ADVERTISEMENT

2025 MBB Recruiting Thread

Dr Tom also played cupcakes in the non-conference to make sure he got to 20 wins each season. I think Fran has done a great job all things considered. The eighties Iowa team will never come back. Raveling paid a bunch of players back then and now everyone can pay players, but Iowa lags behind the war chests of big time programs.
Almost all coaches played cupcakes in the non-conference

FIFY

Sounds like you know more than I do. It seems like a harder line might have helped the players with drug problems in their later life, maybe even their future in basketball. In fairness to Dr. Tom, the players I think about were players he inherited from Raveling, probably along with their bad habits. Maybe Fran has just been luckier with the recruits he brought in, or maybe character was a more important concern.
A harder line may have helped. Fran took a chance on a felon and he misstepped and was gone. Not sure if it helped later in that persons life but it didn’t become a PP situation.

A harder line may have helped. Fran took a chance on a felon and he misstepped and was gone. Not sure if it helped later in that persons life but it didn’t become a PP situation.
I don't want to name players, because I know very little and it would be disrespectful, but some players should have achieved much more than they did after they left Iowa. I think drugs and lack of discipline played a big role.

O
Almost all coaches played cupcakes in the non-conference

FIFY
As scheduled are made, coaches look at their team to determine level of competition. When they have a more veteran team, they up the schedule, but with a younger team after several stars leave, then generally downgrade the schedule. That process must be harder to plan for now with unexpected turnover via the portal, positive or negative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT