ADVERTISEMENT

2025 MBB Recruiting Thread

crazy that we got a commit from the 2026 class before the 2025 class
Agreed.

Me thinks Fran is done with the high school recruits this year, meaning he either gets a commit from those they already offered for '25, or he just goes all in on the transfer portal after the season ends.

Reactions: Sexican
200w.gif

It's not like Fran is not going after guards.

Simon Walker was a priority; he simply chose the in-state school (and probably the better NIL package).

With Walker gone, and Mosely apparently looking for $$$, do we know Fran's plan B for guards? We need 2 imo, but one could be from the portal. Any more news on Winters, who seemed to have surprising interest for someone from the left coast.

IMO, FM usually cannot seem to close the deal in recruiting on 4/5 star players. It will be even more problematic at this point given 1) his age 2) reputation, 3) NCAA tourney history, 4) Indiana connections/leaving 5) no BIG championships ever, 6) usually .500 +/- record, etc. JMO, but Iowa should cut their losses with him as coach and move on.
Freeman was a 3 star, the Murray's were 2-3 stars, White was hardly ranked only recruited by Dusquense. I believe most services had Garza as a 3 star. Tony was a 2-3 star. Fran can coach and develop players.

I actually think this is one of his more athletic teams, which could equate to better defense. This squad should be good inside, better off the dribble and perimeter shooting could be very good. I'm optimistic for a good season.

With Moline's Braden Freeman now committed to Cal Poly I'm going to throw it out there that this will be Owen Freeman's last year at Iowa before jumping to the NBA. We'll see, the NBA money will be his for the taking.

With Moline's Braden Freeman now committed to Cal Poly I'm going to throw it out there that this will be Owen Freeman's last year at Iowa before jumping to the NBA. We'll see, the NBA money will be his for the taking.
You really love Freeman and Harding. I get that, but Owen has no outside shot, and really hasn't even shown a lot except offensively near the basket. I'm glad Owen and Brock are Hawkeyes, but you need to recheck your reality meter.

Owen is super good at the college level but he’s a PF at the NBA level and they rarely post up non-centers much less centers (see Keegan’s post ups, and he was good in the post). He needs a skill set that’s half way between his current one and Keegan imo, which he’s working on but is more than a year away.

He could still go pro and get drafted on potential but he’d just be playing in the developmental league instead of Carver that year.

I would love to read his response to this question.
Because the NBA doesn't care if a player has refined their game to NBA levels, they're only after future potential. i hope he stays at Iowa until he graduates and is teammates with Brock for the entire 4 years that would be the best scenario for Iowa in the long run. I doubt that happens though.

Last edited:
Because the NBA doesn't care if a player has refined they're game to NBA levels, they're only after future potential. i hope he stays at Iowa until he graduates and is teammates with Brock for the entire 4 years that would be the best scenario for Iowa in the long run. I doubt that happens though.
He'll stay until Taylor McCabe leaves.

Why would his brother going to Cal Poly influence a decision to go pro after this coming season ?
Because if he came to Iowa he might stick around to play with his brother?

I don’t think Freeman has an NBA game yet. He’d have to develop a 3 point shot. If anything, he might transfer for $ at some point.

My guess is we take two HS kids and look for a transfer in the Spring. Fran is always going to prefer to develop players.

If you’re going to make a statement like that let’s here your proof of what you are alleging.
Long time ago, and I didn't have first-hand knowledge, I heard from several people that the players could basically do whatever they wanted off the court, as long as they showed up to play. What players were doing (e.g., drugs) or not doing (e.g., school) was NOT a priority under Dr, Tom.
Hawkeye fans (myself included) always hated Illannoy coach Lou Do and his bag man Jimmy, but rumors were that Pearl was not exactly following the rules either. This was a very different time than the current NIL/transfer crap that makes almost anything OK.

Reactions: Hawkcub01
Saw a prediction on this site that Thompson is going to Clemson. My guess is Iowa backed off.

I have no clue what is going on with this recruiting class.

Because if he came to Iowa he might stick around to play with his brother?

I don’t think Freeman has an NBA game yet. He’d have to develop a 3 point shot. If anything, he might transfer for $ at some point.

My guess is we take two HS kids and look for a transfer in the Spring. Fran is always going to prefer to develop players.
I don’t think we were ever recruiting his brother.

Long time ago, and I didn't have first-hand knowledge, I heard from several people that the players could basically do whatever they wanted off the court, as long as they showed up to play. What players were doing (e.g., drugs) or not doing (e.g., school) was NOT a priority under Dr, Tom.
Hawkeye fans (myself included) always hated Illannoy coach Lou Do and his bag man Jimmy, but rumors were that Pearl was not exactly following the rules either. This was a very different time than the current NIL/transfer crap that makes almost anything OK.
That is pretty weak sauce to impune Dr Tom with. He is a good person and was an outstanding coach !

That is pretty weak sauce to impune Dr Tom with. He is a good person and was an outstanding coach !
Except with an 16 point halftime lead after his team scored 58 points in the first half.

The most sad moment in Iowa hoops history IMHO. Best team Iowa has ever had.

Saw a prediction on this site that Thompson is going to Clemson. My guess is Iowa backed off.

I have no clue what is going on with this recruiting class.
Hmmmm....if true hope this is part of an recruiting plan and not just another bridesmaid moment.

On Sep 9, 2024 at 7:33 pm Eliot Clough of Hawkeye Beacon predicted that 4 Star and Top 100 prospect Chase Thompson would be committing to the Hawks.

Will he be right?

We'll find out in 2 days.

On Sep 27, 2024 at 10:02 pm Eliot Clough changed his commitment prediction from Iowa to Clemson.

Bummer.

Chase announces his decision later today.

• Wow
Reactions: HIWILLE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT