ADVERTISEMENT

24-25 schedule

If they were clearly better Buchanan and Teemer wouldn’t be here.
I honestly did not think Teemer would end up at Iowa. The information I had gotten was Teemer was a no go for us, but obviously that was not correct. A matchup I would not want to have at the National Tournament is Cobe vs Teemer.

Keep in mind mitch is just being his usual clueless self. I'm not sure there's a poster on here that's more consistent.
What part is clueless...that Iowa bought better wrestlers than they had at 157 and 197?

Be specific.

I honestly did not think Teemer would end up at Iowa. The information I had gotten was Teemer was a no go for us, but obviously that was not correct. A matchup I would not want to have at the National Tournament is Cobe vs Teemer.
Cobe is a big move guy with a lot of funk. He wouldn't be the favorite against Teemer, but could beat anyone at 157 if they got in the wrong position with him.

What part is clueless...that Iowa bought better wrestlers than they had at 157 and 197?

Be specific.
Part 1: Comparing a guy who benched his nephew in favor of a true freshman who was marginally better to Ferentz knowing Kirks history with QB's. Just a completely clueless comparison.

Part 2: Thinking any of these transfers are guaranteed starting spots because they're getting paid more. Hint: They're getting paid more because they're better. They're starting because they're better.

The donors paying NIL get a return on their investment when the team wins. The team wins by having the best wrestlers in the lineup. If a current guy made a giant leap he could absolutely win the spot. I personally think Cobe has made big strides, and will have a very good season. I've seen him send our 165's for a ride more than once. However, judging by what they have accomplished so far, it's clueless to act like money would be why Teemer is starting. Cobe would've had the chance to earn the spot, but there are limited opportunities, and he would've had to be lights out to beat out a proven commodity.

A big donor travels with the team occasionally and I know he never involves himself with lineup decisions for such obvious reasons it's crazy a grown adult needs it explained to them. It just takes a special kind of clueless to think Tom Brands is being told who to start by the donors. Like next level clueless.

Part 1: Comparing a guy who benched his nephew in favor of a true freshman who was marginally better to Ferentz knowing Kirks history with QB's. Just a completely clueless comparison.

Part 2: Thinking any of these transfers are guaranteed starting spots because they're getting paid more. Hint: They're getting paid more because they're better. They're starting because they're better.

The donors paying NIL get a return on their investment when the team wins. The team wins by having the best wrestlers in the lineup. If a current guy made a giant leap he could absolutely win the spot. I personally think Cobe has made big strides, and will have a very good season. I've seen him send our 165's for a ride more than once. However, judging by what they have accomplished so far, it's clueless to act like money would be why Teemer is starting. Cobe would've had the chance to earn the spot, but there are limited opportunities, and he would've had to be lights out to beat out a proven commodity.

A big donor travels with the team occasionally and I know he never involves himself with lineup decisions for such obvious reasons it's crazy a grown adult needs it explained to them. It just takes a special kind of clueless to think Tom Brands is being told who to start by the donors. Like next level clueless.

This. It's not black and white. But its also NOT not black and white. It's just simple. These guys are better. period.

Reactions: el dub
Obvious to most but Mitch isn't like most.

Which is why what they do outside of the room has been weighted far more when settling on a starter. Are you saying inside the room is the best way to determine the best guy?

Definitely not saying that at all. Just that there would be guys who would think that because the room goes are going one way - they should be the starter.

Just as an example - it is VERY possible that Cobe would do better than Teemer in the room. Teemer is a show pony. He's going to show up when its time to compete and isn't exactly a fire-breather day after day in the room. So a kid like Cobe would probably be pretty pissed if he were doing better in the room, but not getting the starts.

But we all know Teemer, barring injury - is going to do better when the lights are on.

Nice rant, but you didn't disprove my claim that Teemer and Buchanan have accomplished more than Cobe and ZG.
Your entire spiel only proves you don't agree with my opinion.
That's fine...that's what message boards are for.
The donor part ..I'd bet he had a lengthy convo with Tom before anyone was approached.

Teemer is a guy who will take an unexpected L or two early in the season, but will show up in March. Kind of like Warner. Buchanan will be more steady from start to finish. Patience will be key.
Difficult to imagine Teemer's approach will mesh in the room, but it's all about the end results.

Difficult to imagine Teemer's approach will mesh in the room, but it's all about the end results.
This is what I am curious to see. Teemer's style is the opposite of PUSH, PUSH, FORWARD Iowa style. If Iowa fans saw Teemer wrestling in another teams singlet at Carver Hawkeye they would yelling for stalling early in the first period. But his style works and he scores points doing it so I bet it will work out.

Reactions: MitchLL
IMO Cobe can beat almost anyone…but he doesn’t. His funk is excellent but his defense wasn’t there against the better opponents in the past and his offense wasn’t much better. I hope he excels at SDSU but don’t see a world in which he beats a healthy Teemer this year.

Reactions: el dub and vhsalum
Definitely not saying that at all. Just that there would be guys who would think that because the room goes are going one way - they should be the starter.

Just as an example - it is VERY possible that Cobe would do better than Teemer in the room. Teemer is a show pony. He's going to show up when its time to compete and isn't exactly a fire-breather day after day in the room. So a kid like Cobe would probably be pretty pissed if he were doing better in the room, but not getting the starts.

But we all know Teemer, barring injury - is going to do better when the lights are on.
Don't disagree with that. Some guys run and tell their parents they should be starting since they are winning in the room. That happens everywhere though. Letting them decide it against outside competition is the best way if you want the best chance of March success. In my opinion.

Last edited:
Like Cobe and Glazier but based on the past I don’t see them competing when it matters. I like our new guys!
I get what you're saying. I'm not sure if Glazier has what it takes to be top 5 in the country. I do think a full year in the lineup and wrestling at the National Tournament is going to benefit him this year. I do believe Cobe has what it takes to be top 5. I personally think he would already be an All American if he doesn't tear his shoulder up before postseason.

Reactions: el dub and acuhawk
IMO Cobe can beat almost anyone…but he doesn’t. His funk is excellent but his defense wasn’t there against the better opponents in the past and his offense wasn’t much better. I hope he excels at SDSU but don’t see a world in which he beats a healthy Teemer this year.
Who didn't he have good enough defense against?
Remember he was basically wrestling with one arm at the National Tournament.

Reactions: Inthecircle
Spin away....
LOL Classic clueless Mitch

Edited to add your post.. Feel free to point out where you said they are more accomplished. You said they were guaranteed starters due to the $$$ spent, You also compared a QB under Ferentz to how Brands would handle a big money transfer.

With the $$$ spent on Teemer and Buchanan, there's zero chance they wouldn't be the starters as long as they were healthy.
Think of it like the chance Cade McNamara wouldn't be the starting QB with what was spent to get him here.
Cobe and Glazier were SOL had they stayed unless both changed weights.

Cobe is a big move guy with a lot of funk. He wouldn't be the favorite against Teemer, but could beat anyone at 157 if they got in the wrong position with him.
Teemer wanted a change. Teemer is excellent at upperbody similar situations like Cobe is.
NIL changes things and I hate losing good wrestlers but if we want a championship team this is now what needs to be done along with other improvements.

These guys are now hired not so much recruited and the schools are the ones being interviewed. Let that sink in, along with all the other things that are “better” nowadays!

Teemer is a guy who will take an unexpected L or two early in the season, but will show up in March. Kind of like Warner. Buchanan will be more steady from start to finish. Patience will be key.
Hope he shows up for Cyclones because we might need him in that one.

Who didn't he have good enough defense against?
Remember he was basically wrestling with one arm at the National Tournament.
Brother, an easy one was during the Illinois dual when the Illini brought out Mike Carr. Cobe wasn't able to defend any of Carr's TDs. Yes, the match was somewhat close in the score (12-7), but it was a big fricking game to Carr. The other match I was thinking of was against Saldate at B10s, where Cobe had zero offense and lost by MD. Again, love Cobe and love his funk when he can pull it out, but I don't see him ever being on the podium whether at Iowa or SDSU. He's a great guy but just not the same level as the other great guys who are a step ahead of him...

Last edited:
So we’ve gone from 500,000 to now 100,000. Seems we are getting closer to the truth.

Don't kid yourself. Endene from Wartburg got $100K and a truck to go to WI. That's a guy who's a longshot to AA. Think Teemer and Buchanan aren't getting more than him? Think again.

Come on man. You're a smart dude. While its not that simple - it really is. You don't pay a one-year rental $100,000 or more to even let there be a true competition.

Any coach who pulls this crap is not a coach who has my support. He's also going to lose his team--and quickly so.

NIL incentive is for the opportunity. Still up to the athlete to make good on it.

Any coach who pulls this crap is not a coach who has my support. He's also going to lose his team--and quickly so.

NIL incentive is for the opportunity. Still up to the athlete to make good on it.

This isn't youth sports.

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks.

Care to explain what this means? Thanks.

It isn't even amateur athletics anymore. The purity is gone.

So just saying that the money/accomplishments matter. Teemer, Parco and Buchanan were brought in to man those spots

1. they EARNED it based on their prior production. 2. that money was given to them to compete and (hopefully) perform as per their previous ability. It would take an act of God for them to not be the starter.

Hell, I personally think Block could pass Parco in terms of production - but even he can see the writing on the wall. And so he's going down to 141.

So just saying that the money/accomplishments matter. Teemer, Parco and Buchanan were brought in to man those spots

1. they EARNED it based on their prior production. 2. that money was given to them to compete and (hopefully) perform as per their previous ability. It would take an act of God for them to not be the starter.

Hell, I personally think Block could pass Parco in terms of production - but even he can see the writing on the wall. And so he's going down to 141.
Block wouldn’t be able to pass Parco in production as a redshirt freshman coming off a torn ACL. That’s crazy.

Reactions: T8KUDWN

One reason it would take an "act of God" is that it's so highly unlikely.

That said, at some point the athlete has to produce, because in turn the coach has to produce. If an NIL import/transfer is getting their ass beat by a teammate they will lose their job at some point. Will they be given a lot of rope? Sure. But it's #TTH to claim they are somehow completely safe.

Reactions: vhsalum
Block wouldn’t be able to pass Parco in production as a redshirt freshman coming off a torn ACL. That’s crazy.
Tyler Kasak and Ty Watters outperformed Parco last season as a true freshman. Block was about the same level as Kasak coming out of HS and higher than Watters. Also the older guys get the worse they tend to do at NCAAs.

Reactions: vhsalum
Tyler Kasak and Ty Watters outperformed Parco last season as a true freshman. Block was about the same level as Kasak coming out of HS and higher than Watters. Also the older guys get the worse they tend to do at NCAAs.
Tyler Kasak and Ty Watters are completely different people and just because they succeeded in placing slightly higher than Parco doesn’t mean Block would especially coming off of major surgery. Parco is almost a guaranteed high to mid tier AA, he’s proven it 4 times already.

Tyler Kasak and Ty Watters are completely different people and just because they succeeded in placing slightly higher than Parco doesn’t mean Block would especially coming off of major surgery. Parco is almost a guaranteed high to mid tier AA, he’s proven it 4 times already.
Exactly. Parco is a proven commodity who regardless of whether or not he "wins" the spot in the room he is always going to be the starter. Same with Teemer and Buchanan, they have earned the starting spots and in order to lose them they would have to underperform tremendously in multiple in season events. I am not saying Block would outperform Parco if they were on different teams but it is not unfeasible. However, those three guys have been brought in as proven high AA's and it is going to take a lot more than winning a wrestle-off for anyone else to get the starting nod at 49,57 or 97

Exactly. Parco is a proven commodity who regardless of whether or not he "wins" the spot in the room he is always going to be the starter. Same with Teemer and Buchanan, they have earned the starting spots and in order to lose them they would have to underperform tremendously in multiple in season events. I am not saying Block would outperform Parco if they were on different teams but it is not unfeasible. However, those three guys have been brought in as proven high AA's and it is going to take a lot more than winning a wrestle-off for anyone else to get the starting nod at 49,57 or 97
Rathjen is the guy that this would be an issue for. Block has 141 locked down this year. By the way, respect to Caleb for sticking it out and trying to earn the starting spot the hard way this year. No disrespect to the guys who left, but props to Caleb. If he goes out and beats Parco soundly in the SS finals and wrestles well in his other matches all year he’ll be the guy. It’s all out in front of him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT