ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Lester's Offense

obfuscating

HR Legend
Jan 8, 2016
Do you all think we will see anything new in Spring ball? If Deacon is trotted out as #2 QB, will those in attendance boo, laugh, or cry? Will Lester be allowed to significantly change the schematics of the offense to .... scheme WR's open or stretch the field?

The unknown is so much fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: intrepodor
Will Resar even be on Campus in the Spring? If not Iowa will only have 2 scholarship QBs to even get thru the Spring practices without a portal add, I will lose My shit if Deacon is taking the #1 snaps tho for sure.
Hate to say/think it, but I wonder if Lester got the job over Johns because he was more willing to work with DH at QB and have Budmayr as his WR coach. John’s probably gave a resounding “no” like any other OC worth his salt would.

Do you all think we will see anything new in Spring ball? If Deacon is trotted out as #2 QB, will those in attendance boo, laugh, or cry? Will Lester be able to significantly change the schematics of the offense to .... scheme WR's open or stretch the field?

The unknown is so much fun.
If he does I would hope it's only for some specific situational evaluation, and would be out quickly. I hope he's not even on the roster by then.

The question is, will Kirk let Lester run the offense the way he wants to? I’ve heard from multiple people (Cory from From The Hawkeye Of The Storm for example) that Kirk is not a play caller.

If he does, I can’t see Deacon being used. His experience should be irrelevant. He doesn’t have the talent, skill, and mobility to run an RPO. If Cade isn’t ready, Marco has to be the guy. If he’s shaky on the pass than so be it.

But I genuinely believe that it will be better than Brian’s offense.

There is not a viable offensive scheme in existence at this level that would warrant Deacon Hill as a top 2 option. If he is truly the second-best option on the roster, then this staff has failed at recruiting and/or development. So what am I getting at? If Kirk ultimately makes the call that Deacon is the guy if Cade cannot go, then Lester will fail. No doubt about it. I will not judge his competency until I see how competent player personnel executes his plans. That may mean that we do not learn much this spring if Cade is still hurt.

Hate to say/think it, but I wonder if Lester got the job over Johns because he was more willing to work with DH at QB and have Budmayr as his WR coach. John’s probably gave a resounding “no” like any other OC worth his salt would.
I think this could be the case for Budmayr since it sounds like he will be the WR coach but if that's also the case for Hill.......we are doomed

Will Resar even be on Campus in the Spring? If not Iowa will only have 2 scholarship QBs to even get thru the Spring practices without a portal add, I will lose My shit if Deacon is taking the #1 snaps tho for sure.
No, he will not be here until fall so we will only have 2 scholarship QBs on campus for spring ball.

If Hill is ahead of Lainez next season then I will completely lose hope until the KF era is over.
The fatigue of Petras and Hill is too much to overcome. Even with great D & ST. I will stop watching. Even past handful of years couldn't schedule wkd around the game. Lost interest with such a sh!tty O and not even one change whether it be QB, innovative plays, etc. Even for the B10 champ game with nothing to lose. Kirk likes to make us all insane!

Probably as he wasn't an early enrollee, he will be in the summer like all the other 24 recruits.

If Deacon lumbers out this spring 250+ that is a sign that he should not be in the mix. He should've known the spring before that he was 1 play away, and he still showed up in that condition at fall camp.

You hate to say that huh?

If Deacon lumbers out this spring 250+ that is a sign that he should not be in the mix. He should've known the spring before that he was 1 play away, and he still showed up in that condition at fall camp.
What condition? That's just who he is, and he ain't a D1 QB. Guy isn't going to suddenly slim down to 225 anymore than he is going to develop an accurate arm or feet that aren't cast in concrete.

Kirk is not a play caller.
what-the-hell-498-x-280-gif-x8mfdvnx7kedsq68.gif

Simple addition but I would like to see more roll outs. Why they didn't do that with the OL issues is a head scratcher, maybe it was Hill's mobility that hindered it. Seems like that use to be the offenses bread and butter but just went away the last few years.

This.

If, whoever the OC is uses this for his play calls…..

th

And not something similar to this….

th

Then I’d say we will see the same kind of play calling and results from the offense as the last three years.
Maybe he will use the new Apple VR headset. Probably illegal to do so.

What condition? That's just who he is, and he ain't a D1 QB. Guy isn't going to suddenly slim down to 225 anymore than he is going to develop an accurate arm or feet that aren't cast in concrete.
Someone that big & that young should be able to drop 25 lbs easily. He's a former swimmer and with some effort & a personal trainer & nutritionist he can drop that weight in two months easily.

working out big ang GIF by RealityTVGIFs

Reactions: herkhatescy
Someone that big & that young should be able to drop 25 lbs easily. He's a former swimmer and with some effort & a personal trainer & nutritionist he can drop that weight in two months easily.

Or just an Iowa strength and conditioning program???

He'll do that about the same time he puts in work with a QB coach and starts hitting WRs in the hands.

LOL, you have a very active imagination. I doubt any of this is factual.

LOL, you have a very active imagination. I doubt any of this is factual.
Who are you, the speculation police?
I've come around on the Lester hire, but the more accomplished Johns was in the running, and Lester got the nod over him for some reason. Nobody knows why, so fans discuss it on message boards. What I suggested is not out of the question. Sorry you don't like it.
Now go remind everybody about 10 wins.

Reactions: Bierhalter
The question is, will Kirk let Lester run the offense the way he wants to? I’ve heard from multiple people (Cory from From The Hawkeye Of The Storm for example) that Kirk is not a play caller.

If he does, I can’t see Deacon being used. His experience should be irrelevant. He doesn’t have the talent, skill, and mobility to run an RPO. If Cade isn’t ready, Marco has to be the guy. If he’s shaky on the pass than so be it.

But I genuinely believe that it will be better than Brian’s offense.
I'm not advocating for Deacon but RPO does not require a mobile QB. You're thinking of read option.

But from your understanding of RPO, your suggestion is to impose a scheme regardless of its fit for the players. Isn't that one of the main problems people had with Brian?

Schematics are so far down the line of reasons why Iowa's offense has struggled

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT