ADVERTISEMENT

24-25 schedule

Im interested to see how the new guys do on a Big Ten Schedule and where they will be health wise. A lot different strength of schedule in Big Ten.
Keep sleeping on Rathjen, if he is healthy, like before the knee injury late in the year, he could make noise, Parco is not a given.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub and vhsalum
Im interested to see how the new guys do on a Big Ten Schedule and where they will be health wise. A lot different strength of schedule in Big Ten.
Keep sleeping on Rathjen, if he is healthy, like before the knee injury late in the year, he could make noise, Parco is not a given.
Hmmmm, Parco beat the best version of Max Murin straight up in 2023 at Nationals. Murin is a level above Rathjen IMHO. Hes also a 3X AA (2X NCAA semi-finalist) and Rathjen is a 0X AA. Not sure why some are reluctant to accept that the transfers Iowa got were selected because they were better than the guys we already had in the room at those weights.

Parco is a given.

Hmmmm, Parco beat the best version of Max Murin straight up in 2023 at Nationals. Murin is a level above Rathjen IMHO. Hes also a 3X AA (2X NCAA semi-finalist) and Rathjen is a 0X AA. Not sure why some are reluctant to accept that the transfers Iowa got were selected because they were better than the guys we already had in the room at those weights.
Not reluctant on new guys, no doubt on paper and performance new guys deserve the accolades, I’ve just always felt Rathjen is a kid who rises to the occasion(he was written off last year and everyone thought VV or Ferrari were the guys and he proved coaches and fans wrong) Is it an uphill battle, no doubt. I think if he was healthy going into big tens and NCAA’s he would have made some noise. If and butts though.

Reactions: vhsalum
We have been lead to believe that it wont matter if rathjen beats parco at SS. We paid him to be the guy so it is settled.

Rathjen is the guy that this would be an issue for. Block has 141 locked down this year. By the way, respect to Caleb for sticking it out and trying to earn the starting spot the hard way this year. No disrespect to the guys who left, but props to Caleb. If he goes out and beats Parco soundly in the SS finals and wrestles well in his other matches all year he’ll be the guy. It’s all out in front of him.
Caliendo came in last year getting paid Nil along with Franek knowing he had to beat Kennedy, no small task. Getting Franek last year was all the hoopla in the beginning. I was certainly hoping Franek would at least equal his previous performances.
It turned out Caliendo was the superior performer and the staff let the wrestlers sort it out at 165 & 174, while letting Arnold red shirt to pursue his dreams and let him compete.
It all works out in the end.

He shoots, he scores!! 30 min. from my house.

But might be a tough ticket to get i spose...
Yeah, that’s an interesting venue to say the least. Is this one of these huge suburban mega-schools with insane money for facilities? And what’s the capacity at this gym?

Reactions: sdvike
We have been lead to believe that it wont matter if rathjen beats parco at SS. We paid him to be the guy so it is settled.
That's how coaches lose their jobs - playing guys with the scholarship/NIL money over the better performer who may be a walk on. While I agree Parco will have every opportunity to own the spot, if Rathjen is better he will get it. Money is paid out either way so you might as well put the best line up on the mat.

Not reluctant on new guys, no doubt on paper and performance new guys deserve the accolades, I’ve just always felt Rathjen is a kid who rises to the occasion(he was written off last year and everyone thought VV or Ferrari were the guys and he proved coaches and fans wrong) Is it an uphill battle, no doubt. I think if he was healthy going into big tens and NCAA’s he would have made some noise. If and butts though.
I thought Rathjen was going to be the guy a couple years ago, then Sebreicht hammered him 7-0, and that was without the 3-point TD rule. I think this falls into the “we like our guys” discussion. Parco is a proven commodity. He’s beaten some really good wrestlers, including B10 champion and NCAA runner-up Ridge Lovett. Lovett beat Rathjen 6-0. Parco’s a stud and Hawkeye fans are gonna love him.

Last edited:
I thought Rathjen was going to be the guy a couple years ago, then Sebreicht hammered him 7-0, and that was without the 3-point TD rule. I think this falls into the “we like our guys” discussion. Parco is a proven commodity. He’s beaten some really good wrestlers, including B10 champion and NCAA runner-up Ridge Lovett. Lovett best Rathjen 6-0. Parco’s a stud and Hawkeye fans are gonna love him.
He damn near upset Sasso at the tourney in ‘21. Great match.

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
Hell, I personally think Block could pass Parco in terms of production - but even he can see the writing on the wall. And so he's going down to 141.
Block was going 141 long before Parco. I do have a lot of respect for Caleb sticking around to fight for the spot. Caleb is very athletic and can scramble. I don't think we've seen him reach his ceiling yet. As for Cobe, match ups will go a long ways to how high he can finish. You can say that for most guys hovering around that 8-15 ranking range though.

Right his freshman year. Crazy high scoring match IIRC. He also beat Bryce Andonian, Chance Lamer and Milner from App St( the kid that dominated Murin at Nationals) at that tournament. Parco has a lot of quality wins.
Yes Parco has an impressive hit list. Just from the last two season you have:
2023-24 he beat Ridge (2 times), Lamer, Abas, Ethan Fernandez, Swiderski, D'Emilio
2022-23 Murin, Mauller, Gomez, Abas, Paniro, Milner, Lamer, Arrington, Johnny Lovett

That’s always been odd to me. We like our guys so much that results really don’t matter if we can find a good excuse. Or not.

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
Thanks for the update.
I Hate You Lol GIF by Lifetime

Plus it’s a good early measure, gives teams time to get healthy and ready for conference season. Scrapping soldier solute, midlands, scuffle for cklv is progressive thinking.

They didn’t scrap it. They’ve never brought their team to it. Plus CKLV is 3-4 weeks before any of the other 3 tourneys. It’s not a one or the other thing.

They didn’t scrap it. They’ve never brought their team to it. Plus CKLV is 3-4 weeks before any of the other 3 tourneys. It’s not a one or the other thing.
I just think a 2 day tournament right on the heals of conference season in the toughest conference in the country is not smart for health purposes. If the goal is to get a good tournament test in but end up healthy in March cklv and scrap and late dec tournaments and get healthy, stronger, more skilled walking into big ten season that has seeding implications seems like a smarter option. Not sure on this but does cklv have 3 weigh ins?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT