ADVERTISEMENT

*** #21 Iowa vs #23 Ohio State WBB Game ***

Womens officials are bad, have always been bad, and will continually be bad. If Iowa could play defense this game would have been over mid 3rd quarter. Probably be a top 5 team if Bluder emphasized D.
The salaries of Ncaa Basketball Referees in the US range from $10,067 to $200,447 , with a median salary of $36,801 . The middle 57% of Ncaa Basketball Referees makes between $36,803 and $91,194, with the top 86% making $200,447.

NCAA will equalize pay for men’s and women’s basketball referees​

Reactions: natchrlman
Gabby Marshall sort of standing on the opposite block—not guarding anyone—while an OSU player went in for an uncontested layup was the microcosm of the game.
Gabbie also got laid out on an illegal screen that wasn't called. She's one of the best defenders on the team. But she was dazed for several minutes and had to come out of the game.

We have Wisconsin coming in a few days and can regroup. This game was never guaranteed and the team that is the worst matchup for us defensively. The defense has actually been better as a whole this season but OSU shot the lights out and got away with several fouls that were not called and the kicked ball.

There was a lot of things that went wrong in that game :/ Didn’t help McKenna was playing with one hand and Gabbie got knocked

Someone was saying #1 for OSU flipped Caitlin off and gave her a nice little “FU”, anybody catch that?

It's not just the kicked ball non-call that was so frustrating. (Which was so clearly a kick that all the players on the court collectively stopped moving.) It's that when Clark chased Harris down to tie her up, a foul was called on Clark instead of a jump ball. When Harris was just rolling on the ground with the ball and Clark stuck her hands down to touch it for a moment? OSU of course goes on to score that possession.

Bluder in the postgame mentioned that Gabbie's shoulder was injured on one of OSU's "screens" which is why she didn't play in the final minutes of the game. Seemed concerned about whether Gabbie could play on Thursday.

Braydon I’m gonna need your analysis
I'm working on a recap. Should be done soon, but I'm not sure when it'll be posted (I don't control that). I go deeper into my thoughts there. A short summary:

Iowa's execution in the last few minutes played a huge role in that loss. On both ends. If Iowa fought for rebounds hard, we win the game. If Iowa had any sort of offensive ideas beyond ball screens and feeding Czinano late, we win.

But my God the officiating was atrocious. The kicked ball was one of the bigger missed calls I think I've ever seen given the circumstances. It wasn't even a judgment call. That's a kicked ball under anyone's definition and all three of them missed it. They compounded it by calling a foul on Clark on what should've been a jump ball.

I at least understand not calling the foul on Warnock late. She was off-balance before the foul. But it was also clearly a foul on replay, and Clark was wide open at the three-point line just beyond her. If she doesn't get fouled and kicks it out, I think Clark knocks down the winner.

I hate focusing so much on referees in a game like that. Iowa has plenty of fault in that loss. But it's just insane that referees continue to blow calls in those situations and face no repercussions. It's killing my interest in basketball.

It's not just the kicked ball non-call that was so frustrating. (Which was so clearly a kick that all the players on the court collectively stopped moving.) It's that when Clark chased Harris down to tie her up, a foul was called on Clark instead of a jump ball. When Harris was just rolling on the ground with the ball and Clark stuck her hands down to touch it for a moment? OSU of course goes on to score that possession.

Bluder in the postgame mentioned that Gabbie's shoulder was injured on one of OSU's "screens" which is why she didn't play in the final minutes of the game. Seemed concerned about whether Gabbie could play on Thursday.
Yikes :( The injury bug has crept up on us

Shouldn't be surprised we had two of the most senior referees in the Big Ten and yet they were so bad. And on top of that I thought we ran out of gas in the 4th quarter, leading to the bad turnovers and inability to stop the ball on runouts.

We have Wisconsin coming in a few days and can regroup. This game was never guaranteed and the team that is the worst matchup for us defensively. The defense has actually been better as a whole this season but OSU shot the lights out and got away with several fouls that were not called and the kicked ball.
Mmmm yes, all that is true.. The women's refs decided to swallow their whistles down the stretch because they didn't want to make another "wrong" call.......even though calling nothing is also wrong and you still get caught in the end.

But their offense late was too slow and predictable, they got careless with the ball, especially Clark, and their help defense is non-existent, which is something I can't even say about the men shockingly enough.

At least the men commit to help and allow teams to clearly plan and anticipate for this so they can kick it out for wide open 3s that never miss.

If the women get beat, that's pretty much the end of it.

There is no way in hell we're winning @ Michigan on Sunday. Especially, if we end up being down Gabbie and one-handed McKenna.

There is no way in hell we're winning @ Michigan on Sunday. Especially, if we end up being down Gabbie and one-handed McKenna.
Gabbie should be fine. She was shaken up but back in late. We match up better against MIchigan but i'm not expecting to pull the upset.

The kicked ball was the killer. The refs blew that play and it truly cost us.

Gabbie should be fine. She was shaken up but back in late. We match up better against MIchigan but i'm not expecting to pull the upset.
Ehh Bluder said she was very concerned about our injuries in the postgame conference. “I am very concerned. We only have so many bodies left…It’s hard when you are losing your starters like that.” Credit to https://iowa.rivals.com/news/buckeyes-top-hawkeyes

Womens officials are bad, have always been bad, and will continually be bad. If Iowa could play defense this game would have been over mid 3rd quarter. Probably be a top 5 team if Bluder emphasized D.
Agree. But the missed kicked ball was costly.

When the ball is in your hands for 90% of the game, I am not sure 7 TOs against a top 25 team is that bad of a ratio.

But look at her assist to turnover ratio in the last couple of games. You shouldn't see this with a National Player of the Year candidate, should you?

Assists....Turnovers....
.....7..................7..................4 Pt Loss to Ohio State
.....5.................11.................OT win at N'western

I just think if this team wants to accomplish things like wining a B1G title and advancing far into the NCAA Tournament, they need to clean up their issues with (1) turnovers and (2) poor defense. Winning games is hard enough but when your ball handling is sloppy and you can't stop the ball on defense, well, a lot of goals are not going to be met.

Refs really screwed the pooch the last 2 minutes of the game, looks like the BIG refs just suck in general not just for the men's game!

Reactions: amahawk
Gabbie also got laid out on an illegal screen that wasn't called. She's one of the best defenders on the team. But she was dazed for several minutes and had to come out of the game.
Yup and that was crap as well. But her watching the layup was well before that.
They are like the men: can be very entertaining to watch on one end of the court and then maddening on the other end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT