ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Starting Oline

Remember Lying Donnie Sexual Abuser's main mantra, "don't believe your eyes, don't believe your ears, only believe what I tell you." The cult's central tenant.
Hope you're not meandering thru your apartment hallways while typing that nonsense?

Reactions: LIV4GOD
Richman is one of the very worst tackles I have ever seen at Iowa. I am in no means a Proctor fan but he was better than Richman as a high school Sophomore. Richman is that bad. At least give us someone that a defensive lineman will be slowed up by instead of a guy that absolutely whiffs on numerous occasions per game.
Richman earned the nickname "turnstile ".

Reactions: WEH8ST8HAWK
Nothing Earth shattering here, but hearing from my source at practices that the D-line still looks head and shoulders above our O-line in practice and that at times coaches need to shuffle some of the Dline in order to have the Oline do what they want to do. Quarterback, as we know, is a glaring issue. This person said that the offense does look much better scheme wise. Said we do a lot of motion each play and are doing more misdirection. Didn’t get anything on specifics of who looks good or not.
If this trend holds true into next season then it's time to send Barnett back to the MAC. This is bordering on BF level absurdity.

If this trend holds true into next season then it's time to send Barnett back to the MAC. This is bordering on BF level absurdity.
Yeah, it didn't happen overnight and it feels like the oline was stronger and was able to impose their will even though opponents knew what the O would do. In fact opposing players would make those kind of statements.

Last edited:
Is this what it’s going to be like the rest of the year? Someone starts an interesting topic and it’s infected by politics/name calling? Not just one topic but nearly all of them. It’s tedious. Let me know now, so I can take my talents somewhere else. Sigh.
I’m sorry…I attempted to correct/provide my insight on another person’s political diatribe…it won’t happen again.

I can tell you who doesn't look good. Richman, Dejong and Jones about half the time. If those are truly going to be our starters we can expect turnstiles at several positions again and more of the same offensive shortcomings because the qb's and rb's won't have time to do anything.
This is just my opinion but I think our biggest issue the last 3 years is we are constantly starting 5 guards out there.
Although he's inconsistent I think at least the tools are there for Dunker to be a good Tackle.

Guys like Richman, DeJong, and Plumb are only "Tackles" if you look at Height/Weight. But my god it is painfully obvious they are either guards or FCS talent when you look at the footwork and footspeed.

This is just my opinion but I think our biggest issue the last 3 years is we are constantly starting 5 guards out there.
Although he's inconsistent I think at least the tools are there for Dunker to be a good Tackle.

Guys like Richman, DeJong, and Plumb are only "Tackles" if you look at Height/Weight. But my god it is painfully obvious they are either guards or FCS talent when you look at the footwork and footspeed.
Jones at Center is a guy I shake my head about. He has set the all time strength records for the position but gets blown into the backfield on occasion. It's like nobody has taught him to bend his knees and get his ass down to have leverage over the guy in front of him.
I also hate that we retreat as fast as we can before we engage anyone on pass blocking. It's hard to have any strength to slow anyone down when you are running backwards as fast as you can. I was taught to engage, then give ground and then engage again. We don't engage half the time until the dlineman is 5 feet past the line of scrimmage. It isn't working...
And don't get me started on the zone blocking scheme.....

Jones at Center is a guy I shake my head about. He has set the all time strength records for the position but gets blown into the backfield on occasion. It's like nobody has taught him to bend his knees and get his ass down to have leverage over the guy in front of him.
I also hate that we retreat as fast as we can before we engage anyone on pass blocking. It's hard to have any strength to slow anyone down when you are running backwards as fast as you can. I was taught to engage, then give ground and then engage again. We don't engage half the time until the dlineman is 5 feet past the line of scrimmage. It isn't working...
Zone blocking is Case #1AAAAAA on Kirk's stubbornness. I think one reason it isn't as effective is obviously cut blocking rules. I personally think the biggest reason it isn't effective is the implementation of spread offenses to every school besides Iowa. Linebackers are smaller and faster and twitchier because of the Spread Offense. Lineman aren't asked to get to that second level and engage with a slow 250+ Linebacker anymore. Because of the evolution of speed across the board I feel lineman are consistently a step too slow at that second level

As far as Jones I personally feel bad for him. I've said on here before I not only think Elsbury is a better Center but I think the run game is more consistent with him as well. I think Jones with his strength could be a good DT. Unfortunately I also think that maybe his collegiate and potentially NFL career has been ruined with the position switch.

As far as Jones I personally feel bad for him. I've said on here before I not only think Elsbury is a better Center but I think the run game is more consistent with him as well. I think Jones with his strength could be a good DT. Unfortunately I also think that maybe his collegiate and potentially NFL career has been ruined with the position switch.
The move of Tyler L from D Line to center worked so well, I think KF thought he could just plug and play Jones and he'd get the same results. Nope.

I think his issue is he's thinking too much about just getting a clean snap to the QB. It's ruining the rest of his game

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Not sure how we would know, but the Center has to make blocking calls presnap. The wrong call could make the line look bad, when in reality they did what they were told to.

I hold out hope (like Charlie Brown) that our OL will be the most improved unit over last year. I do think the play calling could help it out more also.

Nothing Earth shattering here, but hearing from my source at practices that the D-line still looks head and shoulders above our O-line in practice and that at times coaches need to shuffle some of the Dline in order to have the Oline do what they want to do. Quarterback, as we know, is a glaring issue. This person said that the offense does look much better scheme wise. Said we do a lot of motion each play and are doing more misdirection. Didn’t get anything on specifics of who looks good or not.
Thanks for sharing

Zone blocking is Case #1AAAAAA on Kirk's stubbornness. I think one reason it isn't as effective is obviously cut blocking rules. I personally think the biggest reason it isn't effective is the implementation of spread offenses to every school besides Iowa. Linebackers are smaller and faster and twitchier because of the Spread Offense. Lineman aren't asked to get to that second level and engage with a slow 250+ Linebacker anymore. Because of the evolution of speed across the board I feel lineman are consistently a step too slow at that second level
This is a truth statement. ^

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT