ADVERTISEMENT

2025 recruiting thread

I think it's amusing how folks on this forum act like they have any idea how a given QB is going to pan out. I think I'll skip the forum expert's opinions as well as the stars and just go by the offer lists which 9 times out of 10 are the best indicators of a prospect's potential. There are exceptions to every rule, but if a prospect has a lot of solid P5 offers, that's a good indication of better potential. Otherwise their ceiling at the P5 level is most likely limited.
Pretty much this.

I think it's amusing how folks on this forum act like they have any idea how a given QB is going to pan out. I think I'll skip the forum expert's opinions as well as the stars and just go by the offer lists which 9 times out of 10 are the best indicators of a prospect's potential. There are exceptions to every rule, but if a prospect has a lot of solid P5 offers, that's a good indication of better potential. Otherwise their ceiling at the P5 level is most likely limited.
Honestly, the fact that he is labeled as a pro-style qb is enough for me to not like him. It doesn’t bode well for improving our offense and doesn’t show we are willing to change our offense.

• Haha
Reactions: JRich52806
Throwing mechanics are like a baseball swing, or pitching. There are a hell of a lot of ways to do it, and a lot of very successful motions have been effed up by “fixing” them. It’s something that people are starting to understand.

Can you imagine if 12 year old Jim Furyk went to a golf lesson today?

(Dismounting from soapbox)
I was a D1 college Pitcher so I am familiar with throwing mechanics , Sullivan dips in the apple basket as it used to be called to start His delivery , He just needs to invert the start of the delivery by getting the FB up and at His ear, Easy mechanical fix and makes the release much quicker as well as protects the FB from getting stripped at the hip. He is a Decent prospect with decent legs, pocket awareness and accuracy. Like Isaid a Texas Tech style QB which is no insult at all .

• Love
Reactions: LukaDuka and h-hawk
How the hell did we land a qb without an OC? @obfuscating said that was impossible!!!
Glad you are excited about a 3 star that Budweiser helped recruit (you know the guy that brought in Dunkin Donuts Deacon). FFS - you call me out for this? Let me know when we land that 5star that picked Iowa over OSU, UM, AL, GA, WA, USC, OR, etc...

This is a yawner.

• Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44
I was a D1 college Pitcher so I am familiar with throwing mechanics , Sullivan dips in the apple basket as it used to be called to start His delivery , He just needs to invert the start of the delivery by getting the FB up and at His ear, Easy mechanical fix and makes the release much quicker as well as protects the FB from getting stripped at the hip. He is a Decent prospect with decent legs, pocket awareness and accuracy. Like Isaid a Texas Tech style QB which is no insult at all .
I don’t doubt your credentials at all, and no, TTU QB is no insult.

I’m suggesting that for a long time coaches have tried to stuff throwing mechanics into specific boxes. They have done the same with hitting mechanics in baseball.

I believe the specific thing you mentioned “keeping the ball near their ear” is one of universal things that coaches have taught for a long time, and are finding it is not necessarily a good thing, and certainly not a good thing for all QBs. It’s the old “well we’ve always done it this way.”

It’s like icing injuries. I’m a trainer, and that is something that has always been done after an injury. That is not what should be done, and it’s just now becoming more widely realized.

A saying I like to use is this: If we knew the best way to do everything, nothing would ever get any better.

Reactions: nu2u and h-hawk
Glad you are excited about a 3 star that Budweiser helped recruit (you know the guy that brought in Dunkin Donuts Deacon). FFS - you call me out for this? Let me know when we land that 5star that picked Iowa over OSU, UM, AL, GA, WA, USC, OR, etc...

This is a yawner.
Our recent 4 stars at the position hadn't worked as well, so we are going to 3s.

Reactions: obfuscating
I don’t doubt your credentials at all, and no, TTU QB is no insult.

I’m suggesting that for a long time coaches have tried to stuff throwing mechanics into specific boxes. They have done the same with hitting mechanics in baseball.

I believe the specific thing you mentioned “keeping the ball near their ear” is one of universal things that coaches have taught for a long time, and are finding it is not necessarily a good thing, and certainly not a good thing for all QBs. It’s the old “well we’ve always done it this way.”

It’s like icing injuries. I’m a trainer, and that is something that has always been done after an injury. That is not what should be done, and it’s just now becoming more widely realized.

A saying I like to use is this: If we knew the best way to do everything, nothing would ever get any better.

Any good meta-analysis, key studies, or systematic review on that? Not being snarky. Generally curious.

Any good meta-analysis, key studies, or systematic review on that? Not being snarky. Generally curious.
Are you talking about icing?

If so, yes. There are several studies supporting not icing acute injuries.

Again, it’s just starting to catch on, but it seems it does not help, and may indeed hinder the healing process.

There are certainly times to ice, but in most cases, it’s probably not the way to go. If you just want to relieve pain, go for it.

Think of it this way. When there is an injury, your body is reacting with swelling for a reason. One, it is trying to heal the injury. Two, it can act as a natural splint. Evidence suggests that swelling does not cause any range of motion loss after the swelling is relieved.

Again, I’m not saying there is never benefit to icing, but I can say with confidence, there is a better way to treat acute injuries than we’ve been doing it forever.

I would make the analogy of eating fat. Several decades ago, people decided that eating any fat caused heart attacks without any actual evidence. I can assure you that eating two loaves of Wonder Bread everyday is is going to clog that heart up a lot faster than eating 5 avocados everyday.

Last edited:
Reactions: LukaDuka and nu2u
Nice to be in his top 11 but it looks like the Irish are leading the pack. Chryst has a lot of ties in Wisconsin, if he is our OC, maybe that would help.
I wouldn't hate Chryst as the OC, but I can't say I'd be a huge fan of it either. My mind is more blown that someone like Deion hasn't gone out and nabbed Chryst and Fitz for OC/DC spots.

Are you talking about icing?

If so, yes. There are several studies supporting not icing acute injuries.

Again, it’s just starting to catch on, but it seems it does not help, and may indeed hinder the healing process.

There are certainly times to ice, but in most cases, it’s probably not the way to go. If you just want to relieve pain, go for it.

Think of it this way. When there is an injury, your body is reacting with swelling for a reason. One, it is trying to heal the injury. Two, it can act as a natural splint. Evidence suggests that swelling does not cause any range of motion loss after the swelling is relieved.

Again, I’m not saying there is never benefit to icing, but I can say with confidence, there is a better way to treat acute injuries than we’ve been doing it forever.

I would make the analogy of eating fat. Several decades ago, people decided that eating any fat caused heart attacks without any actual evidence. I can assure you that eating two loaves of Wonder Bread everyday is is going to clog that heart up a lot faster than eating 5 avocados everyday.
Interesting. Is compression still legit for common injuries? I suppose it depends on the location and severity.

I am far from an expert, but also noticed his delivery started by dipping low. About half way through the provided clip I noticed the shorter passes were better in this regard. Potentially he has already worked on this some.

Drew Tate was the QB here I thought had the fastest delivery and he kept the ball up high.

Hawks know about him, visited twice this fall. I think I read they wanted to have him in for a camp this spring. Similar scenario to McCaslin.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Zay Robinson landed a KSU offer. I have to think he is leaning more hawk given the recent news of Proctor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT