ADVERTISEMENT

2024/25 Wbb thread

What was needed around Caitlin Clark is very different than what will be needed without her. I think the coaches have a tough job evaluating how that looks. Simply plugging in what you contributed last year won't do it. Who can make this play?

That’s the kind of play that Bluder basically eliminated from her offense. Kate only began taking those shots in the NCAA tourney this year bc she was feeling hot and playing free. For most of five years she was not taking that shot and rly no one was allowed to except Clark.

Ideally Hannah could add that to her game but I’m not sure she can. Sydney also has a decent mid range game that she hasn’t been able to show much of bc Bluder discourages it. Idk if that changes or not next year. Olsen has an excellent mid range game and those kinds of shots are in her wheelhouse. I would guess Bluder plans to let her shine but I’m not convinced she’ll give Hannah and Syd the same green light.

In any case I’m not really sure your argument that the team will “go nowhere” holds the weight you think it does bc the goal of this season will not be to make a final four. The ceiling (and likely goal) for next year is to make the sweet 16. If chemistry and execution come along, they can certainly compete to host the first two rounds and advance past the round of 32 by sticking to Bluder’s typical offense, which largely relies on high percentage shots (transition layups, catch and shoot 3s from her 2/3 and hopefully 4, and old school post moves from her 4 & 5).

That’s the kind of play that Bluder basically eliminated from her offense. Kate only began taking those shots in the NCAA tourney this year bc she was feeling hot and playing free. For most of five years she was not taking that shot and rly no one was allowed to except Clark.

Ideally Hannah could add that to her game but I’m not sure she can. Sydney also has a decent mid range game that she hasn’t been able to show much of bc Bluder discourages it. Idk if that changes or not next year. Olsen has an excellent mid range game and those kinds of shots are in her wheelhouse. I would guess Bluder plans to let her shine but I’m not convinced she’ll give Hannah and Syd the same green light.

In any case I’m not really sure your argument that the team will “go nowhere” holds the weight you think it does bc the goal of this season will not be to make a final four. The ceiling (and likely goal) for next year is to make the sweet 16. If chemistry and execution come along, they can certainly compete to host the first two rounds and advance past the round of 32 by sticking to Bluder’s typical offense, which largely relies on high percentage shots (transition layups, catch and shoot 3s from her 2/3 and hopefully 4, and old school post moves from her 4 & 5).
If Bluder tries to play the same type of game she did with Clark, I think your expectations are highly optimistic. There needs to be three players on the court that can generate offense on their own (from whatever distance). She's had the luxury of Clark being the offense for 4 years. That's gone.

Martin did that in the UConn game because Clark was shut down. That's pretty much all they had in the 4th quarter.

If they are successful (successful=win games) I guarantee it will be because McCabe or Feuerbach either steps up their game considerably or one or two of the freshmen steps in and gets it done. Olsen alone will get doubled until that player emerges.

Reactions: Torg
If they are successful (successful=win games) I guarantee it will be because McCabe or Feuerbach either steps up their game considerably or one or two of the freshmen steps in and gets it done. Olsen alone will get doubled until that player emerges.
I’m sure Bluder will be making many adjustments. But she has always relied on ball movement and I don’t see that changing. I do expect to see quite a bit of driving to the hoop from both Stuelke and Affolter, but the team will now rely upon a different PG to generate the offense and Bluder will fine tune everyone’s roles based on their strengths. My guess is a few players have strengths none of us have seen.

IMO both McCabe and Feuerbach need to be reliably hitting 2-3 treys per game for this team to reach their ceiling. Both need to improve their handles as well. Heiden should be aiming to average 5-7 pts per game by mid-season, O’Grady 8-10. Maybe as the season goes on those 2 switch expectations. Jada and Mallegni need to become helpful as well, hopefully on the perimeter and with rebounds.

If all those things can happen, they just might make it out of the Round of 32.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkod
Hell I said it in my post, now that I look again….they are dolts because they literally think they know more than our coach….

THAT makes them dolts….. you know reading comprehension is a skill, one that apparently you don’t have
Did you take your medicine today? I've seen you rant before and then I've seen you very polite. Today you are ranting

Disagree- Kate did this all season and showed flashes of it in her junior and senior years too.

Reactions: ichawk24

I'd never seen Tomi speak directly on her decision to grad transfer:
"We had discussions about the possibility of me playing for them during my extra year, but I had already made up my mind about transferring to another college for a different academic and basketball experience. Up to my senior year, I had spent my entire life in the Midwest, and I saw the Covid year as an opportunity to live and experience another part of the country. Importantly, I was looking for a particular Master’s program and Health Certificate combination, and it was obvious to me that TCU was the right fit. I have to say, though, that because of the interest from many coaches from various colleges across the country, the decision was more difficult to make than l initially thought. I would like to say that l enjoyed my four years at Iowa and I am thankful for the opportunity to be part of that program."

Initial starting lineup:
Olsen
McCabe
Affolter
Stuelke
O'Grady

Feuerbach/Mallegni/Heiden & Guyton get bench minutes (assuming no setbacks in her recovery)...maybe Stremlow impresses while Guyton is working her way back?

Our roster is full at 15 on scholarship, correct?

How could they add this gal for the 2024-25 season?

I'm thinking maybe there isn't a strict roster size limit, just how many players you can dress in a game. Scholarship limit of course is no problem nowadays.

Hell I said it in my post, now that I look again….they are dolts because they literally think they know more than our coach….

THAT makes them dolts….. you know reading comprehension is a skill, one that apparently you don’t have

We are predicting playing time for next year, and you're yelling at everyone that they are dolts for thinking they know more than Bluder. How are we disagreeing with LB? We are not. You are constantly attacking straw men that don't exist, so you can yell at people. You and I are basically "on the same side" about Hawkeye things, yet all you do is argue with an argument that hasn't been presented. I've pointed this out in the past, yet you're an angry person who just wants to argue.

Unfortunately, you're joining all the dolts who I have put on ignore. Good luck yelling at the straw men, but you've lost me.

Reactions: BGHAWK

I'd never seen Tomi speak directly on her decision to grad transfer:
"We had discussions about the possibility of me playing for them during my extra year, but I had already made up my mind about transferring to another college for a different academic and basketball experience. Up to my senior year, I had spent my entire life in the Midwest, and I saw the Covid year as an opportunity to live and experience another part of the country. Importantly, I was looking for a particular Master’s program and Health Certificate combination, and it was obvious to me that TCU was the right fit. I have to say, though, that because of the interest from many coaches from various colleges across the country, the decision was more difficult to make than l initially thought. I would like to say that l enjoyed my four years at Iowa and I am thankful for the opportunity to be part of that program."
That's interesting. I'd always that assumed she and Logan Cook were not offered scholarships for an additional year. I think that she went to at least three high schools, so she definitely doesn't let grass grow under her feet.
Vaguely recall her being described as "in the doghouse" at one point during her senior year. Looking at her minutes played, probably would have been in January. She was a solid contributor down the stretch.
Could have used her in 22-23, especially after Feuerbach went down, but unlikely to have brought in Molly if she stayed on scholarship?

Sounds like we don't have a scholarship but will pull some NIL shenanigans to pay her way if we land a new recruit.

Talia von Oelhoffen transferred from Oregon State to USC

i

Reactions: Torg
I would like to think one of the best class of recruits for Lisa coming in this summer will have an impact. Four top hundred recruits with many 4 star ranking. No 5 stars but some 3 or 4 stars that had immediate impact as key bench and some that started in the past. Meyer, Logic, Megan. Disterhoff, McKenna, Printy, Marshall, Coley, and Stuelke. I am sure I missed some. I am hoping the two bigger gals play
Heiden, and Mallegani are going to play. I have Zero doubt about that......

I'm thinking maybe there isn't a strict roster size limit, just how many players you can dress in a game. Scholarship limit of course is no problem nowadays.
I think you are incorrect. There IS a roster limit......We've talked at length about how they may open a spot..

Only 15 can travel, no limit for how many on the bench at home.

Well yes… the statement I quoted was about roster size, not scholarships
The way I took Upstreams post when he said, "scholarship limit is no longer an issue" meant he was talking about rides. NIL or not there is still a limit on rides, (15 for women and 13 for men). It remains unclear how NIL could get around that, and technically even that is NOT NIL.....

Being in the off season , like football maybe the difference. Once fall practice starts and certainly by opening of classes, I believe you have to be at NCAA limits

Only 15 can travel, no limit for how many on the bench at home.
If true, that works for this team bc Ava Jones doesn’t travel with the team.
I haven't seen Heiden play other than a little video but I did watch mallegani last winter in the one game last winter and she looked very impressive
Heiden is the kind of post player that will thrive under Bluder. And the best part is she wants to do so. I think Bluder has been waiting for this kind of a post for awhile. Think Ogradys potential and size (but much more highly ranked) with Czinanos attitude/commitment to the role, could maybe even see flashes of Gustafson.
She is the 4th best C in the class of 2024. Agile for a big and embraces contact on the block.

Last edited:
Yeah some of these guys have an extreme hard on for McCabe. It’s hard to figure….

By years end it was pretty clear LB knew a lot more about her roster than these dolts..

Feurbach will be the starter unless someone takes the job from her and it could be a new girls, But right now Taylor has a lot to improve on.

😂
She is not that bad as a ball handler. Just needs to slow down and not driving into the lane, picking up the ball with no where to go

We are predicting playing time for next year, and you're yelling at everyone that they are dolts for thinking they know more than Bluder. How are we disagreeing with LB? We are not. You are constantly attacking straw men that don't exist, so you can yell at people. You and I are basically "on the same side" about Hawkeye things, yet all you do is argue with an argument that hasn't been presented. I've pointed this out in the past, yet you're an angry person who just wants to argue.

Unfortunately, you're joining all the dolts who I have put on ignore. Good luck yelling at the straw men, but you've lost me.

So no one bitched last year about McCabe not playing….

And after you answer yes, is it not the same guys suggesting she should be the starter now….

That clears up any confusion

If true, that works for this team bc Ava Jones doesn’t travel with the team.
Heiden is the kind of post player that will thrive under Bluder. And the best part is she wants to do so. I think Bluder has been waiting for this kind of a post for awhile. She is the 4th best C in the class of 2024. Agile for a big and embraces contact on the block.
Nor does she sit on the bench at home.......

Being in the off season , like football maybe the difference. Once fall practice starts and certainly by opening of classes, I believe you have to be at NCAA limits
Cmon. Basketball at 15 and football at 85 are not the same thing. Bluder isn't going to bring in a player at this point unless they are going to be on the roster come fall. The only exception would be if she already knows that someone currently on the 15 limit will not be come fall....

Reactions: cmhawks99
Are you hoping she transfers or something?

Or are we getting a new head coach?

Or do you just want to see her shoot shots that will get her benched?
What are you talking about? Stulke is not playing the 5 position in the Wnba so I think she would probably want to play as a power forward or even a 3 position. And the new center coming in, Heiden iirc, is 6' 4" and maybe good enough to play a lot of minutes. That is all I am saying is Hannah might play away from the bucket more the next 2 years

What are you talking about? Stulke is not playing the 5 position in the Wnba so I think she would probably want to play as a power forward or even a 3 position. And the new center coming in, Heiden iirc, is 6' 4" and maybe good enough to play a lot of minutes. That is all I am saying is Hannah might play away from the bucket more the next 2 years
Stuelke plays better down low. Unless she develops an outside shot.

Not disagreeing with anything there

My comment was on something about a midrange shot you suggested…something that is not part of the way Lisa seems to game plan. Take the three or go to the hoop

Reactions: shikreto

Three of our non-conference games. Don't think I'd seen these announced yet. Quite a shock to see Wazzu as a buy game considering they're still technically a P5 school through the summer.

Reactions: shikreto
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT