a great addition. I hope Teslaa chooses the Hawks.

Richman will be a starting tackle until he is gone. If Porter signs, the only pressing need would be one or two guards. Any WR with a pulse would be a great addition. I hope Teslaa chooses the Hawks.
Honest question here...how would you rank our current OL unit from most effective (best) to least effective (worst) overall? I don't know the positions well enough to know who graded well or poorly to know which spots need to be replaced. Please, anyone respond.

Honest question here...how would you rank our current OL unit from most effective (best) to least effective (worst) overall? I don't know the positions well enough to know who graded well or poorly to know which spots need to be replaced. Please, anyone respond.

I would rank it as the worst single unit I have seen on the field for a P5 team. In ranking the individuals from worst to least offensive, I would go Plumb, DeJong, Stephens, Colby, Jones, and Richman. Richman was practically the only one that didn't look lost every play.
I honestly don't know what the ceiling is for any of these guys. I think Richman and Jones have the athleticism to develop with good coaching. Colby, too for that matter. If Proctor doesn't sign, I have no idea who the other tackle will be. And there needs to be a new person coaching that unit. Period.

Reactions: Rifler
I would rank it as the worst single unit I have seen on the field for a P5 team. In ranking the individuals from worst to least offensive, I would go Plumb, DeJong, Stephens, Colby, Jones, and Richman. Richman was practically the only one that didn't look lost every play.
I honestly don't know what the ceiling is for any of these guys. I think Richman and Jones have the athleticism to develop with good coaching. Colby, too for that matter. If Proctor doesn't sign, I have no idea who the other tackle will be. And there needs to be a new person coaching that unit. Period.

I’m sure Jones will improve but if he was 2nd best we really don’t have to do “anything” definitely but fix that line…

While visiting a friend he showed me rewinds of countless whiffs by him alone that resulted in many sacks and lost yardage plays…

That’s why I know if that improves to even average our team will be pretty solid next year. If it doesn’t improve it doesn’t matter who our quarterback is our WR’s or who are coordinator is!

Last edited:
Still think we should be playing a TE there instead of the traditional FB.

My wish would be to evolve a full time FB into a 3rd TE/FB.

I didn't pencil in Proctor because f*** if we know if he's coming here..........

Thought I remembered seeing him essentially recommit via Twitter to Iowa. Aside from him taking that visit to Oregon, there’s been nothing that I’ve heard on the various podcasts I listen to that says he’s wavering.

Your perspective kind of depends on general program opinion. If you hate the program & the coaches involved on offense, you’re going to naturally assume there’s no way they can be better.

I don’t really think some folks really understand how bad that offensive line was even in the games where the O played better. I’ve seen a couple breakdowns from friends or people in the know, and there isn’t a quarterback in the world or OC that would’ve made that line look good. They were epically poor.
This is the truth. That line, even at it's best this season, was one of the most inept O lines I've seen at this level. Going back to your first sentence, the people who hate the coaches will say (with some degree of validity) that it's the coach's responsibility to ensure we have capable players and that they're well-coached. People who give the coaches the benefit of the doubt will say "yeah, but we had some unexpected attrition there".

The answer, as usual, lies somewhere in the middle. What really worries me are two things: First, the line didn't improve much as the season progressed. If they were green to start, you'd think they'd solidify as we got later into the season. B (to quote Buzz from Home Alone), the problems looked like the type of problems that should be easy to rectify. It wasn't that they were getting out muscled, most of the time it just looked like they didn't know who to block. That, to me, indicates either that they're dumber than a box of rocks or the coach isn't successfully teaching them what to do.

What really has me confused is that KF was uber complimentary of Barnett mid-season...really gushing over what a great coach he is. Was that an attempt to deflect criticism or do we have a "great coach" who, for some reason, can't teach a handful of college kids their blocking assignments and techniques to deal with the stunts/moves DL were using against us?

It's gonna be really interesting to see how this off-season and next fall play out. When KF named BF OC, I really expected Kirk to pull out all the stops to give him the "tools" to be successful. I thought he'd look for JUCO players, emphasize offensive recruiting, etc to ensure BF's success. Yet, to the contrary, he seems to have done the exact opposite. It's really a head-scratcher.

I am optimistic for next season. I think the Hawks should be able to make a serious run to win the West.
Is this based primarily on the QB upgrade? I just don't have confidence that the O line will be where we need it, we're hurting at WR, TE feels thin, and we're losing some really good defenders.

Is this based primarily on the QB upgrade? I just don't have confidence that the O line will be where we need it, we're hurting at WR, TE feels thin, and we're losing some really good defenders.

The majority opinion the past offseason was that the offense and especially the o line would be better because how could they be worse? 22 said "hold my beer". Your prior post about the O line nailed it. They didn't improve and looked lost. The pic of Plumb standing like a statue looking to his left while the Nubby edge guy ran past him will live forever as the picture of this O line under Barnett.

...Keagan Johnson and Sam Laporta were really the lone bright spots on offense, and one of them is gone. If the Hawks land All and keep Lachey, at least Sam's departure will be ok. And the QB problem has likely been fixed, if he can stay healthy. So, TE, QB and RB look pretty good.

That leaves a lot of question marks on offense, regardless of who the OC will be.
Both are gone. Johnson transferred and LaPorta graduated.

O linemen more than anything at this point.
I beg to differ a bit...is O line a need right now? Yes. Is it the most important - probably not. We have literally no for sure WRs coming back as it stands. And the ones that are potentially coming back have been banged up and have zero experience. Brecht isn't even a full time football player at this point.

My wish would be to evolve a full time FB into a 3rd TE/FB.

Thought I remembered seeing him essentially recommit via Twitter to Iowa. Aside from him taking that visit to Oregon, there’s been nothing that I’ve heard on the various podcasts I listen to that says he’s wavering.
I think we are all more than hopeful, but Bama and Oregon are still lingering around.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Bowl game is hardly something to use to measure any success given 6 wins gets you in a bowl game. Bowl games do not mean what they used to IMO.
Ok..go tell ISU that...oh wait. U obviously know nothing about program development and bowl game practice.

This is the truth. That line, even at it's best this season, was one of the most inept O lines I've seen at this level. Going back to your first sentence, the people who hate the coaches will say (with some degree of validity) that it's the coach's responsibility to ensure we have capable players and that they're well-coached. People who give the coaches the benefit of the doubt will say "yeah, but we had some unexpected attrition there".

The answer, as usual, lies somewhere in the middle. What really worries me are two things: First, the line didn't improve much as the season progressed. If they were green to start, you'd think they'd solidify as we got later into the season. B (to quote Buzz from Home Alone), the problems looked like the type of problems that should be easy to rectify. It wasn't that they were getting out muscled, most of the time it just looked like they didn't know who to block. That, to me, indicates either that they're dumber than a box of rocks or the coach isn't successfully teaching them what to do.

What really has me confused is that KF was uber complimentary of Barnett mid-season...really gushing over what a great coach he is. Was that an attempt to deflect criticism or do we have a "great coach" who, for some reason, can't teach a handful of college kids their blocking assignments and techniques to deal with the stunts/moves DL were using against us?

It's gonna be really interesting to see how this off-season and next fall play out. When KF named BF OC, I really expected Kirk to pull out all the stops to give him the "tools" to be successful. I thought he'd look for JUCO players, emphasize offensive recruiting, etc to ensure BF's success. Yet, to the contrary, he seems to have done the exact opposite. It's really a head-scratcher.
Exactly on the missed blocks and not knowing who. I am not an X & O’s guy, not really an offensive guy, and at this stage of my life, it’s not important for me to be… I like defense a lot… And I understand it!

With that said, sitting down and watching some of that stuff on replays, it literally looked like they went the complete wrong direction, many, many times, and then their technique and their sliding off of a block or completely whiffing with hand placement was egregious!!

As I pointed out to someone yesterday, if Jones was our second best O-lineman, as he said, we may still be in trouble because man was he poor!

PS….your last comments about KF giving BF all the tools is also a good one & indeed a head scratcher! To me they still look like they way over emphasize D-recruiting!

I beg to differ a bit...is O line a need right now? Yes. Is it the most important - probably not. We have literally no for sure WRs coming back as it stands. And the ones that are potentially coming back have been banged up and have zero experience. Brecht isn't even a full time football player at this point.
I agree we need wide receivers as well, but if Cade has no time for his receivers to get open the offense will only be slightly better due to having a better qb. Vines and Nico(?) are decent…but sure, we need an upgrade/additions there…

Partly. But I am also going on the assumption Kirk will bring in a couple of transfers that will help.

Heck....if we had a better QB than Petras the Hawks would have a minimum of 9 wins this season.

Looking ahead to the 2023 schedule our cross-over games with the East should be much more manageable than 2022. Purdue and Minnesota have the toughest draw next year.

Iowa - @PSU, MSU, RU
Wisconsin - RU, OSU, @ IU
Purdue - OSU, @MI, IU
Minnesota - MI, MSU, @OSU
Illinois - PSU, @MD, IU
Northwestern - @RU, PSU, MD
Nebraska - MI, @MSU, MD

1. We need 2 new O Tackles. Proctor + TBD?
2. We need 2 new WR (1 with elite quickness and 1 with a big catch radius) (could be an incoming freshman like Bostick but likely need some juice from the portal)
3. We need 1 new CB
Decent list. Assuming the 2 portal transfers and Proctor are ours, we are still short at least one OL (center and/or tackle -- get a good specimen at one of these spots and the entire line likely becomes respectable) and one good WR (with big play threat ie in ISM mould) on O. Need another CB and a LB on D to limit how much the defense slips (D will be worse next year for sure, just need to ensure that the drop isn't drastic.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT