ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Lineup and Expectation

They are having intrasquad matches this week. Last year the results were at least posted on twitter. Looks like we may not even see that this year.

No, but we may attract some new fans if we open up the curtain a bit. I'm also going to give Soldier Salute another shot this year. I just don't think we got as much out of the tournament last year, as we would've at the Midlands.

The Soldier Salute is a long play. If competition doesn’t improve this year they will need to reassess the event.

The lineup of teams for the SS is not bad,
Highlighting
Iowa, Minny, Uni and NC.
I thought they would get a few more teams to compete in this.

Whats the local thoughts on the subject?

No, but we may attract some new fans if we open up the curtain a bit. I'm also going to give Soldier Salute another shot this year. I just don't think we got as much out of the tournament last year, as we would've at the Midlands.
We've already got more fans than our arena will hold. I don't think Doug and Bob can pony up a few hundred million for a new arena;););)

If I remember correctly the Midlands was continuously becoming more and more watered down. Now Im not sure the SS will be any better but at least its local and we are running it. Hopefully its better this season and continues to grow.

If I remember correctly the Midlands was continuously becoming more and more watered down. Now Im not sure the SS will be any better but at least its local and we are running it. Hopefully its better this season and continues to grow.
Midlands needs to move its date. It's such a terribly timed event.

Last edited:
I actually thought about Nickal vs Dean,
And the taller, longer Nickal took care of business. Again, not doubting Brooks’ skills or ability just curious to see how 5’9” Brooks fares against a taller challenger.
Brooks is very technically sound and has strength to match. To your point, however, I would agree the taller & lankier guys with flexibility & good leverage will give him the most trouble. I’m not betting against him in any match, though.

Brooks is very technically sound and has strength to match. To your point, however, I would agree the taller & lankier guys with flexibility & good leverage will give him the most trouble. I’m not betting against him in any match, though.
Nor am I. Too show me that he's beatable at 97 somebody is actually going to have to beat him.

well hell, i do not think vhsalum would post the bad news unless he had a reason.he is mostly spot on with his posts. it got me thinking, now wut

125- drake stay healthy, top 5
133-teske a couple of matches last year i thought he was in trouble he hung around and won, rd 12
141-woods watchout for the young bloods, champ
149 what good is a top game if you don't get a take down, ferrari, 5th-8th
157-franek big has top 3 guys at this weight if i'm being honest, 3rd
165- caliendo 65 is tough cal can beat some of those guys, can he beat 3 of them in a row, 5/6 th
now it gets interesting
174- love gabe like to save him for when our prospects are better, riggins idk
184- swafford hey this guy is a national champ, given some time in the lineup he might rise to this level, rd 16
197- ferrari ,sloan, buchanon,elam all really good,A.J. is better, 2nd
hvy- i think kueter will go wish he wouldn't, rd 12

be nice you meat heads, that's the most i've posted in one shot

well hell, i do not think vhsalum would post the bad news unless he had a reason.he is mostly spot on with his posts. it got me thinking, now wut

133-teske a couple of matches last year i thought he was in trouble he hung around and won, rd 12
165- caliendo 65 is tough cal can beat some of those guys, can he beat 3 of them in a row, 5/6 th
now it gets interesting
184- swafford hey this guy is a national champ, given some time in the lineup he might rise to this level, rd 16

We’ll have Kennedy. His suspension was shorter than the others.

Not in agreement that PK is an option, or even the best option for 174. Nelson unless something is brewing w suspensions.

Not in agreement that PK is an option, or even the best option for 174. Nelson unless something is brewing w suspensions.
Nelson is definitely the better option. I was going off some of the insiders here who said the suspensions will be upheld.

Reactions: sabula

now it gets interesting

I think those are all realistic predictions/assessments. When I see Franek against an unranked freshman take it to a decision I get nervous. Clearly it was never in question but I would sure like to see more than 2 TDs against anyone not in the top 20. WRT Ferrari if he goes at 149, I see 149 as the weakest weight class. Therefore, if he really has the goods I don't see why he can't compete against anyone but perhaps Lovett and SVN...and maybe Parco. Could be his first and biggest chance to really shake things up and perhaps even steal the show.

Reactions: otiee007
I think those are all realistic predictions/assessments. When I see Franek against an unranked freshman take it to a decision I get nervous. Clearly it was never in question but I would sure like to see more than 2 TDs against anyone not in the top 20. WRT Ferrari if he goes at 149, I see 149 as the weakest weight class. Therefore, if he really has the goods I don't see why he can't compete against anyone but perhaps Lovett and SVN...and maybe Parco. Could be his first and biggest chance to really shake things up and perhaps even steal the show.
I’d like to know his current weight. If he’s not at about 149 right now, he’ll never make it, since he’s shredded already.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Great question, same thing I was wondering.
Keep hoping it turns out that Nelson and the others can wrestle this year.
Not sure if true, but I know I had read that athletes could not use a redshirt or medical hardship during the NCAA suspension. Maybe I read it in the lounge on the other site, but I let my membership expire so I can't quote it.

Reactions: vhsalum
Not sure if true, but I know I had read that athletes could not use a redshirt or medical hardship during the NCAA suspension. Maybe I read it in the lounge on the other site, but I let my membership expire so I can't quote it.
Right, but Nelson wouldn't be using it this year. If the NCAA rules against them he would lose this year but should be able to wrestle next year using the medical hardship. It's not the death penalty it's the loss of a year of competition. I'm not positive on this though.

Reactions: eobhawk
Right, but Nelson wouldn't be using it this year. If the NCAA rules against them he would lose this year but should be able to wrestle next year using the medical hardship. It's not the death penalty it's the loss of a year of competition. I'm not positive on this though.
You are probably right. Forgot about Nelson possibly having that extra year. That would still require him to apply for and be granted that hardship year though. I assume the NCAA would not be that vindictive to deny it, but not sure at this point.

You are probably right. Forgot about Nelson possibly having that extra year. That would still require him to apply for and be granted that hardship year though. I assume the NCAA would not be that vindictive to deny it, but not sure at this point.
So if Nelson gets 2 more years, does he bump up to 184 next year, Gabe at 174, Angelo Ferrari redshirt, which he didn’t expect to do.

Well, no. You have to actually be hurt to get another year (or two). It would be a past season that a guy like Brands could get another year for. Not this one.

Well, no. You have to actually be hurt to get another year (or two). It would be a past season that a guy like Brands could get another year for. Not this one.
I'm aware of that. Point was basically you can't have any traditionally excused absence to supersede the suspension. Even if someone had legitimate injuries that would qualify this for a year they could get back, if they were on suspension, during this time, they couldn't get it back.

Maybe I'm wrong. That was just how I thought it was explained.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and vhsalum
I'm aware of that. Point was basically you can't have any traditionally excused absence to supersede the suspension. Even if someone had legitimate injuries that would qualify this for a year they could get back, if they were on suspension, during this time, they couldn't get it back.

Maybe I'm wrong. That was just how I thought it was explained.s
At media day, Nelson said he could have 2 more seasons, counting a medical redshirt for his arm injury, and he planned on using them. Worst case senerio is he looses this season , and would only have one more to use next season. I’m assuming they will get Gabe in the line up, so Nelson will have to bump up and Ferrari redshirt. Probably would be good for Ferrari to redshirt to meet his multiple championship goals. Not easy to win a championship as a true freshman in the upper weights like his brother did. Even at middle weight, a super stud like Haines, who trained with the college team instead of doing his senior year of high school, still lost to a senior in the finals.

So if Nelson gets 2 more years, does he bump up to 184 next year, Gabe at 174, Angelo Ferrari redshirt, which he didn’t expect to do.
Well this is all hypothetical still at this point. My $0.02 worth though in the event that guys do lose the year...

***Warning Rant Ahead***

IF that is the case, I think you go with Gabe at 174, Swafford @184 a Hail Mary at 197 (hoping for news at semester break), and Hill/BK at heavy. Then worry about next year through recruiting, transfers and/or the room. Easier said than done, but we need to be recruiting athletes that can hit the mat on day 1 if needed like Gabe and BK. If they are ready then put them out there. If not, there is always the transfer portal and just ask PSU fans, we throw bags of cash at potential transfers.

We can't be holding guys back based on what they may do in 3-4 years. We have seen enough injuries and transfers to know that it is better to fire your shot now than hope you can fire it tomorrow.

Getting freshman on the mat will 1) spread money out over four years instead of five and 2) attract other top p4p wrestlers that see they can hit the mat on day one.

If we would go from athletes taking up scholarship $$ one less year on average, that equates to roughly a 20% increase in scholarships to allocate. We need to be spending strategically on high end recruits that can step on the mat on day one, not guys that need two+ years in the program.

Okay, I feel better now. Been needing to get that off my chest for a while. Nothing new overall there, but it is the first time I've sacked up enough to say it. Fire away. ;)

Well this is all hypothetical still at this point. My $0.02 worth though in the event that guys do lose the year...

***Warning Rant Ahead***

IF that is the case, I think you go with Gabe at 174, Swafford @184 a Hail Mary at 197 (hoping for news at semester break), and Hill/BK at heavy. Then worry about next year through recruiting, transfers and/or the room. Easier said than done, but we need to be recruiting athletes that can hit the mat on day 1 if needed like Gabe and BK. If they are ready then put them out there. If not, there is always the transfer portal and just ask PSU fans, we throw bags of cash at potential transfers.

We can't be holding guys back based on what they may do in 3-4 years. We have seen enough injuries and transfers to know that it is better to fire your shot now than hope you can fire it tomorrow.

Getting freshman on the mat will 1) spread money out over four years instead of five and 2) attract other top p4p wrestlers that see they can hit the mat on day one.

If we would go from athletes taking up scholarship $$ one less year on average, that equates to roughly a 20% increase in scholarships to allocate. We need to be spending strategically on high end recruits that can step on the mat on day one, not guys that need two+ years in the program.

Okay, I feel better now. Been needing to get that off my chest for a while. Nothing new overall there, but it is the first time I've sacked up enough to say it. Fire away. ;)
In theory, this all sounds great, but in real life, it hasn't worked out well for Iowa. Other teams (probably because they get all those top ten pfp guys) have had success with this practice, but Iowa not so much. In the last 40-45 years, Iowa has only had three guys that the no Redshirt thing really worked out for, Ed Banach, Lincoln McIlravy, and Spencer Lee. Some other really great wrestlers wasted their first year of eligibility by not taking the shirt. Think Barry Davis, Jeff McGinness, and Joe Williams. Some it affected even more badly, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Some teams keep their Freshmen sheltered from the upperclassmen to save their confidence level. Iowa, on the other hand, beats all the cockiness out of the incoming guys. I've personally known a couple of great HS wrestlers who got into the room and couldn't score a takedown for months. That messes with their psyche when they're used to scoring on anyone. Gabe might be on that shortlist above, and maybe young Ferrari will be, but most guys really benefit from a year of maturing.
I agree that we need to find ways to beef up the lineup in weaker spots, and this summer proved that, despite all the talk of an even playing field with NIL, we can't just buy people away from PSU. We need to be more creative somehow. Just not sure what that somehow is. I'm all for trying something though, for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT