ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Lineup and Expectation

"no reason to think that result gets turned around"

dude that was a 2-1 rideouts match. definition of a match that is likely to get turned around. coin flip every time.
We are on the Iowa message board. Why are giving the coin flip match that we won last year to the enemy???

Reactions: Grip220
"no reason to think that result gets turned around"

dude that was a 2-1 rideouts match. definition of a match that is likely to get turned around. coin flip every time.
But honestly Kennedy was never in danger of getting taken down in the match. PK was in on shots but didn't finish. I don't think either of our guys lose to Facundo. If Messenbrink is at 165, the match gets considerably tougher.

People on here talk like he sucks. He's pretty good. Not good enough to AA so far, but consistently a top 20 guy.
I don’t think anyone on this board actually thinks he sucks. I think most (including me) were extremely excited when he signed. At one point he was the number one 182lber in the country. Unfortunately, he has been a huge disappointment. I hope he can make a post season run and end up on the podium, but I’ll temper my expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
....and that's how we close the gap on PSU. Consistenly get top 20 guys who prolly wont AA.
You do realize that even PSU has 1 or 2 of these types(or worse) in their lineup every year, right? In the last 50-60 years or so only 3(Minnesota and Iowa-2xs) teams have had all 10 guys finish top 10 and that is ONLY if you consider R12 as T-9th.

Minnesota(2001)-10 AA's and Iowa(1983) & (1997) with 9 AA's and 1 R12, both times . Of course these 3 teams RAN AWAY with it....

So, if your 10th best guy is ranked 15ish you are still doing better than basically every other team almost every other year...

Last edited:
Reactions: ff141
Iowa's 1983 team also had 9 AAs (all of them B1G champs) plus Rico who was R12
Thanks, I thought there was 1 more Iowa year with Rico being involved, but I looked up 85 and 86 and then stopped....

Edited and corrected above.

We are on the Iowa message board. Why are giving the coin flip match that we won last year to the enemy???
I think because most of us assume it will be Mesenbrink who is better than both. I'd pick PK in a rematch, but I think that's razor thin every time.

The best lineup is Caliendo 165 Kennedy 174 Brands 184 . Assad has an ORS available. Franklin/Glazier can go 1st semester at 197 then AJ 197 2nd semester That's the best scoring team at NCAA's. And maybe Assad decides he doesn't want to ORS and he goes 197 1st semester if he's not the 184. Tons of moving parts from 165-197

Reactions: IRONBIRD
The best lineup is Caliendo 165 Kennedy 174 Brands 184 . Assad has an ORS available. Franklin/Glazier can go 1st semester at 197 then AJ 197 2nd semester That's the best scoring team at NCAA's. And maybe Assad decides he doesn't want to ORS and he goes 197 1st semester if he's not the 184. Tons of moving parts from 165-197
I think Kennedy and Brands are too small for this lineup to be effective at nationals. Brands at 174 would be better in this scenario. Kennedy already looked smallish at 165 (I know, he’s big boned). And let’s not string Assad’s eligibility out any further.

I’ll believe Brands can make a real impact at 184 when I see it. I’d prefer he stay at 174 where he finally found his groove. Moving two guys out of ideal weights to squeeze a R16 guy in the lineup isn’t ideal.

I think Kennedy and Brands are too small for this lineup to be effective at nationals. Brands at 174 would be better in this scenario. Kennedy already looked smallish at 165 (I know, he’s big boned). And let’s not string Assad’s eligibility out any further.
Agree, but the issue is one point scorer at Nattys doesn't see the lineup. And NIL for Caliendo means he can't sit.

Let’s see…

The guy who’s spent the last 3 seasons winning NCAA titles while day in and day out training in the best room in the country

OR:

A guy who hasn’t wrestled in 2 years while trying to stay out of the slammer.

Such a tough call.
The ONE guy is a REAL 197 whilst the other is a short small 184. the great Krailure will certainly have him on the special F*** st stuff. Even so, he will be small for 197 and AJ is HUGE for the weight!

NOTE; Funny how the F*** st guys can go up weights but IOWAs never can???

The ONE guy is a REAL 197 whilst the other is a short small 184. the great Krailure will certainly have him on the special F*** st stuff. Even so, he will be small for 197 and AJ is HUGE for the weight!

I remember when everyone said Bo Nickal was too small for 197.

Banking on AJ is bananas. Get him actually into school and on the mat before claiming he can beat a 3 time NCAA champ after a multi year layoff.

Banking on AJ is bananas. Get him actually into school and on the mat before claiming he can beat a 3 time NCAA champ after a multi year layoff.

Who's everyone? Bo always had the length to go 197, he hadn't lost a match in more than two years, and he went through the competition at 184 his junior year like a hot knife through butter. The only 197er I thought could possibly give Nickal a go was Moore, and Bo beat him handily in the finals. Pretty sure I wasn't the only one who penciled Bo in as the champ at 197 his senior year.

Reactions: Grip220
Who's everyone? Bo always had the length to go 197, he hadn't lost a match in more than two years, and he went through the competition at 184 his junior year like a hot knife through butter. The only 197er I thought could possibly give Nickal a go was Moore, and Bo beat him handily in the finals. Pretty sure I wasn't the only one who penciled Bo in as the champ at 197 his senior year.

Yeah that was hyperbole. I obviously didn’t mean literally everyone.

Let’s see…

The guy who’s spent the last 3 seasons winning NCAA titles while day in and day out training in the best room in the country

OR:

A guy who hasn’t wrestled in 2 years while trying to stay out of the slammer.

Such a tough call.

I don’t think he would beat Brooks in the first meeting in the duel, but would have 2 more shots at him to figure him out and shake off the rust. I think Brooks is still the favorite to win nationals, but AJ will keep in close with strength and defense, so anything can happen. Nickal was a freak, but 197 then didn’t have talent like today if AJ joins Brooks along with Hilday bumping up.

Not sure I understand this at all . What we were discussing was what we “think” is going to be the results of a duel match

I for one don’t change how I “think” based off what message Board I am on. I do however try not to troll.

But back to the wrestling. Both matches I have watched between facundo and Kennedy were won by Kennedy. But the only way facundo breaches the lineup this year imo is if he can beat either Haines or facundo which to me means he would have to drastically improve his wrestling .

I don’t count that possibility out because I think much of facundo s issues are in his brain.

For me Kennedy is a local boy, as are the berges and Robb. I just think he has a tough road ahead of him against PSU this year if he gets the nod at 165 .

Anyway it’s gonna be a fun match at 165 regardless.

So I’m supposed to answer your question, after you ducked mine? Are you a child?
I answered your question.

I say go with another option when the past 184 guy didn't do anything.

Am I clear?

Now answer my question.

I say go with another option when the past 184 guy didn't do anything.

Am I clear?

Now answer my question.

Just so we are clear, I asked you a yes or no question. You replied with neither. So am I to take it that your answer to this question was “Yes”?

So we should start someone who isn't as good instead?

To prove I’m a good sport, I’m happy to answer yours:

Truthfully, I don’t know. But if it’s even a half point it’s better than the alternative, which is going with an undersized guy who has struggled to compete at 174. Ain’t no one else in that room qualifying at 184. (Except Brands, but that’s a much different scenario than what we are talking about.)

You always wrestle the best guy. He’s the one who earned it.

Reactions: MitchLL
Just so we are clear, I asked you a yes or no question. You replied with neither. So am I to take it that your answer to this question was “Yes”?

To prove I’m a good sport, I’m happy to answer yours:

Truthfully, I don’t know. But if it’s even a half point it’s better than the alternative, which is going with an undersized guy who has struggled to compete at 174. Ain’t no one else in that room qualifying at 184. (Except Brands, but that’s a much different scenario than what we are talking about.)

You always wrestle the best guy. He’s the one who earned it.
Bottom line to me is Iowa didn't change any upper weight coaches, so I don't know where any improvement comes from?
Personally, I think Assad's issues might be between the ears.
184 will apparently be manned by either undersized guys or AA. Neither seems like a great scenario to me.
But I'm just some keyboard warrior with an opinion.

Bottom line to me is Iowa didn't change any upper weight coaches, so I don't know where any improvement comes from?
Personally, I think Assad's issues might be between the ears.
184 will apparently be manned by either undersized guys or AA. Neither seems like a great scenario to me.
But I'm just some keyboard warrior with an opinion.

To be clear, I don’t have a bunch of optimism about Assad. But you can’t just sack him because you feel like it. Not when the drop off is so significant.

Just one little point of interest, there is a chance that some are underestimating how good AJ was the year he won nationals as a freshman.
First we need him to actually get on our team, then we need to see how good he is now. IMO he was nowhere near his peak and he was really freaken good, freakish even.
Now I would also give Brooks the edge right now in a dog fight, but what if AJ after his time off and by March of next year has completely jumped levels. Its not like he has been sitting on the couch while away from the NCAA’s he has been all over the country training with the best people.

Reactions: depelland

#1) BabblinBrooks is no BOKnowsChit!!! #2) Babbling is not as tall as BoKnowsChit, #3) BoKnowsChit did not have anyone nearly as good as AJ! #4) You assume AJ has been sitting idle on his dead ass which is not the case! #5) IF the plan is for him to wrestle? AND IF he is going to be a HAWK? I would have to assume that he will be Wrestling/training somewhere before 2nd semester!

Being a Freshman champion at 197 is NO joke!!! Fully understand that Babbling Brooks is very good. He appears to be MAYBE 5-10? Oddly we have not seen the famous pictures out of F*** st like we did with MacintoshApple, BrownStain, BoKnowChit, CassarSalad etc....

The GreatKralure will certainly have him down at the "lab" with the special stuff IF he is moving up? Like I said, they have their spies out monitoring this situation very closely. I am sure they have calls out to the NCAA to see if AJ will be back? You will see Babblin down at 84 if that is the case I believe.

#1) BabblinBrooks is no BOKnowsChit!!! #2) Babbling is not as tall as BoKnowsChit, #3) BoKnowsChit did not have anyone nearly as good as AJ! #4) You assume AJ has been sitting idle on his dead ass which is not the case! #5) IF the plan is for him to wrestle? AND IF he is going to be a HAWK? I would have to assume that he will be Wrestling/training somewhere before 2nd semester!

Being a Freshman champion at 197 is NO joke!!! Fully understand that Babbling Brooks is very good. He appears to be MAYBE 5-10? Oddly we have not seen the famous pictures out of F*** st like we did with MacintoshApple, BrownStain, BoKnowChit, CassarSalad etc....

The GreatKralure will certainly have him down at the "lab" with the special stuff IF he is moving up? Like I said, they have their spies out monitoring this situation very closely. I am sure they have calls out to the NCAA to see if AJ will be back? You will see Babblin down at 84 if that is the case I believe.

Jesus.

Just one little point of interest, there is a chance that some are underestimating how good AJ was the year he won nationals as a freshman.
First we need him to actually get on our team, then we need to see how good he is now. IMO he was nowhere near his peak and he was really freaken good, freakish even.
Now I would also give Brooks the edge right now in a dog fight, but what if AJ after his time off and by March of next year has completely jumped levels. Its not like he has been sitting on the couch while away from the NCAA’s he has been all over the country training with the best people.
The word “freakish” is very fitting and in a good way. Definitely my pick to describe what I watched and what I continue to see.

If memory served he not only won but dominated the field as a true freshman at age 19. You simply don’t lose all that talent , his flexibility and strength seem unreal .

It is odd though that we really haven’t seen him in a wrestling venue for two years , as in almost everything social media was simply working out or mma related.

Personally I think he has a few missing screws but besides brooks I’m not sure he will lose another match. The wild card factor here is amazing and I wouldn’t be betting my money on the match.

A Brooks Ferrari matchup would be in my top 3 los of matches in most looking forward to this year at the collegiate level

funny i remember kem dog starting out at157 and going up TWO weights to 174. What kind of magic juice was he on?

Reactions: hlstone
I couldn’t believe how he was man handling upper class guys at 197 as a true freshman.

Reactions: IRONBIRD

Tears in my eyes at this absolute masterclass

crying-tears.gif

The word “freakish” is very fitting and in a good way. Definitely my pick to describe what I watched and what I continue to see.

If memory served he not only won but dominated the field as a true freshman at age 19. You simply don’t lose all that talent , his flexibility and strength seem unreal .

It is odd though that we really haven’t seen him in a wrestling venue for two years , as in almost everything social media was simply working out or mma related.

Personally I think he has a few missing screws but besides brooks I’m not sure he will lose another match. The wild card factor here is amazing and I wouldn’t be betting my money on the match.

A Brooks Ferrari matchup would be in my top 3 los of matches in most looking forward to this year at the collegiate level
I couldn’t believe how he was man handling upper class guys at 197 as a true freshman.
This is exactly why anyone who thinks Brooks is definitely favored over AJ needs to check their memory.
Brooks is one of the most dominant wrestlers in the NCAA and is only getting better. He also gave Taylor a run for his money, but I think if Taylor opened up in an international tournament against Brooks it would not be close.
AJ will not get bullied, in fact he may very well be doing a bit of bullying at 197, both have very good gas tanks and multiple ways to score. I say its a coin flip and with a good amount of training at IOWA I will take AJ in the finals.

This is exactly why anyone who thinks Brooks is definitely favored over AJ needs to check their memory.
Brooks is one of the most dominant wrestlers in the NCAA and is only getting better. He also gave Taylor a run for his money, but I think if Taylor opened up in an international tournament against Brooks it would not be close.
AJ will not get bullied, in fact he may very well be doing a bit of bullying at 197, both have very good gas tanks and multiple ways to score. I say its a coin flip and with a good amount of training at IOWA I will take AJ in the finals.
when was the last time AJ competed?

play-fighting that punching bag on instagram doesn't count

Reactions: goldenanimal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT